HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

David Laliberte

Old
04-02-2007, 11:43 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
David Laliberte

He was a Flyers draft pick in 2004 and was drafted in the 4th round. He plays in the QMJHL for the Prince Edward Island Rocket. He had 98 points this season, 50 goals and 48 assists. Good for 12th in the league in scoring. The problem with him is he suffered an innoperable injury to a nerve in his back which made it hard for him to walk. He is yet to sign a contract with the Flyers, and is in his 5TH season in the QMJHL. Paul Holmgren was actually quoted saying "we believe he was the most naturally gifted player in the 2004 draft." He is 21 right now. Here is a very brief biography about him. What do you think the status of his pro career is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lalibert%C3%A9

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:50 AM
iceman42

vCash: 500
I dont think his career is over, I think he'll get some looks as a FA and I hope the Flyers give him a shot on the Phantoms.

iceman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 05:57 PM
IBleedOrangeandBlack

I saw him play when he was in Halifax playing against the Mooseheads. He looked great!! Scored 2 goals in the game and assisted another. I hope the flyers really take a look at this guy. Gifted player.

IBleedOrangeandBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
You know, I never understood this. Teams will sign their 8th rounders, give certain guys tryouts, and on their farm team stock players like Cote, Guenin, and Reid. Then, when a guy they saw, liked, and watched mature into a fine young man and excellent player has a chance to just play with its farm team, they are concerned about his health and won't sign him?

Okay, if he would command an expensive contract, fine -- its okay to be apprehensive there. But your team is in last place by a nice amount of points, and arguably your BEST forward prospect at this moment in time is oft criticized for his lack of determination. Why not take a chance on this kid with a farm contract? If he gets hurt, your stuck paying his farm wages, which isn't much, considering how much a last place team charges for tickets these days....

If the Flyers DON'T sign this guy, I'll be majorly disappointed. It's basically a no risk contract for this kid, and while he may not be a Forsberg or someone like that, why not see if he develops into a useful player? If it means taking away farm time by a career AHLer like Reid, then I think I won't cry over a little spilled milk.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

He is a free agent now right, because two years have passed since he was drafted? I'd like to see the Flyers give him a chance as well, but we might not be the only team going after him.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
He is a free agent now right, because two years have passed since he was drafted? I'd like to see the Flyers give him a chance as well, but we might not be the only team going after him.
So...A player is draft eligible his entire junior career, but a team can only hold their rights for two. Does any one else see a problem with this?

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 10:38 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
So...A player is draft eligible his entire junior career, but a team can only hold their rights for two. Does any one else see a problem with this?
Yeah I think the purpose of that is so they can re-enter the draft. It's not often players are re-drafted, but it does happen. I'm pretty sure Laliberte could be drafted again this summer.

Old
04-03-2007, 12:01 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Yeah I think the purpose of that is so they can re-enter the draft. It's not often players are re-drafted, but it does happen. I'm pretty sure Laliberte could be drafted again this summer.
Laliberte was drafted 2004, we lost his rights before the 2006 Draft. He was eligible last summer. Now he is to old to get drafted and is an UFA when his season with PEI is finished.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
Laliberte was drafted 2004, we lost his rights before the 2006 Draft. He was eligible last summer. Now he is to old to get drafted and is an UFA when his season with PEI is finished.
Really? So OAs are inelligible for the draft? That's not the way NHL.com reads.

Old
04-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Really? So OAs are inelligible for the draft? That's not the way NHL.com reads.
Laliberte's rights expired at 1st June 2006, according to Irish Blues Homepage.

Quote:
If the player is in the CHL (Canadian Major Juniors), the team generally has until the second June 1 following the draft when the player was selected unless the player leaves the CHL early; in that case, the team has until the fourth June 1 after the draft the player was selected. Details in Article 8.6(b)
As we lost his rights, he was eligible for the 2006 Entry Draft. But he wasn't claimed and became an UFA according to 8.9(b)(i) of the CBA.

Quote:
8.9 Eligibility for Play in the League.
No Player shall be eligible for play in the League unless he:
(a) had been claimed in the last Entry Draft, or was ineligible for claim under Section 8.4; or
(b) had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and:
(i) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was age 20 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the next NHL Season.
If I found everything about it in the CBA, he is an UFA and doesn't needs to be drafted.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Buckleys

Given the current state of the Binghamton Senators, The senators could make a strong push for him.

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 07:00 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
He is in wikipedia? That's more impressive than being 12 in the Q in scoring.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Eb0la11

he signed with the Flyers.

Eb0la11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 03:25 PM
rayearth

2 months ago, but then again nobody's posted since before then. It's in here.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/teams/...tions?team=phi

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 03:50 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
ya, he signed with the flyers, i remember it being posted somewhere, i think Timmy P posted it

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote