HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Sean Avery become the Face of The NY Rangers

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-02-2007, 10:17 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Has Sean Avery become the Face of The NY Rangers

Man was the city a buzz with Sean Avery last night. Everyone talking Avery. How he inspires the team.....makes everyone around him a play their best.

5 on 5 , the PP, the PK, he finishes every check and if the timing is right he'll drop the gloves.

Every shift he makes something happen. If he's not getting or setting he's making them pay.

We are no longer an easy team to defend by just double teaming JJ. It's just not that simple anymore (HUGE PROGRESS) and Sean is surprisingly a BIG part of why that is the case.

He is a guy who was not drafted, he earned his way onto an NHL team by having to work EXTRA hard on every shift and THAT is something your typical New Yorker can appreciate.

He is the ultimate underdog and he's ours.

04-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Fletch

It's weird...

having a guy like him in the lineup because he's the type of player we've always wanted, but not the kind of guy we had. Hopefully the love fest doesn't come to an end, as he has been a most pleasant surprise. This guy has been excellent, but came here for Jason Ward. Seems like the steal of the century (or at least the year for the Rangers), or are we in for some surprises? Hopefully not.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

He's been a "shot in the arm" for sure. This team has been a lot of fun the past few weeks and Avery has got a lot to do with that.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Chimp

I wouldn't say THE face, but yes, he certainly is a very important part of our game. I think the big turnaround of the season was when we got Avery. He was the missing piece of the puzzle. The player you love to have and hate to face. And when he's also scoring goals, well... that's just great.

Shanny fighting Brashear and getting Avery were the two key moments this season I think.

The change was also very successful for Avery. It was an injection for him as much as for this team. Seriously, who would you rather play for today? Kings or Rangers?

Last edited by Chimp: 04-02-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 10:28 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

He is all over the morning papers.....lead on TSN

The Broadway Beatdown

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

Last Nights game was televised across Canada

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 10:29 AM
dank

not the Face, but definitely part of our core..

<-----

if this were EHM i'd change his player status to "Key/Core Player"..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Did anyone see him talking about the huge zit on his forehead after the game with Al? Al was completely flummoxed, it was classic.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 10:32 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I think the fact that he's managed to produce offensively and kill penalties as well as do all the other things he's done has taken his game up a notch. He's scored some really big goals for this team in the short time he's been here (Last night, St Louis off the top of my head).

04-02-2007, 10:35 AM
geisenNYR

Avery has definitely changed the mindset of this team and has given the Rangers an energy boost. He is great in all aspects of the game, PP, PK, Even, he scores, he its, he fighta, and draws penalties, there is no doubt that he is a great player. But to say that he is the face of the Rangers is drastic. When you think of the Rangers you think of Jagr, Shanny, and Lundqvist, Avery isn't there yet. Even though he is popular with the fans he is not yet the face of the team.

geisenNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 10:40 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Great quote from Jagr:

""In [The Hockey News] there was a vote that said Sean is the most overrated player, but I think he's the most underrated," said Jagr. "He was the difference for us. He's been huge for us."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04022007...rry_brooks.htm

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Jackson Ranger

He's the face of the team in terms of how other teams view the Rangers. No longer do teams just have to worry about stopping Jagr, they have to plan on how to stop a second line that is very abrasive. The Rangers were known as a very soft team, I don't think you can say that about this team now.

Also, he seems to get along with Jagr very well (last night they were both laughing on the bench). My biggest fear when he was acquired was he'd be a cancer but if he has Jagr on his side, that's far from the truth.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 10:41 AM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
not the Face, but definitely part of our core..
I think that's just about right. When other people think Rangers, they tend to think Jagr, but now Avery is someone who has barged his way into the picture, too. It's like Toronto: I think of Sundin first, but Tucker's always on the mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisenNYR View Post
Avery has definitely changed the mindset of this team and has given the Rangers an energy boost. He is great in all aspects of the game, PP, PK, Even, he scores, he its, he fighta, and draws penalties, there is no doubt that he is a great player. But to say that he is the face of the Rangers is drastic. When you think of the Rangers you think of Jagr, Shanny, and Lundqvist, Avery isn't there yet. Even though he is popular with the fans he is not yet the face of the team.
I totally agree. He's been so much more than I had hoped for (or, more accurately, feared), since he arrived.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 10:44 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

His interviews are priceless

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:12 AM
broadwayblue

Couple questions about Avery and last night's game.

Why were the refs talking to Renney about him? TSN said it had something to do with his celebration after his first goal.

Also, shouldn't Tucker have received an instigator for the fight? His gloves were off well before Avery's.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Anyone notice what he did in the fight? Pull Tucker's helmet back and then head-butt him?

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:29 AM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Couple questions about Avery and last night's game.

Why were the refs talking to Renney about him? TSN said it had something to do with his celebration after his first goal.

Also, shouldn't Tucker have received an instigator for the fight? His gloves were off well before Avery's.
I am pretty confident nobody in the league (and if Tucker can't that just goes to show how much nobody means here) could possibly get an instigator against Avery. Everybody in the league, including the refs hate him, but that is part of what makes him great. He takes so much attention away from Jagr, Nylander, Shanny and the offensive weapons that the ice is all of a sudden open for the first time all season. 17 goals in 3 games, anybody???

Oh, that is one great part f Avery's game, the other? That headbutt during the fight.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:29 AM
NYROrtsFan

Wouldn't say the face of the team. He'll be a part of the core though. Valuable to have a guy like him who can play top 2 line hockey.

The fact that he and Jagr have hit it off is pretty huge. Jagr has always seemed to be at his best when attention is taken off of him and Avery does exactly that.

Shanahan playing much better in the last game was big too. Looked like himself.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:40 AM
XploD

Man I've yet to hear any interviews from the guy since he's been a Ranger, besides the two uploaded on youtube. They always seem to interview him after the game and the stream usually changes channel before I can see it.

If anyone has interviews recorded, please upload them on youtube!

XploD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ View Post
Anyone notice what he did in the fight? Pull Tucker's helmet back and then head-butt him?
I noticed that, it was slight, but still.....

I've been quite surprised by Avery keeping his
cool for the most part. I always thought he was a decent player,
its good to see him mature. Now lets hope some of the HF sproutlings
will do the same

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 12:21 PM
eco's bones

He's not the face of the Rangers but maybe the most hated face on the Rangers. In retrospect going back to the time before the trade we needed someone like him very badly. A key part to why we've turned our season around.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 12:45 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I noticed that, it was slight, but still.....

I've been quite surprised by Avery keeping his
cool for the most part. I always thought he was a decent player,
its good to see him mature. Now lets hope some of the HF sproutlings
will do the same
Totally agree. I said it when we acquired him and I think it held up: This is just like when we got Barnaby. Marginal role player on a bad team, easily distracted and insignificant without a larger purpose. Mess pulled Barnaby aside when he got here and told him he had to be a team leader. He had to set the example and be more than a pest. This is Avery's story now too. He is simply rising to the occasion. He will leave everything on the ice but he needs to be counted on and an important cog for it to come about.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 12:52 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
I think that as long as he's here, Jagr will be the face of the Rangers. He's the biggest offensive threat, one of the all-time greats, and he has name recognition beyond the core NHL fans.

Avery might be who we as Rangers fans consider the face of our recent resurgence, but when other people think Rangers they think Jaromir Jagr.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Czecher

More Sean Avery

And he's not getting bashed!

http://www.nbcsports.com/nhl/1307780/detail.html

Don't know about anyone else but it's fine with me that other players think he's overrated. 16-5-5 speaks for itself.

Czecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:21 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Anyone got videos of his interview? I missed the zit one, and the whiner one. Oh man I always miss the good stuff.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:53 PM
sticknrink

Avery is the kind of player love if he's on your team or hate if he's on another. It's the same with other guys like Cooke, Ruutu, Tucker, Burrows, Niemenen, etc.

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote