HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comrie to Philly done deal.

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2003, 01:08 PM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
I don't want to take credit for this question. Silver thought it up in another post.

What's to stop Bobby Clark from turning Comrie around and dealing him back to Anaheim?
Virtually nothing.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:10 PM
momentai

Didn't think so. If Clarke can manage to get a better deal for Comrie than the Oilers did... I don't think I will be happy. Let's hope they keep Mike in Philly.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:13 PM
elphy101

Quote:
I don't want to take credit for this question. Silver thought it up in another post.

What's to stop Bobby Clark from turning Comrie around and dealing him back to Anaheim?
Nothing although I think Wowitka, 1st, 3rd is better than Perry and a 1st. So if Clarke wants to do it, go ahead. Perry is by no means a bonafide NHL'er, I think Wowitka is.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:13 PM
Silver

Lowe and Clarke may have a gentleman's agreement in place that says he won't get flipped back west.

I hope.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:14 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
Nothing although I think Wowitka, 1st, 3rd is better than Perry and a 1st. So if Clarke wants to do it, go ahead. Perry is by no means a bonafide NHL'er, I think Wowitka is.
And if Clarke can manage to pry more from Anaheim? It's all speculation at this point. But what if he manages to pry Getzlaf loose?

Old
12-16-2003, 01:14 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
Now the question is when does Philadelphia come to Edmonton.....?!

Good trade IMO for the Oilers.
I nip out to attend my grandaughter's and my nephew's son's Christmas (grade 1 &2) concert, and while I'm gone the biggest trade of the year goes down. The Oilers only play the Flyers once this season on Jan. 10th, 2004. The game is a scheduled PPV so I guess we'll all have to boo our respective video feeds. Hey I think I posted that Comrie could be traded to Philly and do very well playing for Ken Hitchcock. I think this is as good a trade as could been transacted and both teams will benefit. Mikey will definitely come to understand the term role player if he hopes to stick in the land of the Cracked ... Liberty Bell, where it's Clarke's-ville-way or the highway!

Old
12-16-2003, 01:15 PM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Lowe and Clarke may have a gentleman's agreement in place that says he won't get flipped back west.

I hope.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:16 PM
PineJockey

I don't think Comrie will be traded from Philly. Clarke has already come out and said something about how Comrie will really help the team, blah, blah, blah (I'm too lazy to find the exact quote). If he really meant to flip him he probably just would have kept quiet. Now, he might look to trade one of his other centres instead - maybe Handzus?

Old
12-16-2003, 01:17 PM
Scorpion88

Another thing to keep in mind in regards to drafting this upcoming year. Yeah, the Philly First round pick will be alot lower than Anaheim's but it still leaves us with two first rounders which is great in itself. In addition, we could package these two first round picks together and move up significantly in the draft if we could find a taker and possibly pick a player that we desparately want / need.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:18 PM
gretzky2kurri

Comrie + Clarke =

I wonder how MC will like Hitch as a coach? I wonder how much Hitch will like how MC plays on the other side of the puck?

Old
12-16-2003, 01:19 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineJockey
I don't think Comrie will be traded from Philly. Clarke has already come out and said something about how Comrie will really help the team, blah, blah, blah (I'm too lazy to find the exact quote). If he really meant to flip him he probably just would have kept quiet. Now, he might look to trade one of his other centres instead - maybe Handzus?
Keep in mind that Clarke was the one who outright stated that the Flyers were in no need for a center especially a smaller one... and he had not had even the slightest interest in Comrie.

It's Bobby Clarke. He'll surprise you. Don't take his comments at face value.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:27 PM
elphy101

Quote:
And if Clarke can manage to pry more from Anaheim? It's all speculation at this point. But what if he manages to pry Getzlaf loose?
Good to Clarked. I still like Wowitka the most of Him, Perry and Getzlaf. Getzlaf is a hell of a lot better than Perry though.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:32 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
Good to Clarked. I still like Wowitka the most of Him, Perry and Getzlaf. Getzlaf is a hell of a lot better than Perry though.
Getzlaf has a sick shot. Sick. NHL-Sniper calibre. Would take him over Perry anyday, from what I've seen.

Perry has amazing stickhandling ability, hand-eye co-ordination and looks like Bert Olmstead, but with 1/100th the work ethic. The guy is slower than Cory Cross...or at least he skates with that much effort, as of the OHA game last night. Someone got comfortable, and paid for it.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:51 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver

I hope.
Is Clarke helping Wayne and Kevin with the World Cup Canadian team this summer? If so, a gentlemans agreement doesnt sound so far fetched.

But then again, this is a business...

Old
12-16-2003, 01:54 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Comrie + Clarke =

I wonder how MC will like Hitch as a coach? I wonder how much Hitch will like how MC plays on the other side of the puck?
That being said........I sure hope Comrie doesn't win a cup this year. What's Filly got....4 losses this season?

I can just see it...........89 gets the OT winner. g2ks head hanging.

Regular season stats don't always equate to Stanley Cup. Let's ALL hope the Flyers find a way to blow it this season again. Hackett and Eshe's numbers are good right now. Bobby likely won't upgrade the goaltending........something I feel that's been biting the Flyers alot lately in the playoffs.

Old
dawgbone

There could also be a condition put into the trade by the Oilers costing the Flyer something else if they trade Comrie to the Western conference.

Old
Walsher

This is an awesome deal IMO. Like people have been saying, it gets Comrie out of the Western Conference - assuming no more deals are made, they get a stud d-man, and a 1st and 3rd round picks. IMO a steal.

Old
12-16-2003, 02:01 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Comrie + Clarke =

If MC pulls out WHL toedrag moves at the opposing blueline with Hitch as his coach...Hitch will EAT him.

Old
12-16-2003, 02:06 PM
Tanko

Perry will be a stud I'm telling you we blew it.This guy just keeps getting better.Plus a top 15 pick

Old
12-16-2003, 02:12 PM
aki

I assume this was the best deal available at this point in time, or else Lowe would not have taken it. If he wanted to hold out for more, he probably would have had to wait until the trading deadline.

Woywitka is a blue chip prospect and it may be that this turns out to be a very good deal for us a few years down the road (especially if the draft picks pan out too). But unless he can step in and be an impact player right away (which would surprise me), this trade does nothing for our present needs.

As for the picks, the 1st rounder will likely end up being in the 25-30 range and at that point you're basically rolling the dice. With the 3rd rounder, even more so. Sure, Comrie turned out well for a 3rd round pick, and as someone else has mentioned, Brodziak looks good for a 7th rounder. But for every Comrie or Brodziak there is a Bonsignore or Kelly. And those were top 6 picks, let alone 25-30.

So the bottom line is that this could turn out to be a very good deal for the Oilers a few years down the road. But for the present, Philly wins the deal hands down. We can all say what we want about Comrie, but at least he has proven to be a top player in at the NHL level, which is more than can be said for what we got in return. Sure, there may be Philly fans who are unhappy with this deal, but if so, it's for an entirely different reason. Philly is set for the present even without Comrie, but has weakened itself long-term with this deal. For us it is the opposite.

IMO we needed to get a player to come in and contribute right away. With the present group of players, we are going to be in tough to even make the playoffs this season. All throughout this piece, Lowe said he wanted to get something for the present and something for the future. I guess the first part of that equation went out the window when it came time to do the actual deal. It's all fine and good to say we have strengthened the team for the future, but if we miss out on playoff revenue this season and the owners do not get "cost certainty" in the new CBA, that stacked team could be playing in Houston or wherever. Kind of like when the Nordiques stocked up their system with prospects who led the team to the Cup after moving to Colorado.

We all know money is a concern for this organization but it seems that whenever we have had to dump a salary in the past, we have generally been able to get one or more proven players in return who could come in and contribute right away. For that to change at this stage, Woywitka had better be able to move into our top 4 D pretty damn quickly.

Old
12-16-2003, 02:15 PM
FearTheFlyers

You just robbed us.

Old
12-16-2003, 02:16 PM
thistle

What can we take away from all this...A blue chip D prospect and two decent draft picks (given the Oilers recent 1st round pick history I'll happily take a late 1st and a 3rd rounder). The biggest thing to me is that Comrie would NEVER play for us, so to get JW whom was highly coveted by Lowe, its seems like we get something for nothing. Good deal IMO.

Old
12-16-2003, 02:18 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by aki
It's all fine and good to say we have strengthened the team for the future, but if we miss out on playoff revenue this season and the owners do not get "cost certainty" in the new CBA, that stacked team could be playing in Houston or wherever. Kind of like when the Nordiques stocked up their system with prospects who led the team to the Cup after moving to Colorado.
Even if the Oilers had gotten a player they could use immediately, these exact same concerns would be relevant.

Old
12-16-2003, 02:35 PM
Tanko

I would have liked Jeff Carter

Old
12-16-2003, 02:35 PM
Fayne Gretzky

Anyone know if Lowe got any $$$'s from Comrie to spark the deal?

Closed Thread