HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Proposal:Ottawa/San Jose

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2003, 05:20 AM
eazye

vCash: 500
Proposal:Ottawa/San Jose

With Mike Ricci's impending UFA, could a deal be worked out between these 2 teams? With the injury to Varada, Ottawa would be very interested in the services of a Ricci. Good in the faceoff circle, gritty and a two way player. What would San Jose want in return...Would Bonk be of interest, and if not who? Just curious.

Old
12-17-2003, 06:31 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye
With Mike Ricci's impending UFA, could a deal be worked out between these 2 teams? With the injury to Varada, Ottawa would be very interested in the services of a Ricci. Good in the faceoff circle, gritty and a two way player. What would San Jose want in return...Would Bonk be of interest, and if not who? Just curious.
I sure hope you are not insinuating a Bonk for Ricci trade.

Old
12-17-2003, 07:19 AM
eazye

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
I sure hope you are not insinuating a Bonk for Ricci trade.
Yes I am! This team needs a major change and with the surplus of centers, I think Bonk should be the one to go. Bonk is a floater and can be very inconsistent from time to time. Spezza has shown in the last couple of games that he is the number 1 center. He has displayed his offensive brillance at times and his defensive play is getting better. Do you trade Havlat...no, just in case Alfredsson leaves via UFA next year. Do you trade a defenceman...no, because of injury problems. White won't get you much and Smolinski was signed as an UFA so he shouldn't be traded. That leaves Bonk and his salary of 3.6M and Ricci makes less money right now (about 2.5M salary). Free up some money to pick up another piece of the puzzle for the playoff run. This is just my opinion but I think this team needs more veteran leadership and guys that have won before. Ricci is one of those guys. San Jose will want something back of equal value and I think Bonk is that guy. Bonk has more offensive skills but Ricci has more Heart and that is what I think the Sens need. This is again just my opinion, I'm probably under valuing Bonk but Something major needs to be done to right this ship. Less skill and fancy plays, more grit and heart!! Look at what the Leafs are doing without some of their skilled players (Mogilny and Nieuwendyk)... No way can I handle another playoff exit at the hands of the Gritty Leafs.

Old
12-17-2003, 07:27 AM
dragonwyck

vCash:
I would think the Sens could get more for Bonk than Ricci given the fact that he's going to be a UFA.

Old
12-17-2003, 07:43 AM
SensGod

Quote:
Yes I am! This team needs a major change and with the surplus of centers, I think Bonk should be the one to go. Bonk is a floater and can be very inconsistent from time to time. Spezza has shown in the last couple of games that he is the number 1 center. He has displayed his offensive brillance at times and his defensive play is getting better. Do you trade Havlat...no, just in case Alfredsson leaves via UFA next year. Do you trade a defenceman...no, because of injury problems. White won't get you much and Smolinski was signed as an UFA so he shouldn't be traded. That leaves Bonk and his salary of 3.6M and Ricci makes less money right now (about 2.5M salary). Free up some money to pick up another piece of the puzzle for the playoff run. This is just my opinion but I think this team needs more veteran leadership and guys that have won before. Ricci is one of those guys. San Jose will want something back of equal value and I think Bonk is that guy. Bonk has more offensive skills but Ricci has more Heart and that is what I think the Sens need. This is again just my opinion, I'm probably under valuing Bonk but Something major needs to be done to right this ship. Less skill and fancy plays, more grit and heart!! Look at what the Leafs are doing without some of their skilled players (Mogilny and Nieuwendyk)... No way can I handle another playoff exit at the hands of the Gritty Leafs.

Would I want Ricci? HELL'S yes...

Do I want to trade Bonk for him? HELL'S no...

I was dead set against trading Bonk for Peca...so why would I want to get Ricci for Bonk?

Bonk has been one of the top centers in the league the last couple of years (look at the stats)...we aren't going to throw him away for a 3rd line centerman (ricci or peca).

Bonk is not in his optimum role in the Sens organization right now, and hasn't been since Yashin left. Bonk is the quintessential #2 centerman. He's awesome at defence and can pot you 70 points. Once Spezza is ready to be a bonefide #1 centerman it'll take alot of the offensive pressure off of Bonk and he can do what his skill set is best suited for.

If the Sens are looking to make a legitimate run at the cup in the next few years...I've said it once...I'll say it again. Moving Bonk would be the biggest mistake they could possibly make.

Going into the stanley cup finals with this down the middle would more or less guarantee us a cup.

Spezza
Bonk
Fisher

(healthy of course )

Old
12-17-2003, 04:59 PM
slyc

Ricci is welcome in Ottawa but only for a reasonable price. A player like White, Schaeffer, Schastlivy, Vermette or Varada.

Old
12-17-2003, 05:02 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyc
Ricci is welcome in Ottawa but only for a reasonable price. A player like White, Schaeffer, Schastlivy, Vermette or Varada.
White and Schastlivy for Ricci and a 4th rounder would be a good deal for both teams IMO.

Old
12-17-2003, 05:04 PM
Spezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
White and Schastlivy for Ricci and a 4th rounder would be a good deal for both teams IMO.
i would jump at that. But I'm not sure if Sharks fans would agree that its fair value

Old
12-17-2003, 05:36 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
Quote:

Going into the stanley cup finals with this down the middle would more or less guarantee us a cup.

Spezza
Bonk
Fisher

(healthy of course )

ill take
Sakic
forsberg
nikolishin

Old
12-17-2003, 05:45 PM
SensGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
ill take
Sakic
forsberg
nikolishin
and within the next few years when Spezza and Fisher are in their mid 20's you'll have

retired
retired
retired

Old
12-17-2003, 05:56 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
Quote:
and within the next few years when Spezza and Fisher are in their mid 20's you'll have

retired
retired
retired

ye but you said the stanley cup finals. this years right?

Old
12-17-2003, 06:38 PM
officeglen

Quote:
With Mike Ricci's impending UFA, could a deal be worked out between these 2 teams?
Yes, but not at this time. The Sharks are in a playoff spot right now and competitive with any team, so a wise GM waits until the trade deadline to get maximum value.

Old
12-17-2003, 06:46 PM
SensGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
ye but you said the stanley cup finals. this years right?
I believe I said, "Going into the stanley cup finals with this down the middle would more or less guarantee us a cup."

No year specified

I personally am not expecting the Sens to win it this year with the type of play I've seen so far. Sure, they are only 6 points behind where they were at this point last year...but the play this year has been..."lacking" shall we say.

I'm looking towards the future myself.

Old
12-17-2003, 06:48 PM
SensGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillson2Berge2Weinie
If you think Peca is a third line center you need a dose of reality...
Mike Peca's skills and and strengths are best suited to playing a more conventional 3rd line role than a 2nd line role.

That is what I mean by it.

Closed Thread