HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why so much hatred on Calgarypuck?

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2003, 10:38 AM
CupBound

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Are you here just to get a reaction? Wide-open run-and-gun FAST hockey is Oiler's hockey. By making such a huge deal out of it, you're making yourself look, well, kinda jealous I'm sorry to say. Just like the CP'ers that linked this thread to their site about two nanoseconds after this thread was made. If you want Oiler news right away, that trashy sad excuse for a hockey site is where you want to go.

And yes the Oilers do trap when we have a lead, sometimes. We'd be foolish to say the Oilers didn't.

The fact remains that when someone, it doesn't matter what team they cheer for, is asked "What team is most exciting to watch?", I guarantee you that most of them will answer "Edmonton Oilers". Even the Bruins fans here wish they played Edmonton more often because the Oiler's are so exciting, sorry you can't accept that.
The Aves and Canucks are exciting to watch. They play a wide open game and have talent to do it. The Oilers are not at that level. They have the Pisanis or Horcoffs driving to the net and crashing(almost) goalies. Hardly exciting game. Hemsky has some nices moves, but he only shows them on the PP. Your star player Smyth scores most goals from the blue ice. I am sorry, but the Oilers are far from entertaining.

And please stop with the jealousy. Check out the standings and tell me what I should be jealous of. I am nearly making an observation that the Oilers are not "all that" in the sense of entertainment. The Flames play a very aggressive style with lots of turnovers, hits etc. They have more speed than the Oilers and have an enforcer that fights all the time. They also are 6 over .500 right now so really, I think I am quite entertained thank you very much. The Flames are not a boring team to watch and this year they are a lot more fun than the lifeless Oilers.

Old
12-18-2003, 10:39 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupBound
The Oilers play the trap when they have a lead. All teams do actually and you are in danial if you don't believe that.

And what is Oilers Hockey again? Please answer or admit that you're clueless about different styles of play and are just buying in to Edmonton Media hype and think that Oilers invented scoring goals.
Yes, I think the Oilers invented scoring goals.

No team in the NHL before 1979 ever scored a goal. They used to crown Stanley Cup champions based on a complex dice system whereby you are required to fill a sheet of paper getting multiple combinations of 1-6's. Goals were an unheard of event before Wayne Gretzky scored the first NHL goal.

In fact, it was such an unexpected event, that the Montreal forum was set on fire (most think it was because Richard was suspended, but us Oiler fans know the real truth). That first goal set off a chain of events that took nearly 15 years for the NHL to control.

Enough with responding to your nonsense, I will answer your question.

Oilers hockey first and foremost is about speed. Both in puck movement and player movement. Both offensively and defensively. Offensively, attacking the zone with speed not only from the puck carrier, but from the players without the puck as well. This also involves risk from the point, as the defence is contiually used to jump into the play for a scoring chance.

Defensively is the main aspect. Instead of constantly waiting back in the neutral zone, the idea is to constantly attack the puck carrier. The idea is to try and create a turnover in order to counter attack right away.

The main difference, is that for the most part, the trap involves a lot of interference on the non-puck carriers. Watch any of the trapping teams, and you will continually see players who are attempting to gain the zone met up by a forward or defensemen who's only goal is to slow you down. Oilers hockey uses the philosophy that in order to get space, you need to give up space. Instead of interferring on the guy trying to get to the puck, get open for a pass.

Old
12-18-2003, 10:42 AM
CupBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Ok wise guy, tell me how the trap is related to forechecking.
Do you even know what the trap is , donkey?
Donkey?

Old
12-18-2003, 10:44 AM
Sammy*

Quote:
Donkey?
Yep.
Now try answering both questions,donkey.

Old
12-18-2003, 10:46 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
The Aves and Canucks are exciting to watch. They play a wide open game and have talent to do it. The Oilers are not at that level. They have the Pisanis or Horcoffs driving to the net and crashing(almost) goalies. Hardly exciting game. Hemsky has some nices moves, but he only shows them on the PP. Your star player Smyth scores most goals from the blue ice. I am sorry, but the Oilers are far from entertaining.

And please stop with the jealousy. Check out the standings and tell me what I should be jealous of. I am nearly making an observation that the Oilers are not "all that" in the sense of entertainment. The Flames play a very aggressive style with lots of turnovers, hits etc. They have more speed than the Oilers and have an enforcer that fights all the time. They also are 6 over .500 right now so really, I think I am quite entertained thank you very much. The Flames are not a boring team to watch and this year they are a lot more fun than the lifeless Oilers.
So were the Flames more exciting to watch over the past 7 years than the Oilers?

I love Flames fans, I really do. The second they are ahead of the Oilers at any point, they crawl out of their holes in an attempt to pound their chests much like the gorillas they recently evolved from.

But when the tides turn (which it inevitibly does), Flames fans crawl back into their hole, then whine and moan that Oiler fans always rub it into their face that the Oilers are once again ahead in the standings. It happened already this year... the Flames won twice against the Oilers, and Flame fans were out in full force... then the Oilers got hot and Calgary couldn't score, and they disappeared.

Please be reasonable. At least wait until the end of the season before you start. At least wait until the Flames have proven over an 82 game schedule that they are better than the Oilers.

Old
12-18-2003, 10:46 AM
Oiltalk

Now the Flames have more speed? I'm done responding to your drivel.

Old
12-18-2003, 10:51 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Blah Blah Blah BlahBlah Blah Blah BlahBlah Blah Blah BlahBlah Blah Blah BlahBlah Blah Blah BlahBlah Blah Blah BlahBlah Blah Blah BlahBlah Blah Blah BlahBlah Blah Blah BlahBlah Blah Blah BlahBlah Blah Blah BlahBlah Blah Blah BlahBlah Blah Blah BlahBlah Blah Blah Blah

Old
12-18-2003, 10:53 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
this is getting out of control and needlesly, it had hope if ppl had taken Lanny's comments with a broader view and didnt react the way they did.

i'm closing this now. if anybody opens a new thread INCLUDING CALGARY POSTERS, that has anything to do with Calgarypuck or a CGY vs EDM ***** slinging match then i'm sending Deputy Hemsky down - look at the avatar and learn !

Closed Thread