HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBS News 4: Sakic re-signs with the Avs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-09-2007, 04:25 PM
  #76
Commander Enigma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
Sakic gets a one million dollar raise....from 5.75 to 6.75 for next season.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5627686
The link no longer has that figure, though it sounds about right.

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 04:28 PM
  #77
Jori
Registered User
 
Jori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 20,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkboy View Post
The link no longer has that figure, though it sounds about right.
Hmmm weird

__________________
Colorado Avalanche Prospects-- News and updates on the future of the Colorado Avalanche!
Colorado's Future -- Team * Manning * MacKinnon * Tulowitzki?
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 04:37 PM
  #78
Coug555
Registered User
 
Coug555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dana Point, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,918
vCash: 500
The link says 6.75 million

Coug555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 04:37 PM
  #79
Colorado Sports Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 5,314
vCash: 500
that figure is still there on the link I clicked.

Colorado Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 04:38 PM
  #80
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHockeyFan View Post
Actually, you could argue that he signed for less than he's worth.
Again, if I repeat what I said in the past discussion, if you look at the cap numbers of this year's top 10 scorers, it looks fairly in line. In fact, Sakic's cap number is higher than most:

Crosby - $3.7M
Thornton - $6.67M
Lecavalier - $6.9M
Heatley - $4.5M
St. Louis - $5.3M
Hossa - $6.0M
Jagr - $5.0M
Savard - $5.0M
Briere - $5.0M

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 04:40 PM
  #81
Colorado Sports Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 5,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Again, if I repeat what I said in the past discussion, if you look at the cap numbers of this year's top 10 scorers, it looks fairly in line. In fact, Sakic's cap number is higher than most:

Crosby - $3.7M
Thornton - $6.67M
Lecavalier - $6.9M
Heatley - $4.5M
St. Louis - $5.3M
Hossa - $6.0M
Jagr - $5.0M
Savard - $5.0M
Briere - $5.0M

-AB
Briere's number is gonna go into the 6's this off season though.

Colorado Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 04:41 PM
  #82
Pure
Registered User
 
Pure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,947
vCash: 500
Crosby doesn't count. Jagr is getting paid 10 mill (half is paid by washington I believe). Savard/Briere, dispite their numbers are not nearly as good. Heatley is severly underpaid. But remember salary rises every year. Heatley, Thornton, Briere, Hossa now would all be demanding over 7 mill easily.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 04:41 PM
  #83
Commander Enigma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coug555 View Post
The link says 6.75 million
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul755 View Post
that figure is still there on the link I clicked.
Weird, it's still not there when I click on it. Is anyone else not seeing it? Maybe something funky with my browser... anyway I believe the $6.75 million figure. Anyone know when the cap number for next season will be officially announced?

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 04:42 PM
  #84
Coug555
Registered User
 
Coug555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dana Point, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,918
vCash: 500
Wait now the number in the link is gone

Coug555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 04:44 PM
  #85
Commander Enigma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,413
vCash: 500
Cue Twilight Zone music.

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 04:44 PM
  #86
Pure
Registered User
 
Pure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,947
vCash: 500
I'm still seeing it.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 04:44 PM
  #87
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
Crosby doesn't count. Jagr is getting paid 10 mill (half is paid by washington I believe). Savard/Briere, dispite their numbers are not nearly as good. Heatley is severly underpaid. But remember salary rises every year. Heatley, Thornton, Briere, Hossa now would all be demanding over 7 mill easily.
Salary cap is what counts.

How would you compare Sakic's salary to other players of his caliber, if not by current salary? Yes, there are a couple of underpaid guys out there, but then again, you have players like Yashin and Richards who are horribly overpaid, so I think that sort of thing works itself out.

Sakic is being paid in line with his production. No more, no less.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 04:46 PM
  #88
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul755 View Post
Briere's number is gonna go into the 6's this off season though.
As it should. And since he produces at about the same rate as Sakic, and he'll likely make in the 6's.....isn't Sakic being paid what he's worth?

My point being, how is this a 'discount'?

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 04:47 PM
  #89
Burnaby_Joe*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,271
vCash: 500
It doesn't show up in the link.

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 04:50 PM
  #90
Pure
Registered User
 
Pure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Salary cap is what counts.

How would you compare Sakic's salary to other players of his caliber, if not by current salary? Yes, there are a couple of underpaid guys out there, but then again, you have players like Yashin and Richards who are horribly overpaid, so I think that sort of thing works itself out.

Sakic is being paid in line with his production. No more, no less.

-AB
I guess we have to agree to disagree because I'm more so arguing from the perspective that if Sakic tested free agency he would be paid according to his market value. That value would be over 7.5 mill easily if its a one year deal. This is of course flawed because its a reasonable estimation. Your argument is based on his salary compared to other top players which is also flawed because salary is hard to compare year to year with the change in market.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 04:54 PM
  #91
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988
 
Classic Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 33,700
vCash: 500
Awards:
That's a lot of cash but Sakic is worth every penny. My impossible dream was that he'd sign with New Jersey in the offseason... but that was impossible.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 05:00 PM
  #92
ColoradoHockeyFan
Registered User
 
ColoradoHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Denver area
Country: United States
Posts: 9,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Again, if I repeat what I said in the past discussion, if you look at the cap numbers of this year's top 10 scorers, it looks fairly in line. In fact, Sakic's cap number is higher than most:

Crosby - $3.7M
Thornton - $6.67M
Lecavalier - $6.9M
Heatley - $4.5M
St. Louis - $5.3M
Hossa - $6.0M
Jagr - $5.0M
Savard - $5.0M
Briere - $5.0M

-AB
I guess I was imagining what he would have been offered on the open market.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not suggesting that the figure is way off or anything... I was just speculating that he could have gotten even more. It doesn't seem unreasonable to suggest that... and I don't think we're really arguing over much here.

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 05:02 PM
  #93
ColoradoHockeyFan
Registered User
 
ColoradoHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Denver area
Country: United States
Posts: 9,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkboy View Post
Weird, it's still not there when I click on it. Is anyone else not seeing it? Maybe something funky with my browser... anyway I believe the $6.75 million figure. Anyone know when the cap number for next season will be officially announced?
Ok, I do now see the new text in the link:

Quote:
The Avalanche announced today that captain Joe Sakic has signed a one-year contract worth $6.75 million to play his 19th season with the team.

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 05:02 PM
  #94
Bubba Thudd
Moderator
#AvsNewAge
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Avaland
Posts: 12,953
vCash: 500
I think it's a fair amount. Not a home-town discount, IMO, but not an overpayment, either.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 05:03 PM
  #95
Roman Tanner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mgmt. Excuseville
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Again, if I repeat what I said in the past discussion, if you look at the cap numbers of this year's top 10 scorers, it looks fairly in line. In fact, Sakic's cap number is higher than most:

Crosby - $3.7M
Thornton - $6.67M
Lecavalier - $6.9M
Heatley - $4.5M
St. Louis - $5.3M
Hossa - $6.0M
Jagr - $5.0M
Savard - $5.0M
Briere - $5.0M

-AB
To be at all comparative, you'd have to see what each of these players would get right now in unrestricted free agency at current cap levels with no entry level restrictions.

Then you compare that number to Joe Sakic's.

Then I believe you'll see the disconnect.

Roman Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 05:10 PM
  #96
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
I guess we have to agree to disagree because I'm more so arguing from the perspective that if Sakic tested free agency he would be paid according to his market value. That value would be over 7.5 mill easily if its a one year deal. This is of course flawed because its a reasonable estimation. Your argument is based on his salary compared to other top players which is also flawed because salary is hard to compare year to year with the change in market.
Datsyuk just signed for $6.7M per, and his production is similar to Sakic's.

I mean, the numbers are right there. I suppose we can sit and wait to see what Drury and Briere get, but I suspect you'll see them in the same range.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 05:11 PM
  #97
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Tanner View Post
To be at all comparative, you'd have to see what each of these players would get right now in unrestricted free agency at current cap levels with no entry level restrictions.

Then you compare that number to Joe Sakic's.

Then I believe you'll see the disconnect.
Well, Datsyuk, Briere, Drury - all are up for contracts, all produce at around Sakic's level, and I suspect you'll see them all sign for something in the range that Sakic got. Maybe a half mil more or less, but in the range.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 05:11 PM
  #98
Bubba Thudd
Moderator
#AvsNewAge
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Avaland
Posts: 12,953
vCash: 500
But, could Datsyuk, Drury, or Briere carry this team on their back like Sakic does?

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 05:12 PM
  #99
Walzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: somewhere in Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,307
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
I assume you mean me...
Pori...Jori...it's all the same

glad to see Sakic at least another year

Walzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 05:13 PM
  #100
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I think it's a fair amount. Not a home-town discount, IMO, but not an overpayment, either.
I completely agree.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.