HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Help Wanted - goaltender - ALL PANTHER GOALIE SPECULATION HERE

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-09-2007, 07:58 PM
  #51
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,379
vCash: 500
Awards:
Al Montoya anyone?

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
04-09-2007, 08:35 PM
  #52
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,895
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Al Montoya anyone?
I'd love to trade for Montoya. What would it take?

None of the following:
Bouwmeester
Olesz
Horton
Weiss
Allen
Jokinen
Frolik

I may be missing someone, but I couldn't see us parting with any of those.

Rattrick is offline  
Old
04-09-2007, 08:43 PM
  #53
Dropkick Alex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Amherst, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,231
vCash: 500
Why do people keep throwing Horton into trade proposals? He's 21 years old I believe and is already a 30-30 guy...

Dropkick Alex is offline  
Old
04-09-2007, 09:08 PM
  #54
Laus723
#CatsAreComing
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
You're telling me a Belfour is going to get you to the post season next year when he couldn't this year? Or are you hoping for another losing season? I don't think there will be too many goalies available this summer when July 1st hits. That said the value isn't there unless Redden would be willing to sign an extension (which I was assuming he would).
You're tealling me Gerber will? My point was, why lose a guy like Horton and one of our defenseman that have been in the system and therefore know it, plus they gel with the others at this point, for a gut who's not at all better than Belfour is at 41, and overpay Redden to learn the system?

Eddie wasn't the starter until later in the season, and as Rattrick said, he wasn't the problem, the offense was. Defense wasn't the problem in October and November, the offense was. Offense is what needs the most work, if Martin can get Giguere, Backstrom, etc. or a goalie via trade that's not subpar like Gerber, he'll sign Belfour. I guess you didn't see his numbers this season? Especially in the last quarter when Martin was really playing him, including his multiple games played stretch.

Moving Horton doesn't solve anything, it hurts things!

__________________
Future now!
Laus723 is offline  
Old
04-09-2007, 09:27 PM
  #55
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Plato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
Country: Greece
Posts: 9,854
vCash: 33000
garon?

__________________
Il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.
Plato is offline  
Old
04-09-2007, 09:28 PM
  #56
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Plato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
Country: Greece
Posts: 9,854
vCash: 33000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
I'd love to trade for Montoya. What would it take?

None of the following:
Bouwmeester
Olesz
Horton
Weiss
Allen
Jokinen
Frolik

I may be missing someone, but I couldn't see us parting with any of those.
every1 on that list

Plato is offline  
Old
04-09-2007, 09:38 PM
  #57
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: EVIL EMPIRE
Country: United Nations
Posts: 58,648
vCash: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Didn't they get a first from Edmonton for Roloson?
The got a first for Roloson and then traded it and O'Sullivan for Dematra

__________________
"If the Detroit Red Wings are defying gravity" by consistently contending without the benefit of high draft picks, "the Edmonton Oilers are defying lift.

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline  
Old
04-09-2007, 10:17 PM
  #58
RCGP
Go Panthers
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyutin 51 View Post
every1 on that list
okay.......

RCGP is offline  
Old
04-09-2007, 10:22 PM
  #59
PantherBlood6*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
You're telling me a Belfour is going to get you to the post season next year when he couldn't this year? Or are you hoping for another losing season? I don't think there will be too many goalies available this summer when July 1st hits. That said the value isn't there unless Redden would be willing to sign an extension (which I was assuming he would).
first of all - belfour went 27-17-10 this year and florida overall went 35-31-16. care to tell us how that is a losing season?

secondly, just to humor you, where exactly is martin freaking gerber going to get us? he's decent, but his trade value is negative because of the contract. redden has struggled this year and his contract too diminishes his value greatly. we don't want your trash. sorry.

...and if you admit the value isn't there, why offer it?

PantherBlood6* is offline  
Old
04-09-2007, 10:41 PM
  #60
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
Backstrom has to be re-signed before we go crazy after Fernandez. IF Backstrom does go back to Minnesota, then Minnesota would be in a position where Fernandez has a lower trade value, as they would be looking to unload his contract. Anything more than 2nd would be too much.

I think Backstrom will test the market since Minnesota has 1 goalie with a big contract and another young hotshot who is ready to play now. It would be foolish for him and his agent to sign in Minnesota under those circumstances without seeing what else is out there. He has only been there for 1 season so I can't see loyalty being that much of an issue.
The Wild will never trade a still relatively young solid #1 netminder for a 2nd. Never happen. No team would. They can and will do better than that.

Dread Clawz is offline  
Old
04-09-2007, 10:44 PM
  #61
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
How many teams need a starting goalie and have the cap room to take on that contract, not to mention the UFA goalies and one of the SJ guys.
That is why teams like Boston, Detroit, Tampa, etc., who would be out of the running for a UFA like Giguere, would be better candidates to land a goalie through a trade, like Fernandez. In trades you can get rid of some salary.

Dread Clawz is offline  
Old
04-09-2007, 10:45 PM
  #62
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
Fernandez has never been able to hold the number 1 job either. Split time with Roloson for a long time, and then this year lost his job to Backstrom.

However, the Biron trade was a completely different situation than a potential Fernandez trade.
Yes but to be fair to Fernandez, Minny had two starting goaltenders for several years.

Dread Clawz is offline  
Old
04-09-2007, 10:50 PM
  #63
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFanatic12 View Post
We do need a top goalie . how many you guys think , Auld can return to Auld from the first half of the season ? I think he can , i mean u just dont lose it over night . I think on top of confidence being low , he was battling injuries in the second half of the season. Maybe with a good summer of training , a rejuvenated Auld , can be good for us . Will see what form he returns to camp . I think he should be our backup , and if he shows to be real sharp in camp , he can be 1b.
Sorry this may sound cruel to Alex, but I don't want to give him a second chance. I just want him out of here.

Dread Clawz is offline  
Old
04-10-2007, 01:22 AM
  #64
RCGP
Go Panthers
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
The Wild will never trade a still relatively young solid #1 netminder for a 2nd. Never happen. No team would. They can and will do better than that.
33 isn't young and he has a 4.33M cap hit for 2 more seasons. Re-signing Backstrom creates a situation where they pretty much have to move Fernandez, thus why I think re-signing Backstrom doesn't make any sense. Minnesota is close to the cap as it is with little relief coming in the offseason, they would be hard pressed to take alot of salary back in return.

They have about 6M in room right now, assuming their RFAs sign for their previous amount (which they will probably increase). Lets say they give Backstrom 4M, and they still have to fill out their roster with atleast 3 more players, lets say at .750 each so 2.25M. This would put them over with Fernadez's contract, thus forcing them to deal him to create cap space. In this scenario they could take back a player making say 2M and get under the cap, but in real life they will have to give their RFAs pay raises (such as PM Bouchard, Mikko Koivu and Kurtis Foster) so they would be unable to take very much salary back at all.

I expect Minnesota to basically stand pat this offseason and use young players to replace departing veterans, as last year seemed to be their big free agent spending spree.

Fernandez has also never been able to hold the starting job outright, and has inflated statistics from Minnesota's system. If he costs more than a 2nd, then I'm not interested.


Last edited by RCGP: 04-10-2007 at 01:43 AM.
RCGP is offline  
Old
04-10-2007, 08:32 AM
  #65
Egblad
I May Be The Stig
 
Egblad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 9,117
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Sorry this may sound cruel to Alex, but I don't want to give him a second chance. I just want him out of here.
it sounds cruel because it is cruel. Alex was amazing at the start of the season. There has to be some reason why he went to crap. Yes I feel we should sign a good goaltender for insurance; but Alex I feel deserves another chance. I wonder if Martin feels the same way.

Egblad is offline  
Old
04-10-2007, 09:16 AM
  #66
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,895
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey View Post
it sounds cruel because it is cruel. Alex was amazing at the start of the season. There has to be some reason why he went to crap. Yes I feel we should sign a good goaltender for insurance; but Alex I feel deserves another chance. I wonder if Martin feels the same way.
I guess I'll join the cruel crowd and say that watching Auld play when he was off his game was honestly one of the worst things I've ever had to endure as a Panther fan. No doubt, he put on some of the worst goaltending performances I have ever seen in my life. Having said that, it's tough to just give the guy another chance with those memories still stuck in my mind.

Rattrick is offline  
Old
04-10-2007, 09:35 AM
  #67
Acadmus
Registered User
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey View Post
it sounds cruel because it is cruel. Alex was amazing at the start of the season. There has to be some reason why he went to crap. Yes I feel we should sign a good goaltender for insurance; but Alex I feel deserves another chance. I wonder if Martin feels the same way.
The only reason I disagree is because we don't have a fallback, and I don't want to be watching other teams in the playoffs next season in case Auld doesn't work out.

Otherwise I'd give him a second chance - it's not that he doesn't deserve one.

Acadmus is offline  
Old
04-10-2007, 10:36 AM
  #68
wpring
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
I still say bring back Eddie as the number 1 and let Auld/Anderson/some other 1b goalie compete to steal the starting job from him. Eddie can get us to the playoffs if we play well in front of him, and there are not many goalies I'd trust more in big playoff games (assuming he's healthy). I think our FA money is better spent on quality forwards.

wpring is offline  
Old
04-10-2007, 11:00 AM
  #69
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,379
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
I'd love to trade for Montoya. What would it take?

None of the following:
Bouwmeester
Olesz
Horton
Weiss
Allen
Jokinen
Frolik

I may be missing someone, but I couldn't see us parting with any of those.
Not a whole lot left. I do like Stewart. Not sure if I do would trade Montoya for him though.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
04-10-2007, 11:15 AM
  #70
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,895
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Not a whole lot left. I do like Stewart. Not sure if I do would trade Montoya for him though.
I know we are not GMs, and rarely do trades even slightly resemble what fans come up with but it's still fun to try to peice something together.

How about Stewart and Van Ryn for Montoya?

My thinking here is that the Panthers have an glut of defensemen and if Welch is to someday fulfill his top 4 potential, somebody has to go.

That would make our defense look like this:
Bouw-Allen
Salei-Welch
Semenov-Murphy

Rattrick is offline  
Old
04-10-2007, 11:19 AM
  #71
Phenomenon
Registered User
 
Phenomenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,170
vCash: 500
Juuso Riksman from the Finnish league has been very good for past two seasons (comparable to Nicklas Bäckström when he played in the same league) and could be worth trying as the backup or 3rd stringer. Low risk - high reward IMO.

Phenomenon is offline  
Old
04-10-2007, 06:01 PM
  #72
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey View Post
it sounds cruel because it is cruel. Alex was amazing at the start of the season. There has to be some reason why he went to crap. Yes I feel we should sign a good goaltender for insurance; but Alex I feel deserves another chance. I wonder if Martin feels the same way.
The sun even shines on a dog's *** somedays. Jim Carey also won the Vezina Trophy.

Dread Clawz is offline  
Old
04-11-2007, 12:59 AM
  #73
RCGP
Go Panthers
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey View Post
it sounds cruel because it is cruel. Alex was amazing at the start of the season. There has to be some reason why he went to crap. Yes I feel we should sign a good goaltender for insurance; but Alex I feel deserves another chance. I wonder if Martin feels the same way.
He played well is stretches in Vancouver as well. I would atleast bring him back to compete for the back up job in camp.

RCGP is offline  
Old
04-11-2007, 07:28 AM
  #74
Wregget
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
He played well is stretches in Vancouver as well. I would atleast bring him back to compete for the back up job in camp.
And if he loses the backup job where do you send him with his 1.475 Million dollar salary?

JM will make the decision before June 30th if he wants him in Florida next year or not. Yes or No.

I agree with PanthersHockey. Give him one more chance.

Wregget is offline  
Old
04-11-2007, 09:34 AM
  #75
ThorntonFan19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,803
vCash: 500
I'll trade you toskala for some draft picks

ThorntonFan19 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.