HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

have players quit on management?

Old
04-02-2007, 10:50 PM
oilersdan

vCash: 500
have players quit on management?

I can't help but think the oilers players have quit on mctavish and the rest of management.

It is either that or they have no pride at all. The performances they turned in against st. louis and chicago are simply inexcusable. The veterans, with the exception of jason smith, haven't been leading, and the rookies - the ones who should be giving the team some spark - haven't done very much to show they really want to be on the team next season.

I think it all stems from the top. Those of us who are parents know we have to set good examples for our kids, not just through words but actions. Well, to me, the oilers brass is saying all the right things, but contradicting themselves with their actions. They say the team should not quit, will not quit, but what did they do when they traded smith for two inconsequential players who they knew would not play on the team this year and the islanders' pick in a poor draft year? Were they not quitting on the team then? I think they were.

So what I see is this. The management first quit on the players, and now the players are quitting on management. I hope I am wrong, because when the players quit on management I think it is hard to get those players back. Maybe I am viewing things in a much too extreme way.

Last edited by oilersdan: 04-02-2007 at 10:52 PM. Reason: grammar
oilersdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 10:55 PM
dasivon

Or we're just not good enough with what we have. That and being short a player for a while didn't help.

dasivon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Bryanbryoil

IMO the same thing happened prior to the play-offs last season. If the team gets off to a slow start next year after some big moves, Mac-T could be down the road.

04-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Ogopogo*

There is a difference between quit and *****. Right now, we are clearly the latter. Rookies don't quit on their NHL chance.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Rookies don't quit on their NHL chance.
Succinct, well put.

Edit: But the Christians never performed too well against the Lions at the Coliseum even if they wanted to stick around..

Last edited by Replacement: 04-03-2007 at 12:15 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Gamefreak
Bee.

Quote:
Rookies don't quit on their NHL chance.
Jani Rita says hi.

Gamefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:13 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
Nahh, i dont think so, if you look at it from their view, its just been a long LONG season, losing, missing playoffs, injuries, low point producers, contracts everything eventually have its toll, so im probably thinking their just tired mentally and physically, and pretty much going, "only 3 more games...", i would maybe venture a guess every other team is frustrated, hell AO stormed out of a meeting, no reason yet, but it could be the reasons stated above. Bad Season's hurt players more than fans as its their life.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:26 PM
aki

Quote:
There is a difference between quit and *****. Right now, we are clearly the latter. Rookies don't quit on their NHL chance.
Sadly, I see it as a bit of both. The vets have quit and the rookies are *****.

aki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:34 PM
dhasek3910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Nahh, i dont think so, if you look at it from their view, its just been a long LONG season, losing, missing playoffs, injuries, low point producers, contracts everything eventually have its toll, so im probably thinking their just tired mentally and physically, and pretty much going, "only 3 more games...", i would maybe venture a guess every other team is frustrated, hell AO stormed out of a meeting, no reason yet, but it could be the reasons stated above. Bad Season's hurt players more than fans as its their life.
The season was a lot longer last year, and they seemed fine.

dhasek3910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Yah, I agree. I think there is another small factor in there. I mean rookies are pushing hard to show they belong, and maybe if your guy out to prove you belong, but if your an established guy I'm thinking the motivation at this point is long gone .... you ain't going to hurt yourself making that extra play ... for what? Long playoff drive with little offseason, Your best player is gone, after a tough season, injuries and flu's, your managment has basically raised the white flag. There are a lot of factors there. I think there will a lot to prove from players AND management from the start of next season.

On a side note, does everyone start to get the feeling that we REALLY should be shorting the season to 72 games? It seems like a trend for the last few years that the teams that go finals never do any good the following season.

Patch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 01:26 AM
Tyrolean

I can see the team going through another non-playoff year next year before they get better. It takes a while before all the new players jell and play as vets.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 01:36 AM
Master Lok

Carolina looks like they're in trouble to make the playoffs too. The long grind of last season, playoffs and this season plus injuries maybe a factor.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 01:53 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Carolina looks like they're in trouble to make the playoffs too. The long grind of last season, playoffs and this season plus injuries maybe a factor.
Both the Hurricane and the Oilers have lost over 200 man-games to injury.

04-03-2007, 02:57 AM
CantHaveTkachev
"McDavid show"Oct/15

vCash: 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhasek3910 View Post
The season was a lot longer last year, and they seemed fine.
but they had a whole year off the year before...

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 03:23 AM
Dooman

The only game the Oilers want to win, is against Calgary, lol.

*if* that game still matters (Colorado HAS to beat Calgary tonight)

Otherwise, I'm not complaining about a better draft pick

Dooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 03:53 AM
ChrisB

The season's been over for a while, and some of the guys have been showing up to work the fact is we're playing a green team due to injuries. Some of the kids are working hard but in way over their heads. I don't think the team has quit on management, the team is just bad as its currently situated. Furthermore, if you want to say they've "quit" the only extent I'll agree with that is they're not going to do anything suicidal to try to win at all costs for example the Horcoff taking a head in the puck to win a kill a penalty in the playoffs type play - why..they're not stupid the season is over.

ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 09:42 AM
OntOilFan

I think it's pretty clear that MacT has lost the room. Anytime you bag-skate your team and then your players proceed to turn in a stinker and lose against Chicago, you should know your days as head coach are numbered.

MacT should step down for the good of the team. It's time for a new direction.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...3-0531bcbdd44f

Heh, I guess the players had their end of year meetings w/ MacT after the Chicago game.

I wonder how Lupul's meeting went?

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Wrecker99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasivon View Post
Or we're just not good enough with what we have. That and being short a player for a while didn't help.
But with Stoll, Moraue & Staios in the line-up, we aren't much better. In ither words we are a bottom tier team either way.

Wrecker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Wrecker99

[QUOTE=oilersdan;8744261]I can't help but think the oilers players have quit on mctavish and the rest of management.

Why not....I have

Wrecker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...3-0531bcbdd44f

Heh, I guess the players had their end of year meetings w/ MacT after the Chicago game.

I wonder how Lupul's meeting went?
Mac-T took some responsibility Good on him for finally accepting that he could do better himself as well. Sounds like Horc is really in a wonderful time. You know that this streak has to be killing guys like himself and Smith. The bottom line is that when they are training this off-season, is there better motivation than not wanting to feel this kind of frustration again??? Probably not.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 11:47 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
You know that this streak has to be killing guys like himself and Smith.
The difference being that Smith has continued to play as hard as he can through out it all where as Horcoff seemed to pull the chute once the Smyth trade went down.

I actually don't mind Horcoff as a player and actually expect him to rebound somewhat on the score sheet next season but he has disappointed me enough during the last 20 games with his lack of effort that I wouldn't be terribly disappointed with him being moved this summer. Same goes for Torres and Lupul.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 12:23 PM
canadave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Mac-T took some responsibility Good on him for finally accepting that he could do better himself as well. Sounds like Horc is really in a wonderful time. You know that this streak has to be killing guys like himself and Smith. The bottom line is that when they are training this off-season, is there better motivation than not wanting to feel this kind of frustration again??? Probably not.
Totally agreed here. The other telling fact from the article is that in today's NHL, quick rebuilds are possible. As the writer pointed out, none of the four 2006 Cup semifinalists, including the Oilers, had made the playoffs in the previous season.

This year, from the beginning it was clear we were in for a dogfight to make the playoffs, and then got absolutely destroyed with injuries. No team in the world would be able to overcome that. Let's see what happens next year with a fresh start, a bunch of extremely motivated players who do NOT want to go through another season like this one, maybe some new faces, and a young group of D who now have some solid NHL game experience under their belts.

canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 12:52 PM
barto

So the Oilers should've signed Smyth for whatever it took? Or gotten some warm body in return who could step in and play right away?

By not doing either of those two things, I don't think the management has 'quit' on the players...they were just doing what they're supposed to do - maximize return on assets. By not signing Smyth, they got quite a bit in return, just nothing that would help this season (obviously). Now it's up to management to use the wealth of assets (mostly in picks/prospects) to turn them into players (or other assets) that will help next year.

Lowe knows the pressure's on to produce something 'big', so we'll see if he can actually deliver.

I think he did the right thing by trading Smyth away, but he'll also be judged by how he does by, say, September & training camp.

Bart

barto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Walsher

After every loss I see another "Have players quit on MacT and Management" thread and it never ceases to amaze me. LOOK AT THE ROSTER. It is aweful at best - its not like this team should be winning games, they are covered with inexperienced, subpar prospects with a spattering of sub par veterans. Couple that with playing teams who are in a dog fight almost every night and you have a recipe for 3 wins in 23ish games. No quit, but no talent, experience, and purpose.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote