HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No big FA it looks like

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-06-2007, 12:41 PM
  #1
coolbean04
Registered User
 
coolbean04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,735
vCash: 500
No big FA it looks like

Looks like we're not going to be getting a big FA center this offseason. No Datsyuk, Briere, or Drury. It was just reported that Datsyuk just signed a 7 year extension worth about 6-7M a year. So I'm guessing all the other centers are going to get that much. I Like Briere and Drury a lot but NOT for 6-7M a year. I feel only a center like LeCavalier is worth that much.

Now I know some of you might say lets get Briere since he has 95 points this year. Well, Briere has never had a season with more than 65 points before this year. So this was probably just cause of the contract year. He's also 5'9'' which I don't want in a center. He's 29 years old and he'll be looking for something like a 5-6 year extension. I wouldn't want to pay him 6+M a year when he's in his mid 30's.

The same goes for Drury, he's 30 and never had more than 68 points in a season. Not worth 6+M a year.

For those of you that were ripping the Rangers apart for wanting to keep Nylander, he's looking like a great option at around 3M a year now isn't he?

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 12:45 PM
  #2
lotus
Registered User
 
lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,091
vCash: 500
With the cap going up, that might actually be rather affordable. Though it still seems like a ton.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 12:46 PM
  #3
bogans
Registered User
 
bogans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
Not that Nylander is not a a great option at $3 million a year, he is and I have always said that, but I do disagree with the Briere part. He has a ton of heart and plays much bigger than he is. Everybody knew going into this year that he was in store for this kind of year and he should keep it up. I would gladly pay him that much money.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 12:47 PM
  #4
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Plato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
Country: Greece
Posts: 9,174
vCash: 50
you still have gomez dont you?


Last edited by Plato: 04-06-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 12:52 PM
  #5
free0717
Registered User
 
free0717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 2,111
vCash: 500
Lets Develop our own.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 12:53 PM
  #6
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Plato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
Country: Greece
Posts: 9,174
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Lets Develop our own.
DUBI!

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 12:55 PM
  #7
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector
 
Staggarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Country: United States
Posts: 1,158
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Lets Develop our own.


Quoted for Truth.

Dont think we have a first line center in our system... BUT I do NOT want to sign one at this point... Trade maybe down the line in the next year or two, but not now...

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 01:06 PM
  #8
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,099
vCash: 500
Awards:
I'll take a center to replace Bettsky, a maybe an upper-tier D-man (though I like our prospects in Staal and Baranka). Resign Pock, whatever it takes- I love his game.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 01:12 PM
  #9
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,026
vCash: 500
well, youll have bozo coming off the books, and weve got a few mil under as it stands.

i could definitely see the rangers going after Souray though.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 01:28 PM
  #10
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
well, youll have bozo coming off the books, and weve got a few mil under as it stands.

i could definitely see the rangers going after Souray though.

And that would be a very nice addition. The guy has a monster shot and would really help address one of our areas of need. We can go after a monster 1st line center in '08.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 01:31 PM
  #11
Geogaddi
Registered User
 
Geogaddi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'll take a center to replace Bettsky, a maybe an upper-tier D-man (though I like our prospects in Staal and Baranka). Resign Pock, whatever it takes- I love his game.
Betts Singed a 2-year extension earlier in the season. So i doubt he'll be leaving, or being replaced.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 01:41 PM
  #12
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,851
vCash: 500
Sheldon Souray?I wish this forum had a vomit smilie.Don't be fooled by his offensive numbers.He will be this summer's Bryan McCabe.Some team will foolishly overpay for Souray and then they will be regretting the contract a few months later just like Leafs are right now-$5.75 million plus a NMC for another 4 years

Besides, Souray wants to play on the west coast.His daughter lives in California with his ex and he wants to be closer to the girl

Regarding Pavel Datsyuk,the Rangers are negotiating with Michael Nylander's agent Paul Theofanous about a reported two year extension.That right there tells you the Rangers do not plan to get into the free agency center market.Nylander has to to decline his player option in order to sign a new contract.If he declines the option during the season,the Rangers cap hit would be greater this season.In the Nylander cap number,the option is counted which lowers the cap hit

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 02:01 PM
  #13
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,099
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Betts Singed a 2-year extension earlier in the season. So i doubt he'll be leaving, or being replaced.
Thanks, I totally forgot about that. Didn't like it then, don't like it now .

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sheldon Souray?I wish this forum had a vomit smilie.Don't be fooled by his offensive numbers.He will be this summer's Bryan McCabe.Some team will foolishly overpay for Souray and then they will be regretting the contract a few months later just like Leafs are right now-$5.75 million plus a NMC for another 4 years

Besides, Souray wants to play on the west coast.His daughter lives in California with his ex and he wants to be closer to the girl

Regarding Pavel Datsyuk,the Rangers are negotiating with Michael Nylander's agent Paul Theofanous about a reported two year extension.That right there tells you the Rangers do not plan to get into the free agency center market.Nylander has to to decline his player option in order to sign a new contract.If he declines the option during the season,the Rangers cap hit would be greater this season.In the Nylander cap number,the option is counted which lowers the cap hit
Thanks for the info, RB.

As much as I'd love a Datsyuk, I don't think we really need an elite first line center if we bring Nylander back for a reasonable price and can continue to roll 3 scoring lines and a tough-as-nails fourth. We've been wearing teams down since we acquired Avery. Keep the cap space and sign our own guys when we need to, and add small pieces if need be.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 02:07 PM
  #14
Onion Boy
Registered User
 
Onion Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: Japan
Posts: 2,676
vCash: 500
We still need a 2nd line center. Straka doesn't cut it for me and Dubinsky won't be ready for the 2nd line.

I still think Drury would be a good option. I also think Tampa Bay might be willing to trade Richards in the offseason (not sure of the cost though).

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 02:13 PM
  #15
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Thanks, I totally forgot about that. Didn't like it then, don't like it now .



Thanks for the info, RB.

As much as I'd love a Datsyuk, I don't think we really need an elite first line center if we bring Nylander back for a reasonable price and can continue to roll 3 scoring lines and a tough-as-nails fourth. We've been wearing teams down since we acquired Avery. Keep the cap space and sign our own guys when we need to, and add small pieces if need be.
Datsyuk got $46.9 million over 7 years.$6.7 million cap #

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 03:59 PM
  #16
MasonRanger
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Beacon, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MasonRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
well, youll have bozo coming off the books, and weve got a few mil under as it stands.

i could definitely see the rangers going after Souray though.
I would love to see that. As it is the Rangers already have some very good D prospects, so either way I hope that Malik is not on the team next year. We certainly shouldn't need him but I hope Renney feels the same way.

I think we should re-sign Nylander as he has had 2 very good seasons here and he and Jagr seem to play very well together. I wouldn't mind going after Briere though.

MasonRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 04:05 PM
  #17
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
I think the Rangers are going to make a trade this offseason for a big name center...Of course I have no idea who or what they are giving up but that to me is the way to go...

With so many young assets and little room for them trading 3 young players for a first line center isn't a bad option...

The start of next season is the 4th year after the rebuild started....With the previous two ending with playoff spots...

I know on this board trading youth is a no-no but in the right deal for the right player its a better option then a free agent...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 04:20 PM
  #18
LeetchIsGod2
 
LeetchIsGod2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LI,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 166
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LeetchIsGod2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'll take a center to replace Bettsky, a maybe an upper-tier D-man (though I like our prospects in Staal and Baranka). Resign Pock, whatever it takes- I love his game.
why do u wanna get rid of betts he is a great penalty killer and prolly our best face off man and he is the perfect 4th line center i like betts and im glad they signed hm to that extension at 650k a year its a good deal

LeetchIsGod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 04:25 PM
  #19
bar down*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saratoga Springs
Country: United States
Posts: 387
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bar down*
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
And that would be a very nice addition. The guy has a monster shot and would really help address one of our areas of need. We can go after a monster 1st line center in '08.
he would hate avery

bar down* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 04:52 PM
  #20
coolbean04
Registered User
 
coolbean04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,735
vCash: 500
I seriously think we need to go after Horton!!!!!!

Straka-Nylander-Jagr - 19 min avg. ice time
Shanny-Avery-Callahan 18 min. avg. ice time
Prucha-Horton-Hossa 15 min. avg. ice time
Hollweg-Betts-Orr - 8 min. avg. ice time

I know I have Callahan higher then Prucha but Callahan seems to work so well with Shanny and Avery. Cullen is the odd man out and I guess traded or put in a package to get Horton with Montoya and others.

I really want to keep Straka on the first line (thought about Hossa) but I think we need a veteran line. The 2nd line is the energy line, the 3rd line is the young line which I think they can play really well together. Finally, the fourth line is the energy/physical line.

I think the ice time breakdown is really fair. Jagr plays 21 MPG right now but I think he needs to cut down 2 minutes since his age is getting higher. Shanny is also taking almost a 2 min. cut himself but he too is getting older (want these guys fresh for the playoffs). Everyone else, is pretty much in line or getting MORE ice time.

I think all the lines looks REALLY REALLY SOLID!!! Only ? is if Avery can handle center all year long. That's why I would like to somehow keep Cullen but there's no where for him to play.

I guess an alternative for Avery not playing center (if he can't) then put Straka second line, Hossa 1st line and Callahan 3rd line.

So it would be

Hossa-Nylander-Jagr
Shanny-Straka-Avery
Prucha-Horton-Callahan.

What do you guys think???

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 05:32 PM
  #21
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector
 
Staggarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Country: United States
Posts: 1,158
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
"Read My Lips:

NO FREE AGENTS."


Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 06:00 PM
  #22
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
I seriously think we need to go after Horton!!!!!!

Straka-Nylander-Jagr - 19 min avg. ice time
Shanny-Avery-Callahan 18 min. avg. ice time
Prucha-Horton-Hossa 15 min. avg. ice time
Hollweg-Betts-Orr - 8 min. avg. ice time

I know I have Callahan higher then Prucha but Callahan seems to work so well with Shanny and Avery. Cullen is the odd man out and I guess traded or put in a package to get Horton with Montoya and others.

I really want to keep Straka on the first line (thought about Hossa) but I think we need a veteran line. The 2nd line is the energy line, the 3rd line is the young line which I think they can play really well together. Finally, the fourth line is the energy/physical line.

I think the ice time breakdown is really fair. Jagr plays 21 MPG right now but I think he needs to cut down 2 minutes since his age is getting higher. Shanny is also taking almost a 2 min. cut himself but he too is getting older (want these guys fresh for the playoffs). Everyone else, is pretty much in line or getting MORE ice time.

I think all the lines looks REALLY REALLY SOLID!!! Only ? is if Avery can handle center all year long. That's why I would like to somehow keep Cullen but there's no where for him to play.

I guess an alternative for Avery not playing center (if he can't) then put Straka second line, Hossa 1st line and Callahan 3rd line.

So it would be

Hossa-Nylander-Jagr
Shanny-Straka-Avery
Prucha-Horton-Callahan.

What do you guys think???
I'd like to see another kid from Hartford make the lineup. Yes, you have Callahan in there, but what about Dawes, Dubinsky, Korpikowski, or someone else from the Pack making the next step? At some point I think we're going to have too much talent to keep all of Hollweg, Orr, and Ortmeyer around.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 06:59 PM
  #23
coolbean04
Registered User
 
coolbean04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,735
vCash: 500
You have Prucha, Hossa, Horton, and Callahan already in the lineup who are still very young. When do you ever see 4 young kids in the top 3 lines? To get Horton, it might take a deal of something like Montoya, Cullen, and Dawes which I'd do.

You talk about Hollweg taking up a spot for a talented player. Well Hollweg brings something that we need and that's toughness/body checker type guy. PLUS, the 4th line will get about 8-9 minutes a game, you don't give that to a prospect. Not much ice time and it might hurt there growth.

If anything, if Dubinsky shows he should stick with the team. Maybe we should do something like

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Shanny-Horton-Avery
Prucha-Dubinsky-Callahan
Hollweg-Betts-Orr.

What do we do with Hossa then? I'd like Hossa in Straka's spot since Hossa played well on the first line. Only problem is we signed Straka to an extension and it would be messed up to trade him.

That's why Dubinsky should stay down just 1 more year. He's 21 right now and turns 22 at the end of the month so he's still very young.

Next year, maybe Shanny retires OR Horton shows he can handle 1st line center and we sign another center (replace Nylander) OR we trade Straka. Either way after a year, we'll have a lot of options to where we can bring up Dubinsky.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 07:17 PM
  #24
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I think the Rangers are going to make a trade this offseason for a big name center...Of course I have no idea who or what they are giving up but that to me is the way to go...

With so many young assets and little room for them trading 3 young players for a first line center isn't a bad option...

The start of next season is the 4th year after the rebuild started....With the previous two ending with playoff spots...

I know on this board trading youth is a no-no but in the right deal for the right player its a better option then a free agent...
What I see is a positioning by Sather. We've gathered some interetsing chips, not a Staal, Sauer, Dubi, etc, but a Montoya, a #1 and a couple of B level prospects for a top end center and no not a 10 goal scorer fo 6M!

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 08:21 PM
  #25
DarthSather99
Registered User
 
DarthSather99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,260
vCash: 500
We'll either develope one or trade for one. Free agents are over rated.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.