HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN Classic: Gretz, Mac T, Huddy, Fuhr, Pronger

Old
04-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
ESPN Classic: Gretz, Mac T, Huddy, Fuhr, Pronger

If you turn on ESPN Classic right now they're playing the Blues-Leafs playoff series from April 1996.

I didn't know Mac T, Huddy, and Pronger were actually teammates at one point. They also had Gretzky and Fuhrsie on that team. Lots of Oiler tie-ins, kinda interesting to see them all together.

If you get the channel via Bell Xpressvu or whatever, you might want to check it out.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 04:59 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Gotta admit, the whole time he was here I had absolutly 100% forgot about the fact that they were teammates in St.Louis! Remember how much heat Keenan got for doing the Shanahan/Pronger swap? That was actually a great job he did in the end IMO because he got Corson later that summer from us who was at the time a top power forward as well. Shanahan, Cujo, Grier, (I'm pretty certain there's something I'm missing but for the life of me I can't remember what it was) for Pronger and Corson....not bad! Adding Gretzky for literally nothing before the 96 playoffs was a solid move too. I know the guy left right after, but LITERALLY Keenan gave up nothing....I think Craig Johnson was the only thing in that deal that KIND OF panned out.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 05:04 AM
Soundwave

Yeah it was sorta ... weird.

Man that team was pretty stacked ... Hull, Gretzky, MacInnis, Pronger, Fuhr, Huddy, and even the great Mac T (lol).

Though I guess you could argue Pronger was too young then, and Gretzky too old.

One thing was clear though watching that, if the NHL had the obstruction rules back then, the games would've be a lot higher scoring. A lot of the stuff that wasn't called then would be an automatic penalty today.

Old
04-03-2007, 10:41 AM
puck57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Yeah it was sorta ... weird.

Man that team was pretty stacked ... Hull, Gretzky, MacInnis, Pronger, Fuhr, Huddy, and even the great Mac T (lol).

Though I guess you could argue Pronger was too young then, and Gretzky too old.

One thing was clear though watching that, if the NHL had the obstruction rules back then, the games would've be a lot higher scoring. A lot of the stuff that wasn't called then would be an automatic penalty today.
Wayne was only what- 35 or so then- maybe a little slower but not too old. Just did not have the right combination of linemates- like with the Rangers. He and Hullie seemed to click- otherwise a weird experiment that just did not work under the ironman.

puck57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 11:53 AM
MightyOil

I swear was that not the year they would have won the cup but Fuhr
got ran by Kypreos (sp) to they had to go with their back up and lost?

MightyOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Well who knows if they would have won the Cup. Fuhr had played GREAT in game 1 of that series, and was standing on his head for the little part of game 2 that he was in there for.....but Casey came in and played stellar as well. Had they put Detroit away though there would have been a good chance Colorado would have got them as well. A big reason the Avs knocked off the Wings in 96 was because Detroit was exhausted from the series with the Blues.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Soundwave

Gretzky's back was also giving him problems all through the playoffs too.