HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Andrei Petrunin & Hnat Domenichelli...why didn't they make it?

Old
04-03-2007, 05:35 AM
MarkusNaslund19

vCash: 500
Andrei Petrunin & Hnat Domenichelli...why didn't they make it?

Two players I recall following about 10 years ago. Petrunin played with Samsonov in junior and I recall him being highly touted about a year before the 96 draft, however Hartford ultimately got him in the third round (I believe)...I never really heard anything of him since. Just wondering if anybody actually got to see him play, and what type of player he was?

Domenichelli of course did make it to the show. However, with how dominant he was on Iginla's line in junior it seemed like he had a bright future. Why couldn't he cut it?

I realize that both of these players are fairly obscure and that this thread will therefore elicit a lukewarm response, but if anyone recalls anything of either of these two players I'd be interested to hear it.

MarkusNaslund19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 05:52 AM
Frightened Inmate #2

Domenichelli was fast but that was about that. He had so-so hockey sense and his hands weren't the best so just like so many junior stars the flaws in his game that his strengths were able to hide in juniors became that much more noticeable at the higher levels of play.

Frightened Inmate #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 06:04 AM
mattihp

Hnat had a monster wrist shot, and great speed... But lacked in hockey sense. In Jr. hockey some players can dominate because they are great in a few aspects, but on a higher level you must be more complete.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 02:54 AM
MarkusNaslund19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Elvi View Post
Domenichelli was fast but that was about that. He had so-so hockey sense and his hands weren't the best so just like so many junior stars the flaws in his game that his strengths were able to hide in juniors became that much more noticeable at the higher levels of play.
Really? Looking at his assist totals in junior I assumed that hockey sense must be a strength but given my limited viewing of him I'll definitely take your word for it.

Old
04-04-2007, 05:30 AM
MarkusNaslund19

Point taken. I had had that thought, but I figured that he was likely put on Iginla's line because he was a decent playmaker of his own right. I suppose it gets into one of those cause and effect arguments of, was he on Iginla's line because he had playmaking skills? or were his assist numbers completely inflated by playing on Iginla's line? The responses in this thread have basically given me my answer.

Old
04-04-2007, 07:30 AM
toastman344*

All I remember about ' gnat ' ...was that he played on our World Junior Team...won a gold I believe ( yeah too lazy to check his stats ) ...I likewise recall him playing in the AHL + on a couple of our Spengler Cup Teams... So I suppose he's spent time playing pro over in Europe as well... Can't say exactly why he never had success at the NHL level...But ...If memory serves he was a thin, kinda gangly/ wiry guy, with speed ...who periodically got sprung on breakaways and 2 on 1's...He Could put the biscuit in the basket...so seemed to have decent scoring touch as well.

Probably, IF he had more size/strength/grit...he woulda made it...

toastman344* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusNaslund19 View Post
Point taken. I had had that thought, but I figured that he was likely put on Iginla's line because he was a decent playmaker of his own right. I suppose it gets into one of those cause and effect arguments of, was he on Iginla's line because he had playmaking skills? or were his assist numbers completely inflated by playing on Iginla's line? The responses in this thread have basically given me my answer.
He was likely on Iggy's line because of his speed. Power forwards usually need one speedy linemate to improve the lines transition and forecheck.

04-05-2007, 04:21 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

I saw Domenichelli many times these past four seasons, and I can't remember seeing a guy with such a difference between skills and hockey sense. His decision making is terrible, but he often get away with it because he's skilled enough to still make the play. I guess that's how he got so much assists in juniors.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Tretiak

Here's a feature on Samsonov and Petrunin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IjN4N7n_G0

Enjoy!

Tretiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretiak View Post
Here's a feature on Samsonov and Petrunin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IjN4N7n_G0

Enjoy!
Yeah Samsonov was a big time prospect back in the day, right up there with the Daniel Cleary's, Adams Colagiacomo's, Daniel Tkaczuk's and Jason Wards' of the world. Still turned out to be a good player, even though things have fallen flat this year.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 06:57 AM
Tretiak

Anyone know what Petrunin is up to nowadays?

Old
04-20-2007, 07:09 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretiak View Post
Anyone know what Petrunin is up to nowadays?
Flipping burgers at

MacDonaldski's.

Nah. He's still playing with some russian team IIRC.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 07:39 AM
Hunter Gathers
Love the Bomb

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Elvi View Post
So-so hockey sense is giving the guy too much credit...

Hunter Gathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 07:59 AM
Tretiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Flipping burgers at

MacDonaldski's.
Is he working the same shift as Bure?

Old
04-20-2007, 08:42 PM
bleedgreen

as a whaler fan i can tell you what happened to them. they were drafted by us. the whale was cursed and these poor guys were victims.

fwiw, i remember when hnat got his few chances on the whale - he looked great. he was fast as hell. no idea what happened to him after that, not sure he ever really got a chance. as for petrunin, the whale was not a team who paid for guys from overseas unless they were close to sure things. he probably never a got an offer worth leaving home for.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote