HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT:Datsyuk inks Seven year extension

Old
04-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Coolix

vCash: 500
OT:Datsyuk inks Seven year extension

Argh. The one i wanted is staying in Detroit

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=203000&hubname=

Coolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Jester

well... i didn't really want him, or think we had a shot at him... so no loss. what is interesting, however, is that he apparently is getting 6-7M, which sets the price in a big way for this coming offseason.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 12:20 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
well... i didn't really want him, or think we had a shot at him... so no loss. what is interesting, however, is that he apparently is getting 6-7M, which sets the price in a big way for this coming offseason.
if hes really getting 6-7 million per then that is a severe overpayment.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Zetterberg is gonna be pissed.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeIsGoneDotCom View Post
if hes really getting 6-7 million per then that is a severe overpayment.
i would argue that the concept of overpayment is immaterial... if they're willing to give it, then the other folks (Briere, Gomez, and Drury) are going to ask into that neighborhood at the very least, and someone is probably going to give it.

6M was always going to be the number for those guys, anyway. so, i don't really think it's close to overpayment... just as Gagne's number fit perfectly with what everyone expected. productive UFAs get paid very very well. that's the reality.

Old
04-06-2007, 12:29 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
datsyuk hasnt had a playoff goal since 01-02.....

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Viller

I hope people around here realise that if we want Briere or Gomez, its gonna take the same kind of deal.

I wouldn't say i'm exactly comfortable signing either of these guys for 7years... Although it would guarantee that my next jersey will last me for a long long while

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 12:47 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
I hope people around here realise that if we want Briere or Gomez, its gonna take the same kind of deal.

I wouldn't say i'm exactly comfortable signing either of these guys for 7years... Although it would guarantee that my next jersey will last me for a long long while
I'd be more comfortable giving Gomez a 7 year contract than I would Briere. Gomez would be 34 when the contract expires, Briere would be 37. Giving a 27 year old a 7 year contract makes more sense than giving a 30 year a 7 year contract.

With that being said, I've got a funny feeling that the Flyers will pull off a deal for a top line centerman instead of signing a UFA. When you really think of it, there aren't too many number one centers available in free agency this year and with Datsyuk off the market, you can bet that the money that will be thrown at guys like Briere, Drury, Gomez, etc.....will be similar as to what was thrown at defense men last year in free agency. I just think that the first overall choice is going to give us A LOT of options that are going to be explored and it won't surprise me if they shop the pick real hard for a top line center.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
Zetterberg is gonna be pissed.
Err, why? He's gonna get paid as soon as they can re-negotiate.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 12:52 PM
BringBackStevens

I usually don't say this, as i agree with jester about the "overpayment" thing being insignificant, but wow, thats WAY more than i thought datsyuk would get. Especially without even testing the UFA market, which should have drove his price UP.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
you're not allowed to re-negotiate a contract. Zetterberg is locked into that deal until it expires. you're not even allowed to TALK about a new contract until the last year of the current deal.

Cheechoo has an equally low deal given his skills...

Old
04-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'd be more comfortable giving Gomez a 7 year contract than I would Briere. Gomez would be 34 when the contract expires, Briere would be 37. Giving a 27 year old a 7 year contract makes more sense than giving a 30 year a 7 year contract.

With that being said, I've got a funny feeling that the Flyers will pull off a deal for a top line centerman instead of signing a UFA. When you really think of it, there aren't too many number one centers available in free agency this year and with Datsyuk off the market, you can bet that the money that will be thrown at guys like Briere, Drury, Gomez, etc.....will be similar as to what was thrown at defense men last year in free agency. I just think that the first overall choice is going to give us A LOT of options that are going to be explored and it won't surprise me if they shop the pick real hard for a top line center.
the only guy that might be available via trade sounds like Vinny... i wouldn't necessarily have qualms about trading for him... but that falls under the "you have to sign him" category of trades even moreso than Biron, because it would require our top pick i'd assume... i doubt they'd take the 25th or whatever plus... though, i have zero confidence in Feaster's ability to make a good trade... so who knows.

Old
04-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Because he sacrificed UFA status for two years by signing his four year extension which, in comparison with Datsyuk's contract, looks like crap. Consider this: In the same time span, Zetterberg will have made $7.8 million compared to Datsyuk's ~$14 million even though he is clearly the future of the franchise once Lidstrom leaves.

//I don't think Zeterberg will take it personally, but he'll have the same reaction as everyone else when he turns on TSN tonight.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 01:26 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Trading for a C makes no sense IMO, they are just too expensive. It's essential that we sign that C and a top pairing d-man, we have the room and we need to get it done. I also wouldn't mind the winger, but the C and the d-man are essential.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Could see us dealing for Brad Richards, his contract is suddenly looking more affordable.

I don't think Lecavalier is going anywhere.

Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Trading for a C makes no sense IMO, they are just too expensive. It's essential that we sign that C and a top pairing d-man, we have the room and we need to get it done. I also wouldn't mind the winger, but the C and the d-man are essential.
See LOTN's post I quoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion of the North View Post
Could see us dealing for Brad Richards, his contract is suddenly looking more affordable.

I don't think Lecavalier is going anywhere.
Exactly what I was going to say. This deal ****s over the Flyers completely and it certainly makes Richards deal look more affordable.

The question simply becomes:

Richards at $7.8 for 4 years or Briere at $7+ for 4-5 years?

My answer is Richards.

The only other option is: welcome to the first line Jeff Carter.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
See LOTN's post I quoted.

Exactly what I was going to say. This deal ****s over the Flyers completely and it certainly makes Richards deal look more affordable.

The question simply becomes:

Richards at $7.8 for 4 years or Briere at $7+ for 4-5 years?

My answer is Richards.

The only other option is: welcome to the first line Jeff Carter.
Nashville's first + a 3rd round pick + R.J. Umberger + Oskars Bartulis... get 'er done.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
too expensive in assets?

if i could get Brad or Vinny for the 1st and not too much more, i'd take that and be happy. they're both young enough that you're gaining a player who will be playing the next 10 years... and you've solved the no. 1 center.

we'll see what happens.

Old
04-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen7ty5 View Post
Nashville's first + a 3rd round pick + R.J. Umberger + Oskars Bartulis... get 'er done.
That would probably be the biggest steal of Holmgren's career. Given TB's cap situation it might be possible, you never know.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Birko19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
Because he sacrificed UFA status for two years by signing his four year extension which, in comparison with Datsyuk's contract, looks like crap. Consider this: In the same time span, Zetterberg will have made $7.8 million compared to Datsyuk's ~$14 million even though he is clearly the future of the franchise once Lidstrom leaves.

//I don't think Zeterberg will take it personally, but he'll have the same reaction as everyone else when he turns on TSN tonight.
Zetterberg won't be pissed, in fact Z will be happy because his game is huge when playing with Datsyuk, this very move was to keep the dynamic two in Detroit, and I believe when the 2 years fly by fast Z will get a similar deal.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
That would probably be the biggest steal of Holmgren's career. Given TB's cap situation it might be possible, you never know.
We're dealing with Feaster here, remember.

I was just repressing the upsetting reality that getting Brad Richards would probably cost us a top prospect (Giroux, for example), in addition to picks and a roster player.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 02:20 PM
McNasty

While this deal looks bad, it also means that there will be UFAs available, i mean lets say Datsyuk settled for 5mil/year that sets the bar low enough that Buffalo has a shot to resign Briere and Drury.

As for Richards i would like to see them get him, but only if the deal is a steal.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Viller

Id rather trade for Vinny (whatever hes gonna cost to extend and trade for) than sign Drury, Briere or Gomez thats for sure. Those 3 dont even come close to Vinny in my mind.

Trading for Richards though? I'm not sure about that since we could get those 3 for cheaper (money wise) and would get more production out of them...

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 02:46 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
well richards' game while not as explosive offensivly as briere, is still great all around , he plays point on the PP plays pk and is good on faceoffs and such. good playmaker for gagne

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen7ty5 View Post
We're dealing with Feaster here, remember.

I was just repressing the upsetting reality that getting Brad Richards would probably cost us a top prospect (Giroux, for example), in addition to picks and a roster player.
if we could get Richards without giving up our 1st overall pick... i would GLADLY give up any of the prospects who haven't put on an orange-and-black sweater. wouldn't think twice about it... as you'd get Richards and also add a prospect who is going to have a higher upside than anyone in our system currently most likely.

prospects are great and all, but don't covet them at the expense of missing out on good deals.