HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Three Stars of the Year

Old
04-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Aerolanche

vCash: 500
Three Stars of the Year

This is my take on the three stars of the season for the Avs:

Star #3: Paul Stastny

As much as I want to give the 3rd star to Milan Hejduk, I have to give Paul the nod here. The 20 game point streak, all the big goals and assists down the stretch, the overall consistency, and his overall improvement--even from game to game--was exciting to watch. As I've said before, I can't wait to see his progress next season. If there is one type of player that can survive the sophomore slump, its Paul.

Star #2: Peter Budaj

If, if, if...If only Peter Budaj was recognized as the starting goaltender earlier in the season. What a difference that would have made. It is so nice to finally have a solid goaltender that we can rely on. Ever since Patrick Roy left, the goaltending of this team never has allowed me to comfortably watch a game because ANY shot on Aebischer or Theodore has the potential to go in. Budaj does his job and shuts the door when it needs to be shut. I would like to see Budaj keep up his recent consistency for next season, if he does, then we will have nothing to worry about.

Star #1: Joe Sakic

Super Joe is absolutely unbelievable. Sakic, even at age 37, is still one of the most dangerous players of all time. Listening to coaches of the opposing teams, i.e. AV from Vancouver: "Sakic was absolutely possessed tonight", says it all. Any time he has the puck, a scoring threat is imminent. I'm not even sure how to explain how much he means to this team. Not only is he the leader in the room and on the scoreboard, but he personally makes everyone around him better. His desparation and determination has shown young guys like Wojtek Wolski and Paul Stastny first hand what it takes, and it's done them wonders. Even a guy like Ian Laperriere has said he has benefited from playing with and watching Super Joe. And the best part is, he has said he wants to play in the 2010 Olympics, and he also said he is going to remain an Avalanche! Life is good.

http://www.aspechockey.com
Avalanche SPECulation, prospects and news.
Aerolanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche View Post
This is my take on the three stars of the season for the Avs:

Star #3: Paul Stastny

As much as I want to give the 3rd star to Milan Hejduk, I have to give Paul the nod here. The 20 game point streak, all the big goals and assists down the stretch, the overall consistency, and his overall improvement--even from game to game--was exciting to watch. As I've said before, I can't wait to see his progress next season. If there is one type of player that can survive the sophomore slump, its Paul.

Star #2: Peter Budaj

If, if, if...If only Peter Budaj was recognized as the starting goaltender earlier in the season. What a difference that would have made. It is so nice to finally have a solid goaltender that we can rely on. Ever since Patrick Roy left, the goaltending of this team never has allowed me to comfortably watch a game because ANY shot on Aebischer or Theodore has the potential to go in. Budaj does his job and shuts the door when it needs to be shut. I would like to see Budaj keep up his recent consistency for next season, if he does, then we will have nothing to worry about.

Star #1: Joe Sakic

Super Joe is absolutely unbelievable. Sakic, even at age 37, is still one of the most dangerous players of all time. Listening to coaches of the opposing teams, i.e. AV from Vancouver: "Sakic was absolutely possessed tonight", says it all. Any time he has the puck, a scoring threat is imminent. I'm not even sure how to explain how much he means to this team. Not only is he the leader in the room and on the scoreboard, but he personally makes everyone around him better. His desparation and determination has shown young guys like Wojtek Wolski and Paul Stastny first hand what it takes, and it's done them wonders. Even a guy like Ian Laperriere has said he has benefited from playing with and watching Super Joe. And the best part is, he has said he wants to play in the 2010 Olympics, and he also said he is going to remain an Avalanche! Life is good.
Those would be my picks. Hejduk definitely turned it on down the strech, but Stastny was the better player all year.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Bam Beet*

1st Star: Joe Sakic

2nd Star: Paul Stastny

3rd Star: Andrew Brunette

HM: Hejduk, Budaj

Overall those three were the most consistent over the course of the season. Budaj had his ups and downs and so did Hejduk earlier in the year.

Bam Beet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 03:39 PM
NHL33*

I'll have to agree with Sakic, Budaj, and Stastny in that order.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Golden Foppa

1. Joe Sakic
2. Paul Stastny
3. Milan Hejduk

I have a hard time leaving Budaj off, but the Duke regained his allstar form this year which could be huge next season.

Golden Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
I agree with the original poster :

#1-Sakic
#2-Budaj
#3-Stastny
(#4-Bruno, #5-Hejduk)

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 04:07 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Can we please please extend this list to 5?

1.) Joe Sakic
2.) Paul Stastny
3.) Peter Budaj
4.) Andrew Brunette
5.) Milan Hejduk

The last 2 deserve to be mentioned among any discussion of star players for our team this year.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 04:18 PM
AvsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
Can we please please extend this list to 5?

1.) Joe Sakic
2.) Paul Stastny
3.) Peter Budaj
4.) Andrew Brunette
5.) Milan Hejduk

The last 2 deserve to be mentioned among any discussion of star players for our team this year.

Agreed. Andrew Brunette with 80 points blows my mind, and it's nice to see Milan Hejduk back in the 35 goal range again.

Uninformed question: Was Budaj THAT good? I didn't hear or watch hardly any Avs games this year, and you just never notice much about the goalie without that...what can we look forward to next year? Is our goalie trouble solved for now?

AvsGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 04:46 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy View Post
Uninformed question: Was Budaj THAT good? I didn't hear or watch hardly any Avs games this year, and you just never notice much about the goalie without that...what can we look forward to next year? Is our goalie trouble solved for now?
To add to that - wasn't Budaj a little inconsistent earlier in the season? Was injuries + poor goaltending the reason for the Avs early struggles? (the Avs swung up and down the standings).

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Aerolanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
To add to that - wasn't Budaj a little inconsistent earlier in the season? Was injuries + poor goaltending the reason for the Avs early struggles? (the Avs swung up and down the standings).
Yep, which is the reason why he wasn't the star of the year in my mind.

Aerolanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 04:53 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Even down the stretch Budaj was good, but not great. He wasnt stealing games left and right. Bruno worked hard all season and consistently produced.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 04:54 PM
bling

Send a message via MSN to bling
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
The Avs kept trying to force Jose Theodore into the starting goalies role and it was his inability to win games that created the inconsistency of the goal tending position.

Budaj did improve his play when he was given more and more starts and allowed to assume the sarting goalie role when Pierre Lacroix's Jose Theodore experiment was deemed a failure.

Injuries to key defensive players contributed to the overall poor play early in the year but the biggest problem was once again the uncertainty in goal.

bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Peter Budaj has impressed me with his growth this season. Not only has he played more games this year, but he's put up better numbers this year as compared to last year with a poorer defensive club.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote