HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBS News 4: Sakic re-signs with the Avs

Old
04-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walzy View Post
Pori...Jori...it's all the same

glad to see Sakic at least another year
Yeah Pori, like Balzy said, what's in a name?

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Foppa2118

Sakic is one of my favorite players, but I don't really get why he asked for a $1 M raise. I guess he's worth it after the way he played down the stretch, and we do have plenty of cap space next year, but after his bonus hurt the team with the cap so much last year, I thought he'd only ask for the same number, or maybe even a little less. I guess there's still a chance that number isn't accurate, as the DP has taken out that number in their article.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 05:19 PM
avalanche_country

vCash: 500
he deserves every penny he gets

He could have gotten more I am sure

and i do not understand why he was "supposed" to take a homtown discount. It would be a slap in his face for even asking that IMO after what he has done and continues to do for this franchise.

avalanche_country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Sakic is one of my favorite players, but I don't really get why he asked for a $1 M raise. I guess he's worth it after the way he played down the stretch, and we do have plenty of cap space next year, but after his bonus hurt the team with the cap so much last year, I thought he'd only ask for the same number, or maybe even a little less. I guess there's still a chance that number isn't accurate, as the DP has taken out that number in their article.
Maybe he got a million more than he made last year after including the bonus! Maybe he's getting 9.2 or whatever that works out to?!?

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 05:21 PM
ColoradoHockeyFan

Sakic is on AM 560 now.

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Datsyuk just signed for $6.7M per, and his production is similar to Sakic's.

I mean, the numbers are right there. I suppose we can sit and wait to see what Drury and Briere get, but I suspect you'll see them in the same range.

-AB
Datsyuk signed a multi-year contract, and usually those contracts are cheaper on a per year basis because anything can happen to a player over the course of 5-6 years. And at the end of Datsyuk's contract, I highly doubt he will put up 100 points like sakic is this year. I actually don't see any of Drury, Briere putting up numbers as high as Sakic did this year when they are at the end of the their new contracts. So based on that, I would easily pay him 7.5 for just one year.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Bam Beet*

Sakic deserves every bit of it. Not really a hometown discount but if he were to test the free agent market he would probably get close to the max contract if it were for only 1 year.

Bam Beet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Datsyuk just signed for $6.7M per, and his production is similar to Sakic's.
In the regular season anyway.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Coug555

6.75 is back up on Denver Post

Coug555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Mules
Waiting for hockey

Thank you Joe!

Is there any talk about NTC?? I know that he probably won't get traded, but ya never know.........

Mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 06:04 PM
jaisen73

The 6.75 million is a good happy medium between his salary of this year and what he made total with his salary + the bonus.

If you factor in the bonus being off the books, the Avs now have Sakic under contract with a net savings in their cap space.

jaisen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 06:07 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

If Sakic decided to test the UFA market I guarantee he'd be offered 7+ for a 1 or 2 years deal. Datsyuk has similar production in the regular season with better linemates and is horrible comparatively in the playoffs. Briere and Drury will get 6+ million multi year deals if they test the UFA market too. Sakic's contract is perfectly in line with other elite centers, Datsyuk is just paid a bit high IMO.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Commander Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHockeyFan View Post
Ok, I do now see the new text in the link:
Ah, the rift in the fabric of space and time is apparently closed. I see it too.

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 06:54 PM
NMAvsman

Is it a bit high? Nope.....it is right at or below market value. Sakic is the ultimate captain. To lowball him in any way after our past experience is pathetic plain and simple. Wow, we are spoiled here. We still have money to play with. Watch what some of the current FA's get. We may pay hannan or another supposed #1 d man around 5 mil. And some of us here still want sakic for 4-5 mil. Ugh. He carries this team plain and simple. Played ALL 82 games. 100 points.....are ya kiddin me!?! Rather have Crosby? Watch what he gets paid here in a few years and this will look like a steal in comparison. Is he old? Sure.....but still producing with the best of them. It is good to see the money got to someone who is a symbol of professionalism in today's sports world. He deserves every penny.

I wrote this on the team website....man that place drives me crazy.

NMAvsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Roman Tanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic's-A-Legend View Post
Sakic deserves every bit of it. Not really a hometown discount but if he were to test the free agent market he would probably get close to the max contract if it were for only 1 year.
so then it is a hometown discount.....that's a direct contradiction....lol...

Roman Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Aerolanche

http://www.aspechockey.com
Avalanche SPECulation, prospects and news.
Aerolanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Hopefully Sakic took hometown discount, because if he didn't, it will be very price.

From denverpost

Quote:
The Avalanche announced today that captain Joe Sakic has signed a one-year contract worth $6.75 million to play his 19th season with the team.
No hometown discount.

Last edited by Colorado Avalanche: 04-09-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 08:59 PM
NHL33*

Why does he need to give a hometown discount?

$6.75 for the production is fair. He'll sign to contracts based on production and he feels is right...I have no problems. I was expecting $6.25 million earlier on, but the way he ended the season, $6.75 million isn't much of a surprise. Good for Sakic.

We have him back for next year with cash to spend, and that's all that matters.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Tanner View Post
so then it is a hometown discount.....that's a direct contradiction....lol...
No that would be taking 450 from Vancouver.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL33 View Post
Why does he need to give a hometown discount?

$6.75 for the production is fair. He'll sign to contracts based on production and he feels is right...I have no problems. I was expecting $6.25 million earlier on, but the way he ended the season, $6.75 million isn't much of a surprise. Good for Sakic.

We have him back for next year with cash to spend, and that's all that matters.
I was just hoping for hometown discount

Old
04-09-2007, 09:31 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
I was just hoping for hometown discount
You didn't get one.

Which is fine. The man should get paid what he deserves.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Horsehouse

he has a family to support. he can't allow discounts

Horsehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse house View Post
he has a family to support. he can't allow discounts
Yeah, I understand the business-side of life, but it would have been pretty nice act from sakic to give the team some more breathing room.

6.75 is fair price for him and Colorado though.

Old
04-09-2007, 11:30 PM
Roy33

This is not directed at anyone in particular, but simply the notion that Sakic should accept less.

What is the rationale that it should be Sakic who gives the discount as opposed to another player? Because he has earned more in his career and "doesn't need it"? Sure, Sakic has natural talent beyond that of most people to ever play the game. But, from all accounts, he puts forth a hell of a lot of effort during the season and off-season to be able to produce the way he does and at the age he is. He should be penalized for longevity and uncanny productivity, particularly because it is due in part to his own dedication to the game?

IMO, he is giving us enough fair treatment by keeping himself in such good shape and playing the game at such a high level at this point in his career. He could easily rest on his laurels, coast on his reputation, retire, and/or go to the highest bidder. Instead, we're getting one of the best players in the game at a fair price. 6.75M is not chump change, but it's not overpayment either. Besides, who desides the threshold for what is a hometown discount and what is not? Is it 5M, 4M ... maybe 1M? It seems like he sacrifices quite a bit, he certainly could have earned more on the open market; asking him to sacrifice the rest of his salary is like asking a guy to work his ass off for nothing. I don't think any of us would do that, no matter how much we earned.

Sorry for the tirade. I would love to see Joe play 3M or whatever, because it would help the team. But, my question is, why him instead of anyone else?

Roy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 12:55 AM
Starrlinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Yeah, I understand the business-side of life, but it would have been pretty nice act from sakic to give the team some more breathing room.
Maybe in a perfect world this is the case, but I have yet to see that world from where I sit. I'm just hard pressed to fault Sakic for asking for a relatively small raise. 6.75 is fair for a player of his caliber, look across the league. For gosh sakes, he just had a 100 point season as a 37 year old, that is just friggin' ridiculous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy33
IMO, he is giving us enough fair treatment by keeping himself in such good shape and playing the game at such a high level at this point in his career. He could easily rest on his laurels, coast on his reputation, retire, and/or go to the highest bidder. Instead, we're getting one of the best players in the game at a fair price. 6.75M is not chump change, but it's not overpayment either. Besides, who desides the threshold for what is a hometown discount and what is not? Is it 5M, 4M ... maybe 1M? It seems like he sacrifices quite a bit, he certainly could have earned more on the open market; asking him to sacrifice the rest of his salary is like asking a guy to work his ass off for nothing. I don't think any of us would do that, no matter how much we earned.
+1

Completely agree with all of that. Sure, it would've been nice if Sakic gave the team as much room as possible but that just isn't reality. Sakic had all the negotiating power and named his price and it's done with.

Starrlinx is offline   Reply With Quote