HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Help Wanted - goaltender - ALL PANTHER GOALIE SPECULATION HERE

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Heimy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFanatic12 View Post
Biron signed a two year deal with philly.
My bad...how much did he get?

Old
04-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Which is why I added Mezei. Of he's a lot more than that, I'd rather take a look at Nittymaki.
Mezei isn't worth much at all right now.

Old
04-08-2007, 10:32 PM
PanthersFanatic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimy View Post
My bad...how much did he get?
2 years 7 million dollar deal . so 3.5 a year

Old
04-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimy View Post
Biron is a similar case. He use to be a long-time starter until Miller outplayed/replaced him. He went to the Flyers for a 2nd and (I believe) is still unsigned. His last contract was for $2.1M...less than 1/2 what Fernandez earns.
Biron is a very different case. He never had the success that Fernandez has, and was really only the #1 in Buffalo because they had no one else after Hasek left. A 2nd for him is about right, an OK #1 but not really solid. Fernandez is certainly a better goaltender though and is worth more, even if Minnesota does feel they have to move him.

Old
04-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
If they want to sign Backstrom, they'll need to move Fernandez... quickly. They have $34M tied up on 14 players including Fernandez. That leaves $14M to resign their RFA's, fill out their roster AND resign Backstrom. It can't be done without making major sacrifices.
But we won't be the only team knocking on their door. They will probably get what they ask for, or pretty close to it.

Old
04-09-2007, 12:06 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Backstrom has to be re-signed before we go crazy after Fernandez. IF Backstrom does go back to Minnesota, then Minnesota would be in a position where Fernandez has a lower trade value, as they would be looking to unload his contract. Anything more than 2nd would be too much.

I think Backstrom will test the market since Minnesota has 1 goalie with a big contract and another young hotshot who is ready to play now. It would be foolish for him and his agent to sign in Minnesota under those circumstances without seeing what else is out there. He has only been there for 1 season so I can't see loyalty being that much of an issue.

Old
04-09-2007, 12:10 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
But we won't be the only team knocking on their door. They will probably get what they ask for, or pretty close to it.
How many teams need a starting goalie and have the cap room to take on that contract, not to mention the UFA goalies and one of the SJ guys.

Old
04-09-2007, 12:16 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Biron is a very different case. He never had the success that Fernandez has, and was really only the #1 in Buffalo because they had no one else after Hasek left. A 2nd for him is about right, an OK #1 but not really solid. Fernandez is certainly a better goaltender though and is worth more, even if Minnesota does feel they have to move him.
Fernandez has never been able to hold the number 1 job either. Split time with Roloson for a long time, and then this year lost his job to Backstrom.

However, the Biron trade was a completely different situation than a potential Fernandez trade.

Old
04-09-2007, 12:54 AM
Phenomenon

Mika Noronen has been very good in the Russian League and will be a UFA next summer. He is still a young goalie and has at least similar potential as Biron.

Old
04-09-2007, 02:41 AM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
I think Backstrom will test the market since Minnesota has 1 goalie with a big contract and another young hotshot who is ready to play now. It would be foolish for him and his agent to sign in Minnesota under those circumstances without seeing what else is out there. He has only been there for 1 season so I can't see loyalty being that much of an issue.
And asking loyalty after not giving fair chance even being number 1 goalie after great games(in the start of season Bäckström outplayed Fernandez, but still he got benched and wouldn't have ever played so much without Manny's injury) is even more foolish. Their staff even did say Bäckström would have played in AHL without Harding's injury. So I think testing which teams really wants him would be just fair. Not seeing it only money issue(Nikke isn't greedy person at all).

Old
04-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Bure1096

Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
gigure or nabakov... backstrom has 1 good season under his belt... i would need to see more consistancy. giggy and nabby have been tested and i would feel safer with them in net. ideal goaltending duties next year would be gigure and anderson, just b/c i do not want to part with the core players. Plus Gigure proved that he can be a game breaker when aniheim was on that cup run. pay him 5 a year with incentives.

Old
04-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Bure1096

theres a thread on the rumors and free agents section about trade between us and SJ... some of us have commented on it and just wanted to know what you guys thought of this proposal.

To SJ: Salei, Gratton, 3rd rd pick

To FLA: Nabakov, Bell

thoughts, criticisms?

Old
04-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Tobakecookies*

how about trading Van Ryn instead of Salei?

Old
04-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Bure1096

haha why you hatin on van ryn? we'd save more money also if we traded salei... gotta give somethin to get something.

Old
04-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Gratton and Nabokov both have NTC's. Not likely to happen.

Also, why is everyone so quick to trade Salei? He's a solid defenseman, he was one of the few scoring earlier in the year when noone else was at times, and he signed here after Louie was traded...he wants to be here! Don't understand why people are eager to trade him. He's a lot more responsible defensively than Semenov, Montador, and Mezei. And certainly stays more healthy than Mezei.

04-09-2007, 01:11 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobakecookies View Post
how about trading Van Ryn instead of Salei?
So we lose Van Ryn and Salei can have a long holiday in the penalty box again?

I still wish we had traded Van Ryn for Jack Johnson. Considering all it took for LA was Tim freakin Gleason.

JSG would be the best option, and if he is available then we should sign him whatever the cost (as long as it isn't ridiuclous). I quite like Toskala too.

Old
04-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Mogo
#GameOver

vCash: 814
Fernandez isnt going anywhere. He's relatives with Lemaire

Old
04-09-2007, 03:48 PM
PanthersFanatic12

We do need a top goalie . how many you guys think , Auld can return to Auld from the first half of the season ? I think he can , i mean u just dont lose it over night . I think on top of confidence being low , he was battling injuries in the second half of the season. Maybe with a good summer of training , a rejuvenated Auld , can be good for us . Will see what form he returns to camp . I think he should be our backup , and if he shows to be real sharp in camp , he can be 1b.

Old
04-09-2007, 04:27 PM
OttawaGM

Redden + Gerber for Horton + 1 D (Salei, Van Ryn. Allen etc).

Old
04-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Miami Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
Horton = core player (we don’t want to part w/ core players). I think you can figure the rest out. Additionally, we already have a solid defensive corps and I am just not feeling Gerber (especially with all of the other options available). Why would it interest us to give up one of our promising core players who has made large strides this year for Gerber when there are so many other goalies out there? We really don’t NEED Redden although I would welcome him with open arms. (sorry I couldn’t finish this up; have to go pick up pizza)

Old
04-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Why would the Pantehrs want to take on over 9 million in salary? People really need to think logically before just throwing players names together and calling it a proposal.

Old
04-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Why would the Pantehrs want to take on over 9 million in salary? People really need to think logically before just throwing players names together and calling it a proposal.
Redden is not even on a good contract. PASS.. big time, plus we dont want your trash (martin gerber)

Old
04-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
And why on top of that would we want to throw in one of Allen, Salei, or Van Ryn?

Redden's a great defenseman, but with the plethera of quality guys we have, with Bouw and Allen on the top line, we don't need Redden, imo. Especially at that contract.

We don't want Gerber!!! We should just keep Belfour instead of trading away a guy like Horton and one of our better defenseman for a guy who isn't as good as Eddie at 41.

All that aside...NO, you can't have Horton people!

Old
04-09-2007, 07:08 PM
OttawaGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
We should just keep Belfour instead of trading away a guy like Horton and one of our better defenseman for a guy who isn't as good as Eddie at 41.
You're telling me a Belfour is going to get you to the post season next year when he couldn't this year? Or are you hoping for another losing season? I don't think there will be too many goalies available this summer when July 1st hits. That said the value isn't there unless Redden would be willing to sign an extension (which I was assuming he would).

Old
04-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
You're telling me a Belfour is going to get you to the post season next year when he couldn't this year? Or are you hoping for another losing season? I don't think there will be too many goalies available this summer when July 1st hits. That said the value isn't there unless Redden would be willing to sign an extension (which I was assuming he would).
Belfour was not the reason we missed the playoffs. Actually, he was the only reason we were even close at the end. Not winning in November and an enemic offense made us miss the playoffs.

Closed Thread