HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comrie to Philly done deal.

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2003, 02:09 PM
Winston Wolf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
You just robbed us.
Come on, we just got their former #1 center for a solid prospect, a 1st rounder, and a 3rd rounder. It's not like Woywitka has amazing potential or anything, his high end potential is a very good #3 d-man (not discounting Woywitka, but it's still not a fair return for a team's top center). Add in the fact that Comrie was their top center while he was 22 and think of his potential.

I don't think either team robbed each other, but if anything the Flyers are certainly the winner in this deal.

Old
12-16-2003, 02:16 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy
Come on, we just got their former #1 center for a solid prospect, a 1st rounder, and a 3rd rounder. It's not like Woywitka has amazing potential or anything, his high end potential is a very good #3 d-man (not discounting Woywitka, but it's still not a fair return for a team's top center). Add in the fact that Comrie was their top center while he was 22 and think of his potential.

I don't think either team robbed each other, but if anything the Flyers are certainly the winner in this deal.
I dunno... there aren't too many "pleased" Flyer fans around...

Old
12-16-2003, 02:16 PM
victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy

Calling Comrie a number one centre is what started this mess ;-)

That said, I think that Edmonton got good value for Comrie. A blue chip defense prospect, a late first round pick, and a late third round pick sounds about right for Comrie.

Good luck with Comrie. Hope he likes Philly more than home ;-(

Old
12-16-2003, 02:18 PM
aki

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Even if the Oilers had gotten a player they could use immediately, these exact same concerns would be relevant.
But at least it would have increased the chances of making the playoffs this season.

Old
12-16-2003, 02:20 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Attaboy Kevin!

Old
12-16-2003, 02:25 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by aki
But at least it would have increased the chances of making the playoffs this season.
Maybe, maybe not.

Like I said, in order to get a proven NHLer for Comrie, it would most likely have to be someone older, and without nearly the same upside, or even current ability.

Does that really help the Oilers?

Old
12-16-2003, 02:36 PM
elphy101

If you consider the fact that Comrie's money was used to sign Oates, this deal does not look that bad.

Adam Oates, Jeff Wowitka, 1st round pick 2004, 3rd round pick 2005

for

Mike Comrie

Old
12-16-2003, 03:08 PM
PineJockey

I just read over on OilFans that Woywitka sounds pumped to be coming to Edmonton. Maybe another D-vo scenario.

Also, there was some mention that Bob MacKenzie thinks that the trade to Philly was a personel 'attack' so to speak on Comrie because he didn't want to go there. Basically he thinks that Lowe avoided Anaheim and went for Philly partly because he was trying to stick it to Comrie. Personally I don't buy it, but I do think Comrie is not as happy today as he was when he thought he was going to Anaheim - even though Philly is smokin' hot this season.

Old
12-16-2003, 03:13 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
If you consider the fact that Comrie's money was used to sign Oates, this deal does not look that bad.

for Mike Comrie
You make an excellent point!

Old
12-16-2003, 03:18 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101

for

Mike Comrie
Last season Comrie and Oates were pretty much on par for PPG. If Oates finds his groove and can start putting up some PP points than it will definitely ease the short term pain of not getting a roster player for Comrie.

My gut tells me there may be another deal in the works.

Old
12-16-2003, 03:21 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 1072
wwwwooooohhhhhooooooo well guys just walked in the door from work and just heard the news. im really happy about this deal. good job lowe . not really do we did a good return, we dont have to see comrie that often. personally i think this is a better deal than the one presented by the ducks. you know what, im just happy its finally over. good luck clarke you have another headache.

Old
12-16-2003, 03:28 PM
windowlicker

If Clarke turns around and trades MC to the Ducks, he'll end up looking like a tool (with Winters & Comrie getting credit for orchestrating contact and a deal between Clarke and Murray) and trust me, Clarke is no tool. I think he went for an "asset" over a "need", and its not such a bad idea.

From an Oil perspective, im satisfied with this. Woywitka is a poormans Steve Eminger, and has pretty high top-end potential. The picks are always nice.

Now, MC is going to play in a grinding conference on a team with Hitch as the coach. Hes gonna have to learn D, and hes not going to be the center of all attention anymore..... (Prima-donnas dont perform well in situations like that)

Plus,... this situation brings up more questions......

The cash amount in the ANA deal was *rumored* to help Lowe absorb a middle to higher middle salary level in a 2nd deal.... what deal? (Is someone out East finally ready to overpay for Larague? Jason Smith?)

Also, this team does not need more forwards.
Chimmer's last goal aside, him and Horcoff have not been pulling their weight... I'm guessing Rita is gonna get a legitimate shot soon.

Old
12-16-2003, 03:30 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineJockey
... Also, there was some mention that Bob MacKenzie thinks that the trade to Philly was a personel 'attack' so to speak on Comrie because he didn't want to go there. ....
I really don't think so. In fact I believe that PHI was one of a handful of teams that Comrie was interested in. I'm sure I read that Winter sent Clarke a video tape of Comrie this summer as well.

Old
12-16-2003, 03:31 PM
IceDragoon

I tried to post this at 2pm, but got 'kicked off' the site.

This is a good deal on so many levels.

KLo wanted Woywitka in the 2001 draft. (he wanted Hemsky more)
MC is going to the eastern conference. (with his tail tucked...?)
And...
No more MC trade proposal threads.

altho - this trade doesn't address KLo's 'help us now' reason for the $2.5 mill 'top up' fee.

All in all, this is a good day.

Old
12-16-2003, 03:37 PM
PineJockey

Here is the link for Bob MacKenzie's article

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp?id=64587

Old
12-16-2003, 03:41 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
I really don't think so. In fact I believe that PHI was one of a handful of teams that Comrie was interested in. I'm sure I read that Winter sent Clarke a video tape of Comrie this summer as well.
That he did......

"Yeah, right, I want Comrie," Clarke said, shaking his head. Winter "sent me a tape on Comrie. We don't want him. We don't have room for him. We don't need a small centerman. What would we do with him?

"You can't play in the Eastern Conference and our division without some big centers in your lineup. Handzus and [Keith] Primeau are both 6-5. [Jeremy] Roenick isn't small, either. Lapointe is, but he is a fireplug."

Old
12-16-2003, 04:21 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
when i first saw this i was hoping we were getting pitkanen (a dream i know but hey) but it looks like a solid deal, I dont think it means the end of Smith actually, perhaps Brewer maybe to the sens for havlat? (dreaming again)

Whens Woywitka playing his first game?

Old
12-16-2003, 04:26 PM
Lowetide

I liked the Perry deal, but this one is better imo. Woywitka (from what I've read, I've only seen him WJC and a few Rebels games) is a big boy with wheels, something that is becoming a trend in Lowe's world.

The first is nice, has value on its own and when coupled with the Oilers first it might spell a nice trade up draft day (what is the 15th and 27th pick worth? 10? 8?). Or maybe another shoe drops for the Oilers to help this season. The third also holds value, of course.

As for Comrie, wish him all the best. Whatever the reasons for this standoff, it is done now and there's no use wishing him ill.

Old
12-16-2003, 04:27 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
Whens Woywitka playing his first game?
For the Roadrunners against......the Phantoms!!!

Old
12-16-2003, 04:33 PM
Cerebral

As others have mentioned, this trade is basically dependant on who develops into the better player, Woywitka or Perry. From what I've seen I like Woywitka quite a bit better.. if Brewer and Semenov develop into the solid 1-2 pairing that a lot of us are hoping they will, Woywitka could look great in that 3-4 spot! Like Lowetide mentioned, 2 first round picks now gives us a lot of leverage come draft time.. who knows, maybe Philly will tank now and we'll end up with 2 decent picks

Old
12-16-2003, 04:36 PM
Tanko

I keep forgetting you guys are WHL guys that;s why you like Woywitka and talk about Getzlaf instead of Carter.Carter is there top prospect and trust me is the real deal.I still think Perry will be real good one but I guess you guys like the 3rd.I take a top 15 pick over a 25th pick and a 3rd.

Old
12-16-2003, 04:40 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Wow, the mods already have Woywitka's profile on the Oiler's HF page, and slotted him into the #5 prospect position.

damn you guys work fast!

Old
12-16-2003, 04:42 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
Wow, the mods already have Woywitka's profile on the Oiler's HF page, and slotted him into the #5 prospect position.

damn you guys work fast!
And he was #2 on Philly...

Old
12-16-2003, 04:42 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanko
I keep forgetting you guys are WHL guys that;s why you like Woywitka and talk about Getzlaf instead of Carter.Carter is there top prospect and trust me is the real deal.I still think Perry will be real good one but I guess you guys like the 3rd.I take a top 15 pick over a 25th pick and a 3rd.
Yep Carter is a stud even better than Getzlaf. But neither of those players were on the table. I sure as hell like Woywitka alot more than Perry.

Old
12-16-2003, 04:43 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanko
I still think Perry will be real good one but I guess you guys like the 3rd.I take a top 15 pick over a 25th pick and a 3rd.
A lot of people are forgetting one thing: Anaheim has a fair bit of talent and the addition of Comrie might have taken that pick out of the top 15. I truthfully didn't see the need to add Perry to our prospect list.. if you look at our top prospects before the trade, only Lynch and Greene could be considered top-end defensive prospects. We already have a lot of young forwards waiting in the wings! I too would take a top 15 pick over a 25th + 3rd rounder but who knows if that's what the picks would end up being.. the season is less than half over and the entire Flyers roster might get eaten by a gigantic ostrich for all we know! All things considered, I like this deal better than Anaheim's as it addresses our needs moreso and doesn't strengthen one of our playoff opponents.

Closed Thread