HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Breakaways/Shootouts

Old
04-07-2007, 12:09 AM
Redden Hogalot*

vCash: 500
Breakaways/Shootouts

Here are some ideas for breakaways or shootouts, some of them seem pretty creative!

Breakaways/Shootout Moves

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Danrik
It is what it is.

vCash: 50
cool...gotta have some balls to try some of those moves though...

Danrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 11:56 AM
leafsrok

most of those are just ridiculous! not many people would ever have the guts to do that in a game. im pretty sure that goalie was told not to stop any of those.
ps
that glove throwing move, was one of the most pityful things i've ever seen

leafsrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 11:58 AM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsrok View Post
most of those are just ridiculous! not many people would ever have the guts to do that in a game. im pretty sure that goalie was told not to stop any of those.
ps
that glove throwing move, was one of the most pityful things i've ever seen
yeah that glove throwing thing was horrible...but I got a good laugh out of it.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 01:28 PM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsrok View Post
im pretty sure that goalie was told not to stop any of those.
Yeah, he didn't even look like he waws trying on a few of those. Any number of those deeks 1/2 foot in front of the goalie would have prometed an immediate stick check on the goalies part.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 02:25 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

pretty cool

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 02:34 PM
colton23

That goalie either really sucks or was paid to let them go in

colton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 02:28 AM
donelikedinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton23 View Post
That goalie either really sucks or was paid to let them go in
agreed. a competitive goalie would have stopped all of those ridiculously lame moves. the best way to be an effective scorer on penalty shots is moving in with speed and a lively stick. coasting in and holding the puck favors the goalie.

donelikedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 07:43 AM
flyersfan1221

Looks like an add for a stick handling school. My kid goes to Turcotte and they have the same kind of add on their web site.

flyersfan1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 11:42 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
that goalies sucks.....

meh, i dont really try anything fancy, 90% of the time i shoot 5-hole, and 90% of the time i score

so if it aint broke, dont fix it

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 12:06 PM
McNasty

I have basically 3 or 4 breakaway moves and they really only depend on which angle im coming in. The big thing is to make a fake and keep your head up, a lot of the time a quick wrist shot low will burn a goalie, personally i prefer the Datsyuk where you fake the shot and drag it with the backhand.

As for that video that was more one sided then Brett Hull taking a one timer on that 8 year old a few months ago.......

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

Goalie has 1950s size pads on. Never drops down, always standing up which defeat a lot of those.

Great music though.

Evil Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

instead of being mesmerized by all those fancy moves, goalie could have kept it simple and stopped them all with a simple poke-check.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 03:34 PM
technophile

Send a message via MSN to technophile
Skinner hockey's been posted before; it's pure gimmick. The goalie isn't even trying on any of those shots, and you'd never have a chance to pull them off in a game situation. (In a shootout/penalty shot, maybe, but even then the goalie's going to have to be pretty bad not to stop you.)

It's essentially just an ad for Skinner's stickhandling school/DVDs; it looks flashy, especially to beginners, but if the classes/DVDs are anything like the videos on the website, I gotta think you'd be better off paying for power skating lessons or something you might actually use.

technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Wachovia Center

Send a message via ICQ to Wachovia Center Send a message via Yahoo to Wachovia Center
That was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. There's like 5 or 6 moves that work 90% of the time... I'd just stick to those.

Wachovia Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 03:54 PM
MacBeatsPang

I agree about the skinner video -- it's more an ad for the stickhandling skills he can teach you than a way to score in shootouts. Effective skating is more important but once you're a proficient skater it's the stickhandling that takes you to the next level. I find I'm mostly happy with my skating but wish I could handle the puck better, especially when I'm going fast.

As for shootouts, my favorite move is real simple. I'm a right-handed shot and I take the puck over to the left side, deke like I'm going to sweep wide with the forehand to the glove side but then cut it short and stuff it in underneath the blocker with the forehand. Against a really good goalie it usually doesn't work, but in my rec league I've had decent success with it. The idea is to get the keeper to commit to the big lateral movement to the glove side, then put it where he was, not where he's going.

MacBeatsPang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 07:55 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
The goalie didn't look that great...but he seemed to be a standup sorta goalie so the stickhandling didn't help him. Seemed to have some trouble moving laterally.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Redden Hogalot*

I know the goalie sucks ****, but they're just ideas. If any of you have the guts to try them. Lol

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Sportacus
:)

vCash: 50
Back when I had speed, I was great on Breakaways, but I don't know now. Used to just skate real hard, fake snapshot, go backhand

As for the video, that's gotta be Dan Cloutier & Esche's illegitimate child or something ...

04-12-2007, 10:56 PM
Wachovia Center

Send a message via ICQ to Wachovia Center Send a message via Yahoo to Wachovia Center
It's not all about speed, it's about angles too. If you come in at the right angle, it's easy to get a goalie down and moving side to side, which usually opens up 5-hole/the whole top of the net.

Wachovia Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 09:42 AM
technophile

Send a message via MSN to technophile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wachovia Center View Post
It's not all about speed, it's about angles too. If you come in at the right angle, it's easy to get a goalie down and moving side to side, which usually opens up 5-hole/the whole top of the net.
Most goalies, especially in rec leagues, are weakest moving side to side; if you can get them to move that way, you have a huge advantage.

On breakaways you often don't have the luxury of sweeping wide to get a good angle, though; you just have to go straight in, or the D will catch you and force you outside.

The most effective move IME is to prevent the goalie from predicting what you'll do. Watch someone like Pavel Datsyuk on a breakaway (not a penalty shot/shootout); he doesn't make any fancy moves at all, he keeps the puck moving, so the goalie has to track it, but he also always has the puck in a shooting position, so the goalie can't ever tell if he's going to shoot or deke.

technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 05:31 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBeatsPang View Post
I agree about the skinner video -- it's more an ad for the stickhandling skills he can teach you than a way to score in shootouts. Effective skating is more important but once you're a proficient skater it's the stickhandling that takes you to the next level. I find I'm mostly happy with my skating but wish I could handle the puck better, especially when I'm going fast.

As for shootouts, my favorite move is real simple. I'm a right-handed shot and I take the puck over to the left side, deke like I'm going to sweep wide with the forehand to the glove side but then cut it short and stuff it in underneath the blocker with the forehand. Against a really good goalie it usually doesn't work, but in my rec league I've had decent success with it. The idea is to get the keeper to commit to the big lateral movement to the glove side, then put it where he was, not where he's going.
Practice on foot, first start by standing still with your head up going back and forth as fast as you can. Then start pulling it back and forth on angles. One thing i always do is push the puck from the heel straight, catch it on the toe and snap it right back. Once you start getting the hang of it practice doing them while moving. A lot of the fancier moves you aren't moving at full speed, but once you make the move you gotta be able to kick it into gear.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 05:47 PM
MikeD

gotta love it....the comments I see above are why I paid Stefan Popa to teach my youngest son his Breakaway technique. Lord knows he wouldnt listen to me so.... A shooter has no clue what to do when he faces a goalie who will NOT make the first move, waits for you in control rather than being dicatated to by the the shooter.

The worst part about that video...the goalie is wearing the same Heatons I have. Who ever it is...either was paid to fail or just plain SUCKS.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 05:23 PM
CamDegs13
Nose Face Killah

The two moves that I would use judging by that video are the second and third one. I have had experience using and scoring with fourth one. That was a good video though although some of those goals were softies that the goalie shouldn't have been faked out on.

CamDegs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

On the fake-deke-5-hole one, the goalie lifts his stick to let it go through

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote