Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings in 5

Old
04-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Future_KLM_Pilot*

vCash: 500
Red Wings in 5

That's my prediction. I was right last year (about Anaheim) and I'm pretty sure I'll be right again. Should be a short series, sorry to have to tell you.

Future_KLM_Pilot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Damn man, even as an Oilers fan, I can't see the Wings winning in 5. I could see the Flames winning in 5, unfortunately.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 12:27 AM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by icbites View Post
That's my prediction. I was right last year (about Anaheim) and I'm pretty sure I'll be right again. Should be a short series, sorry to have to tell you.
Ahh yes, the infamous 'Ducks in 4..no 5...no 6....see, I was right, in 7' prediction.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 12:36 AM
Java

Why not Wings in 4 icbites?

Java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 01:03 AM
prairieflame

Red Wings in 5

I don't think the Western Conference is that predictable. Anything can happen. Flames could beat the #1 team, San Jose could beat Nashville, Dallas could beat Van (although hope that doesn't happen otherwise there would be mass suicides in 'Nuck land) and Minnie is capable of beating Anahiem. It really is a toss up. But I don't think the Flames will go that quickly into the night.

prairieflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 01:16 AM
abracanada

I believe the Wings don't like this matchup too much at all. When the Flames had to, they pulled it together. Do they have enough to do it again? I think so. I suspect they have been playing in the weeds, and they will take the Wings. First rounds are always interesting. Unusual results are the norm.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 01:19 AM
sandbox

Quote:
K troll. I'm sure you were right about 03-04 too. Right? Haha
"sorry to have to tell you" lol do you actually get anymore *** then that?

Last edited by sandbox: 04-08-2007 at 01:33 AM.
sandbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 01:22 AM
Breanna

Even as an Oilers fan, I think the Flames will take the series against the Wings. You guys couldn't have asked for a better situation, in my opinion.

Breanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 01:57 AM
Jared Ramsden

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
And it begins again!

Jared Ramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 01:59 AM
Lanny'sDaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ramsden View Post
And it begins again!
I'm waiting on his "NHL2K6 Predictions" like last year where he simulated the entire post season. Now *THAT* was funny.

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 02:04 AM
Jared Ramsden

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
I believe the Wings don't like this matchup too much at all. When the Flames had to, they pulled it together. Do they have enough to do it again? I think so. I suspect they have been playing in the weeds, and they will take the Wings. First rounds are always interesting. Unusual results are the norm.
I agree 100%....If the Flames playing up to their capabilities, they can beat anyone....including the Wings....The Flames are more than capable of running and gunning with the Wings. If the Flames can combine their offense, with a physical, in your face style of play, I can see the Flames taking this series. Having Bertuzzi and Calder give the Wings a little more grit, but I still think the Flames can wear them down IF they play their game. I'm going to say Flames in 7 games.....

Old
04-08-2007, 02:05 AM
BenThatcher

I agree with the Red Wings in five. We'll lose the first two games on the road as we are an absolute joke on the road and they're miles ahead of anyone else at home. We'll come back to the 'Dome down 2-0 and probably get a split, then lose game five back in Detroit.

The Flames were a major disappointment this year, no heart and no sense of urgency. Backing into the regular season isn't the way to go if you're looking to make a serious post season push. Does anyone here really see the Flames going deep in the playoffs? I almost wish Colorado had won tonight, at least that team has some heart and sense of team spirit. All we have are a bunch of guys who are worried more about individual stats and potential paycheques. Disgusting effort agains the Oilers tonight, in all seriousness how can you expect to knock off Detroit, the best team in the West, when you can't even beat Edmonton's ECHL team?

BenThatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 02:07 AM
Jared Ramsden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
I'm waiting on his "NHL2K6 Predictions" like last year where he simulated the entire post season. Now *THAT* was funny.
LOL

Old
04-08-2007, 03:06 AM
Cyrus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenThatcher View Post
The Flames were a major disappointment this year, no heart and no sense of urgency. Backing into the regular season isn't the way to go if you're looking to make a serious post season push. Does anyone here really see the Flames going deep in the playoffs? I almost wish Colorado had won tonight, at least that team has some heart and sense of team spirit. All we have are a bunch of guys who are worried more about individual stats and potential paycheques. Disgusting effort agains the Oilers tonight, in all seriousness how can you expect to knock off Detroit, the best team in the West, when you can't even beat Edmonton's ECHL team?
In my opinion, the flames stopped really trying when they found out they had clinched. Playfair rightfully started resting some of the big guns. The only guy who seemed to care was Kipper, which is a good sign. I'm sure no one thought we'd go deep in 2004, but we did, and we can do it again this year.

Besides, Edmonton's only other win since the trade deadline was against Colorado, so don't say they deserve it so much more than we do.

Plain and simply, Go flames go!

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 09:00 AM
ArizonaGreenTea

This is a team of extreme peaks and valleys. For a stretch of games you'll see Calgary play like the best team in the league, their GAA will average less than 1.50, their PP% will be in the 30's, the only goals against will be on the PK and they'll be averaging over 3 goals a game.

Then there will be the next stretch, their GAA will be over 3.50, they won't do squat on the PP for the first 40 minutes of the game, their PK will be go from decent to God-awful and while they may score 2-3 goals almost always in the third the team will somehow manage to fall short everytime.

When Calgary is at their best, the best in the league can only hope for a lucky bounce or that their goaltender steals it. When Calgary is at their worst even a lucky bounce and a spectacular preformance by Kipprusoff will fall short. That's why this team is 8th, when on paper they look much better and that's why it'll be hard to predict which team shows up in the first game of this series.

But, with a couple days off between the 82nd game and the first game against Detroit, I'll take a gander that the team that shows up will be the one that showed up for most of January, not the team that fell apart in early Feburary. If I'm wrong, it will be an easy series for Detroit.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 10:03 AM
FreshClean

See with the Wings, I tend to think fatigue could creep in on Hasek. Now it may not happen in this series but if they go far, I could see it as a factor.

Except they wont go far. Flames will take it home!

FreshClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 10:15 AM
arin1

Good thing Wings have a capable backup(who's not injured like last year)!

arin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 10:18 AM
chriss_co

Quote:
sorry to tell you, but your prediction this season was that the flames wouldn't make the playoffs

and were you right on that?

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 11:41 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
Count me as one Wings fan who really doesn't like this matchup. But, I wouldn't say the Flames will be lying in the weeds or anything. The wounds from 04 are too fresh for the Wings to get surprised by the Flames. If Calgary wins this series, it will not be because they surprised Detroit. It will be because the Wings are unable to raise their intensity to playoff level, and the Flames are. It's been a problem for years.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 02:18 PM
lopper

This matchup is very similar to the Red Wings-Oilers first round matchup last year.

Both teams have solid goaltending, defenses are strong except i think Detroit has a little more fire power on offense.

If Calgary can improve their play on the road they win this series in 6.

If they continue to suck on the road and don't crash and bang Detroits forwards then it will be the Red Wings in 6

lopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Jared Ramsden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraLeone View Post
This is a team of extreme peaks and valleys. For a stretch of games you'll see Calgary play like the best team in the league, their GAA will average less than 1.50, their PP% will be in the 30's, the only goals against will be on the PK and they'll be averaging over 3 goals a game.

Then there will be the next stretch, their GAA will be over 3.50, they won't do squat on the PP for the first 40 minutes of the game, their PK will be go from decent to God-awful and while they may score 2-3 goals almost always in the third the team will somehow manage to fall short everytime.

When Calgary is at their best, the best in the league can only hope for a lucky bounce or that their goaltender steals it. When Calgary is at their worst even a lucky bounce and a spectacular preformance by Kipprusoff will fall short. That's why this team is 8th, when on paper they look much better and that's why it'll be hard to predict which team shows up in the first game of this series.

But, with a couple days off between the 82nd game and the first game against Detroit, I'll take a gander that the team that shows up will be the one that showed up for most of January, not the team that fell apart in early Feburary. If I'm wrong, it will be an easy series for Detroit.
That is a fantastic analysis. It's just really a matter of what Flames team decides to show up.

Old
04-08-2007, 04:19 PM
sandbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ramsden View Post
That is a fantastic analysis. It's just really a matter of what Flames team decides to show up.

I agree. I do believe the Flames will show up, at least at home. Here is my analysis of what needs to be done to win, and things which would lead to the Flames not winning.

1) Hamrlik and Phaneuf need to step up, not down. Last year this pairing led to our loss to Anaheim. Sure game 7 was just a complete disaster by the whole team, but i believe the HP pairing was the main reason
2) Iginla needs to be.....well Iginla..He's gotten extremely hot the past month and know him he will show up and lead the team come playoffs. If the wings no whats good for them, they won't wake a sleeping giant..Right mr. hatcher?
3) Our 3rd and 4th lines (whatever they may be), must bring energy and timely scoring, but also stay disciplined. In 03-04' it seems to be someone new stepping up Gelinas, Montador, Donovan..Flames need those type players to step up every game, and can't rely on the top 2 lines.
4) AND most important...They need to find their identity in the playoffs. I think we're a lot more like the 03-04 team than we've been playing. Regardless our forecheck will tell the tale on the playoffs. We have a lot more talent than 03-04 yes, but we still dont compare talent wise to at least 3 or 4 teams in the West, so we've still got to compensate through our defense and forecheck. But they must buy-in to hard work, because somewhere along the way, we forgot it's what wins championships.

Old
04-08-2007, 04:47 PM
BenThatcher

Sandbox, in fairness, in regards to your first point, wasn't Phaneuf playing with a broken leg or something? I think that's why that pairing didn't step up.

BenThatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 05:17 PM
sandbox

I realize that. Hamrlik sure didnt help him. And Phaneuf has shown many flashes of his brokenleggedness throughout the season if you know what I mean. Or maybe you don't, and just see his hard howie and hard hits..

Old
04-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Milpool

Wow, what a huge surprise, icbites & BenThatcher dismissing a team they allegedly cheer for. How are you two so pessimistic and not suicidal?

I think the Flames' strengths & weaknesses have been outlined pretty well here - the Flames have been a team of major highs and major lows. A high team can beat Detroit and go on a major run, a low team will get beaten rather easily. I just hope the former team shows up. They've won when they had to this season, so I have confidence they'll do well, but who knows with this team.

Anyway, stop making lame predictions based on the fact you always assume the worst. Life's too depressing that way.

Milpool is offline   Reply With Quote