HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Views on Stan Kroenke

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2007, 04:03 PM
arsenalfan

vCash: 500
Views on Stan Kroenke

Hello Avalanche fans,

Stan Kroenke, who I understand is your co-owner, has just bought 10% of my english soccer club, Arsenal.

It seems he might be looking to launch a takeover bid.

What are your opinions of the man? How was he helped your team etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old
04-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Drury_Sakic

He is a great person to own your club if you want him to spend money on your team(i.e. have a winning team) You know that his pockets are almost endless. Avs dynasty would not have happned without the man and his willingness to spend and his general "hands off" approach. He trusts his managment teams to run the club.

On a personal level, I absolutly hate what he stands for and the personal values he holds. Anyone that is part of the Walmart ownership lacks a basic set of moral values and any respect for workers. He is bad for the American fabric and small towns everywhere......

Honest enough?

Old
04-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Love him as an owner hate his family.

He's done a great job with all his teams, 4 of which have won a championship: Avs, Mammoth, Crush and Rams (minority stake). Brought some life back to the Nuggets, actually found an idea to market soccer instead of lecturing.

He also is aware of his own limitations, he knows Basketball pretty well but he's kept his hands off on the Avs.

Old
04-05-2007, 07:46 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

I'll play devil's advocate and go on the record as saying he is a great owner, great person and a great business man. While I apparently might be in the minority here I like Wal-Mart. Last time I checked no one was holding a gun to Wal-Mart employees' heads and telling them they had to work there.

Old
04-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
I'll play devil's advocate and go on the record as saying he is a great owner, great person and a great business man. While I apparently might be in the minority here I like Wal-Mart. Last time I checked no one was holding a gun to Wal-Mart employees' heads and telling them they had to work there.
If there's nowhere else to work...

Old
04-05-2007, 08:05 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
If there's nowhere else to work...
Are you seriously telling me that your classified want ads only has one listing...

"Wanted: Wal-Mart buttboy?"

Give me a break. If you need work you can find it. It might not be a great job but it'll get you by until you can either move to a place that offers you a job that matches your talents or you figure out that you might need to increase either your work-ethic or your education to get what you want. Last time I checked both my life manual and the Constitutuion there was no guarantee of full medical benefits and a retirement package included in either.

Old
04-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Are you seriously telling me that your classified want ads only has one listing...

"Wanted: Wal-Mart buttboy?"
Pretty much.

Not to mention the after affects of costing outside jobs and eroding the tax base of the community.
Quote:
Give me a break. If you need work you can find it. It might not be a great job but it'll get you by until you can either move to a place that offers you a job that matches your talents or you figure out that you might need to increase either your work-ethic or your education to get what you want. Last time I checked both my life manual and the Constitutuion there was no guarantee of full medical benefits and a retirement package included in either.
I think Wal-Mart employees work as hard as anyone. The tax payer makes up plenty of shortfalls in Wal-mart's coverage.

I don't see any guarantees of profits, easments and tax breaks in the constitution

Old
04-05-2007, 08:39 PM
ColoradoHockeyFan

Love his money.

Don't love his selective non-financial support.

Old
04-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Horsehouse

better than the Monfarts. much much better

Old
04-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse house View Post
better than the Monfarts. much much better
Faint Praise.

Old
04-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Horsehouse

Quote:
Faint Praise.
i say that cuz i wonder how much better the rockies can be if he owned them. but i guess that won't happen if I recall a certain post correctly.

Old
04-05-2007, 10:42 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalfan View Post
Hello Avalanche fans,

Stan Kroenke, who I understand is your co-owner, has just bought 10% of my english soccer club, Arsenal.

It seems he might be looking to launch a takeover bid.

What are your opinions of the man? How was he helped your team etc?

Any help would be appreciated.
He is willing to spend money on the team, if that's what you are asking. Right now the Avs are recovering from the salary cap that was put into effect 2 years ago, so they are rebuilding with a youth squad for the most part. This offseason the Avs are projected to be spenders.

Previously, before the cap, the Avalance were a big market club with several stars on the team. They will never have that type of star power again, but next season we should see a much stronger team.

Arsenal will have an owner/co-owner that wants to win should he get heavily involved with Arsenal's market transfers/signings.

Old
04-05-2007, 10:44 PM
SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post

On a personal level, I absolutly hate what he stands for and the personal values he holds. ....
Do you KNOW him personally? That's kinda tough.

Quote:
Anyone that is part of the Walmart ownership lacks a basic set of moral values and any respect for workers. He is bad for the American fabric and small towns everywhere......
I don't think he's part of Walmart ownership. He is careful to point out that his money is his own money, he made it, it isn't his wife's.

That said, of COURSE it is much, much easier to take financial risks when your wife is a billionaire on her own account. But I think he uses his own $$$ for his enterprises.

Old
04-06-2007, 12:12 AM
bling

Send a message via MSN to bling
I agree, SB. It is my understanding that Stan Kroenke had a few pockets full of cash when he hooked up with Sam Walton's daughter. Rich people usually marry other rich people. Although I doubt that no Walmart dollars are invested in the Avs, it is primarily Stan's business.

Old
04-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

Send a message via AIM to Osstrayan Send a message via MSN to Osstrayan
Seems willing to spend and the like.

Just a shame he picked the most despicable soccer club in the world outside of Chelsea.

COYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
04-06-2007, 03:13 AM
InstantFunk

Quote:
I don't see any guarantees of profits, easments and tax breaks in the constitution
Amen.

Old
04-06-2007, 03:16 AM
Horsehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by xalcyx View Post
Seems willing to spend and the like.

Just a shame he picked the most despicable soccer club in the world outside of Chelsea.

COYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
oh yeah, there's nothing worse than Arsenal and Chelsea

Old
04-06-2007, 02:55 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
...I don't see any guarantees of profits, easments and tax breaks in the constitution
I've got nothign. You're 100% spot on there. But I still believe that is an issue that should be taken up with local, state and national legislators...Business men are in...well business and they look out for the bottom line, it's what they are paid to do.

This probably isn't the proper place for a conversation on politics and economics but I'd love to sit down and have a conversation some day over a beverage or two with you. We might not find a way to convert each other but it would be fun, entertaining and enlightening to a certain degree. Too bad we live in different areas.

It's kinda cool that we (all of the regulars here) have many different personal and political opinions but still set them aside for the most part because we all share the AVs as a team. Sports and the following of them sure do give us a common ground on which to get to know each other better.

Old
04-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Terrier

Arsenal has been in the headlines the last couple of days, and not for the best reasons.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...180317,00.html

Old
04-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I've got nothign. You're 100% spot on there. But I still believe that is an issue that should be taken up with local, state and national legislators...Business men are in...well business and they look out for the bottom line, it's what they are paid to do.
I'd say the same for the illegal immagrent janitors there too. Pretty much everyone there is to make money and it would be no worse than palming at the register or stealing electronics.

We don't want his sort here
Quote:
Hill-Wood, whose father and grandfather were also Arsenal chiefs, raged: “Why don’t we want the American at our club?

“Call me old-fashioned but we don’t need his money and we don’t want his sort.

“Americans are buying up chunks of Premiership clubs and not because of their love of football but because they see an opportunity to make money.
I do think that's a miscaracterization. Kroenke's sports empire doesn't seem to be all that profit motivated and it might not be his passion, he did buy an MLS team (read: money pit)

Old
04-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

Send a message via AIM to Osstrayan Send a message via MSN to Osstrayan
Quote:
We don't want his sort hereI do think that's a miscaracterization. Kroenke's sports empire doesn't seem to be all that profit motivated and it might not be his passion, he did buy an MLS team (read: money pit)
The quote is spot on IMO.I hate arse, but they have a point.

Old
04-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xalcyx View Post
The quote is spot on IMO.I hate arse, but they have a point.
He's put money into winning in each of his teams and met more success than with his favorite.

Old
04-20-2007, 05:13 PM
the mandrew

walmart = the devil

thats the dirty side of the av's that i tuck under a rug and feel shame over

Old
04-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 50
I'm not going to further sully a sports thread with my opinion of how Kroenke came by his money, but as far as his ownership abilities go, he's not afraid to spend. Arsenal will benefit from his minority stake.

On a personal note, I'm not much of a Premiership fan, but have long leaned towards Arsenal when forced to choose. So this arrangement is fine by me.

Old
04-20-2007, 06:24 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Stan raises his stake up to 12% in Arsenal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...al/6577527.stm

Closed Thread