HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Goalie Situation

Old
04-15-2007, 10:14 PM
wildone26*

vCash: 500
I see 4 options for the team:

1)Make a trade for Nikolai Khabulin. The team will need to trade away around 3 good players to clear the cap room though.

2)Make a trade for Martin Gerber. The team will need to trade away 1 star player to clear the cap room for him.

3)Make a trade for Cedric Desjardins who currently plays for the Cinncinati Cyclones in the Habs farm systen. He would be cheap, wont get a shot in Montreal with their depth of goalies there, and you wont need to clear cap space for him. He took his team to the Memorial Cup final twice as a junior and won it this a year ago. He is a sensational talent.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2007, 10:37 PM
Bam Beet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone26 View Post
I see 4 options for the team:

1)Make a trade for Nikolai Khabulin. The team will need to trade away around 3 good players to clear the cap room though.

2)Make a trade for Martin Gerber. The team will need to trade away 1 star player to clear the cap room for him.

3)Make a trade for Cedric Desjardins who currently plays for the Cinncinati Cyclones in the Habs farm systen. He would be cheap, wont get a shot in Montreal with their depth of goalies there, and you wont need to clear cap space for him. He took his team to the Memorial Cup final twice as a junior and won it this a year ago. He is a sensational talent.
First of all thats only 3 options not 4. Second of all those are all bad, bad ideas.

Bam Beet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 12:32 AM
wildone26*

Sorry you are right, I meant 3 ideas, not 4. Khabulin is still a very good goalie. He was just so desperate to get away from his former coach, who he could not stand, he was willing to take the first offer that come up, even if it was a partialy bad situation on a team very likely to be at the very bottom of the league for the forseeable future(at the time of the signing anyway). That plus the extremely good part of the deal, the extremely high salary, which was almost to the maximum allowable under the salary cap at the time, he got a bit greedy and could not resist the temptation of the financial excitement of the offer, and did not thoroughly consider the competitive ambitions aspect of it. Then when it came to the new year, he probably came to realize, in a way he had let his emotions and greed at the time get in the way of this thought process before, that from a competitive ambitions standpoint he was in an almost hopeless situation, one of the most hopeless in the entire league. That combined with the gauranteed huge salary, probably sapped him of feeling of incentive or motivation, reflecting in his performance since signing there. He was a big part of why Tampa Bay won the Stanley Cup a few years ago. He would regain his passion for hockey if he came here. He would atleast be on a team with a certain amount of competitive ambitions and hopes.

Gerber is stuck in a bad situation, he had a bad stretch of hockey late last season/early in the playoffs, which cost him his starting job to Ward who got lucky to go through a hot patch at the right time. Gerber is probably alot better then Ward, but because of that timing is gone from Carolina. He showed up in Ottawa to be the starter, but again got unlucky to go through a rough patch at the very start of the season, then for Emery to show he is now a very good goalie and steal the starting job away. Gerber is so good he might be slightly better even then Emery, but he wont likely be given a chance by the team to recover there.

Those are only the ideas IF the team is not comfortable with Budaj as their starting goaltender. Given that they seemed anxious to push him into the starters role, and they spent all that money to trade for Theodore to start the playoffs last season before settling into the role of backup/mentor to Budaj this season, I dont know why the team would not stick with that plan. When you invest in a plan to push a young goalie into the starting job, and spend so much money on a veteran backup/mentor, it is important to give that plan more then 1 year. I hope the fact the team narrowly missed the playoffs will not cause them to abandon that plan.

I am not in favor of any of my ideas since I am favor of following through on the plan set a year ago for Budaj to be pushed into the starters role, and Theodore to be the backup/mentor the team was willing to trade for all that money for him to be. I would not abandon that plan after only 1 year since the team so narrowly missed the playoffs. Thus I would rather none of my ideas followed through on. I am just saying if the team was insistent on a change those would be my ideas.

Last edited by wildone26*: 04-16-2007 at 12:42 AM.
Old
04-16-2007, 12:46 AM
Bam Beet*

Khabibulin salary is really high, plus you said that we would have to trade away 3 good players to make room for him.

Gerber also has a big salary and is on the books for a couple years. He is not an upgrade over Budaj.

And last but not least why would you put Cedric Desjardins who is a prospect himself as backup for another young goalie in Budaj. Budaj needs a vet backup.

Thats why I think those are all bad ideas. Just my IMO.

Bam Beet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 12:57 AM
wildone26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic's-A-Legend View Post
Khabibulin salary is really high, plus you said that we would have to trade away 3 good players to make room for him.

Gerber also has a big salary and is on the books for a couple years. He is not an upgrade over Budaj.

And last but not least why would you put Cedric Desjardins who is a prospect himself as backup for another young goalie in Budaj. Budaj needs a vet backup.

Thats why I think those are all bad ideas. Just my IMO.
Well like I said I wouldnt make any changes. I would follow through on the plan of the team from a year ago for Budaj to be grow into the starting role, and for Theodore to be the mentor/backup to Budaj they were willing to trade for such a high salary for him to be. I believe changing that initial plan, changing the goaltending situation the team set in place before last season, would be a knee jerk reaction to barely missing the playoffs.

I would assume if they were bringing in another goalie it would mean they were possibly no longer comfortable with Budaj as their starter, and whichever one they picked up might be expected to be the starter(depending who it was).

I think Khabibulin was a top 10 goalie a couple years ago, when he atleast had the incentive of playing on a team with ambitions and hopes. However I think he was negatively impacted by a coach he did not like, one of the most abrasive coaches in the league. He is a strange personality and I think is affeced by things like that more then most people. On a team with a more mellow coach he might be a top 5 goalie in the league.

I think Gerber is very underrated. At the Olympics his 49 save performance vs Canada was about as great as a goaltender can possibly play. He totally outshone the great Brodeur in that game. He has other games like that. He just got unlucky to go through two bad patches, one the end of last season with Carolina, one the start of this season with Ottawa, at bad times, each time a young goalie stepped in and took advantage, and he wasnt given another chance.

I think Desjardins is very underrated. I cant believe he is playing in only the ECHL after seeing him his 2 years at the Memorial Cup, and watching him play in the Q league where I used to live many times.

Again though I wouldnt change anything, those are just my ideas if the team was intent on changing the goaltending situation.

Old
04-16-2007, 09:33 AM
chiavsfan

Khabibulin sucks...he has completely lost it over the last couple of years, granted Chicago doesn't have the greatest D, but, like Theodore, the amount of money he is being paid should at least guarantee a few stolen wins.

Gerber, same thing. Yeah, he had a decent season with Carolina last year, but when it was all on the line, he lost it. He was given another shot in Ottawa, and he lost it quickly to Ray Emery

As for the prospect of a prospect trade? Why? The Avs just traded for a goalie prospect, who has already seen a couple of games in the show, and has done OK.

chiavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

Send a message via AIM to Osstrayan Send a message via MSN to Osstrayan
Khabibulin was good this year man. He fell apart down the stretch with the rest of his team, but until January people were talking about him being an all-star. The issues I would have with him would be his contract and the fact that he seems pretty injury-prone. Also, I don't see the point of trading for an overpriced veteran unless we knew we were in a position to make a deep playoff run next season.

Gerber is basically Theo. Next.

Osstrayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 10:14 AM
chiavsfan

Bulin often got outplayed by Patrick Lalime...so much so that Savard almost gave Lalime the starting job down the strecth. For a 6 million dollar goalie, thats not good

Old
04-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiavsfan View Post
Bulin often got outplayed by Patrick Lalime...so much so that Savard almost gave Lalime the starting job down the strecth. For a 6 million dollar goalie, thats not good
Man, what kind of team pays 6 mil for their backup goalie? What a bunch of idi....oh.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 12:10 PM
the mandrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record Robot View Post
Man, what kind of team pays 6 mil for their backup goalie? What a bunch of idi....oh.

god, if you don't laugh you'll cry

the mandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiavsfan View Post
I said he struggled down the stretch, but he was also one of the top 5 goalies in the league until the end of January. His play went in the toilet, just like that of his teammates.

Either way, he's too old. I would want no part of it.

Old
04-16-2007, 09:37 PM
wildone26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xalcyx View Post
I said he struggled down the stretch, but he was also one of the top 5 goalies in the league until the end of January. His play went in the toilet, just like that of his teammates.

Either way, he's too old. I would want no part of it.
He is having a hard time because he plays on one of the 4 teams or so who have not even the slighest of tiniest hopes of making the playoffs in the forseeable future. That combined with his salary. If he plays on a team with atleast some realistic hopes, he would become that top 5 goalie he was early this season for an entire season.

Anyway I did not say I would take on a goalie, but if the team were insistent on it he would be one of my top 3 choice, along with the other 2 I mentioned.

Old
04-17-2007, 01:53 AM
Drury_Sakic

not that I am really interested in him, but how long does Khabby have left on his contract?

If its one year, why not do a Bulin for Theodore trade even up... 'Bulin IS better than Theodore at this point, but makes just a tad more. Hawks might be willing to do the deal to see if Theodore can turn it around, Avs get a vet backup at worst and maybe a potential game breaking starter if his game comes around and he stays healthy.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 02:00 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
not that I am really interested in him, but how long does Khabby have left on his contract?

If its one year, why not do a Bulin for Theodore trade even up... 'Bulin IS better than Theodore at this point, but makes just a tad more. Hawks might be willing to do the deal to see if Theodore can turn it around, Avs get a vet backup at worst and maybe a potential game breaking starter if his game comes around and he stays healthy.
He's signed through 08-09, cap hit of 6.75 million.

Old
04-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Foppa Frossa

Krizan looked sharp in the Swedish championships, anyone know if MoDo can handle Theodore's contract?

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 03:07 PM
12# Peter Bondra

Didnt Theo play in Sweden during the lockout?

12# Peter Bondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:36 AM
chiavsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12# Peter Bondra View Post
Didnt Theo play in Sweden during the lockout?
Yup. He played for Djurgardens

Regular Season: 17 Games a 2.46 GAA and a .916 Sv% (I can't find his wins and losses anywhere

Playoffs: 12 games a 2.23 GAA and a .921 Sv%

None too shabby actually

Old
04-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

well for those advocating searching for a veteran backup in the summer, one of those names was taken off the market. Lalime re-upped with the blackhawks. Not sure of the price yet, but he was likely one of the better players that would have been available in that category.

Old
04-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Draft Dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by xalcyx View Post
well for those advocating searching for a veteran backup in the summer, one of those names was taken off the market. Lalime re-upped with the blackhawks. Not sure of the price yet, but he was likely one of the better players that would have been available in that category.
too bad - that's the guy I would have liked.
I don't believe he's announced it yet, but CuJo also seemed like a guy who was hanging them up - Gretzky pulled him with 30 seconds left in the last game so he could get an ovation along with Roenick.

Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:40 PM
avalanchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
too bad - that's the guy I would have liked.
I don't believe he's announced it yet, but CuJo also seemed like a guy who was hanging them up - Gretzky pulled him with 30 seconds left in the last game so he could get an ovation along with Roenick.
Well I heard that Roenick is coming back for another season... supposedly wants to go back to Chicago "where he got his start".

avalanchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 03:29 PM
chiavsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanchuck View Post
Well I heard that Roenick is coming back for another season... supposedly wants to go back to Chicago "where he got his start".

Got his start, and then got traded when he showed any sign of promise...you know, the Chicago Blackhawk way!!!