HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

*OFFICIAL* Doug MacLean Fired (All talk here!!)

View Poll Results: MacLean will:
Stay on as both President and GM 37 53.62%
Stay on as President only 13 18.84%
Will be out of both jobs 19 27.54%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-05-2007, 06:09 AM
PubOFH

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
*OFFICIAL* Doug MacLean Fired (All talk here!!)

The axe is ready. His executioners are going to talk it over one more time before a decission is made.

http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/con...1_6U69UVQ.html

Quote:
McConnell waits to address MacLean's job
Blue Jackets owner will meet with his partners first

By Aaron Portzline

Blue Jackets majority owner John H. McConnell will meet with the club's three minority owners this month, when they'll discuss, among other topics, the future of president and general manager Doug MacLean.

No date for the meeting has been set.

McConnell, who attended the Blue Jackets practice yesterday in Nationwide Arena, was asked whether he could say for certain that MacLean would be retained.

"I'd rather not say right now, one way or the other," McConnell said. "I've got to get with the other three owners. We'll have a meeting here in the next week or two to decide."...............

Man...I would be tickled pink if he was fired. Then break out Dancin Dougie.

Last edited by X0ssbar: 04-18-2007 at 08:16 PM.
PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 06:12 AM
PubOFH

Read the whole article. I get the vibe that he will be gone.

Old
04-05-2007, 06:33 AM
Grouchy

Send a message via Yahoo to Grouchy
I didn't get the vibe that Maclean is "gone". If anything I was somewhat (microscopically) upset about how the meetings were so simple, go around the table type of deal.

"Happy with Maclean?"
"Yeah"
"For now"
"Sure"
"I agree"
"Done, lets do lunch"

Grouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 06:43 AM
X0ssbar

I can't get the friggan article to open... you aren't having any problems opening it apparently Pubs?

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 06:45 AM
DougKnowsBest

its crashing on me.....again

doug must be hacking the dispatch site

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 06:53 AM
X0ssbar

As I posted in the lounge notify the Dispatch of your problems with their site here -> http://wwwphp.dispatch.com/services/...upportform.php

Enough of us ***** I'm sure they'll fix it.

Old
04-05-2007, 06:57 AM
PubOFH

It opens for me. Seems to be in the mornings. They must change around their links like half way though the first cup of coffee over there.

Old
04-05-2007, 07:00 AM
PubOFH

Here is the main telling paragraph for me:

Quote:
The contract includes a rollover contingency known as an "evergreen" clause. If ownership doesn't act by Feb. 1, 2008, MacLean's contract automatically extends two more years.
If he doesnt get canned by Feb...we have him 2 more years after that. I bet this is a main talking point for the owners.
----------------------------------------------------
I think this tells it all. Its Old John with Little J.P.

Old
04-05-2007, 07:05 AM
Matt Foley*

Here's a link from 1460:

http://www.1460thefan.com/default.ph...405-D1-01.html

I'll take a minute to read it and then share my thoughts.

Edit:

A couple of weeks ago on his show, Doug made it sound like that ownership had already let him know that he was going to be around a while longer. Was anyone else under this impression? Maybe I just misunderstood what was said on the show.

As far as the personnel discussions go, I like to hope that the discussions go beyond just, "Are you happy with MacLean?". I've got to think that it goes further than that.

Here's a quote from John P. that convinces me why I think that MacLean will likely stay:

"But if you look at what Ken Hitchcock has done with the talent Doug has here, it’s a much improved team."

If John H. thinks along the same lines as John P., then I think that DM is safe. John H. is his own man, however, and may not agree with his son, so my thoughts here may be total rubbish (wouldn't be the first time, that's for sure).

I think Hitch's arrival may have saved Doug's job, for now. If next season is, as usual, a complete disaster by Christmas, at that point I think DM could be fired. The owners have until Feb. 1, 2008 to act, so certainly that is deep enough into the season to know if this team is a contender or a pretender.

Last edited by Matt Foley*: 04-05-2007 at 07:29 AM.
Matt Foley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 07:20 AM
OnYourIgnoreList

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-Lebowski View Post
Read the whole article. I get the vibe that he will be gone.
Based on a couple of quotes from Mac Jr and Mac Sr., seems like the thinking on Doug may ot be 100% in agreement.

From Jr. :
Quote:
Asked whether he would extend MacLean a vote of confidence, John P. said: "I canít speak for the owners. Iím not a part of the group, per se. But if you look at what Ken Hitchcock has done with the talent Doug has here, itís a much improved team."
(emphasis added).

Quote:
In six seasons, the Blue Jackets havenít come close to making the Stanley Cup playoffs. In fact, they have the worst record in the NHL over the past six seasons ó 171-257-33-29 ó and theyíve never come within 19 points of making the playoffs.

"This has been Dougís franchise," John H. said.
(emphasis added).

Seems like Jr. is looking at the talent level and is reasonably happy with it, while Sr. is taking more of a long view. Of course, Sr. is the only one of the pair with a vote.

OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 07:22 AM
3mta3

I didn't get that he was gone from that either. I got that he's no longer the Golden Child (I-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i want the knife ... pleeeease) but I got that message when he was neutered in public with the Gallant firing.

I like the increased scrutiny, I like the heat, I like the owner saying it out loud but I don't equate that with "he's gone". ESPECIALLY when the date for action is 2/1/2008 before he gets a 2 year extension.

Pressure to perform in the front office is no different from pressure to perform on the ice and you all know how strongly I feel about removing the entitlement factor from ice time.

p.s. The Dispatch's new website has sucked since the redesign

3mta3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 08:29 AM
CapnCornelius

The way I read this, we're stuck with him for a full year under Hitchcock barring some huge revelation by ownership at their meeting.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 08:33 AM
CBJSlash

I didn't actually get that he was on the chopping block. I actually thought the tone (if you can get such a thing from a newspaper) indicated he would stay.

Between

A. The improvement under Hitchcock
B. The huge buyout they would have to make

I think he'll be staying with us.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 08:43 AM
X0ssbar

I also get the impression he stays from that article. I certainly hope its also more than just "how he's doing?" round table discussion.....perhaps they should be looking at some numbers including win/losses and the season ticket renewal rates. These guys aren't that stupid though - they'll be considering all of that.....right?

Old
04-05-2007, 08:55 AM
PubOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
I also get the impression he stays from that article. I certainly hope its also more than just "how he's doing?" round table discussion.....perhaps they should be looking at some numbers including win/losses and the season ticket renewal rates. These guys aren't that stupid though - they'll be considering all of that.....right?
They are not all billionaires for nothing. Im betting they are tired of losing money and losing games.

Old
04-05-2007, 09:00 AM
DGMBJfan

After I finally got the article to open......

It seemed to me to be nothing more than a filler column. Routine meeting, routine questions. Why is Portzline bringing this up now? If this were some kind of special come-to-Jesus meeting that the Mac's called, then it would be newsworthy. But it sounds like it's a standard owners meeting with a standard agenda. What's the big deal?

DGMBJfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-Lebowski View Post
They are not all billionaires for nothing. Im betting they are tired of losing money and losing games.

Are the CBJ losing money? I was under the impression the organization was in the black.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 09:21 AM
CBJFan#1

The organization has been in the black but as i understand it this was not a profitable season. Next year salaries will be rising, and with Hitch having the time to implement his system, next year will be the year Doug gets the boot if the team doesn't produce.

CBJFan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 09:25 AM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
If their meetings are anything like mine, the key players are EXPECTED to analyze the situation in depth before the meeting. After going around the table for their analysis, if everyone comes to the same conclusion, a decision is made. If not, discussion is held.

Reading between the lines, I'd say GMDM could very well be dismissed after this meeting. But if it's one thing I've learned by being a fan of this organization, I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Last edited by leesmith: 04-05-2007 at 09:37 AM.
leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 09:36 AM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
If their meetings are anything like mine, the key players are EXPECTED to analyze the situation in depth before the meeting. After going around the table for their analysis, if everyone comes to the same conclusion, a decision is made. If not, discussion is held.
I think in this case with the CBJ management we need to get falcor into the meeting to prevent groupthink.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 09:44 AM
cbjrocks

My read..

Mac doesn't want to pay him to do nothing...

He stays as President and figurehead until his contract terms
Director of player personal hired before the draft

DM has been a good solider in keeping his hands out of the coaches office...now he'll be told to keep his hands off player decisions.

Of course, the tea leaves are not clear on this from media reports.

cbjrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 09:46 AM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSlash View Post
I think in this case with the CBJ management we need to get falcor into the meeting to prevent groupthink.
You have a collection of intelligent, VERY confident individuals who are certain their own opinion is the right one. I don't think you have to worry about 'groupthink'

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Amazing how some posters seem to be "reading into" the article whatever thay want. Taken at face value, it means absolutely nothing.

My take tags onto DCMB's question below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMBJfan View Post
After I finally got the article to open......

It seemed to me to be nothing more than a filler column. Routine meeting, routine questions. Why is Portzline bringing this up now? If this were some kind of special come-to-Jesus meeting that the Mac's called, then it would be newsworthy. But it sounds like it's a standard owners meeting with a standard agenda. What's the big deal?
Portzy knows there's a buzz about Doug's future among the CBJ fan base, so he asked the powers that be the question. They replied that "There's a meeting. We always have it. Everybody is always being evaluated." Story leads as though it was a specific answer to Portzy's question about Doug.

"Doug's future at stake as owners meet"

is a better headline/story than

"CBJ ownership to hold routine meeting"

Old
04-05-2007, 10:17 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Amazing how some posters seem to be "reading into" the article whatever thay want. Taken at face value, it means absolutely nothing.

My take tags onto DCMB's question below...

Portzy knows there's a buzz about Doug's future among the CBJ fan base, so he asked the powers that be the question. They replied that "There's a meeting. We always have it. Everybody is always being evaluated." Story leads as though it was a specific answer to Portzy's question about Doug.

"Doug's future at stake as owners meet"

is a better headline/story than

"CBJ ownership to hold routine meeting"

Portzline wrote the story, an editor read it and pulled that thought out for the headline. You're right about which one makes a "better" headline.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Byrral

Bahhhhh. This is nothing but the same speculation that we have been debating on this board for the past several months. This sounds like a typical annual owners meeting that every organization/corporation has to evaluate the state of the company. The performance of the team on the ice is what stands out in the publics eyes but Dougs job is much more defined than that. The team has failed to produce on the ice but Doug has passing grades in many other facets of his job as President and Alternate Governor. I'm not saying that it would absolutely prevent a move by the owners but I would be surprised if they made any move prior to February 2008.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote