HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comrie to Philly done deal.

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2003, 11:15 AM
oilbaron

vCash: 500
Oilers are in Philly January 10th... we'll have to wait until next season to see Comrie.

can't wait to get my hands on tix for that one...

Old
Slats432

The only game I see is Jan 10 in Philly....on PPV.

Old
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Brewer, Woywitka, Staios, Bergeron, Semenov, Lynch, Greene

Not bad for our top six/seven in two years.
So I guess now we can eliminate the Oilers drafting a D in the first round this year?

Old
12-16-2003, 11:17 AM
Pwnasaurus

Where is the money Lowe so desperately wanted?...where is the scoring punch they were looking for?...how many more slots down is that 1st rounder they got from Philly? 10-15??? Once again Lowe's vendetta against Comrie gets in the way of him doing the best thing for the team...

Woywitka vs Perry= who knows at this point
Ducks 1st rounder vs Philly 1st rounder = easily Ducks by a mile
Philly 3rd rounder = Ducks would have included one I'm sure

LOL nice job there Kevin.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:20 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
Brewer, Woywitka, Staios, Bergeron, Semenov, Lynch, Greene

Not bad for our top six/seven in two years.
So I guess now we can eliminate the Oilers drafting a D in the first round this year?
Heck no. If we get possibly look at getting Cam Barker, we have to get him. Only Brewer has the potential to be that Norris trophy candidate dman... and it's doubtful he'll reach that stage.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:23 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilbaron
Oilers are in Philly January 10th... we'll have to wait until next season to see Comrie.

can't wait to get my hands on tix for that one...
I got mine from ticketmaster a week ago... nice little 8 hour drive to philly, and there is a little bonus in it now.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:24 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10.16.1974
Where is the money Lowe so desperately wanted?...where is the scoring punch they were looking for?...how many more slots down is that 1st rounder they got from Philly? 10-15??? Once again Lowe's vendetta against Comrie gets in the way of him doing the best thing for the team...

Lowe wasn't looking for money IMO. This was a way for Lowe to effectively force Comrie into stating his contract demands, expanding his list of teams, and regaining interest into Comrie the player. Though Lowe has said that he would like to have the money, I think my reasons are what Lowe was trying to accomplish with that demand more than earning the money himself.

Woywitka > Perry
At least so far in terms of development-wise and where the prospect fits into the Oiler depth.

Ducks 1st > Philly 1st
no brainer

Philly 3rd > nothing
Which is exactly what the Ducks offered extra to the deal. Nothing. You can speculate all you like but there is no evidence that the Ducks would magically throw something else into the deal.

The biggest plus here is that Anaheim does NOT get better as a team with Comrie and won't hurt us in the standings in the Western Conference.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:24 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Heck no. If we get possibly look at getting Cam Barker, we have to get him. Only Brewer has the potential to be that Norris trophy candidate dman... and it's doubtful he'll reach that stage.
Yeah, obviously if someone like Barker is on the table you get him. He's gonna be a top 5 pick and I don't think the Oilers will be picking that early (at least I hope not). I don't see that many highly rated D-men around the 12-20 area, which is most likely where the Oilers will end up.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:25 AM
Cujo_31

I like this deal..Woywitka, 1st rd 2004 pick & 3rd rd '05 pick..

although, Philly's 1st rdr wont be as high as Anaheim's would've been, but good deal none the less, since Comrie's in the East, we wont see Comrie as much, if he were in the west..nice deal by Kevin Lowe

Old
12-16-2003, 11:26 AM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Yeah, obviously if someone like Barker is on the table you get him. He's gonna be a top 5 pick and I don't think the Oilers will be picking that early (at least I hope not). I don't see that many highly rated D-men around the 12-20 area, which is most likely where the Oilers will end up.
Coincidentally that is also where the Ducks will end up as well...the Flyers pick will be 25-30 where the Ducks will probably be 14-18...silly Lowe.

Old
dawgbone

Quote:

You are forgetting one huge part:

Comrie going to the East and not hurting the Oilers >>>>>>> Comrie going staying in the west and hurting the Oilers.

Old
momentai

Quote:
Yeah I realize. But if the Oilers can either trade up or the scouts believe they found a gem that wouldn't last until the second round... I think they have to go with their gut all things equal. Though a high-scoring sniping forward wouldn't be a bad pick as well.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:27 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

No new on-ice help, no sure-thing return, no indication of another deal.

We don't know how to draft late, so those picks will probably get wasted on some magic bean prospect. And then we have Jeff Woywitka, who is hardly guaranteed, and although a nice guy to grab, not for a 60 point minimum center. He's never scored very many points, not even in the WHL, which isn't good considering even most NHL defensive defencemen can put up points in Jr. It's nice to know we add another World Junior team guy, as they seem to have a disgustingly good rate of NHL success, but still, it's just not enough.

We still need a scorer and a top-4 defenceman, and now we have considerably less assets to do it with.

If Jason Smith really is going, they'd better deal him soon, and for something meaningful in return.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:28 AM
MrMackey

I'm very excited about what this deal brings us. Although he may not be a Norris candidate, he should be a solid all-around defenseman for us. Definitely looks like he'll fit in to the top four at some point, IMO.

There will be a gap at centre again next year, but why panic about it now? If there is a lockout, then we could have Niinimaki or Pouloit. Maybe we make another deal in the offseason.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:28 AM
momentai

Quote:
Coincidentally that is also where the Ducks will end up as well...the Flyers pick will be 25-30 where the Ducks will probably be 14-18...silly Lowe.
Wow. If the Ducks can pick up Barker with the 14-18 pick, that's a steal considering his slated to IN THE TOP 5.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:31 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Wow. If the Ducks can pick up Barker with the 14-18 pick, that's a steal considering his slated to IN THE TOP 5.
Come one momentai, he seemed to be having a great time trying to argue without things like facts and common sense.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:32 AM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:

My comment was in reference to Lowe getting a bad 1st round pick in the trade....not about Barker
LOL...Barker's Top 3 probably...but at least with 2 high 1st round picks you could maybe move up to get Barker...not with a high 1st rounder (your own) and the last pick in the 1st round possibly...nice work there

Old
12-16-2003, 11:36 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
My comment was in reference to Lowe getting a bad 1st round pick in the trade....not about Barker
LOL...Barker's Top 3 probably...but at least with 2 high 1st round picks you could maybe move up to get Barker...not with a high 1st rounder (your own) and the last pick in the 1st round possibly...nice work there
Trading Comrie to Anaheim will improve their team...thus decreasing the value of the 1st round pick that we receive. I'm guessing it would've been around the 15th pick area.
This is a top heavy draft, and I'm guessing there will be a dropoff after the first 15 anyways.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:37 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanko
Who cares about a 3rd
Mike Comrie was a 3rd.

Draft picks in the first 3 rounds are never a bad thing.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:40 AM
PineJockey

I'm not sure why Philly made this deal. They are chock full of centres and I wonder how MC will do in the smothering, trapping Eastern Division. If the toe-drag didn't work well here, it is going to get his head taken off there.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:45 AM
elphy101

Our defense next year?

Brewer Semenov
Staois Smith
Wowitka Cross

Bergeron, Lynch

It looks like Ferguson will not be resigned in the offseason. I think it might be time to deal Cory Cross if that's possible.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:50 AM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

We don't know how to draft late, so those picks will probably get wasted on some magic bean prospect.
Recently that's not true.

Look at all the recent 2nd/3rd round picks that look good for the Oilers.

1. Jeff Deslauriers (our top prospect according to HF)
2. Jarrod Stoll(already on the Oilers)
3. Mike Comrie(Just got dealt for a 1st,3rd,Blue chip defense prospect)
4. Alexei Semenov (He looks like he will be a key cog in the defense for years)
5. Tony Salmolainen (looks pretty good so far)
6. Doug Lynch (playing pretty well in the AHL, look like he could be an NHL'er in a year or two)

That's pretty damn good production if you ask me. These is just from the 1999-2002 drafts (It's still too early pass judgement on the remainder of the 2002 draft and all of 2003 draft). All 2nd/3rd round picks.

Going by that list. You could almost say the Oilers might have a better chance at getting a player with the later Philly pick than with the Anaheim pick.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:55 AM
PineJockey

Anyone out there listening to Lowe's press conference on 1260? I can't get it where I am and wouldn't mind a recap. Also, what does Hallsey think of this - if he hates it it must be a good deal for us. :p

Old
12-16-2003, 11:57 AM
dawgbone

Oiler Press Release!!!

2003-12-16 - OILERS OBTAIN JEFF WOYWITKA FROM PHILADELPHIA

The Edmonton Oilers have traded the rights to centre Mike Comrie to the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for defenceman Jeff Woywitka and the Flyers first round pick in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft and the Flyers third round choice in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.

General Manager Kevin Lowe says that the acquisition of Woywitka is a strong addition to the Oilers organization. Lowe says, “Jeff is a player that we have liked since we first saw him play with the Red Deer Rebels and he has improved each year. He was rated high on our 2001 draft list along with Ales Hemsky, and we would have liked to have drafted him that season. We feel that Jeff will solidify our defence for the future. There seems to be a huge premium on defencemen in the NHL and when you can get a solid defenceman that has the upside that Woywitka does, you go after him.

“With the make-up of the 2004 draft shaping up to be a solid draft year, the draft pick gives us more potential to add to our talent base.”

Woywitka, a 20-year-old native of Vermilion, Alberta, is in his first professional season with the Philadelphia Phantoms, the Flyers American Hockey League affiliate. Playing in each of the Phantoms’ 29 games this season, he has scored six assists while registering 51 penalty minutes and is even.

The 6’2”, 210 pound blue liner played four seasons with the Western Hockey League’s Red Deer Rebels from 1999-00 to 2002-03, earning several individual honours. He played in three consecutive WHL finals from 2001 to 2003 and was a member of the Rebels’ 2001 Memorial Cup and WHL championship team. He scored 41-99-140 with 327 penalty minutes in 268 career games for the Rebels.

His final season with Red Deer saw Woywitka win the Bill Hunter Memorial Trophy as the WHL’s outstanding defenceman and he was named to the league’s Eastern Conference first all-star team. It was his second WHL all-star selection as he earned second team honours in 2001-02.

Woywitka also helped Canada win the silver medal at the 2003 World Junior Championships in Halifax, Nova Scotia and was a member of Canada’s gold medal winning Under-18 team at the 2000 Four Nations Cup in the Czech Republic.

Woywitka will report to the Toronto Roadrunners and will play his first game for Edmonton’s AHL affiliate against his former Philadelphia Phantoms teammates on Thursday, December 18th.

Old
12-16-2003, 12:07 PM
momentai

I don't want to take credit for this question. Silver thought it up in another post.

What's to stop Bobby Clark from turning Comrie around and dealing him back to Anaheim?

Closed Thread