HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All-Time Draft #7, Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2007, 01:26 PM
BM67

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnasaurus View Post
Can I PM my next pick to someone. I'm up after 66 and I'll be gone from like 3pm est until like 2am est or so.
I'll be around.

Old
04-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Pwnasaurus

Thx for the help. PM sent. Happy drafting folks.

Old
04-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Clearly this idea ain't goin' so hot...

Any volunteers for my list?

04-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Wisent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post

I`d take yours if that is any help, but I will go to bed in 3 hours or so.

Old
04-06-2007, 02:19 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:

I should be around tonight, buddy.

Old
04-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Evil Speaker
Registered

vCash: 275
It's the nicest day ever here in Vancouver so i'll be gone for a while.
I'll be back when the Jays game starts.

Old
04-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Sent to GBC, hope it's clear and can be used.

Was #66 PMed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Speaker View Post
It's the nicest day ever here in Vancouver so i'll be gone for a while.
I'll be back when the Jays game starts.
It is a beauty.

Old
04-06-2007, 03:52 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Sent to GBC, hope it's clear and can be used.

Was #66 PMed?

It is a beauty.
I PM'ed #66 after I picked for VCL. He hasn't been on-line since the wee hours of the morning. Not like him to not PM a list if he's not going to be around.

NP, you weren't kidding when you said it was a complex list. But you should be able to get one or two of the guys you want.

Old
04-06-2007, 05:54 PM

Sorry about that guys. Les As is proud to select Alex Mogilny.

If something like this ever happens again feel free to skip me after 6 hours. Can someone please PM the next GM for me? I'm posting from work on my cell. Thanks and thanks for not just skipping me.

Old
04-06-2007, 06:02 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post

If something like this ever happens again feel free to skip me after 6 hours. Can someone please PM the next GM for me? I'm posting from work on my cell. Thanks and thanks for not just skipping me.
BM has Pawn's pick, so he'll likely announce the pick when he comes back on-line.

Old
04-06-2007, 06:23 PM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
It wasn't someone I was looking for, but I would of gladly took him if he was around when my pick was on. I understand his last two years in the league wasn't really prolific, but he still has a very good resume.

Old
04-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Pwnasaurus

Sorry for the delay...was supposed to go work late tonight but I came down with a virus of some kind and am resting (the beauty of making your own hours). The Kansas City Scouts are pleased to select D- Bill White

Old
04-06-2007, 06:50 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Las Vegas Thunder
coach Scotty Bowman

Old
04-06-2007, 06:54 PM
reckoning

Quote:
Sorry for the delay...was supposed to go work late tonight but I came down with a virus of some kind and am resting (the beauty of making your own hours). The Kansas City Scouts are pleased to select D- Bill White
BM67 isn't going to be happy about that selection.

Old
04-06-2007, 06:59 PM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Las Vegas Thunder
coach Scotty Bowman
I wondered when the first coach would be select. Ne never been picked after 167, but it's understandable (is it a word?) since with 28 teams, you can't picked a coach before having at least 6-7 core players on your team. Let's see if a run of coach will now start; the same thing happenned with the goaltenders and the defensemans through the draft.

Old
04-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Evil Speaker
Registered

Quote:
Okay, i'm officialy screwed. Sophomore slump here I come.

Old
04-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
BM67 isn't going to be happy about that selection.
Yeah he expressed disgust when I PM'd him the pick earlier. I told him that it's not my fault that right handed steady 2 way defensemen who could play on any pairing are valuable.

Old
04-06-2007, 07:05 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Yeah he expressed disgust when I PM'd him the pick earlier. I told him that it's not my fault that right handed steady 2 way defensemen who could play on any pairing are valuable.
Making him announce that pick would be like a knife through the commish's heart. There are a few guys, after the first 50-75 picks, in the draft who I won't pick out of respect for another GM. I won't pick White, Ramsay or Nedomansky in the 250 out fo respect for BM.

I have HO's pick, but I'm guessing he's one of the users viewing this thread, so I'll give him a few minutes. Besides, we're waiting for kruez.

Old
04-06-2007, 07:07 PM
pappyline

GBC,Thanks for making my pick. Here is a quote on Falaman:

Fern Flaman
"He's the toughest defenseman I ever played against."

That ringing endorsement came from no other than Mr. Hockey himself, Gordie Howe. And he was talking about Ferny Flaman, the Scott Stevens of his day.

Flaman was a rugged, no-nonsense defenseman with the Boston Bruins and Toronto Maple Leafs for 15 National Hockey League seasons. He scored just 34 career goals, but Flaman was known more for his vicious body checking, his aggressive play and his uncanny shot blocking ability.

Though known as the toughest defenseman in the league, Flaman did not necessarily want that advertised.

"I've got a wife and daughter to support," Flaman told reporter Herb Ralby back in 1948. "I can't have everybody in the league after me which is what happens to a player with that reputation."

After establishing himself as a feared enforcer, thanks largely to memorable battles with the Leafs' Bill Eznicki and Gus Mortson, Flaman never went looking for a fight, though he found more than a few anyways. He was always the first player to arrive on the scene should one of his teammates find themselves in any sort of peril.

Far more impressive than his fistic ability was his feared status in the bodychecking department. In addition to Howe, Jean Beliveau, the most imposing figure of his day, held a great respect for Flaman.

"Any other player I do not worry about," Beliveau told writer Jim Proudfoot. "But when I go near that fellow, believe me I look over my shoulder."

Proudfoot was one of the few and most prolific writers of his day, establishing his archives as window at generations gone by. About Flaman he wrote:

"When hockey players talk shop, they frequently discuss the matter of who is their toughest opponent. A note of something bordering on awe creeps into the conversation when the name Flaman comes up. It is not a question of fear, for Flaman is not a vicious player, but a question of knowing that Flaman can deal a devastating body check, that he is among the most competent of defencemen in the business, and that, if aroused, he is one of the most capable fisticuffers in the league."

Old
04-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Making him announce that pick would be like a knife through the commish's heart. There are a few guys, after the first 50-75 picks, in the draft who I won't pick out of respect for another GM. I won't pick White, Ramsay or Nedomansky in the 250 out fo respect for BM.

I have HO's pick, but I'm guessing he's one of the users viewing this thread, so I'll give him a few minutes. Besides, we're waiting for kruez.
I wasn't aware he was such a big fan.

Old
04-06-2007, 07:09 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post

Fern Flaman

That ringing endorsement came from no other than Mr. Hockey himself, Gordie Howe. And he was talking about Ferny Flaman, the Scott Stevens of his day.

Flaman was a rugged, no-nonsense defenseman with the Boston Bruins and Toronto Maple Leafs for 15 National Hockey League seasons. He scored just 34 career goals, but Flaman was known more for his vicious body checking, his aggressive play and his uncanny shot blocking ability.

Though known as the toughest defenseman in the league, Flaman did not necessarily want that advertised.

"I've got a wife and daughter to support," Flaman told reporter Herb Ralby back in 1948. "I can't have everybody in the league after me which is what happens to a player with that reputation."

After establishing himself as a feared enforcer, thanks largely to memorable battles with the Leafs' Bill Eznicki and Gus Mortson, Flaman never went looking for a fight, though he found more than a few anyways. He was always the first player to arrive on the scene should one of his teammates find themselves in any sort of peril.

Far more impressive than his fistic ability was his feared status in the bodychecking department. In addition to Howe, Jean Beliveau, the most imposing figure of his day, held a great respect for Flaman.

"Any other player I do not worry about," Beliveau told writer Jim Proudfoot. "But when I go near that fellow, believe me I look over my shoulder."

Proudfoot was one of the few and most prolific writers of his day, establishing his archives as window at generations gone by. About Flaman he wrote:

"When hockey players talk shop, they frequently discuss the matter of who is their toughest opponent. A note of something bordering on awe creeps into the conversation when the name Flaman comes up. It is not a question of fear, for Flaman is not a vicious player, but a question of knowing that Flaman can deal a devastating body check, that he is among the most competent of defencemen in the business, and that, if aroused, he is one of the most capable fisticuffers in the league."
Here's another quote on Flaman: "NOOOO!" from HF defenceman expert Evil Speaker. I think that says it all. Having E-Speak react like that to the selection of a defenceman is maybe the biggest compliment in the draft, even bigger than me saying "That guy was great in the playoffs.

Old
04-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Evil Speaker
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post

Fern Flaman

Makes my defence from last draft look even better doesnt it

Old
04-06-2007, 07:13 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Speaker View Post
Makes my defence from last draft look even better doesnt it
Five of my top-6 from last time have already been picked.

Old
04-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Evil Speaker
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Five of my top-6 from last time have already been picked.
Ouch, my pride

Old
04-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Hockey Outsider

I was struggling to choose between White and his defense partner. I think this makes my decision a bit easier.

I'll take D Pat "Whitey" Stapleton. He was a three-time all-star, three-time Norris finalist, and played in the 1972 Summit Series. Stapleton was an excellent defensive defenseman, who used smart positioning and discipline to drive opponents away from the puck. He also did an excellent job getting the puck out of the zone with quick, accurate passes. Stapleton held the record for assists in a season (50) before Orr re-wrote the record books.

Quote:
[Stapleton] had become an outstanding defensive player, who did provided [sic] strong support for the Chicago goalies. "Whitey" was a very good puck handler who launched many Chicago offensive "counterattacks" with fast, accurate passes to the Black Hawk forwards.
Quote:
Along with defensive partner Bill White, "Whitey" was probably Team Canada's finest defensemen during the [1972 Summit] Series. He was always Head Coach Harry Sinden's first choice on defense when it came to protect a lead in the final minutes.
Quote:
[Stapleton] was one of Head Coach Billy Harris's first choices for Team Canada 1974. Pat was named captain of the team and along with defensive partner J.C. Tremblay would be the defenseman Harris would use in almost every crucial situation.
Quote:
While he proved to be a capable goal-scoring threat, setting up teammates with first-rate passes was Stapleton’s true forte, often threading the puck through a maze of skates and sticks to create a high-percentage shot. A three-time Second Team All-Star, Stapleton was equally adept at poking the puck away from rivals with a swift flick of his stick, teaming with the aforementioned Bill White to rate one of the best defensive duos in the league at the time.

Closed Thread