HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Parrish's trade value is dropping

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2003, 11:08 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Parrish's trade value is dropping

I could be wrong about this, but that is my read on the situation. Alan Hahn noted that other day that Atlanta had been scouting the Isles pretty consistently but had refused to offer anything more than F. Kaberle (obviously, uninspiring return).

I personally think that the Isles are about ready to move Parrish because Hunter has taken his spot on the second line, Asham or Blake can take his spot on the third line, and (hopefully) Weinhandl will eventually take the slot next to Yashin.

The Isles have also found that Peca and Hamrlik are hard to move for fair value right now, and will probably keep both (although an eventual Hamrlik trade remains a distant possibility, IMO). So, if they are still serious about cutting payroll $ (which may or may not be the case), Parrish seems the likely head to roll.

So, I predict (with absolutely no degree of certainty) that Parrish gets moved to a Western Conference team within the next few weeks. I think that some of the proposals that we saw the board a little while ago that provoked anger from Isles fans could eventually happen. Those proposals were bad in Oct, but now are becoming more reasonable.

Hard to be an Islander fan these days!

12-16-2003, 11:12 AM
Matty

I would hope that Burkie would at least be sniffing around. Would the Isles be interested in prospects? Maybe one roster player combined with either Umberger or Koltsov? Then again, the only roster players I could see being traded would be King or Ruutu.

BTW, does trading Parrish really skim down on the payroll? He doesn't make that much, does he?

Old
12-16-2003, 11:15 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Hard to be an Islander fan these days!
Objection..

Try watching a Stars game without yelling at the tele or falling a sleep.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:17 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty
I would hope that Burkie would at least be sniffing around. Would the Isles be interested in prospects? Maybe one roster player combined with either Umberger or Koltsov? Then again, the only roster players I could see being traded would be King or Ruutu.

BTW, does trading Parrish really skim down on the payroll? He doesn't make that much, does he?

Wiemer didn't make that much, and the Isles cut him for salary purposes. The press leaks suggest that they wanted to drop salary by about 4 to 5 million. With Parrish and Wiemer gone, they're very close to that number, and that would probably do it until the summer.

In answer to your question, I suspect the Isles would take prospects and picks. I don't think they're going to have a lot of options if they do decide to move Mark. Like I said, trades that seemed ridiculous a month or two ago are becoming more reasonable with the shifts in the market and Parrish's continued problems scoring.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:21 AM
Matty

Quote:
In answer to your question, I suspect the Isles would take prospects and picks. I don't think they're going to have a lot of options if they do decide to move Mark. Like I said, trades that seemed ridiculous a month or two ago are becoming more reasonable with the shifts in the market and Parrish's continued problems scoring.
Wow. Well, I'd definitely be willing to part with King & Koltsov or King & Umberger for Parrish. I understand that parting with Koltsov could hurt down the road, but I believe the Canucks are in a win-now mode and Parrish is one 2nd line option we could afford.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:28 AM
disles1

Quote:
Wiemer didn't make that much, and the Isles cut him for salary purposes. The press leaks suggest that they wanted to drop salary by about 4 to 5 million. With Parrish and Wiemer gone, they're very close to that number, and that would probably do it until the summer.

This isles fan does not think the isles will move Parrish for picks! He makes 2.3 mill and I would think he could fetch a crease clearing dman ala Gauthier or Vish or now that Comrie is gone how about J Smith??
I could be wrong but don't think picks will do.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:29 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Wow. Well, I'd definitely be willing to part with King & Koltsov or King & Umberger for Parrish. I understand that parting with Koltsov could hurt down the road, but I believe the Canucks are in a win-now mode and Parrish is one 2nd line option we could afford.

In all honesty, I don't know what the Isles are going to do here. But, if they chose to move him, I think many Islander fans will be disappointed with the return he will bring (at least at the present time). I guess we'll see.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:38 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by disles1
This isles fan does not think the isles will move Parrish for picks! He makes 2.3 mill and I would think he could fetch a crease clearing dman ala Gauthier or Vish or now that Comrie is gone how about J Smith??
Oil are not going to trade Smith. After the Janne N. trade, they're already short on high level dmen. Besides, Oil don't want Parrish's contract and Isles don't want Smiths. Finally, I think Smith is an impending UFA.

Gauthier or Vish would be nice, but I'm not sure either is available right now, nor do I think the Isles want a contract in return.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Parrish traded for a soild defense prospect. With Gervais' injury, the cupboard is bare.

Old
12-16-2003, 12:15 PM
Trottier
Very Random

To St. Louis: Parrish ($2.3M)

To NYI: Petr Cajanek ($800k)

St. Louis get a proven, 26 y/o 2nd line scoring winger.
NYI gets yet another potential linemate to click with the 10-year contract man. Cajanek is 28 y/o.

Old
12-16-2003, 12:20 PM
Peter Griffin

I too would like to see Burke and the Canucks show some interest in obtaining Mark Parrish. Jason King and the Sedins have started to decline a bit, so maybe adding another offensive option could spark the team. The most I'd offer is picks/prospects and maybe a guy like Brent Sopel(although New York probably wouldn't be interested). What do you think the Isles would be looking for?

Old
12-16-2003, 12:32 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Not surprised that King has tapered off a bit. Common among rookies hitting the wall around mid-season. Isles can use talent, period. Cheaper talent, which means younger talent.

Allen?
King?
Kesler?
Umberger?

Before any Canuck fans over-reacts :p , just throwing names out. Isles, IMO, would be wise to take an offer of any of those first three names straight-up for Parrish. Yes, a price to pay for the Canucks, but if you want to add a proven 26 y/o 20+ goal scorer to your squad, expect to pay some. None of those names, though talented, would have a marked effect on your current NHL roster if traded. Such is the mindset that contenders usually take.

Old
12-16-2003, 12:37 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Not surprised that King has tapered off a bit. Common among rookies hitting the wall around mid-season. Isles can use talent, period. Cheaper talent, which means younger talent.

Allen?
King?
Kesler?
Umberger?

Before any Canuck fans over-reacts :p , just throwing names out. Isles, IMO, would be wise to take an offer of any of those first three names straight-up for Parrish.
I don't think the Canucks would trade any of the first three straight up for Parrish. What about a package involving Umberger and someone else, perhaps Artem Chubarov?

Quote:
None of those names, though talented, would have a marked effect on your current NHL roster if traded.
I disagree. Allen is really the Canucks only big, tough, crease clearing d-man. Ohlund and Jovo play that way at times, but Allen can be downright nasty. He's gaining confidence with every game and it wouldn't suprise me to see him getting top 4 ice-time with the Canucks by the playoffs. King, although he has been in a slump, is still 2nd on the team in goals and has proved that he has chemistry with the Sedins. Can Parrish replace him? Probably, but then the Canucks are in the same situation they are in now. I think they would rather keep King and add a guy like Parrish, otherwise, why not just keep King? Kesler is expandable, but the Canucks have high hopes for him. Watching him play, he looks like a young Linden out there. I doubt the Canucks move him for Parrish...

BTW, I love the avatar!

Old
12-16-2003, 12:49 PM
Matty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier

Allen?
King?
Kesler?
Umberger?

Before any Canuck fans over-reacts :p , just throwing names out. Isles, IMO, would be wise to take an offer of any of those first three names straight-up for Parrish. Yes, a price to pay for the Canucks, but if you want to add a proven 26 y/o 20+ goal scorer to your squad, expect to pay some. None of those names, though talented, would have a marked effect on your current NHL roster if traded. Such is the mindset that contenders usually take.
King straight up? Definitely. King's top-end potential is to become another Parrish IMO and he's not there yet.

Allen? No way, no how. Allen is a big part of this team right now simply because he's only big, nasty, stay-at-home type on D.

Kesler? Doubt the 'Nucks will part with him. Really doubt it. I think they see him as a future Selke winner.

Umberger? Sold. I've always been a believer in RJ and still am. That said, he's never gonna help the team if they won't sign him.

King & RJ would be my first offer to Milbury.

Old
12-16-2003, 12:52 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
King straight up? Definitely. King's top-end potential is to become another Parrish IMO and he's not there yet.

Allen? No way, no how. Allen is a big part of this team right now simply because he's only big, nasty, stay-at-home type on D.

Kesler? Doubt the 'Nucks will part with him. Really doubt it. I think they see him as a future Selke winner.

Umberger? Sold. I've always been a believer in RJ and still am. That said, he's never gonna help the team if they won't sign him.

King & RJ would be my first offer to Milbury.

The Isles should hold out for Allen, because he is exactly the sort of youngster they need in the system.

Kills me to write that, because a few months ago, I thought that was a signficant overpayment. But, trade values can change quickly.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:01 PM
Matty

Quote:
The Isles should hold out for Allen, because he is exactly the sort of youngster they need in the system.

Kills me to write that, because a few months ago, I thought that was a signficant overpayment. But, trade values can change quickly.
Honestly, I don't see Burke trading Allen unless he's getting a similar, yet more proven defensman in return. Parrish would be great, but not at the expense of making an already existing hole even bigger.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:04 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
What would he cost from Toronto?

Old
12-16-2003, 01:09 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
In all honesty, I don't know what the Isles are going to do here. But, if they chose to move him, I think many Islander fans will be disappointed with the return he will bring (at least at the present time). I guess we'll see.

key word's if.

If they decide to move him.
I'd rather keep him all season,letting unless they fall out of the playoff race,gambling they can at least get picks for him after the season ends then trade him for F. kaberle9Thrashers offer).

Last edited by CREW99AW: 12-16-2003 at 01:13 PM.
Old
12-16-2003, 01:09 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by disles1
The important thing here is not what could do. The important thing is Mike Milbury's the GM. :p

I feel pitty and compassion... Maybe it's X-mas getting to me

Old
12-16-2003, 01:11 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto80
What would he cost from Toronto?

I don't know. I do think, however, that the Isles have a screaming need for defense prospects in their system.

But, I think the Isles would hesitate to move Parrish to Toronto at all, because they could probably find a home for him in the Western Conference. I think it is more likely he winds up in LA, St. Louis, VCR, etc.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:12 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
key word's if.

If they decide to move him.
I'd rather keep him all season,letting unless they fall out of the playoff race,gambling they can at least get picks for him after the season ends.

That makes total sense to me.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:15 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
The important thing here is not what could do. The important thing is Mike Milbury's the GM. :p

I feel pitty and compassion... Maybe it's X-mas getting to me

actually Wang's decision is the important one.He's deciding payroll/trade issues.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:15 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

I'm not sure sure if any Canucks proposals involoving player X and Umberger would work given the likelyhood that RJ likely will become a free agent. Umberger is worth about zilch right now because any team that wants him knows that if they're patient, he can be theirs. Also, I got the impression that Burke has a bit of a gruge against RJ and would rather watch him sit for a year and let him walk, then trade him to a place he might play.
I could be wrong.

Now, to remain slightly on thread, I'm a CBJ fan and would love to see a scoring right winger like Parrish here (though with the addition of Zherdev we might not need it as much, hopefully). Team doesn't have much in tradeable assets though -- its either overpriced vets the Isles won't want or young players Columbus won't trade.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:16 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't know. I do think, however, that the Isles have a screaming need for defense prospects in their system.

But, I think the Isles would hesitate to move Parrish to Toronto at all, because they could probably find a home for him in the Western Conference. I think it is more likely he winds up in LA, St. Louis, VCR, etc.
cant even humour me with a proposal? :p

Old
12-16-2003, 01:21 PM
Matty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
I'm not sure sure if any Canucks proposals involoving player X and Umberger would work given the likelyhood that RJ likely will become a free agent. Umberger is worth about zilch right now because any team that wants him knows that if they're patient, he can be theirs. Also, I got the impression that Burke has a bit of a gruge against RJ and would rather watch him sit for a year and let him walk, then trade him to a place he might play.
I could be wrong.
a) At the very least RJ is worth the 2nd round pick the Canucks or any team that traded for and failed to sign him would receive.

b) The Canucks still own RJ's rights till the summer. So it is not necessarily true that any team that wants him just has to be patient and he's theirs. The Canucks could easily trade him to a different team at the trading deadline.

c) Burke would trade RJ if the trade would improve his team. Any suggestion otherwise is silly.

Old
12-16-2003, 02:22 PM
Primakov!

As much as I wouldn't mind seeing him on the Kings, I wonder if Parrish might head towards the Ducks now that they've missed out on getting Comrie from the Oilers.

Closed Thread