HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

If all these goalers were available...

View Poll Results: Which goaler would take us to the Finals?
Kolzig 4 8.89%
Burke 0 0%
Cujo 4 8.89%
Khabibulin 31 68.89%
Fernandez 3 6.67%
Biron 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2003, 05:28 AM
Teezax

vCash: 500
If all these goalers were available...

which one should we pursue?

Old
12-18-2003, 05:45 AM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
which one WOULD we pursue?
Hypothetically, I'd take Kolzig, although I'd look hard and long at Khabibulin.

Old
12-18-2003, 05:50 AM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
If we could get any of these guys, I would have to say Khabibulin. He is the most consistent goalie out of all them. He has the ability to win games on his own and he can play for long stretches. Second guy I would go with is Biron. He needs to bulk up a little bit and he will be a very good goalie. Burke is decent because of his size however he does have a history of groin problems. Fernandez is sort of like Hackett, he is good but he just doesn't have what it takes to be a #1 goalie. Cujo, the guy has never had under 2.00 GAA. He doesn't seem to show up in big situations. Kolzig, I would take him I guess but Bulin would be the guy I want.

Old
12-18-2003, 07:14 AM
John Flyers Fan

Khabibulin & Kolzig are the only ones I would have even the slightest bit of interest.

Problen is, if Khabibulin is playing well, then Tampa won't look to move him. If he's not playing well, then I don't want to trade for him.

I don't see us and the Caps as being good trade partners for Kolzig. I could see us making a move on Gonchar, but not Kolzig.

Esche will be the man to pin our hopes to.

Old
12-18-2003, 07:24 AM
MojoJojo

I voted Khabibulin, though I would take Weekes, Vokoun and Thibault over all the others. Probably I would take Weekes over Habib.

Old
12-18-2003, 07:31 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
I voted Khabibulin, though I would take Weekes, Vokoun and Thibault over all the others. Probably I would take Weekes over Habib.

I think Weekes is highly overrated. Thibault is hurt, and Vokoun has never sniffed a playoff series.

Old
12-18-2003, 07:46 AM
MojoJojo

Why is Weekes overrated? Carolina's defense is poor. He has put up good numbers the last three years, and is just coming into his prime. The only problem with him is that hes the only thing keeping Carolina alive right now, so his asking price would be very steep.

Vokoun has never done anything in the Playoffs, and how is that any different from Hackett? He is still a better, younger, cheaper goalie.

Thibault is injured, true, and it is probably wise to wait until he is healthy to see how he recovers. That said, we dont really need him to be healthy now. We need him for March and April.

Old
12-18-2003, 07:49 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Why is Weekes overrated? Carolina's defense is poor. He has put up good numbers the last three years, and is just coming into his prime. The only problem with him is that hes the only thing keeping Carolina alive right now, so his asking price would be very steep.

Vokoun has never done anything in the Playoffs, and how is that any different from Hackett? He is still a better, younger, cheaper goalie.

Thibault is injured, true, and it is probably wise to wait until he is healthy to see how he recovers. That said, we dont really need him to be healthy now. We need him for March and April.

I just have never liked Weekes, and wouldn't trust him to be my starting goalie in the playoffs.

Vokuoun may be better or worse than Hackett or Esche, but if I'm making a trade for a goalie, I'm only doing it for one with proven playoff experience.

Also I think Esche will be the guy, not Hackett.

Old
12-18-2003, 09:23 AM
Fla.Flyer.Fan

Out of that group, I would take Khabibulin, with Kolzig right behind him. But I liked the way Esche played before his injury - I would hope we wait too see how he does when he comes back, before making any major moves.
Nice site, read a lot of good posts before mucking up one of my own!

Old
12-18-2003, 10:03 AM
Rails

Send a message via AIM to Rails
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla.Flyer.Fan
But I liked the way Esche played before his injury - I would hope we wait too see how he does when he comes back, before making any major moves.
Yeah, I hope it doesn't turn out to be like Boucher was in the 01-02 seasons. Boucher and Cechmanek were both playing well. Cechmanek went down and Boucher still played well. THen he went down a little while after Cechmanek came back and never returned to form.

Old
12-18-2003, 10:17 AM
Teezax

Injuries always have a loger affect than we think. It plays with the mind, Esche was doing awesome before getting hurt, he was in the rhythm, needless to say he missed some time and is just about ready to come of the IR. Let's hope the groin problem isn't going to affect his mind, and he can keep up the pace that he started the season with.
Scary though, let's see how it pans out.

Old
12-18-2003, 01:36 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Khabibulin & Kolzig are the only ones I would have even the slightest bit of interest.

Problen is, if Khabibulin is playing well, then Tampa won't look to move him. If he's not playing well, then I don't want to trade for him.

I don't see us and the Caps as being good trade partners for Kolzig. I could see us making a move on Gonchar, but not Kolzig.

Esche will be the man to pin our hopes to.
Exactly, I feel the same way. Of all of those guys up there, those or the onyl two legit upgrades.

Old
12-18-2003, 03:29 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Khabibulin

he would be the difference for the Flyers.

Old
12-18-2003, 03:53 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerGuy69
Khabibulin

he would be the difference for the Flyers.
Thats who I voted for as well (even before tonights game) Hes a clear upgrade on Esche and Hackett.

Unfortunately Clarke doesnt see it so we have to Hope Esche gets hot cause were not going to win the cup with Hackett which is what I and just about all Flyer fans said back in July.

Old
12-18-2003, 04:46 PM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper
Yeah, I hope it doesn't turn out to be like Boucher was in the 01-02 seasons. Boucher and Cechmanek were both playing well. Cechmanek went down and Boucher still played well. THen he went down a little while after Cechmanek came back and never returned to form.
Cechmanek went down a little before the playoffs and I thoght Boucher was very good in net. Bill Barber said Cechmanek would be in net for the playoffs and gave him the last few starts. Boucher was solid and the guys really liked him.

Old
12-18-2003, 06:25 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loose Cannon
After the Oates deal, Snider put call block on so that Clarke can't call or take calls from George Mcphee.
That deal was so good for the Caps, that they're now among the worst teams in the league, while the Flyers are among the best.

Old
12-18-2003, 10:52 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Khabibulin gets my vote as well. Considering Clarkes track record with Tampa Bay, I wouldn't be too shocked to actually see a trade happen (alough unlikely) someday.

Esche is going to have to be the man going into 2004, I just hope Lemelin can teach him to control those rebounds

Old
12-20-2003, 03:19 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
the deal will surely have future impact, which is why they made the deal. BTW, how has Oates' contributions been?
Oh, surely it will. We'll all be saying "Hey, isn't that the guy from the trade all those YEARS ago? We scored!!!!!! Caps lose, again!". Caps management has been right about so many things lately it's just scary to think how intuitive they are. They are the best non-winning team since, what, 1998-99? AWESOME! Here's hoping they get Lindros.

Old
12-20-2003, 10:39 AM
FlyersFan

i like the fact that kolzig has some stanley cup final experience not too long ago, but his play this year has been less than stellar.

Old
12-20-2003, 05:21 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan
i like the fact that kolzig has some stanley cup final experience not too long ago, but his play this year has been less than stellar.
Exactly why we need to make a pitch for him. His value right now is very low and all the Caps need IMO is someone to split time with Ouellet. Can they send Charpentier down without clearing waivers? If we dump Hackett and possibly Handzus I think we might be able to get Kolzig. Handzus is a good defensive player that any team would want. Im sure Primeau will sign with us after this season possibly before the seasons end so Handzus is not necessary for our future. Right now I still have some hope for Esche but I still don't think he is up to the test yet. Like Clarke said we want to win now so we need to get someone who can get us a cup. Of course Khabibulin could be sought after as well but I don't think he is much better then Kolzig plus his value is much higher. Kolzig and Khabibulin are the only two options the Flyers should seek IMO.

Last edited by easton122: 12-20-2003 at 05:47 PM.
Old
12-20-2003, 05:26 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan
He went to the stanley Cup Finals in 1997-98, one year after we went to the Finals.

In the 5 years since the Caps run to the Finals Kolzig has won just 3 playoff games.

Old
12-20-2003, 06:18 PM
Flyers26

Quote:
I just have never liked Weekes, and wouldn't trust him to be my starting goalie in the playoffs.
Checkout his stats, whe "he" knocked the Debs out of the playoffs!

Old
12-20-2003, 06:43 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
Checkout his stats, whe "he" knocked the Debs out of the playoffs!
Yes, let's check those stats.

Game 1 starter - Arturs Irbe - win
Game 2 starter - Artus Irbe - win
Game 3 starter - Arturs Irbe - loss
Game 4 starter - Arturs Irbe - weekes played final 2 periods - loss
Game 5 starter - Weekes - win
Game 6 starter - Weekes - win

Round 2

Game 1 - Weekes - win
Game 2 - Weekes - loss (4-1, when the Canes outshot the Habs 46-16)
Game 3 - Weekes - loss
Game 4 - Weekes - win (he gave up 2 goals in the first and got yanked, Irbe inserted and the team rallied to win)

Irbe played games 5 & 6 of the 2nd round.
Irbe played every minute of the ECF
Irbe played every minute of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Old
12-21-2003, 05:43 AM
stanley

Quote:
the deal will surely have future impact, which is why they made the deal. BTW, how has Oates' contributions been?
Cannon,
On the other side of that coin, it hurt the Flyers' farm system as much as it improved the Caps on-ice future. The Oates trade was a bad deal from minute one. Regardless of whether or not he was resigned, they paid a hefty price for his rental. The only thing they gained by trading for him was the exclusive right to negotiate with him until July 1 of that year.

The only other farm system that is growing, as I've read in another forum, is your own. Congratulations!

Folks,
Weekes is a pretty good young goaltender. I believe he could develop into a solid NHL player, but I don't think he's an upgrade over Esche.

Steve,
I will agree that Khabibulin is a better goaltender than either of the Flyers' duo, if you'd acknowledge the concept that the assessment is being made in a vacuum: Khabilbulin and his salary is not an upgrade over Esche and whatever the Flyers would have to send the other way (as we all know, Hackett has a no-trade clause). In other words, it's a net loss, no pun intended. It also doesn't take into consideration the concept that the Lightning have playoff visions and a young goaltender of their own in John Grahame. If I'm Feaster, I want Gagne or Pitkanen in addition to Esche. I'd have to be really convinced to make such a move.

I know there's a certain persistence to all this goaltending speculation in our forum, but I'm not sure why it exists. I haven't read a single realistic proposal yet that 1) improves the Flyers and their trade partner, AND fits on the ice and into their budget.

Old
12-21-2003, 07:58 AM
FlyersFan

Quote:
He went to the stanley Cup Finals in 1997-98, one year after we went to the Finals.

In the 5 years since the Caps run to the Finals Kolzig has won just 3 playoff games.
Well, is that not still better than our current goaltending tandem, and better than the other goalies on this poll?

Last edited by FlyersFan: 12-21-2003 at 08:01 AM.
Closed Thread