HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philly gets Comrie

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2003, 11:43 AM
Red Horner*

vCash: 500
Philly gets Comrie

Woywitka, a 1st and a 3rd, that's what you get when you have prospects.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:58 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

god damn it.

now what are they going to do.
trade handzus for a D ?

Old
12-16-2003, 12:04 PM
ComrieFanatic

did bobby clarke not just say 2-3 weeks ago when there were rumours of him going there that there was no way they needed and or wanted a small centre, especially with Handzus, JR and Primeau already at centre....

Old
12-16-2003, 12:21 PM
nordique

vCash:
Wow.

They're scarier now. Jeez.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:22 PM
McFly

I think there's no doubt that Philly has improved with Comrie. But I don't think he's gonna explode offensively and dramatically improve Phillies goal scoring. Yes he is a great talent, but keep in mind that Philly plays a different style than the high flying Oilers (just incase anyone is freaking out about this trade ). Of course he will help, but he does not make the Flyers unbeatable. You never know he may break out but he may not. Just look at Simon Gagne.

Also, I think this deal means the end of the road for a guy like Handzus. I don't see Clarke leaving their centres as Roenick, Primeau, Comrie, Handzus. There's just not enough ice time for all those guys. I'd bet he tries to ship out Handzus for a Dman. Then he'd really stick it to the Devils, Sens and yes even the Leafs

Old
12-16-2003, 01:26 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly_GoLeafsGo
I think there's no doubt that Philly has improved with Comrie. But I don't think he's gonna explode offensively and dramatically improve Phillies goal scoring. Yes he is a great talent, but keep in mind that Philly plays a different style than the high flying Oilers (just incase anyone is freaking out about this trade ). Of course he will help, but he does not make the Flyers unbeatable. You never know he may break out but he may not. Just look at Simon Gagne.

Also, I think this deal means the end of the road for a guy like Handzus. I don't see Clarke leaving their centres as Roenick, Primeau, Comrie, Handzus. There's just not enough ice time for all those guys. I'd bet he tries to ship out Handzus for a Dman. Then he'd really stick it to the Devils, Sens and yes even the Leafs
It will be interesting to see if he makes any impact in the playoffs...

If SIZE and GRIT will play any part in it...If Toronto and Phily play each other and its Toronto's big strong Forwards in a real rough series make Comrie disappear, then this move is irrelevant other than if you can trade a farm hand dman for a Number 2 center that can't hurt RIGHT NOW...

Old
12-16-2003, 01:27 PM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

My guess he moves Handzus back down to the 3rd line and puts Primeau on LW.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:28 PM
leafaholix*

Comrie scares you?

I agree that he's very talented, but he's hardly the kind of player that you should be scared to meet in the postseason.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:29 PM
King of Kelvington

I love this move, if not just for the fact bobby has taken a red hot, well disiplined, first placed, hockey team and added a possible distraction...

Old
12-16-2003, 01:36 PM
Leaf Army

What the hell is Lowe doing? Terrible trade for Edmonton.

The 1st rounder is automatic in these types of trades and the 3rd rounder is pretty much meaningless.

So the best he could do was Woyitka for Comrie? Give me a break. Especially when Philly has guys like Gagne, Williams, Richards and Carter.

So the 1st overall team in the league has added one of the best young centers in the NHL and gave up nothing off their roster. Great.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:37 PM
King of Kelvington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
What the hell is Lowe doing? Terrible trade for Edmonton.

The 1st rounder is automatic in these types of trades and the 3rd rounder is pretty much meaningless.

So the best he could do was Woyitka for Comrie? Give me a break. Especially when Philly has guys like Gagne, Williams, Richards and Carter.

So the 1st overall team in the league has added one of the best young centers in the NHL and gave up nothing off their roster. Great.
Maybe there wa$ $omething el$e included in the deal??? But what?

Old
12-16-2003, 01:39 PM
leafaholix*

It'll hurt Philly more in the future... Jeff Woywitka has #1 potential.

Much tougher to land a guy like that then a 50-70 point centre.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:43 PM
McFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin

Yeah I have to agree, Philly may have overpayed. Comrie may not become the impact player they hope for. And if Woywitka becomes a no1 Dman, Clarke will regret this one. Dmen like that are so hard to come by!

Old
12-16-2003, 02:06 PM
wasting time

my god guys, I think you are overrating Comrie. Personally I think this is highway robbery for Edmonton.

So the flyers got Comrie? All you have to do is win 4 out of 7 and the trade is rendered meaningless.

The flyers are still very beatable.

Old
12-16-2003, 02:10 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
The flyers are still very beatable.
I agree... Mike Comrie's got skills... but physically, he's not very intimidating.

I'd much rather see him on the second or third line then a healthy, young, physical, energized, motivated Woywitka in the first round.

Old
12-16-2003, 03:48 PM
DutchLeafsfan

Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
Hefty price the Flyers paid, especially considering they did not really fill a need. Woywitka, 1st and 3rd is more than I had expected to be the price for Comrie, although the Flyers did deal form a position of strength at D...

I wouldn't have done a Carlo, 1st and 3rd deal for Comrie though..

Old
12-16-2003, 05:42 PM
ATG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchLeafsfan
Hefty price the Flyers paid, especially considering they did not really fill a need. Woywitka, 1st and 3rd is more than I had expected to be the price for Comrie, although the Flyers did deal form a position of strength at D...

Neither would I.Plus let's say by some odd occurence the leafs would acquire mike peca who would be be scarier to face in the playoffs down the middle the flyers with comrie or the leafs with the hard hitting peca

Old
12-16-2003, 06:12 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Hackets in nets for philly

toronto has the edge in goal!

advantage leafs

Old
12-16-2003, 08:26 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin

Woywitka has the potential to be a good #3, he's not good enough in any area to be a #1, he's just a solid dman, IMO.

I don't understand how anyone thinks the Flyers overpaid. Had Comrie not been a holdout everyone would be saying the Flyers robbed the Oilers in this deal, I think everyone has forgot that Comrie is a very good young player. Any time you can get another team's best center (who's also only 23) for (good, not GREAT) picks and prospects, it's a steal, IMO.

Old
12-16-2003, 08:33 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy
Woywitka has the potential to be a good #3, he's not good enough in any area to be a #1, he's just a solid dman, IMO.

I don't understand how anyone thinks the Flyers overpaid. Had Comrie not been a holdout everyone would be saying the Flyers robbed the Oilers in this deal, I think everyone has forgot that Comrie is a very good young player. Any time you can get another team's best center (who's also only 23) for (good, not GREAT) picks and prospects, it's a steal, IMO.
I agree good deal for Flyers....trading extra depth for a proven player is a Win.. Was it a need for Flyers ....I don't think so and Comrie might struggle in the East as he seems more like a Western Conf player..

Old
12-16-2003, 08:34 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy

Agreed.

Comrie for nothing off the roster and a non-Blue Chip Prospect, plus.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-16-2003, 09:06 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Here is a interesting take on things...

Happy? Not Oilers, not Flyers, not Ducks

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...jim&id=1688000

Old
12-17-2003, 03:47 AM
GlueleG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchLeafsfan

Would you have done McCauley, Boyes and a 1st for Owen Nolan?

Old
12-17-2003, 05:37 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlueleG
Would you have done McCauley, Boyes and a 1st for Owen Nolan?
Would you have done Maxim Ouellett (1st/1999), Jeff Woywitka (1st/2001), 1st/2002, 1st/2004, 2nd/2002, 3rd/2002, and a 3rd/2005

for:

Adam Oates for 2 months and Mike Comrie?

The reason why Quinn paid the price for Nolan was because he was in a bidding war with Bob Clarke. Given what he is willing to part with for a player he wants, this is why Nolan came at that price.

Quinn would have been villified by the Toronto press if he had not pulled the tigger, so what is he supposed to do.

By the way, I am not so convinced about Boyes. I'll take Stajan and Steen over him obviously (both were rumored as part of the package instead of Boyes). Even Wellwood is exceeding Boyes' performance in his first year.

Old
12-17-2003, 05:55 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
By the way, I am not so convinced about Boyes. I'll take Stajan and Steen over him obviously (both were rumored as part of the package instead of Boyes). Even Wellwood is exceeding Boyes' performance in his first year.
Actually, Wellwood might be exceeding Boyes 2nd. year in his first year. Looks like Wellwood is making the adjustment a little easier than Bradly did. I did think of Boyes more as a finisher than a playmaker, and Wellwood is more the playmaker.

Closed Thread