HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Goalie Situation

Old
04-12-2007, 02:41 PM
12# Peter Bondra

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Good point. I think we should just keep him. He's still at least decent backup if nothing more. In best case Theodore plays decently and we can trade him for something at trade deadline, who knows.

And if you look at other teams, we are not paying much more to our goalies than they are. 5,33 million for theo and 0,7 budaj. Check out other teams, they are paying about the same to their goalies overall. We just have #1 making less money

Whoever gave Budaj 3 year extension is an genious.
FG did.

12# Peter Bondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 04:06 PM
the mandrew

im just curious, how would everyone feel about bringing aebischer back as a back up?

the mandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mandrew View Post
im just curious, how would everyone feel about bringing aebischer back as a back up?
Q would hate it

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 04:14 PM
the mandrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Q would hate it
assuming that q is brought back

the mandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 04:28 PM
hughdreamz

if we are working towards the future, i would keep budaj as a starter and bring up weiman and buy out theodore

hughdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Gumballhead

Isn't it possible that if we jettisoned Theodore that Wall could be the backup instead of Weiman? I know Weiman's been in the system longer, but Wall's had a cup of coffee in the NHL, and I'd think they'd be held in equal regard in a camp competition.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 04:53 PM
ColoradoHockeyFan

Quote:
Now there is your chance for controversy and in-fighting.

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 04:54 PM
ColoradoHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record Robot View Post
Isn't it possible that if we jettisoned Theodore that Wall could be the backup instead of Weiman? I know Weiman's been in the system longer, but Wall's had a cup of coffee in the NHL, and I'd think they'd be held in equal regard in a camp competition.
I would pray that neither of them is the backup this year.

Old
04-12-2007, 07:19 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHockeyFan View Post
I would pray that neither of them is the backup this year.
Which brings us back full circle to my arguement for keeping Theo around this year. If we cut ties with Theo we open ourselves up to fighting between Wall and Wieman. We will also most certainly pay some serious coin for a veteren back up. This would be setting the team up for a multiple headed goalie monster which Q is simply not capable of dealing with. When he is given options in net he will use them...all repeatedly...over and over again...leaving each and every one of them devoid of confidence. Love it or not, it is a fact. At least by keeping Theo around we will (and more importantly Q will) already know the established pecking order.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 09:07 PM
chiavsfan

Quote:
Considering they brought in an AHL'er (Halak) to play over him when Huet went down with an injury...shows me how much further he has fallen. No thanks

chiavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 09:15 PM
ColoradoHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiavsfan View Post
Considering they brought in an AHL'er (Halak) to play over him when Huet went down with an injury...shows me how much further he has fallen. No thanks
I think they indicated that, after Halak, the stick boy was next on the depth chart, and then Aebischer if something happened to him.

Old
04-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Melrose'sMullet

I heard an interview with FG the other day and he stated the Avs need to find a starting goaltender...I can't believe no one has brought this up.

Melrose'sMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Bam Beet*

Just throwing this out there but trading for a goalie is a possibility too. If Giguere is re-signed by Anaheim one would think Bryzgalov would be available. Same goes for one of Toskala and Nabokov. Also If Backstrom is re-signed by Minnesota then Fernandez may be available because they have a great young goalie in Harding. Just throwing some things out there.

Bam Beet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 02:15 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose'sMullet View Post
I heard an interview with FG the other day and he stated the Avs need to find a starting goaltender...I can't believe no one has brought this up.
***. So they don't trust Budaj?

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 03:09 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Were those his actual words? Where was he interviewed?

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 06:10 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
I am curious as to which interview would that be. I heard no such statement in the press conference nor on Giguere's time on AM 950 The Fan the following morning.

Old
04-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Roman Tanner

Quote:
While I haven't heard this quote anywhere, I specifically brought this up a few days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Tanner View Post
I think there is always the potential that other options could present themselves.

Maybe the 'given' of Peter Budaj is not necessarily a 'given'.

I don't think it's wise for any GM to take themselves out of the market for anything.

Maybe Colorado will continue the pursuit of a proven number 1.

Just some food for thought.

Roman Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Commander Enigma

Given how well versed FG is in GM speak, and the fact that Budaj played well in the late stretch and his solid play was a big part of the reason the Avs were able to do so well, it would surprise me if he gave any indication that the team didn't have plans to give Budaj a chance to remain the starter.

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 01:34 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

I simply can't imagine a situation that would cause FG to go out and look for a #1 goalie unless Q's goalie mental health issue has worn off on him. What a complete waste of effort and money to go out and find a #1 goalie while totally ignoring the real problem(s)...defense (and possibly grit on the top two lines.)

I can somewhat understand what PL was trying to do by taking one last wild swing and hoping for a home-run with Theo. But to do so again and knowing the only goalies around worth ditching Budaj over aren't available is team suicide. If we could get Brodeur or Luongo, fine. But they simply aren't available. There's no other goalie out there that is available that I think is worth gambling on and screwing up what Budaj was able to do this season over.

I have stuck up for management more or less after the lock-out but if they go out and go goalie shopping this summer instead of addressing defense and grit I will firmly switch sides and start harping for coaching and management changes from top to bottom, from the president right down to the zamboni driver.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

If there's any talk of Budaj NOT being the starter next year... everyone in the Avs organization needs a brain check.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 10:44 PM
wildone26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
Listening to Giguere on the radio right now makes me believe they will keep Theodore. I hope it's GM speak, but I have a feeling this wont be the offseason I had hoped
Well if he is bought out does his salary count against the salary cap? That would be the only advantage of buying him out that I could see.

Although I said all along I thought the team traded for him to be the a good backup and mentor to Budaj, as it was clear that Budaj was the pre-destined starter all along. So why they are not happy with him I am not sure. Perhaps he is not performing at the level of backup that they were hoping for.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 10:56 PM
Commander Enigma

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107048/

Old
04-14-2007, 01:19 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkboy View Post
Tis a bit early to be pessimistic. Free agency hasn't even started.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 07:16 AM
Commander Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekic42 View Post
Tis a bit early to be pessimistic. Free agency hasn't even started.
That's not what I meant.

Old
04-14-2007, 08:11 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I'm seeing some stuff about aebischer in here

Aebischer had an excellent start to the season and he was decent up until the new year. At this point, he was allowing at least 3 goals every single game and he was unable to make big saves and allowing softies left, right, and centre.

As much as the habs wanted to go with the experienced abby down the playoff stretch with huet injured, the situation became so bad, that the habs had to dig into their farm and throw a 21 year old rookie into the fire. Granted, this rookie was dominant in the ahl, but the fact that abby lost his job to a rookie down the stretch says alot IMO. And this all happened in abby's contract year.

So I think abby shoul gather zero interest from the avs.

As for the avs current situation, I would remain status quo for the upcoming season.

Basically, this will be a do or die year for theodore. If he has another season with a bloated GAA and a sub par save percentage, then it may well be his last hurrah in the NHL, let alone with the avalanche. You cant get anymore motive than that to turn your game around.... and he just might do it. Remember, this is the first time that theodore will start his nhl year as a backup in about 7 years.... the last time theodore was in this position is the time he broke out and became one of the hottest commodities in the NHL. Maybe he needs to get back into that mental state to reclaim his game. It could happen....

As for budaj, I think he has earned the oppurtunity to at least go into camp with the starting position to lose... I'm not quite sure how anyone can justify not playing him and signing someone else... it would be a slap in the face to budaj.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote