HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pressure now on Fergie

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2003, 10:37 AM
Shawn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Evinou
i don't think that a broken nose and a bruised foot due to blocking a shot is any reason to think someone is injury prone ... these types of injuries could happen to anyone at anytime...colaiacovo has been unlucky this season ... colaiacovo has been playing really well in st. john's, and shouldn't be stereotyped as a fragile player b/c of the injuries he's sustained this year imo.
I was refering to the back problems that he has been having. Maybe I am mis-informed about them though.

Old
12-17-2003, 12:05 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Horner
Not much pressure when your worst critic's are willing to reach into their pockets and give you their last dime to see your games.
I didn't know you went to leaf games Red!

And to Sluggo. After signing Hackett in the off-season and Clarke praising Esche, I doubt he'll make a goalie trade. It never seems to be a priority to him.

Which is good, because I'd rather se Hackett than Burke in the playoffs.

Another note, by giving Chouinard away to create roster space for Philly, I doubt that Comrie, or any Flyer forward is going anywhere soon.

Old
12-17-2003, 12:12 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Yeah, but we got one extra win.
yeah, and 3 more losses

Old
12-17-2003, 12:26 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
yeah, and 3 more losses
Wins is the first tiebreaker

Old
12-17-2003, 12:35 PM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
yeah, and 3 more losses
Oh yah, Our goalie can beat up your goalie.

No, he really can, and did.

Old
12-17-2003, 01:14 PM
McFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
My point being you can't just jump because someone made a move..

There will be better players for cheaper prices later on at the trade dealine.. Why overpay now for an item on Sale later...Particularly if you are in a winning position...
My point wasn't that the Leafs need to make a trade now, but they will have to at some point. Philly has too many weapons and that can wear out a defense core. They already have a strong forecheck, and with Comrie adding speed and skill, do you think a beaten down defense core can handle and contain that speed? Toronto knows that they will have to improve to compete with Philly and New Jersey, and even Ottawa (50 games left). The Comrie trade makes it much clearer.

What Ferguson has to do, is what Bob Clarke did last year. He saw that Quinn upgraded with the Nolan deal, so he brought in Tony Amonte to counter that offense. He figured that he would have to add to his core of forwards to compete with Toronto so he did. Do you see the point here?

Old
12-18-2003, 04:57 AM
Shawn

Quote:
i don't think that a broken nose and a bruised foot due to blocking a shot is any reason to think someone is injury prone ... these types of injuries could happen to anyone at anytime...colaiacovo has been unlucky this season ... colaiacovo has been playing really well in st. john's, and shouldn't be stereotyped as a fragile player b/c of the injuries he's sustained this year imo.

Quoted from the Star today.

"Carlo Colaiacovo could have also been summoned, but he's missed the past four games with a leg injury."

Add to this his back problems and you say he is not injury prone? How many games this year has he missed due to injury?

Old
12-18-2003, 06:09 AM
Doug Evinou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
Quoted from the Star today.

"Carlo Colaiacovo could have also been summoned, but he's missed the past four games with a leg injury."

Add to this his back problems and you say he is not injury prone? How many games this year has he missed due to injury?
I read that as well. in the sun, they report that he was hit from behind in a game and hasn't played since b/c of back problems, which is consistent with what has been reported during the radio broadcasts of the games

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Toront...18/290421.html

the leg injury report is erroneous as far as i know.

i just think his injuries have been a results of bad luck, not b/c he is a soft player. you could make the argument that his playing style puts him in positions to be injured, but i think it's just a stretch of bad luck myself. i wouldn't trade him just b/c of a few injuries, the kid is amazingly talented, and will work through this rough stretch imo.

Old
12-18-2003, 07:35 AM
Shawn

Quote:
I read that as well. in the sun, they report that he was hit from behind in a game and hasn't played since b/c of back problems, which is consistent with what has been reported during the radio broadcasts of the games

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Toront...18/290421.html

the leg injury report is erroneous as far as i know.

i just think his injuries have been a results of bad luck, not b/c he is a soft player. you could make the argument that his playing style puts him in positions to be injured, but i think it's just a stretch of bad luck myself. i wouldn't trade him just b/c of a few injuries, the kid is amazingly talented, and will work through this rough stretch imo.
I don't think he is a soft player at all but I do think he has problems with injury that if they are surfacing like they are now at this lvl what will they be like in the bigger harder hitting NHL? I also agree that he is a tremendous talent but if we were able to trade him in a package for a very good player I would based on the injuries. If not for those I would say he is untouchable.

Old
12-18-2003, 08:22 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly_GoLeafsGo
My point wasn't that the Leafs need to make a trade now, but they will have to at some point. Philly has too many weapons and that can wear out a defense core. They already have a strong forecheck, and with Comrie adding speed and skill, do you think a beaten down defense core can handle and contain that speed? Toronto knows that they will have to improve to compete with Philly and New Jersey, and even Ottawa (50 games left). The Comrie trade makes it much clearer.

What Ferguson has to do, is what Bob Clarke did last year. He saw that Quinn upgraded with the Nolan deal, so he brought in Tony Amonte to counter that offense. He figured that he would have to add to his core of forwards to compete with Toronto so he did. Do you see the point here?
THE COMRIE CHRONICLES

The addition of Mike Comrie to an already strong Philadelphia Flyers team was not lost on many Maple Leaf players.

But according to forward Joe Nieuwendyk, it was not the hot topic of conversation inside the dressing room.

"I don't think there was too much talk about it," Nieuwendyk said."It was a move that helps their team right now. But hey, teams are going to do that.

"There are teams who will try bolster their roster. The Flyers are the first to do that. But we're not concerned with what other teams are doing right now. We're just trying to keep this run we are on, going."

Old
12-18-2003, 08:57 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

TORONTO STAR: Damien Cox reports the Toronto Maple Leafs were one of the clubs who contacted Kevin Lowe last week when news of the tentative deal with the Ducks hit the press. However Lowe apparently wasn't interested in the Leafs prospects and the Leafs weren't keen to trade away their first round pick. Cox also believed Lowe was wrong for dealing Comrie to Philly after reaching an agreement with the Ducks only to "ransom" Comrie by insisting he pay $2.535 million to be dealt. Cox believes the return from the Flyers isn't much better than the one from the Ducks.

Old
12-18-2003, 09:11 AM
wasting time

Quote:
THE COMRIE CHRONICLES

The addition of Mike Comrie to an already strong Philadelphia Flyers team was not lost on many Maple Leaf players.

But according to forward Joe Nieuwendyk, it was not the hot topic of conversation inside the dressing room.

"I don't think there was too much talk about it," Nieuwendyk said."It was a move that helps their team right now. But hey, teams are going to do that.

"There are teams who will try bolster their roster. The Flyers are the first to do that. But we're not concerned with what other teams are doing right now. We're just trying to keep this run we are on, going."

Good for Joe. If the Flyers want to trade away first rounders for 170lb cancers then good for them.

I do not see how this helps the Flyers any more than Comrie would help the Leafs. He may, he may not. He may have a negative impact.

Old
12-18-2003, 09:59 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
Good for Joe. If the Flyers want to trade away first rounders for 170lb cancers then good for them.

I do not see how this helps the Flyers any more than Comrie would help the Leafs. He may, he may not. He may have a negative impact.
If Philly would have added a Jerome Iginla then I would have been nervous...and they still might...I wonder if Comrie would like to play in Calagary since he is a Alberta boy and face the Oilers many times each year..

That's what worries me is that Clarke may use Comrie or Handzus and land a bigger FISH and that is possible...

Old
12-18-2003, 10:13 AM
wasting time

Quote:
If Philly would have added a Jerome Iginla then I would have been nervous...and they still might...I wonder if Comrie would like to play in Calagary since he is a Alberta boy and face the Oilers many times each year..

That's what worries me is that Clarke may use Comrie or Handzus and land a bigger FISH and that is possible...

Or a goalie...

Sure, that can be a concern, but how well are the Flyers structured in terms of salaries going into the new CBA? Not the best, I don't think.

Plus, if Clarke traded for Comrie only to be a tourist for a month or two while the team is in first place, that is pretty risky if you ask me.

And, every time you make a trade, you are really throwing caution to the wind - it is the highest risk transaction a professional team can make.

You just don't tempt the hockey gods by being cute in your treatment of player personnel.

Old
12-18-2003, 10:49 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
Or a goalie...

Sure, that can be a concern, but how well are the Flyers structured in terms of salaries going into the new CBA? Not the best, I don't think.

Plus, if Clarke traded for Comrie only to be a tourist for a month or two while the team is in first place, that is pretty risky if you ask me.

And, every time you make a trade, you are really throwing caution to the wind - it is the highest risk transaction a professional team can make.

You just don't tempt the hockey gods by being cute in your treatment of player personnel.
Interesting Response..

In my world there is only 1 God ...who is usally too busy to worry about hockey trades, but is concerned about the well being of the players involved..

but Clarke did take a AHL dman, a position of strength and make that asset into a 60 point NHL center..giving him additional things to work with...

Just like a big game of world CHESS ...You have to be able to outwit , outlast, yada yada yada etc.. all others..

and I think Fergy is bright guy and you would have to ask yourself..

Why did Clarke make this move when by all accounts Comrie is not a good fit in the East and was not a need at the time, as Philly has depth at center.. So what is he up to.. and Clarke has always been active at the deadline..so what is that Snake up to ..is what I would be thinking..

Old
12-18-2003, 12:48 PM
wasting time

Quote:
Interesting Response..

In my world there is only 1 God ...who is usally too busy to worry about hockey trades, but is concerned about the well being of the players involved..

but Clarke did take a AHL dman, a position of strength and make that asset into a 60 point NHL center..giving him additional things to work with...

Just like a big game of world CHESS ...You have to be able to outwit , outlast, yada yada yada etc.. all others..

and I think Fergy is bright guy and you would have to ask yourself..

Why did Clarke make this move when by all accounts Comrie is not a good fit in the East and was not a need at the time, as Philly has depth at center.. So what is he up to.. and Clarke has always been active at the deadline..so what is that Snake up to ..is what I would be thinking..

It is true in the sense trading players is like making a move on a chess board except for the fact that the chess pieces are inanimate, unfeeling pieces of stone that do not have families, responsibilities, loyalties etc.

Chemistry takes time to develop and needs to be nurtured. This is one area in which I think that Bob Clarke is flawed. He has proven himself to be an insensitive oaf at times. This lack of sensitivity blinds an individual from making optimum personnel decisions. Sure, Bob is an emotional person, but he is definately lacking something.

Guys like Brian Burke, Lou Lamorello, John Ferguson Senior, etc. etc. all are stronger in relating to people than is Bob Clarke, in my opinion.

That is why his "playing footsie" with Mike Comrie's future could completely back fire on him.

Old
12-18-2003, 02:08 PM
Verbal Kint*

Which is why bad karma will pay off and Clarke will NOT get his hands on a cup.

I also believe he had something to do with Lapointe's depression. In a number of interviews in last year's playoff run, he pointed the finger at Lapointe for not contributing at the level Clarke though he was capable of.

Total Idiot. Fitting of a spot on this Flash series: http://www.newgrounds.com/collections/****ingmoron.html

Old
12-18-2003, 04:46 PM
sluggo*

If Philly would have added a Jerome Iginla then I would have been nervous...and they still might

If Igilna is avaible 1) the Leafs NEED to be the team that gets him because they NEED skilled fowards in that age group, and could use a player of that skill in the playoffs, as insurnce if Mogilny or Nolan etc... get hurt and if for no other reason to make sure no other team gets him 2) I think thats the type of deal Ferguson will be looking for, bringing in a superstar like Igilna (even at the expense of someone like Steen) would be him putting his mark on the Leafs team

Chemistry takes time to develop and needs to be nurtured

Which is excatly why the sooner Ferguson makes a deal for that D-man the better.

Old
12-18-2003, 04:53 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
If Philly would have added a Jerome Iginla then I would have been nervous...and they still might

If Igilna is avaible 1) the Leafs NEED to be the team that gets him because they NEED skilled fowards in that age group, and could use a player of that skill in the playoffs, as insurnce if Mogilny or Nolan etc... get hurt and if for no other reason to make sure no other team gets him 2) I think thats the type of deal Ferguson will be looking for, bringing in a superstar like Igilna (even at the expense of someone like Steen) would be him putting his mark on the Leafs team

Chemistry takes time to develop and needs to be nurtured

Which is excatly why the sooner Ferguson makes a deal for that D-man the better.
Not sure I am comfortable having you SLUGGO agreeing with me ....It doesn't happen very often it makes me nervous..

Closed Thread