HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs Prospects are Underachieving to say the Least

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2003, 09:23 AM
Red Horner*

vCash: 500
Leafs Prospects are Underachieving to say the Least

Hope I'm right in saying that they are sputtering and not just dogs. Kondratiev has been a bust in St.Johns with Shedden pulling no bones about how badly he's played. Colaiacovo has been benched for the last few games, these guys seem to having attitude problems, they want to be in Toronto or now where don't seem to want to pay their dues so to speak. Will Carlo end up in Memphis. Steen the suppossed next super star of Leaf hockey has scored one highlight goal in two months in Sweden that's One Goal period, when you score one goal in two months in a very wattered down Swedish league you haven't done much. Volkov is sitting in Siberia somewhere, Doherty is lumber jacking somewhere in New Hampshire, Sagat is tearing up the Western League with 5 or 6 goals while Fergy's picks with the Blues have over 20 goals with their teams in the CHL. It seems like the only player that Leaf fans can get excited about is a lowly 6th rd pick playing in SC who is leading the WHL in scoring although I would compare him to Dan Hodson another small scoring phenom from the West. Kronwall is a big slow footed defenceman who will be a pylon if he comes to N/A. Siekola has show nothing. Only Immonen stirs any hope of something coming out of Europe.

Old
12-17-2003, 09:40 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
red i know what you need buddy a hug and some christmass cheeer

Old
12-17-2003, 09:43 AM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmour's Way
red i know what you need buddy a hug and some christmass cheeer

Somehow I doubt that would do any good. Some people just choose to always view things in a negative light no matter what the actual situation.

Old
12-17-2003, 09:47 AM
leafaholix*

Carlo Colaiacovo's been sitting because he woke up last week and couldn't move his limbs. He was hit from behind last week... Shedden said that Carlo's been one of the top 4 defensemen in St. John's (Moro, Harrison, Hedin).

As for Steen, he's 19 years old and on pace for 30-40 points... which is pretty damn good for a kid.

Doherty's a freshman... don't be expecting him to play much.

Konstantin Volkov is 18 and has earned himself a contract with Lada, a Super League team... which is absolutely tremendous.

Old
12-17-2003, 09:51 AM
50 Mission Cap

Red conveniently forgot to mention Wellwood, AHL rookie of the month.

Tellqvuist playing quite well on the Rock.

Stajan playing well with the big club, depsite Red's predicitons that he'd stink.

This is Red's MO. He comes here gets people riled up with selective information. Once again, nobody is fooled by his routine.

I'll ask you again Red, why did you originally register as Jersey Joe at tmlfans.ca, following Jersey eliminating Toronto. Further, you always have high praise for "Jersey Lou" as you call him? Spill the beans Red.

Old
12-17-2003, 10:11 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

I think Leaf Fans here at HF...Should make a ...

NEW YEARS RESOLUTION .....

and not respond to a RED post again...

Then the Senile old man can just go on talking to himself...Like he does in real life anyway...

So raise your glasses and cheers..

WHO's ON BOARD ????...

Old
12-17-2003, 10:20 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger

Then the Senile old man can just go on talking to himself...Like he does in real life anyway...

WHO's ON BOARD ????...

Old
12-17-2003, 10:59 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

LOL

Now Keon14's reduced to making crap up.

Pathetic. I don't see you over at tmlfans, Keon. Whyever not?

Old
12-17-2003, 11:30 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger

WHO's ON BOARD ????...

I am with you Messenger. I stopped responding to him last week. The odd time I'll drop a comment, but not an exchange of dialogue. He can blast away all he wants; its just nonesense.

Old
12-17-2003, 11:42 AM
Red Horner*

Jersey Joe

Was one of several names, at that time many where using more than one handle, it was not regulated like it is now.

-comments which should be exchanged via PM or mail rather than the HFBoards-

Last edited by DutchLeafsfan: 12-17-2003 at 03:26 PM.
Old
12-17-2003, 12:35 PM
Red Horner*

The Star says Imonnen is playing for Finland representing Leafs they are wrong it's the other Imonnen drafted by Stars I believe.

Old
12-17-2003, 12:44 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Horner
The Star says Imonnen is playing for Finland representing Leafs they are wrong it's the other Imonnen drafted by Stars I believe.
Our guy's too old. Born in 82.

Old
12-17-2003, 01:58 PM
50 Mission Cap

Quote:
Was one of several names, at that time many where using more than one handle, it was not regulated like it is now.

-comments which should be exchanged via PM or mail rather than the HFBoards-

Well, Red, if you had only click the little box that said "hide email from others" it wouldn't appear.

As for the whole cheque thing, you're really getting desperate, and very close to libel. I'd be careful if I were you.

Last edited by DutchLeafsfan: 12-17-2003 at 03:28 PM.
Old
12-17-2003, 05:10 PM
sluggo*

Carlo Colaiacovo's been sitting because he woke up last week and couldn't move his limbs. He was hit from behind last week... Shedden said that Carlo's been one of the top 4 defensemen in St. John's (Moro, Harrison, Hedin)

Right, hes hurt so hes not playing. And forget top 4, Shedden has said Colaiacovo has been their best D-man before on Leafs Lunch.

Kondratiev - He wasn't a superstar in St. Johns and he won't be one in the NHL. They have a surplus of D-men in St. Johns right now so he went home, and he'll play a lot in Russia for the rest of the year and come back next year.

Steen - Hes a top prospect and hes producing well for a 19 year old in the SEL, he was (and could still be, I'm not sure) the top scoring underage player in the SEL.

Sagat - sure hes only got 5 goals, but hes also got 23 points in 30 games, hes not scoring up a storm but hes not doing nothing either.

Old
12-19-2003, 08:50 AM
Red Horner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
Carlo Colaiacovo's been sitting because he woke up last week and couldn't move his limbs. He was hit from behind last week... Shedden said that Carlo's been one of the top 4 defensemen in St. John's (Moro, Harrison, Hedin)

Right, hes hurt so hes not playing. And forget top 4, Shedden has said Colaiacovo has been their best D-man before on Leafs Lunch.

Kondratiev - He wasn't a superstar in St. Johns and he won't be one in the NHL. They have a surplus of D-men in St. Johns right now so he went home, and he'll play a lot in Russia for the rest of the year and come back next year.

Steen - Hes a top prospect and hes producing well for a 19 year old in the SEL, he was (and could still be, I'm not sure) the top scoring underage player in the SEL.

Sagat - sure hes only got 5 goals, but hes also got 23 points in 30 games, hes not scoring up a storm but hes not doing nothing either.
At least you responded with some facts and gave your opinion which I respect.
On Coke Shedden said that a month ago he's had some injury problems hope he plays tonight so we can evaluate him, one thing that Coke will always have to struggle with is his size for an NHL defenceman that's why he's not considered a blue chipper but a very good prospect.

Kondratiev has struggled since he went to St.John's, I don't know if going back to Russia is the answer, hopefully he'll adapt to N/A in the future but you never know, I think that's why Antipov never made it here he was more comfortable over in Russia.

Steen the fact that he had a good start in the SEL is great but the fact is he's scored one highlight goal in two months, great prospects score more than one goal in two months in the wattered down Swedish league, if your a player you produce plain and simple, this is his second year he's not a rookie and he's going on 20 years old.

Sagat is also a 19 year old this is his last year of junior, Turon was another 19 year old with one year of junior, it takes two years of junior for Europeans to adjust. So when this guy graduates do you sign him if he where a N/A and he had say 12 goals no way they sign him. If Turon wasn't good enough to make St.John's they should not have signed him a waste of money. Signing players for Memphis isn't going to cut it, the CHL and the NHL are as far away as Haiti and the US. If Sagat had another year of junior that would be different, one year of junior and then on to the AHL a long shot.

Old
12-19-2003, 10:06 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Kondratiev has struggled since he went to St.John's, I don't know if going back to Russia is the answer, hopefully he'll adapt to N/A in the future but you never know, I think that's why Antipov never made it here he was more comfortable over in Russia.
Europe is not like the NHL.
Europe is not like the AHL.

The AHL is not like the NHL.

Kondratiev looked better in Toronto than did Jackman. Less panic, more muscle between the ears. I heard Pilar didn't look great in St.John's 2 years ago. Pilar actually plays better in the NHL than the AHL, but as mentioned the AHL is not the NHL.

Antipov was never given a chance in the NHL, same with Hakansson as Quinn preferred to ice one-way contract Valk.

It isn't always talent that keeps someone in the NHL. Lumme, McAllister and Belak are all indicative of Quinn's thought processes, along with Perreault and Sullivan.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-19-2003, 10:09 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
At least you responded with some facts and gave your opinion which I respect.
You do?

Then why don't YOU do that?

Old
12-19-2003, 10:13 AM
Predatore

Send a message via MSN to Predatore
Quote:
Steen the fact that he had a good start in the SEL is great but the fact is he's scored one highlight goal in two months, great prospects score more than one goal in two months in the wattered down Swedish league, if your a player you produce plain and simple, this is his second year he's not a rookie and he's going on 20 years old.
wattered down? Well, the Swedish Elite League has probably never been stronger. Despite that many prospects leave the SEL each year .. that is nothing new and that has been the case since the early 90's.
There are actually a lot of good players in the SEL now, more than ever I would say. The only thing missing is quality prospects (there are perhaps 4-5 young players, including Steen, that could qualify as SEL stars).
Steen has a key-role on a very strong team and is playing well, despite not putting up a lot of points lately.

Old
12-19-2003, 10:20 AM
sjmapleleafsfan

Sjml

Quote:
Hope I'm right in saying that they are sputtering and not just dogs. Kondratiev has been a bust in St.Johns with Shedden pulling no bones about how badly he's played. Colaiacovo has been benched for the last few games, these guys seem to having attitude problems, they want to be in Toronto or now where don't seem to want to pay their dues so to speak. Will Carlo end up in Memphis.
Red Horner,
The St. John's Maple Leafs are 14-14-2-1 this season and are 2nd in the North Division. This year's team has not even started to scratch the surface yet....when they get everyone healthy and in the line-up they should be that much more dangerous.

The Kondratiev situation has been well documented.....Good Luck to Kondratiev.

Colaiacovo has NOT been benched in the last few games. He has missed the games because of an injury. As for attitude problems.....Colaiacovo's attitude has been great since he arrived here in St. John's. Colaiacovo will definitely not end up in Memphis.

sjmapleleafsfan

Old
12-19-2003, 10:23 AM
sjmapleleafsfan

Colaiacovo

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Carlo Colaiacovo's been sitting because he woke up last week and couldn't move his limbs. He was hit from behind last week... Shedden said that Carlo's been one of the top 4 defensemen in St. John's (Moro, Harrison, Hedin).
go pierre hedin,
Colaiacovo has definitely been one of the SJML's best defencemen this season. It is great that he will be in the line-up for tonight's game against the Roadrunners.

sjmapleleafsfan

Old
12-19-2003, 10:27 AM
sjmapleleafsfan

Baby Leafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Mission Cap
Red conveniently forgot to mention Wellwood, AHL rookie of the month.

Tellqvuist playing quite well on the Rock.
50 Mission Cap,
Wellwood leads the AHL in Rookie Scoring with 4 goals and 22 assists for 26 points, T-9th in the AHL in Scoring.

Tellqvist has been strong since his return....4-2-0 with a 1.82 GAA and a .933 SPCT.

Druken is on fire at the AHL level and has played well when called upon by the TML's.

Harrison has played solid this season as well.

Bell is starting to play better and should only improve over the course of the season.

sjmapleleafsfan

Old
12-19-2003, 10:30 AM
Red Horner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Europe is not like the NHL.
Europe is not like the AHL.

The AHL is not like the NHL.

Kondratiev looked better in Toronto than did Jackman. Less panic, more muscle between the ears. I heard Pilar didn't look great in St.John's 2 years ago. Pilar actually plays better in the NHL than the AHL, but as mentioned the AHL is not the NHL.

Antipov was never given a chance in the NHL, same with Hakansson as Quinn preferred to ice one-way contract Valk.

It isn't always talent that keeps someone in the NHL. Lumme, McAllister and Belak are all indicative of Quinn's thought processes, along with Perreault and Sullivan.
I think that Kondratiev father has something to do with Russian hockey and may be well off, therefore Max might not be interested in playing in N/A other than with the Leafs, since the pay in the Russian Elite League has increased dramatically, thus the AHL where the pay is less is not appealing to them, obviously he has the talent to play after two years on the Russian Junior team. Same with Cereda he had to play here to get his bonus probably over 1 million now he can go back to Switzerland and make twice what he can at the AHL level.

As for Pilar your right he's a better NHL'er than a minor leaguer, I've seen that many times over the years in not only hockey but Baseball that has been true, if you look at Vernon Wells stats in Syracuse and his stats with the Jays he's a better Major Leaguer, so like you I like to see guys get a chance at the top before writing them off. Again Quinn never saw those guy's play and relied on the coach's in St.Johns and his scouts, that's why the Leafs are far better with him just as coach. There is no doubt in my mind the Leafs are better this year because he is coaching full time, and with Ferguson we have a guy who knows talent.

Old
12-19-2003, 10:36 AM
Red Horner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmapleleafsfan
50 Mission Cap,
Wellwood leads the AHL in Rookie Scoring with 4 goals and 22 assists for 26 points, T-9th in the AHL in Scoring.

Tellqvist has been strong since his return....4-2-0 with a 1.82 GAA and a .933 SPCT.

Druken is on fire at the AHL level and has played well when called upon by the TML's.

Harrison has played solid this season as well.

Bell is starting to play better and should only improve over the course of the season.

sjmapleleafsfan
Wellwood is a very gifted but small player the NHL is a long shot for him he's offensive player only

Tellqvist has not proven to me that he's a No.1 guy, a backup yes but I'm not convinced he's the man

Druken has had a lot of kicks at the can, he's not an impact player, to be effective he must be able to put up pts, he not a 3rd or 4th line plugger not big enough. Harrison well need a lot more seasoning doubt if his skating and puck moving will allow him to play in Quinns system. Bell is soft period, he's not good defensivly he'll have to get a lot tougher he will never put up the pts in the Pro's that he did in junior.

Old
12-19-2003, 10:41 AM
Red Horner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatore
wattered down? Well, the Swedish Elite League has probably never been stronger. Despite that many prospects leave the SEL each year .. that is nothing new and that has been the case since the early 90's.
There are actually a lot of good players in the SEL now, more than ever I would say. The only thing missing is quality prospects (there are perhaps 4-5 young players, including Steen, that could qualify as SEL stars).
Steen has a key-role on a very strong team and is playing well, despite not putting up a lot of points lately.
No Forsberg's, Sundins, Sedin's , Lindstroms, Zetterbergs, as you said no impact players, many guys who where not good enough for the NHL. As for Steen I realize he was a late 1st rd pick but when your drafted by the Leafs you are automatically proclaimed a Super Star in the waiting, he'll be a decent NHL'er but no Super Star.

Old
12-19-2003, 10:42 AM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatore
Don't take him personally, Predatore. He's trying to get under people's skin. He's just trolling the board.

Closed Thread