HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers get Comrie

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2003, 11:26 AM
sveiglar

vCash: 500
Flyers get Comrie

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/

The race for the Atlantic just got a whole lot more interesting...

Old
12-16-2003, 11:30 AM
NJDevils#4
Since 2002, bishes

Pretty cheap considering what was rumored.

Gotta wonder why we didn't inquire. Maybe we did but the price was too high

Old
12-16-2003, 11:31 AM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Wow. Roenick, Primeau, Handzus, Comrie?!?!?!?!?! That's filthy......That's damn scary. The Flyers may be better, but they still have to find a way to beat the Devils......

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Old
12-16-2003, 11:39 AM
nj666

Thank God the Flyers dealt with their problems at center smirks sarcastically. it should also help them minimize allowing soft goals... shot from the freakin concession stand!

Old
12-16-2003, 11:44 AM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevils#4
Pretty cheap considering what was rumored.
What was rumored was Corey Perry and a first rounder. I think this deal was considerably more expensive than what was rumoured.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:47 AM
JimEIV

They can get Wayne Gretzky but until the Get a good goalie we can always count on the 1 easy goal a game to get us the win.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:49 AM
Sykie

Send a message via ICQ to Sykie
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg
What was rumored was Corey Perry and a first rounder. I think this deal was considerably more expensive than what was rumoured.
I don't think so, there is not a big difference in trade value between Corey Perry and Jeff Woywitka. So besides the third round, this is pretty even, not to mention the Ducks will pick before the Flyers.

So this is quite close to the Ducks offer.

Old
12-16-2003, 12:13 PM
Vranattack

vCash:
Flyers overpayed IMO. They give a potential #1 or #2 dmen, a 1st rounder and a 3rd for an unsigned headcase who is poor defensivly and is a midget.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:09 PM
PEli*

Another good move to add offense by Clarke. Woywitka is solid but will probably be a #3 guy for his career. Add the picks and the Flyers end up giving pretty much nothing to the Oilers.

This could have been the Devils' deal to make. DeMarchi/Suglobov. 1st and a 3rd would have got this deal sealed. Too bad.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:16 PM
Vranattack

vCash:
DeMarchi is nowhere in the same league as Woywitka, change that to Hale, 1st and 3rd.

Old
12-16-2003, 02:18 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEli
Another good move to add offense by Clarke. Woywitka is solid but will probably be a #3 guy for his career. Add the picks and the Flyers end up giving pretty much nothing to the Oilers.

This could have been the Devils' deal to make. DeMarchi/Suglobov. 1st and a 3rd would have got this deal sealed. Too bad.
Agreed. This is a great move by Clarke. They are arguably the one team in the East who probably needed his services the least, but still stand to gain a lot of ground from adding him to the mix. I cant help but think this move hurts us more in keeping him off the Devils roster then it does in adding him to an already star studded Flyers offensive lineup though. Its similar to the Yankees and Red Sox always getting into bidding wars trying to one up one another each offseason. Sometimes the best moves made are the ones that keep star players from your hated rivals though. To put it bluntly, this move sucks for us from the standpoint of what it would have taken to get him along with real tangible team needs. Spectors recently wrote the Flyers off pretty easily as a team that Comrie wouldn't want to play for given Hitchcock is the hardline coach there. If he can play for the Flyers, he certainly could have joined the Devils and Pat Burns.

Ah well. We'll just have to keep beating Philly with our 3rd and 4th liners being heroes.

Last edited by Unthinkable: 12-16-2003 at 03:13 PM.

Old
12-16-2003, 04:14 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Sure am curious to hear what transpired between the time Comrie told the Ducks GM to be patient for the next few days (just the other night) to today where he's dealt to a totally different team with no talk of having to payback his signing bonus to head East. WTF happened in the last few days? Everyone and their mom thought he was as good as Duck once Lowe dropped his ransom demands.

Old
12-16-2003, 05:29 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEli
You would have needed to add more than that.

Woywitka is more valuable than DeMarchi/Suglobov.

Martin or Hale & NJD #1.

Old
12-16-2003, 06:00 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

Martin or Hale & NJD #1.

I disagree.

I got to see a few Phantom games with Woywitka this season and watched many preseason games this year.

The pontential of Suglobov is far greater that the potential of Woywitka.

I personally think at Best Jeff Woywitka is Brad Stuart.

Suglobov at best is Miro Satan.

By the way, please free to coment on my comparisions.....

Old
12-16-2003, 06:09 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV
I disagree.

I got to see a few Phantom games with Woywitka this season and watched many preseason games this year.

The pontential of Suglobov is far greater that the potential of Woywitka.

I personally think at Best Jeff Woywitka is Brad Stuart.

Suglobov at best is Miro Satan.

By the way, please free to coment on my comparisions.....
Not an awful comparison to Brad Stuart, I tend to think of a Wade Redden style defenseman, although not quite on that level.

Where Redden is a #1 defenseman,m I think Woywitka can become a real good #2 defenseman.

I'm not going to say that I've seen Suglobov play, but in any rankings that I've seen Woywitka is generally listed as appro. the 20th best prospect, and Suglobov is never listed that high.

It doesn't mean that Suglobov won't end up being better than woywitka, but that Woywitka's current trade value is higher.

Old
12-16-2003, 06:21 PM
JimEIV

John,

Fair enough. But I think Woywitka is more of a physical player than Redden, don't you?

On Suglobov...
He is having a good season so far on a not-so-good Albany team in his first year in North America.

Aleksander Suglobov RW

GP 20, G 5, A 8, P 13, +/- -3, PIM 23

Albany Website has him listed as 6-5 225????? I thought he was 6-1 190?

Old
12-16-2003, 06:39 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Albany Website has him listed as 6-5 225????? I thought he was 6-1 190?
He's definately not 6-5. I've seen him in person and he doesn't stand that tall by any stretch. Closer to six feet tall.

Old
12-16-2003, 06:39 PM
JimEIV

John Also,

I don't understand the move from the Flyers perspective. Weinrich, Dejardians are on the older side. Therien is not more than a 6th d-man and he is 32 yearsold, Ragnarsson is also 32 yearsold and I believe UFA at the end of this season.

So that leaves the Flyers with Kim Johnsson, Joni Pitkanen and Jim Vandermeer in the next 3 years or so?

Why make a deal for a center? It seems pretty obvious to me the Flyers need are from the Blue line back.

First Oulett now Woywitka. it just doesn't make sense to me, especially with there current lineup of Centers being so deep.

Old
12-16-2003, 07:54 PM
Vranattack

vCash:
Woywitka I find to be alot like Jason Smith, maybe its just me and I'm way off.

Old
12-16-2003, 08:39 PM
paxtang

Quote:
John Also,

I don't understand the move from the Flyers perspective. Weinrich, Dejardians are on the older side. Therien is not more than a 6th d-man and he is 32 yearsold, Ragnarsson is also 32 yearsold and I believe UFA at the end of this season.

So that leaves the Flyers with Kim Johnsson, Joni Pitkanen and Jim Vandermeer in the next 3 years or so?

Why make a deal for a center? It seems pretty obvious to me the Flyers need are from the Blue line back.

First Oulett now Woywitka. it just doesn't make sense to me, especially with there current lineup of Centers being so deep.
You forgot Seidenberg.

Old
12-16-2003, 08:49 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
John Also,

Johnsson - 27
Pitkanen - 20
Vandermeer - 23
Seidenberg - 22

Also as devils fans can surely see by watching Stevens & Daneyko, defenseman can continue to play effectively into their late 30's.

Ragnarsson is just 32, and could easily play another 3-4 years.

Desjardins is 34 and has another 2-3 years in him

Weinrich is 37, and could easily be effective for one if not 2 more seasons.

Weinrich & Therien are UFA's at seasons end.

Ragnarsson is signed for one more year.
Desjardins is signed for 2 more years.

---------------------------------------------------

I have no source or anything, but I wouldn't surprise me in the least if you saw the following deal come down in Feb or Mar:

Handzus +
for
Gonchar

--------------------------------------------------

Flyers blueline is not an issue and hasn't been for sometime. If you look at almost all the playoff defeats, it's usually because they have trouble scoring goals.

Roenick was the only playmaking center that we had. Handzus and Primeau are bot great 3rd line center, but neither is truly a 2nd line center.

Comrie brings another good offensive player, and if they play him with Gagne, as aI hope, will make a very very nice 2nd line.

Old
12-16-2003, 08:58 PM
Vranattack

vCash:
Now that I think of it Woywitka looks alot like Brewer on the ice. Quietly can be offensive but is mainly there for defense.

Old
12-17-2003, 03:57 AM
PEli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

Martin or Hale & NJD #1.
I think Hale is a much better defensive prospect than Woywitka but I would agree with the Martin vs. Woywitka value comparison.

I don't know. It's too bad Lou didn't pull the trigger on this one. Comrie only makes a bit over a million base plus incentives. I doubt he'd get the easy incentives in his second contract either.

Closed Thread