HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

06-07 Player Grades

Old
04-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I think if JOrts was playing on a fourth line, getting 5 ES minutes and 2-3 PK minutes per game that your mind would be different. Similar to maybe some opinions on Betts. In the fourth line role, I don't know if I've seen too many better centermen. He kills penalties well, he takes faceoffs well, can give you 8-10 goals playing with whomever on a fourth line, and at times can face top lines. If you play him on a second line, you'll get frustrated, but as a fourth liner, he's pretty darn good.
I don't know about that...

I actually think Betts is far and away a better player then ortmeyer..I think Ortmeyer is a borderline NHL player at this point...As i've said in other threads i would not resign him..he filled his role...he did it well but perhaps injuries and definalty younger better players have made Ortmeyer expendable...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCurse94 View Post
dude ur ridiculous. i'm comparing jagr to orts for ONE THING...jagr takes WAY more lazy penalties that hurt this team then jed. thats it. end of story. how can u debate this?
Jagr does more then make up for his penalties...

What does Ortmeyer do to make up for his penalties?

how can YOU DEBATE that?

you picked the wrong player..it's not your fault...perhaps you stared watching the team this year...in that case..welcome aboard...

Old
04-09-2007, 02:50 PM
NoCurse94

Send a message via AIM to NoCurse94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Jagr does more then make up for his penalties...

What does Ortmeyer do to make up for his penalties?

how can YOU DEBATE that?

you picked the wrong player..it's not your fault...perhaps you stared watching the team this year...in that case..welcome aboard...
1st of all...uve already admitted ortmeyer does his job...doesnt make any sense

2nd of all...what do i have to do to get this through your head...you said ortmeyer hurts this team with bad penalties...he has 11 minors this season...jagr has taken WAY MORE dumb penalties. thats it. no one is arguing jagrs value to this team. im arguing the fact that u seem to think jed is the cause of ire for taking dumb penalties. I'm also shocked to see how old you are. The fact that you're just ignoring the simplicity of what i am saying and trying to create some sort of larger scale comparison is so absurd.

NoCurse94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Osminator

vCash: 50
Martin Straka: B+ (great on the offense, goes cold for stretches)
Jaromir Jagr: A- (... what can I say...)
Michael Nylander: A- (mostly brilliant, sometimes dreadful)
Brendan Shanahan: A- (got no one to feed him, will give it all to win!)
Sean Avery: A (... what can I say...)
Petr Prucha: B- (hot-cold player, too little ice time, offensive power)
Ryan Callahan: B+ (fast, tough, nose for the net, backchecker)
Marcel Hossa: B (starting to come around, works good with JJ and Nyls)
Colton Orr: B- (developing into good 4th liner, bad skating)
Brad Isbister: B+ (strong on the boards, good with JJ and Nyls)
Blair Betts: C (good face-off and PK man, nothing special)
Ryan Hollweg: C- (big effort, big heart, reckless, hands of stone)
Matt Cullen: C (hot-cold player)
Jed Ortemeyer:C- (big effort, big heart, hands of stone)

Daniel Girardi: B (solid, couple mistakes recently)
Fedor Tyutin: A- (very solid, physical)
Paul Mara: B (big no-nonsense and physical)
Marek Malik: C (1 step forward, 3 back)
Karl Rachunek B- (good offensive, bit shaky on the defense)
Michal Roszival: B (good offense, controlling)
Thomas Pock:B (good offense, defense starting to come around)
Aaron Ward: C- (big, slow, bad positioning, locker room cancer)

Henrik Lundqvist: A (sole reason the Rangers are still playing)
Kevin Weekes: F (stole $2 million this season, useless on ice)
Steve Valiquette: incomplete (mostly solid, sometimes shaky)

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
1st of all...uve already admitted ortmeyer does his job...doesnt make any sense

2nd of all...what do i have to do to get this through your head...you said ortmeyer hurts this team with bad penalties...he has 11 minors this season...jagr has taken WAY MORE dumb penalties. thats it. no one is arguing jagrs value to this team. im arguing the fact that u seem to think jed is the cause of ire for taking dumb penalties. I'm also shocked to see how old you are. The fact that you're just ignoring the simplicity of what i am saying and trying to create some sort of larger scale comparison is so absurd.
Be shocked at how old i am..i don't care..as you may or may not know i really don't care what many posters think of me...i have a great life..this is a small aspect of it...teaching new fans about the team and hockey is fun...maybe you'll learn something..

your the guy using jagrs penalty minutes against ortmeyers minutes..not me..

Ortmeyer is not THAT great of a penalty killer..he is good at it but for everything else he doesn't bring COMBINED with the FACT this team has better players in the system to ME mean bye bye Jed...thanks for the memories..thanks for the blocked shots..thanks for the 9 goals...

what's next comparing Hollweg to Avery

Shanny to Hossa?

hey lets try Nylander and Betts...that one should be fun...

Old
04-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Fletch

SoS...

I too had stated often in the past about JOrts being a borderline NHLer. I was just posing a question of if he he was played in a role that best-suited him, would your opinion have changed.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I too had stated often in the past about JOrts being a borderline NHLer. I was just posing a question of if he he was played in a role that best-suited him, would your opinion have changed.
not really Fletch..Maybe in the past when the systme wasn't so stocked with future 3rd and 4th line players but not now...

I think Ortmeyer in a year or two is going to be a great captain of an AHL team..the guy made a career for himself...has played hard...nobody is questioning that but it would be shortsighted to resign him...

Old
04-09-2007, 03:05 PM
NoCurse94

Quote:
Be shocked at how old i am..i don't care..as you may or may not know i really don't care what many posters think of me...i have a great life..this is a small aspect of it...teaching new fans about the team and hockey is fun...maybe you'll learn something..

your the guy using jagrs penalty minutes against ortmeyers minutes..not me..

Ortmeyer is not THAT great of a penalty killer..he is good at it but for everything else he doesn't bring COMBINED with the FACT this team has better players in the system to ME mean bye bye Jed...thanks for the memories..thanks for the blocked shots..thanks for the 9 goals...

what's next comparing Hollweg to Avery

Shanny to Hossa?

hey lets try Nylander and Betts...that one should be fun...

this is my last post to you because you're obviously just looking to argue about nothing. jagr> ortmeyer.....# of jagr's bad penalties> # of ortmeyer bad penalties...ortmeyer is a ROLE player...he performs his ROLE very well. Apparently you would prefer Harry York, Shane Churla or Dallas Eakins to perform Jed's role. That's fine. Valeri Kamensky just called. He wants you to renegotiate his roller hockey contract for him.

Old
04-09-2007, 03:10 PM
TomLaidlaw

Matt Cullen-B
Blair Betts-B
Petr Prucha-B
Ryan Hollweg-C+
Martin Straka-B+
Michael Nylander-A
Brendan Shanahan-B+
Brad Isbister-C
Sean Avery-A
Colton Orr-C+
Jed Ortemeyer-C+
Ryan Callahan-B+
Jaromir Jagr-B+
Marcel Hossa-B+
Michal Roszival-B+
Marek Malik-C
Thomas Pock-B-
Paul Mara-B
Jason Strudwick-C
Daniel Girardi-B+
Fedor Tyutin-B+
Sandis Ozolinsh-F
Henrik Lundqvist-A
Kevin Weekes-D
Darius Kasparitus-F

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 03:18 PM
NoCurse94

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Matt Cullen-B
Blair Betts-B
Petr Prucha-B
Ryan Hollweg-C+
Martin Straka-B+
Michael Nylander-A
Brendan Shanahan-B+
Brad Isbister-C
Sean Avery-A
Colton Orr-C+
Jed Ortemeyer-C+
Ryan Callahan-B+
Jaromir Jagr-B+
Marcel Hossa-B+
Michal Roszival-B+
Marek Malik-C
Thomas Pock-B-
Paul Mara-B
Jason Strudwick-C
Daniel Girardi-B+
Fedor Tyutin-B+
Sandis Ozolinsh-F
Henrik Lundqvist-A
Kevin Weekes-D
Darius Kasparitus-F
i demand u give kapar and ozo a d-

Old
04-09-2007, 03:22 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
not really Fletch..Maybe in the past when the systme wasn't so stocked with future 3rd and 4th line players but not now...

I think Ortmeyer in a year or two is going to be a great captain of an AHL team..the guy made a career for himself...has played hard...nobody is questioning that but it would be shortsighted to resign him...
While Ort's isn't going to be the reason we win or lose, there are a few other players on this team that I would part with alot faster than Jed.

Hollweg, Hossa to name 2, Isbister is a 3rd player.

The guys we have that you are referring to are whom? Dubinsky? Bourret? Dawes? Korpi? Immonen? (he's not NHL material)

All those guys have roles as 2nd-3rd line players and I don't see anything in Hartford right now that will bump Jed from his role as a 4th liner that should be averaging 3 minutes of PK time a game. The fact that Shanny is used there is a big mistake by Renney but that's another conversation.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Fletch

SoS...

I agree about the cupboard being stacked, I'm just talking about the last season - if Ortmeyer was in the fourth line role he should've been in, as well as a penalty killer (with Callahan in that third line role). The problem, quite often, with these grades is people may talk about how Betts stunk as a second line center, when it wasn't his fault he was the second line centerman. The guy went out there and did the best he could in a role for which he wasn't well-suited.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 05:38 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 488
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
First half? He had one bad month (october), along with a few bad games here and there. However, october also held a laughable Rangers defense, where Malik was playing his worst and we played stars like Ozolinsh and Kasparaitis. It was a Lundqvist in bad form all alone against other teams forwards.
yeah the defense wasnt good at all but that doesnt mean he wasnt horrible. he was out of place he was forcing the play. he was just downright horrible the first 2 months of the season. he started playing better when he let the play come to him and that was in january. so half the season being a top 5 goaltender doesnt mean he was great the whole year.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 05:43 PM
JPNYR

Matt Cullen-A-...Not the best start but gives 100% every game and finished strong.
Blair Betts-B...One of the better forwards on Faceoffs and PK. In my opinion, did his job as fourth line center.
Petr Prucha-B+...The defensive side of his game has improved since last year, and scored 20 goals again. Did as much as can be expected for the limited ice time he sees.
Ryan Hollweg-C...I think this team would be fine without him, now that we have Sean Avery.
Martin Straka-B+...Another strong year. His game has suffered due to the bum shoulder.
Michael Nylander-A-...A career year for him, but still needs to shoot more
Brendan Shanahan-A-...His presence in the locker room means a ton to this team, and will be huge during the playoffs.
Brad Isbister-B-...Has a problem finishing, but overall I feel he stepped in and did what was asked of him.
Sean Avery-A+...In my opinion, the Rangers are not in the playoffs right now without this guy. His impact on the game is unreal.
Colton Orr-C+...What can he really do besides fight? I guess his game has improved overall, and has played an important role in a number of games down the stretch.
Jed Ortemeyer-B...Has the best work ethic on the team and is valuable on the PK.
Ryan Callahan-A-...What can you say? Came up from Hartford and became an instant contributor in many ways. I think he will be a fan favorite for years to come.
Jaromir Jagr-B+...I believe he led the league in turnovers this season. It's the one part of his game that frustrates me beyond belief, but he is still a huge part of why we are in the playoffs.
Marcel Hossa-B+...Finally starting to come around. Hopefully he picks up right where he left off before the injury.
Michal Roszival-A-...Probably our best D-man down the stretch.
Marek Malik-B-...His stupid penalties bother me more than anything else. Probably a little slow for the new NHL.
Thomas Pock-B...His game has gotten better and better and I love that he is willing to shoot the puck at all times.
Paul Mara-B...A definite upgrade over Ward. A pleasant surprise so far.
Jason Strudwick-C...Good thing he only had to play for a couple of weeks.
Daniel Girardi-B+...Played a solid, steady game.
Fedor Tyutin-B+...Ditto.
Sandis Ozolinsh-F...I don't even remember him playing this season but I'm sure if he did, he sucked
Henrik Lundqvist-A+...The King!
Kevin Weekes-C...Mediocre goaltender, at best.
Steve Valiquette-B-...Did OK in the little time he played.
Darius Kasparitus-D...Poor guy!

JPNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 05:52 PM
LeetchIsGod2

Send a message via AIM to LeetchIsGod2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
While Ort's isn't going to be the reason we win or lose, there are a few other players on this team that I would part with alot faster than Jed.

i don't think id get Rid of Hossa just Yet He Proved To Have a Tremendous Upside in limited Games With Jagr
but i agree jed is more important than Hollweg and certainly more than Isbister!!

LeetchIsGod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 06:03 PM
LeetchIsGod2

Send a message via AIM to LeetchIsGod2
Matt Cullen-B ( Hes Fast and When used Right he is effective)
Blair Betts-B (Our Best Face Off Man & PK Foward)
Petr Prucha-B+ (PRUUUUUUUUUUUUU !! )
Ryan Hollweg-C (Becoming Less Of A Factor Since Avery Came)
Martin Straka-B+ (Almost Scored 30 Goals)
Michael Nylander-B+ ( Career Season)
Brendan Shanahan-A ( Our True Leader)
Brad Isbister-C ( did ok as a Fill in)
Sean Avery-A ( Can You Say Sparkplug ?)
Colton Orr B- (Picked Up His Fighting Ability And Scored 2 Goals !!)
Jed Ortemeyer-B- ( Our Best Shot Blocker And Gives All out Effort)
Ryan Callahan-B (Limited Games But love his tenacity)
Jaromir Jagr-B ( had an ok year wasn't our mvp tho)
Marcel Hossa-B- ( useless until placed with Jagr now i love the guy)
Michal Roszival-C ( Refuses To SHOOT THE PUCK )
Marek Malik-C+ (Despite His Bad Rap And SLow Speed He Is Ok)
Thomas Pock-B (He Is Downright Mean Now and i Love it)
Paul Mara- A- (Looked Awesome Since He Came Over)
Jason Strudwick- No Grade
Daniel Girardi-B+ ( Future Looks Good At The Blue Line)
Fedor Tyutin-B+ (Ditto)
Sandis Ozolinsh-Who ?
Henrik Lundqvist-A ( The Savior Of The Season )
Kevin Weekes-D
Darius Kasparitus-We'll Miss Ya

LeetchIsGod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 06:29 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

The guys we have that you are referring to are whom? Dubinsky? Bourret? Dawes? Korpi? Immonen? (he's not NHL material)

All those guys have roles as 2nd-3rd line players and I don't see anything in Hartford right now that will bump Jed from his role as a 4th liner that should be averaging 3 minutes of PK time a game. The fact that Shanny is used there is a big mistake by Renney but that's another conversation.
Yeah... I stopped reading there.

I'm with SoS in that Ortmeyer should not be resigned. I also personally feel Hollweg is pretty useless. Honestly as bad as Colton Orrs skating is, he is arguably more valuable than Hollweg.

Betts is a decent player but I think Immonen is basically a Betts clone and could replace him with the team missing very little. I think I'm in the minority there though.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 06:29 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
I love them all. I'm not picking a favorite.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 06:36 PM
NoCurse94

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Yeah... I stopped reading there.

I'm with SoS in that Ortmeyer should not be resigned. I also personally feel Hollweg is pretty useless. Honestly as bad as Colton Orrs skating is, he is arguably more valuable than Hollweg.

Betts is a decent player but I think Immonen is basically a Betts clone and could replace him with the team missing very little. I think I'm in the minority there though.
does immonen have that desire to be a 4th line center/top penalty killer? We've called him up to be a 2nd line/3rd line center with mixed results. How would he take a "demotion" like that? He is running out of time with younger guys like dubi chomping at the bit, at what point do we have to give him a real shot with another club?

Old
04-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

My 2 cents...

Does anyone else post thier Ranger Report Cards on thier fridge?

Henrik Lundqvist- A+ <---Shaky start, but managed to perform to the best of his abilities when it mattered most. Can completely take the wind out of the sails of an opposing team. With a solid defense in front of him, he will be one of the best in the game....hell I think he already is. Best movement from pipe to pipe since Mike Richter, and has been able to deliver in bigtime game situations. He is currently making around the $800,000 mark, and might be the most underpaid player in the game today. I'm thinking $4.5 mil per season, long term deal. I'm sure the Rangers are too.

Sean Avery- A+ <---Probably the best move the club has made in the past 10 seasons. Can't remember a trade since the Rangers brought in Messier that impacted the team as much as Sean Avery did. He is the sandpaper this club has been missing. Not afraid to go into the high traffic areas. Draws more penalties than anyone I can ever remember. Is a factor in every game. Never takes a night off. Best of all, he came over as an agitator, and really showed that there is far more to his game than drawing penalties, and getting under people skin. He has excellent on ice awareness, and he also has a decent shot. Not too mention he might be one of the best passers on the team. Seems to thrive in NY, and it's pretty obvious that the fans here love the guy. He is an RFA at the end of the season, and is rapidly increasing his worth with every game that passes. I would imagine he will end up making closer to the $2.5 to $3. mil If you compare his production to Cullen he would wind up in that range. He certainly deserves it more than Cullen IMO.

Michael Nylander- A <---It amazes me that there is so much hatred still toward Nylander. IMO this team goes as far as he, Jags, and Henrik take them. He is the best stick handler/passer on the club. Has amazing chemistry with Jagr. At numerous points in just about every single game, they seem to be running a clinic. Dosen't seem to really matter who the other linemate is as Jagr, and Nylander are so good together that the LW is totally interchangeable. Prucha, Hossa, Straka, Isbister can all fill in on that line at any point. Nylander might be one of the best players rushing the puck up the ice this team has ever seen. Deceptively good skater, and he has a real tricky stick. Also has incredible poise. Of course the knock on him is not shooting when he has the chance. His playmaking ability, production, and ability to score when the game is on the line totally outweighs any of his shortcomings. One of the biggest bargains in the NHL as this in his last seaosn was only making $1.5mil per season. He should be offered a 2 year extension on or around the same they offered Marty Straka.

Dan Girardi- A <---Did anyone expect Girardi to have the season he did? He was tremendous for this team. Eased into the position like a seasoned veteran. His positioning is excellent, he skates well, he is rarely beaten one on one. He is also physical at times, and throws big hits when given the opportunity. Quite possibly the Rangers best defenseman. Will make it real hard for the organiation to send him back to Hartford at the end of the season. He is signed through the end of the 07/08 season at $550,000.

Ryan Callahan- A <---Maybe it's a little early to be dropping him into a grade of an A, but IMO he has done everything asked of him...and then some! Remember that this kid last season was playing in Jrs as an overage player. He has made the transition to the AHL level, and now into the NHL and instead of being quiet...he is a huge factor in every game. He is the North American Petr Prucha, but IMO has slightly better hockey sense. The sky is the limit here, and as Callahan progresses I expect big things from him. What has surprised me is his hitting, which untill he was called up I had no idea that was such a huge part of his game. Amazing find for a 4th round pick. Deserves all the praise he gets. He's the best part. He is signed through 2010 at $600,000 per season.

Jaromir Jagr- A- <---Started off with a bang. Taking over as the Capt. and scoring immediately into the first game. He came off the injury well, and rebounded with a solid season. Seems to struggle a little with the 'C' midseason, but handled the adversity well by leading on the ice when it counted the most. Shanny's assesments of the refs were "bang on" when he complained that Jagr dosen't draw more penalties. He gets hacked every single game, and it's a testament to his ability and charachter that he plays through it. Can be the most telented player on the ice night after night. Still not scoring on his once deadly wrist shot, which seems to miss the mark alot this season. Last year he scored with that from the high slot quite often, but this year it wasen't finding it's mark. I guess the surgery had alot to do with it. Still though, another tremendous season for him. He is signed through the end of the 08/09 season and is making $8.3 mil per season which Wash picks up approx half of. Still not sure, but I am thinking that this was the last year that the Caps were paying his salary.

Marty Straka- B+ <---Another solid season for Marty. Just under a point per game production, and he did it playing through the injuries that plagued him after the 2nd half of season. Always hustling and battling through traffic. He is great at chasing the loose pucks, and his skills are totaly underrated. Glad they resigned him. He also provides veteran leadership. Could have done more, but the injury hampered him. Extended his contract through the end of the 07/08 season for $3.3mil

Brendan Shannahan- B <---Just the veteran leadership he brings to the table alone is enough to keep him around. Then add on the fact that he also produces at slightly under a PPG, to me says alot about him as a player. Only signed a one year deal, and was brought here to take some of the burden off the top line, and more specifically off Jagr. He lived up to the expectations. Early on he was stellar. Injury hurt him some, and he hasen't been the same guy since, but he is continuing to improve since then, and has been a surprise on the PK. He is making $4mil, and is a UFA at the end of the season

Michael Roszival- B <---Another solid season for Rozsival, IMO he stepped up his physical game as well this season. He is by no means a physical defenseman, but he worked on an area that needed it, and he has been arguably the Rangers best defenseman this season. Good at sneaking in from the point, and dosen't do it too often which IMO is an asset for the club, as he rarely is out of position becuase of it. Good at getting his shots through when he takes them. Best defenseman at the quick outlet pass. Makes good decisions. Lack of physicality keeps him from being a premier defenseman, but he does enough to get the job done. He is signed through the 07/08 season for $2.3 mil, and will probably be here as long as Jagr wants him.

Petr Prucha- B <---Found his game late in the season and managed to upgrade from a C. Always a work horse, and his willingness to get in the high traffic areas make him the player he his. He is not the most skilled, dosen't have the most accurate shot, but when he's hot he can be a game breaker. Wish you could take his heart and put it in Malik's body. Plays more of a North American style than a European, and he also plays bigger than he really is. Has a tendency to make some bad decisions, and he is at time out of place in his own zone. Expect a bigger year with more icetime next season. If he played the first line he could put up Straka-like numbers. He is ready IMO. He is a RFA at the end of the season and has had his name thrown around in trade rumors for quite sometime now. Personally I think he needs to be resigned for 3 years around $1,000,000- 1,500,000 per season.

aul Mara- B <---A huge surprise. I was worried about his play in his own end, but once I got too see his game, I am convinced he is a very solid defenceman. Great shot from the point that was sorely missed. He has been a very good addition to the PP, and under a full season here could put up some very good numbers. His physical play, especially in the corners could be better. He isn't afraid fo the rought stuff, but hasen't really showed that so far with the Rangers. Need to get him the puck more and utilize his point shot. He is signed through the end of the 07/08 season at $3,000,000 per year.

Jed Ortmeyer- B <--- Great to see that Jed was able to overcome his heart problems. Once back he started off with a bang. It looked as if not only didn't he miss a beat, but he also found some offense. It looked as if he turned the corner. Lately though his game hasen't been the same, and he has tapered off a bit. Takes bad penalties. Almost wanted to give him an incomplete as he only played half a season. He was missed on the PK. I think he will be back for next season, and if paired with different linemates...maybe Dubinsky he could turn it up a notch. Always finishes his checks. A workhorse like Ortmeyer should always have a place in the game, he's currently making 550,000 per season but is an UFA at the end of the season. He could be enticed to play elsewhere for more money.

Colton Orr- B <--- As honest en enforcer there is in the game today. No cheap shots, no fake glove drops, never ducks anyone. He has the best right hand the league has seen since Joe Kocur, and in his first 2 seasons has done more damage with it than any other fighter in history. Kocur possibly the exception. He has also been able to not be a defensive liability while out there.. He is not a good skater, but he is there for a reason and that is to be NYR designated heavyweight. The negatives are he can be inconsistent. Meaning he will win a fight in huge fashion as shown in the Fedoruk, Boulton and Janssen fights. Then he losses badly to Belak, Brash, and Peters. His forechecking at times can be weak, but that is from his defensive minded play. He is a RFA at the end of the season and could probably be resigned at less than $500k per season. IMO he deserves the money, and should come into next season juiced up and ready to knuckle up!

Karel Rachunek B- <---Like the skating ability, like the good point shot, like when he joins the rush. Has a good knack for doing it at the right times. Dislike the complete lack of physicality. If a player smacks Henrik while he's holdoing onto the puck Rachunek will be the first to look the other way. That's also my argument with Pock. IMO one of these two is expendable. Not sure which one goes though. If I had to guess it's Rachunek being he command a much bigger salary, and is a RFA at the end of the year.

Brad Isbister- B- <--- Looked real good out there untill the puck finds his stick in a scoring position. I guess anyone would look good with Jagr and Nylander as linemates. He is a horse down low, and works the left wall exceptionally well. I guess his lack of putting pucks in the net is his biggest hole in his game. IMO has showed he deserves a regular shift, but Renney and company need to whip him in shape. Seems to gas easy and has a hard time keeping up with the play on extended shifts..which being a first line player cannot happen. Was making only $600,000 and is a UFA at the end of the season. Probably a good guy to keep in the org to provide veteran leadership for the Wolfpack. Plus the team is a little weak on the left side right now. Could use some depth there in case Dawes isn't ready to make the jump, or the Rangers can land a FA LW for next seaon like..26 yr old 6'4 Taylor Pyatt....who's younger bro just also happens to be in the system.

Thomas Pock- B- Has showed that he is capable of a regular shift. Has very good offensive awareness and posseses a good shot from the point. He's a fluent skater, and fits into the system well. Needs to be paired with a steady defense partner. Downside is his lack of physical play. Is a UFA at the end of the season. Could sign for another season, but I can't seeing him beat Staal, Sauer or possibly Sanguinetti in two seasons. Could probably be resigned in the $600k range.

Matty Cullen- B- <---Expected more from him earlier, but overall he has produced the type of numbers that were expected for a 3rd line center. I like having him, but near the $3mil per season IMO he is slightly overpaid. Still though he managed 41 pts. and that to me is quite acceptable for a 3rd line center. Has great speed, and can open up the ice with his quick transition game. Not a fan of having him or any foward on the point for the PP. Losses as many battles in the corners as he wins. Good hands around the net, and good instincts make up for that.He is signed through 2011 which means Ranger fans should get used to having Matty Cullen around. He is only 29 yrs old.

Marcel Hossa- B- <---His play right before the knee injury was excellent. It's the only thing that kept him out of the C column though. Renney showed faith in him at a time where fans were screaming for his head. He was able to find his game, and started to really elevate it and show that he belonged. If he responds well from the injury, I would go as far as to say that Hossa could command first line duties with Jagr and Nylander. He plays well with them, and actually plays somewhat physical. He had very good positioning against the boards, and if utilized the right way, could grab the icetime from Isbister on the 1st line. He needs to shoot more. Has a quick release. Can be tricky down low. Lacks confidence though, and if he dosen't overcome that he will be a career 3rd line player. He makes $600,000k and is in the last year of hius contract. Is a RFA next season, and an extension should be offered. I'm confident they should offer him 3yrs between $750,000- $1,000,000.

Ryan Hollweg- C+ <---Hurts me to say this as he is one of my favorites, but he had a bad season. Let's start with the negatives..his offensive output was non-existent. He has had numerous scoring chances but only managed a measly 3 points. He was also logging a fair amount of icetime, but he failed to capitalize on it. Now for the positives. He is an excellent hitter, and punishes people when he makes contact. He is always buzzing and that's what a 4th line player does. He creates energy, and in the first half of the season he was tremendously effective. His play has fallen off dramatically in the 2nd half, and the big hits that were common, seemed to come with less frequency. Highly doubt he will be around next season. He an RFA at the end of the season making less than $500,000. Better players await thier turn in Hartford.

Blair Betts- C <--- Renney loves him, but I am not really sure why. He loggs far too much icetime, and isn't nearly as effective as he was last season. He is also not as physical as a 3rd or 4th line player should be. Also not sold on his defensive ability. I believe he is here to shut down opposing fowards, but this season he hasen't been very effective. Surprised with players waiting to get thier chance that he was resigned throught 2009 around the $600k range. IMO there is better talent waiting to get thier chance to shine. At this point IMO he is hampering the development of others in the system.

Marek Malik- C <--- The scapegoat here. Someone has to be the guy, and for the Rangers it's Malik. He is slow and a non-physical presence for a guy that big. Somehow he managed to lead the team in the +/- department, but that stat dosen't figure in all the times that he took bad penalties for getting beat to the puck in his own end. Opposing teams PP units specifically target the guy by dumping the puck in whater side he is playing. Look for it, and hopefully it dosen't become a problem against Atlanta. For the positive sidehe actually has good poise with the puck, and at times creates a great outlet pass. His positioning is also very good. Against small fast fowards though he is easily beaten to the outside. Surprised he only finished with 70PIMS this season. Seemed like it was more. Like him or not, get used to him. The Rangers signed him through 08/09. He might have some trade value being that he finished with such a good +/-.

Fedor Tyutin- C- <---Early on Tyutin was arguably the best defenseman oin the club. He made great decisions, moved the puck quick, and surprisingly found his physical game as well. He was knocking people down on a regular basis, and developed a very good hip check. He struggled after being seperated from Ward, and IMO never regained form. I thought this would be his breakout season, but i just didn't see that kind of play from him. In his short time back from injury he looked very rusty, and hopefully he works out the kinks. Expected more from him. He is signed through 08/09 at around the $1,000,000 per season mark.

Kevin Weeks- C <--- Didn't really have much of an opportunity, and when he did he didn't really make anyone notice. He's currently making $2mil and is a UFA at the end of the season. Bye Kevin!

Brandon Dubinsky- INCOMPLETE

Nigel Dawes- INCOMPLETE

Jarko Immonen- INCOMPLETE

Jason Strudwick- INCOMPLETE

Sandis Ozolinsh- D <---Good riddance!

Stephen Valiquette- INCOMPLETE

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 06:50 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
does immonen have that desire to be a 4th line center/top penalty killer? We've called him up to be a 2nd line/3rd line center with mixed results. How would he take a "demotion" like that? He is running out of time with younger guys like dubi chomping at the bit, at what point do we have to give him a real shot with another club?
Playing in the NHL over the AHL is a demotion? I'd expect him to play wherever he is assigned and put his best game forward. And what do you mean by mixed results? He wasn't any less consistent than any of the other players on the second line at the time of his call-up.

I feel confident that Immonen could and would be an excellent penalty killer. He is above average defensively from what I've seen.

Old
04-09-2007, 06:54 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Dan Girardi- A <---Did anyone expect Girardi to have the season he did? He was tremendous for this team. Eased into the position like a seasoned veteran. His positioning is excellent, he skates well, he is rarely beaten one on one. He is also physical at times, and throws big hits when given the opportunity. Quite possibly the Rangers best defenseman. Will make it real hard for the organiation to send him back to Hartford at the end of the season. He is signed through the end of the 07/08 season at $550,000.
If he gets sent back to Hartford it would be a serious crime. What has he even done wrong.... ever? He's been pretty much the most consistent dman we've had in a long time.

Old
04-09-2007, 06:56 PM
NoCurse94

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Playing in the NHL over the AHL is a demotion? I'd expect him to play wherever he is assigned and put his best game forward. And what do you mean by mixed results? He wasn't any less consistent than any of the other players on the second line at the time of his call-up.

I feel confident that Immonen could and would be an excellent penalty killer. He is above average defensively from what I've seen.
ha i knew u were gonna take demotion in the wrong way. its a demotion in the sense of where he was "projected" to play after the leetch trade. I think it takes a certain kind of player to be a reliable 4th line center. I'm not saying Immonen can't be useful in the role, just merely will he embrace that role in the way i think Betts has? (a player who knows his limitations and get the most of them)

i would say mixed results is fair. He certainly didn't shine and he didn't disappear, but to his defense, I don't think he got enough of a look there, though now with avery, callahan etc as newer keeper additions to the top 9 forwards list his stock has fallen fair or unfair.

Old
04-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Matt Cullen-B
Blair Betts-B
Petr Prucha-B
Ryan Hollweg-C+
Martin Straka-B+
Michael Nylander-A
Brendan Shanahan-B+
Brad Isbister-C
Sean Avery-A
Colton Orr-C+
Jed Ortemeyer-C+
Ryan Callahan-B+
Jaromir Jagr-B+
Marcel Hossa-B+
Michal Roszival-B+
Marek Malik-C
Thomas Pock-B-
Paul Mara-B
Jason Strudwick-C
Daniel Girardi-B+
Fedor Tyutin-B+
Sandis Ozolinsh-F
Henrik Lundqvist-A
Kevin Weekes-D
Darius Kasparitus-F
This is exactly what I had in mind, maybe only B for Jagr and C for Weekes, this is how it should be based on expectations for each player, good list TomLaidlaw.

Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 07:08 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
ha i knew u were gonna take demotion in the wrong way. its a demotion in the sense of where he was "projected" to play after the leetch trade. I think it takes a certain kind of player to be a reliable 4th line center. I'm not saying Immonen can't be useful in the role, just merely will he embrace that role in the way i think Betts has? (a player who knows his limitations and get the most of them)

i would say mixed results is fair. He certainly didn't shine and he didn't disappear, but to his defense, I don't think he got enough of a look there, though now with avery, callahan etc as newer keeper additions to the top 9 forwards list his stock has fallen fair or unfair.
So basically it's semantics but we generally agree.

The 2nd line was a cluster of inconsistency when he was up. And you are right he was not given a legit shot at making a name for himself here. I think Immonen knows what his limitations are and he plays the same way no matter where he plays.

As far as projections go, those are arbitrary nonsense that people make up to make themselves feel better about their prospects. I see it happen all the time in our own prospects thread. We have about 5 top 4 defensive prospects in our system apparently when in reality we'll be lucky if two of them pan out that way.

Marcel Hossa gets the "projections" treatment around here also from a few posters. Apparently if he isn't the equivalent of a 1st or 2nd liner he is a failed player. The fact is that Hossa is a capable player with a skill set unique enough to play in all situations and produce. (maybe not at hype levels, but he will if given the patience and nurturing new NHL players often need). Guys like Crosby and Ovechkin are not the norm.