HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Future First Line Player

View Poll Results: Future First Line Player
Petr Prucha 15 15.15%
Marcel Hossa 16 16.16%
Brandon Dubinsky 4 4.04%
Nigel Dawes 1 1.01%
Ryan Callahan 13 13.13%
Lauri Korpikoski 9 9.09%
Alex Bourret 19 19.19%
Hugh Jessiman 2 2.02%
Artem Anisimov 18 18.18%
Tom Pyatt 0 0%
Brodie Dupont 2 2.02%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-07-2007, 02:00 AM
slim399

vCash: 500
Future First Line Player

I am really impressed by the depth of our current prospect pool. I think one thing we all agree upon is that... almost all of our current prospects and young players will turn out to be very solid 2nd and 3rd line players.

Here is a list of players currently 25 years or younger who have no yet hit their prime.

My question is... If you had to predict one of these guys turning out to be a first line player. Who would you pick?

slim399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 02:22 AM
eco's bones

I would think Anisimov. Hossa might play on Jagr's line but he's not in my mind a legit 1st liner. The upsides of Dawes, Callahan, Dubinsky, Korpikoski, Bourret are 2nd line players and some may be third liners. Prucha is not a legit 1st liner either to me. Possibility he'll get there--but he'll have to improve his entire game. Dupont strikes me as a potential Darren McCarty. Pyatt has potential possibly but to me Anisimov sounds as if he has the skillset and also the size to possibly be that kind of player although he could just as well turn into Victor Kozlov. Jessiman has to prove he can play on a top line in the AHL before even thinking of him in that role in the NHL.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 03:09 AM
Draft Guru

Prucha.

I don't know what Renney's deal is, but I'd really like to see Prooks on a line with Nylander and Jagr for an extended period of time (at least 5-10 games).

It's always been 1 period with them then he is yanked off the line.

He's a sniper, he loves to shoot, and I really think playing with those two at even strength would elevate his game.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 09:27 AM
True Blue

I do not think that anyone of those is a future top-liner. Bourret has the best chance. People like Korpikoski & Callahan are 2nd/3rd line tweeners. Dubinsky and Bourret are probable 2nd liners. It is far too early to tell anything on Anisimov. Dupont is a probable future 3rd/4th liner. Pyatt is a probable 3rd liner. Jessiman needs to show that he can play at the AHL level before we start to talk about him in the NHL. Prucha will never get the chance while Renney is here. Hossa probably will, but aside from a hot stretch here and there, has not shown that he is a top-6 forward.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 09:31 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I do not think that anyone of those is a future top-liner. Bourret has the best chance. People like Korpikoski & Callahan are 2nd/3rd line tweeners. Dubinsky and Bourret are probable 2nd liners. It is far too early to tell anything on Anisimov. Dupont is a probable future 3rd/4th liner. Pyatt is a probable 3rd liner. Jessiman needs to show that he can play at the AHL level before we start to talk about him in the NHL. Prucha will never get the chance while Renney is here. Hossa probably will, but aside from a hot stretch here and there, has not shown that he is a top-6 forward.
Agreed. Although I think Anisimov has the best chance.

04-07-2007, 09:42 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Although I think Anisimov has the best chance.
Could be you're right. I just think that he has a long way to go before we know anything. Whereas someone like Bourret has a window of probably 2 years (he is the youngest player in the AHL, after all), Anisimov, I view to be about 4 years out.

Old
04-07-2007, 09:43 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I think Korpedo has a really good chance to develop iot a Jere Lehtinen type.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 09:52 AM
JayMan82

Anisimov...

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 10:18 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I disagree. My take on this kid is he's got the talent to ride shotgun with talented players, and do the dirty work necessary to be successful. He's strong around the net, and can serve the same role that Graves did when he was here. I'm not saying he's got a 50 goal season in him. But, he's more talented than you're giving him credit for being.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 10:25 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

As for Anisimov, yes, it's early, but the signs a good. When a 19-year-old starts getting top line minutes and is productive in the RSL, considered by most to be a step above the AHL, I'm liking his chances of being able to make it in the NHL. Sure, there will be an adjustment period. But, between his solid performance in the WJCs, his uptick in production over the last part of the season, combined with his reputation for knowing where his defensive zone is, I think this kid has a chance to be very good...the prospect with the best chance to be a 1st liner, IMO.

Old
04-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Nich

korpedo followed by ani

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Nich

korpedo - ani - prucha
dawes - dubinsky - cally
jessiman - pyatt - bourett

you know i could live with this being our top 3 lines in 3-4 years or so

Old
04-07-2007, 10:49 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
But, he's more talented than you're giving him credit for being.
You are more optimistic than I am. I see the kid as a probable 3rd/4th liner with the potential to (if every star aligns) being a 2nd line power forward. However, that is not what I am holding out for. I got high on Greg Moore last year, and he took a big step back. You say you disagree, which means that you see him as a probable top-6 forward. That is something I am not prepared to say.

As for Anisimov, again, it is in the eye of the beholder. I have not seen enough yet to say that he can be a top-liner. Maybe I am being over cautious, but that is the way it is. I certainly hope that he can be what you say, but he needs time to develop.

Old
04-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Onion Boy

Hossa. He's already shown flashes of it so far.

I don't think Prucha would fair well against the other teams' top defensemen, at least not over the whole season.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 10:52 AM
alkurtz

None yet projects as a first liner.
Anisimov: way, way to early to tell
Bourret: has the physical tools, but questions about everything else
Prucha: in the right lineup and with the right system, yes, but as much as I love the guy and convinced of his ability to be a big part of the puzzle, I'm not sure whether he is.
Callahan: see him as a 2A player, who if you put him on a 3rd line would be a dominant third line player, skillwise. If the Rangers ever have enough depth to play him there, that will tell you that they are becoming a serious, elite team.
Jessiman: at this point he isn't even a first liner in the AHL. He is a major puzzle to me.
Dawes: still don't know what we have with him. this year hurt his development and set him back significantly.
All other project as third liners who can play 2nd line if needed. Dubinsky is still developing and may be a 2nd line center if he works on his offensive game (loved the way he played during his time up)
Rangers have a strong compliment of 2nd and 3rd line prospects and will have to look to free agency for first liners when the Jagr/Nylander/Strake era end.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Larry Melnyk

My resonse would b NONE...A lot of 2nd-4th liners for sure, and I love the depth, but not sure about a true 1st liner....But then, the term "1st liner" is pretty ambiguous and probably no reason to be nitpicking..

Still, gun to my head, my two picks would be Bourett and Dubinsky....The way Dubinsky has improved every year and the package of size, skill and attitude that he brings will at least make him a 2nd C, just may not have the speed.....

ANd I love the combination of speed, hitting, attitude and skill that Bourett brings...He could grow into a 1st line winger as he becomes more consistent in all area...

And i totally agree with JAS on BRODIE DUPONT...2nd liner....

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 11:18 AM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
As much is this is all about forwards, Dan Girardi will be a first or second pair D man next season. So smooth.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 11:22 AM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Prucha.

I don't know what Renney's deal is, but I'd really like to see Prooks on a line with Nylander and Jagr for an extended period of time (at least 5-10 games).

It's always been 1 period with them then he is yanked off the line.

He's a sniper, he loves to shoot, and I really think playing with those two at even strength would elevate his game.
I'd like to see Prucha given more time, certainly, but I don't think Prucha's game is suited to the Jagr-Nylander line at this point in time. That line is at its best when they've got a big, puck possession time grinder that can win battles in the corner and go straight to the net for rebounds or to screen. Prucha is too much of a perimeter player at this point to be successful with that unit.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 11:26 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
You are more optimistic than I am. I see the kid as a probable 3rd/4th liner with the potential to (if every star aligns) being a 2nd line power forward. However, that is not what I am holding out for. I got high on Greg Moore last year, and he took a big step back. You say you disagree, which means that you see him as a probable top-6 forward. That is something I am not prepared to say.

As for Anisimov, again, it is in the eye of the beholder. I have not seen enough yet to say that he can be a top-liner. Maybe I am being over cautious, but that is the way it is. I certainly hope that he can be what you say, but he needs time to develop.
I see worst case scenario for Dupont is 3rd LW. But, I also think he has the ability to do more. Besides, the 1st line/2nd line pigeonhole is misleading. It's about chemistry. It's why I prefer Prucha playing on the 3rd with Cullen, with whom he plays very well. It's why Isbister is fine on the 1st line with Nylander and Jagr, and Hossa is an even better fit. Dupont, to me, is the type of player who can ride shotgun, much like Graves did with both Mess and TGO.

Old
04-07-2007, 11:28 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post

And i totally agree with JAS on BRODIE DUPONT...2nd liner....
Well, that's because, like myself, you are a rational, clear-thinking individual, whose ideas are well-thought out.

Old
04-07-2007, 11:31 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

It is these kind of posts that get me in a twist. The players named, dubi, dawes, etc, where have they played, 1st, 2nd, 3rd line in Jrs, college or pros? The point is that they had the requiste skill to play top line throughout their respective careers. Then all of a sudden they are stiffs and qualify as 3rd or 4th liners in the nhl?
Please! Was Brian Gionta a 1st line player? Guaranty that many will answer no. Fact is the answer is yes and the reason why the answer is yes is that is what he was where ever he has played.

Far too many people are equating superstar, elite players with being 1st line players. Elite players are rare. Of the following player stats which were 1st line players?
Career averages per season G/A/Pts
A) 24/26/50
B) 23/24/64
C) 31/30/62
D) 43/62/105
E) 44/53/97
F) 36/34/70
G) 17/50/67
H) 24/29/53
I) 21/27/48
J) 24/36/60
K) 29/44/73
L) 40/56/96
M) 32/54/86
N) 19/43/62
O) 20/65/85
P) 15/35/50
Q) 32/76/108
R) 22/51/73
S) 36/34/70
T) 39/37/76
U) 36/43/79
V) 48/106/154
W) 39/30/69
X) 34/45/79
Y) 42/61/103
Z) 27/37/64

26 players. I averaged out their career stats and used the average number of games that comprised a season from their careers. So if the played 70 game seasons and 78 game seasons I averaged it out to say 74 games. I will post the names later tonight.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Nich

d
e
l
q
v
y

all elite

m
s
t
u
x

all first lines

Old
04-07-2007, 12:55 PM
eco's bones

Dupont, Russell and Pyatt are all players turning pro I think with a lot of potential. Brodie could be very important. Size, skill and physical play and he's improved from season to season. I also think he's going to be a good player and more than a 4th liner.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 01:02 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I see worst case scenario for Dupont is 3rd LW. But, I also think he has the ability to do more. Besides, the 1st line/2nd line pigeonhole is misleading. It's about chemistry. It's why I prefer Prucha playing on the 3rd with Cullen, with whom he plays very well. It's why Isbister is fine on the 1st line with Nylander and Jagr, and Hossa is an even better fit. Dupont, to me, is the type of player who can ride shotgun, much like Graves did with both Mess and TGO.
I cannot agree. It is one thing to use the term pigeonhole, it is another to make something out of players that they are not. Neither Isbister nor Hossa are a better fit with Jagr than Prucha. If they were, then how would you explain the success that both Prucha and Jagr had last year, when Renney actually gave Prucha the opportunity? If Isbistr was truly a better fit, then you would have to think that he can play the entire year on the top line, and I cannot see that. Isbister is a player with one foot on the 4th line and the other one in the AHL or out of the league. Playing one of your better scorers on the bottom-2 lines is just silly. Or so I believe. We may not agree on his placement, but that is how I see it. And Hossa has to show something for far longer stretches of time (given what the rest of his career has looked like) before I believe that he has truly turned the corner or has not.

Any way you look at it, either a player is a top-6 player or he isn't. True, there are times where you find the tweeners, those that play very well on the 3rd line and can fill in adequatelly (though not as well) on the 2nd. However, to me Prucha is not one of those. He is a legit top-6 forward.

As for Dupont, I truly HOPE that you are right. But I am not ready to put him down as a 3rd liner, as the worst-case scenario. To me, those players are Callahan & Korpikoski. Dupont, if things do not work out well at all, may not even be an AHLer. Don't get me wrong, I DO think that he is good enough, but from what I believe, I just do not (at least yet) think that the 3rd line is a safe, fallback for him.

Old
04-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Fletch

There will be..

guys in that group who may play on a top line, but they won't be confused with most top liners in the league. This team could end up being one of those teams who roll 3/4 talented lines, none of which stack up to the best lines in the league, but will work hard and play games like a Buffalo.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote