HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Where does Edmonton rank?

Old
04-02-2007, 12:15 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
OT: Where does Edmonton rank?

In keeping with some of the threads on why there seems to be a perception problem with Edmonton, (in terms of NHL players) I decided to expand on it a bit. How is Edmonton viewed in general?
Is it simply the victim of Eastern writers and their biases?
Now admittedly some of the criteria for these studies can be rather vague but why is it that Edmonton almost never ranks as a top city in in terms of being an overall desirable place to live?
Here are a couple of examples....

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories

http://moving.about.com/od/whymove/a/best_places.htm

Perhaps Edmontons image problem is more widespread than some people want to admit.
I have yet to see one world city overall survey that ranks Edmonton anywhere near Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa or Calgary. I am genuinely interested as to why this might be. Constructive criticism is a positive thing....right?
It may be wishful thinking but hopefully this thread can remain civil.

Whoops...I guess i should have included this in the General OT thread.

Last edited by guymez: 04-02-2007 at 12:44 PM.
guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Raoul Duke*

vCash: 500
I don't know why people are so shocked at the views of Edmonton or why players wouldn't want to live here. Think about it in terms of an NHL player who never lived in Edmonton before:

- your team plane lands in some barren farm wasteland, then you have to bus 25 minutes before you even see any semblance of a city.
- to avoid traffic through the heart of the city, the bus goes up past refinery row to the Yellowhead, where you're surrounded by concrete walls and overpasses then an airport that you wonder why you didn't land there...
- through north Edmonton past all the run down pre World War II family housing, countless check cashing stores, shirtless drunks bleeding down their heads for no reason
- arrive at Rexall where you're surrounded by chain link fencing and some train tracks

And that's basically it besides the trip maybe back out or to the hotel.

The team and city would do itself a big favour putting a new arena in the downtown core where people actually see Edmonton as a city.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:42 PM
oilerfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
I don't know why people are so shocked at the views of Edmonton or why players wouldn't want to live here. Think about it in terms of an NHL player who never lived in Edmonton before:

- your team plane lands in some barren farm wasteland, then you have to bus 25 minutes before you even see any semblance of a city.
- to avoid traffic through the heart of the city, the bus goes up past refinery row to the Yellowhead, where you're surrounded by concrete walls and overpasses then an airport that you wonder why you didn't land there...
- through north Edmonton past all the run down pre World War II family housing, countless check cashing stores, shirtless drunks bleeding down their heads for no reason
- arrive at Rexall where you're surrounded by chain link fencing and some train tracks

The team and city would do itself a big favour putting a new arena in the downtown core where people actually see Edmonton as a city.

ahahaha...the problem is north edmonton....its so rundown it looks like a an eastern european city under communist rule...they gotta revitalize that whole area or move the damn building which would probably be the best move ever...

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 02:11 PM
MuzikMachine

Quote:

So true.

Don't forget the drive between the downtown hotel and and Rexall, going past the already mentioned cashing stores, drunks, etc. And the fact that most players would base it on arriving between November and March.

MuzikMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 02:15 PM
copperandblue

Quote:

Have you ever been to Denver?

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 02:20 PM
bleed_oil

Quote:

I love Edmonton lived here my whole life, but dude: that is funny

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 02:38 PM
koeltrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
Have you ever been to Denver?
No, what's it like there?

koeltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 02:41 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by koeltrain View Post
No, what's it like there?
The Airport has to be twice as far away from the city as it is here in Edmonton. The scenery isn't a whole lot better either imo.

Personally I think way to much crtiquing goes on when it comes to these types of issues.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Oilerz

Quote:

This should go to the editors of the Journal or The Sun in the letters. Too funny, but sadly, true.

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 02:49 PM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
NEWS FLASH...... Guys, we are one of many cities that have an arena in the middle of the crap areas.

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Loweball

Not that this is an issue, but have they done anything with that airport? I was amazed at how run down it was when I was there in 2000. Yes, I remember the drive into Edmonton. Long and flat and nothing at all to see..I am sure the airport and drive to town isn't really a decision breaker for NHL players though. Isn't Kanata, where the Senators play, out in the middle of nowhere?

Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 03:21 PM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Oiler View Post
Not that this is an issue, but have they done anything with that airport? I was amazed at how run down it was when I was there in 2000. Yes, I remember the drive into Edmonton. Long and flat and nothing at all to see..I am sure the airport and drive to town isn't really a decision breaker for NHL players though. Isn't Kanata, where the Senators play, out in the middle of nowhere?
Actually the airport has been expanded many times over and the city comes a fair bit further south now due to growth...

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Little Fury

Quote:
You mean the downtown core with its empty, spit-coated sidewalks, windblown piles of garbage, panhandlers and winos, grimy Soviet Bloc-esque office blocks, cheap condo developments, vacant parking lots etc etc? That downtown core?

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Declassified

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
Actually the airport has been expanded many times over and the city comes a fair bit further south now due to growth...
I lived right by the Airport, it didn't grow out THAT far. BUT Kanata itself is so much more developed that what it once was when the Sens first started playing there. Kanata itself is very nice now.

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Killer Z

Quote:

In my opinion, this has to be done!

Killer Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 03:48 PM
cheebatokah*

i would rank edmonton up there with zurich and geneva...calgary was just voted cleanest and most sanitary city in the world..i dunno where edmonton ranks but im guessing somewhere in the middle.

cheebatokah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Soilent Green

Quote:
All five Canadian cities ranked higher than any of the U.S. cities on the list.
Edmonton was not ranked on that survey. The only Canadian cities they considered were Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, Montreal and Ottawa. I don't recall any international surveys that include Edmonton actually. Why assume we would rank poorly? I don't think its unreasonable to suggest we'd rank in the range of Calgary if they ever considered us. I doubt how it would be relevant anyway, by the conclusions of the survey no player would want to play in the states at all, which is of course absurd.

Soilent Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Little Fury

Quote:
i would rank edmonton up there with zurich and geneva...calgary was just voted cleanest and most sanitary city in the world..i dunno where edmonton ranks but im guessing somewhere in the middle.
You're talking about Mercer Human Resource Consulting's Quality of Life Survey. The Top Five North American cities for 2007 were all Canadian:
  • Vancouver (3rd overall)
  • Toronto (15th)
  • Ottawa (tied for 18th)
  • Montreal (22nd)
  • Calgary (24th)

Edmonton isn't included in the survey.

Old
04-02-2007, 04:56 PM
canadave

Having lived most of my life in New York City, and having lived in Spruce Grove for the past seven years, and having visited just about every other Canadian city at least once, I really have to agree with RD's pessimistic assessment. Obviously, every city will have people who love it and hate it, and if you grew up in Edmonton, you're probably more prone to love it. But honestly, in the grand scheme of things, Edmonton isn't really all that great a city in comparison to others.

There are parts of Edmonton that are beautiful, but those are few and far between. The downtown core is, relatively speaking, a wasteland, and a very small one at that. The winters can be brutal. The city is far from just about everywhere except Calgary (and, to be fair to the "pro-Edmonton" side, the Rockies). Aside from the mall, the downtown arts facilities, and a few nightclubs, there's not much to do.

There's lots to like about Edmonton and its people, but a lot not to like as well. I'm not surprised that Edmonton has an image problem, nor am I surprised that it's tough to attract free agents here.

canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 05:03 PM
OntOilFan

Edmonton fits nicely between Alert and Calcutta.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 05:15 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Oiler View Post
Isn't Kanata, where the Senators play, out in the middle of nowhere?
No... not really. The airport in Ottawa is at the southern extreme of the city and Kanata is west of Ottawa, but you would be driving (likely) past Carleton U and then on a typical highway on your way out to Kanata... you'd pass a mall and a bunch of box stores on your way. Plus Kanata itself is about is upper-middle class as you can get. Everything is more or less brand-new... plus there is a 5+star hotel right in Kanata which (I imagine) is where the teams would stay.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Little Fury

The sad thing is, the best time to be in Edmonton is summer. There's festivals, loads of sunshine, greenery galore; the city really comes alive between May and September. Unfortunately that's also the time when there's no hockey, so players only get to see Edmonton during its seven months of winter when it becomes a dark, depressing craphole.

The marketing of this city has also been atrocious. (can I get a indefinite suspension of the phrase "world-class city" please?) Edmonton could be Austin, but it wants to be Calgary so it ends up being Cleveland.

Old
04-02-2007, 05:27 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave View Post
Having lived most of my life in New York City, and having lived in Spruce Grove for the past seven years, and having visited just about every other Canadian city at least once, I really have to agree with RD's pessimistic assessment. Obviously, every city will have people who love it and hate it, and if you grew up in Edmonton, you're probably more prone to love it. But honestly, in the grand scheme of things, Edmonton isn't really all that great a city in comparison to others.

There are parts of Edmonton that are beautiful, but those are few and far between. The downtown core is, relatively speaking, a wasteland, and a very small one at that. The winters can be brutal. The city is far from just about everywhere except Calgary (and, to be fair to the "pro-Edmonton" side, the Rockies). Aside from the mall, the downtown arts facilities, and a few nightclubs, there's not much to do.

There's lots to like about Edmonton and its people, but a lot not to like as well. I'm not surprised that Edmonton has an image problem, nor am I surprised that it's tough to attract free agents here.
If you can offer any insight, if you could wave a magic wand and change parts of the city what would you change to make it... ummm... awesome?

Also, if I may note, one thing that's bothered me about the "edmonton is not exciting" crowd is that the changes required to make this place more, palitable, would require huge investment that, I think, would be better spent on schools and hospitals.

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 05:27 PM
canadave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
The sad thing is, the best time to be in Edmonton is summer. There's festivals, loads of sunshine, greenery galore; the city really comes alive between May and September. Unfortunately that's also the time when there's no hockey, so players only get to see Edmonton during its seven months of winter when it becomes a dark, depressing craphole.

The marketing of this city has also been atrocious. (can I get a indefinite suspension of the phrase "world-class city" please?) Edmonton could be Austin, but it wants to be Calgary so it ends up being Cleveland.
The thing is, although Edmonton does have the festivals, nice weather, etc....there's still not a lot to do on a regular basis. Downtown is pretty dead no matter what time of year it is, and the neighbourhoods are fairly cookie-cutter (with a few notable exceptions). There's not a lot of uniqueness anywhere. I can't think of a single thing that Edmonton is, or does, that's more unique or well-done or interesting than other cities in North America. And I say that with sadness and regret, not malice....

Old
04-02-2007, 05:30 PM
canadave

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel_master View Post
If you can offer any insight, if you could wave a magic wand and change parts of the city what would you change to make it... ummm... awesome?

Also, if I may note, one thing that's bothered me about the "edmonton is not exciting" crowd is that the changes required to make this place more, palitable, would require huge investment that, I think, would be better spent on schools and hospitals.
I agree with you about the schools and hospitals.

If I could wave a wand...hmmm...haven't thought about it much. I guess for starters downtown should be more of a place to go (that's been an issue here as long as I can remember). Neighbourhoods should be less cookie-cutter and be more distinctive. It'd be nice to see some offbeat stores, clubs, and general "things to do" in areas other than Whyte.

I grew up in Greenwich Village, one of the most "happening" neighbourhoods in NYC, so I guess I'm a bit biased. But it just seems to me that Edmonton is pretty "dead" on a regular basis (not including annual festivals, which are great).