HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What will happen with Smith?

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2003, 04:19 PM
Chayos

vCash: 500
What will happen with Smith?

I think you will see the oil bring up Woywitka in the new year and give him some icetime to see how close to ready he is. This would pave the way for the oil to move Smith in a package at the line to get a Center. I know we really need a player like Smith on the Back end, but he is Eligible for Arbitration again and the way he has been playing he will use the 3.5 that Markov is making and murder us in the proceedings. I think we should move him in a package for a quality Center prospect and Young d-man.

Maybe something like Smith, Rita and philly's 1st for Biron, kalinin and afinoganiov.

Old
12-17-2003, 04:40 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
I think you will see the oil bring up Woywitka in the new year and give him some icetime to see how close to ready he is. This would pave the way for the oil to move Smith in a package at the line to get a Center. I know we really need a player like Smith on the Back end, but he is Eligible for Arbitration again and the way he has been playing he will use the 3.5 that Markov is making and murder us in the proceedings. I think we should move him in a package for a quality Center prospect and Young d-man.

Maybe something like Smith, Rita and philly's 1st for Biron, kalinin and afinoganiov.

I agree, unless Jason Smith is will to sign a contract extension at a reasonable price BEFORE the trade deadline, he's as good as gone. even so, cuz of his age (29), he's as good as gone anyhow.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jason Smith & Rita for Kalinin & Biron, although I wouldn't mind having Conklin as our starter..but on the other hand I would love to see Biron in an Oiler uni. I hope the Oilers dont trade any of their picks from the first 2 rounds (we have 2 in the first rd & 2 in the 2nd rd, if we get compensation for losing Leetch via UFA last summer since we acquired him in late June)...I doubt the Oilers will deal any picks, especially since we're looking to post-2004..we usually trade for picks, not trade them away.

Old
12-18-2003, 02:42 AM
future consideration

As a fanof both teams I highly doubt Kalinin is gonna be moved. More likely McKee.

I love Smith and don't wanna see him moved unless absolutley nessecary. He's our captain and our only mean d-man. Plus his playoff beards are tight.

Old
12-18-2003, 05:48 AM
Mr Sakich

It is becomming very obvious that lowe is building for post-2004. He has said this in the past but the proof is quite clear now (trading comrie for prospects). Woywitka does make smith somewhat expendable if smith can't be signed to a 3 year deal. Lowe has tied up a few guys (smith, staois, and cross) to long term deals and traded away others (weight, janne, carter) who were on the verge of becomming too expensive.

The comparable for smith is boucher and hatcher. All three play a similar game and were the best dmen available in their ufa year. Smith will be ufa at the end of next year so lowe has to work his deal this year.

As for what we can get for him, he would be a very valuable commodity at for any team making a push for the cup. IMO, Toronto, New Jersey, Philly, Tampa, Col, Dallas, STL, and maybe detroit are all teams who would love to have him. If any of these teams suffers a late season injury to one of their top dmen, then smith's value goes through the roof. Lowe may be able to get a similar return as Oates garnered when roenik got injured.

Old
12-18-2003, 07:16 AM
future consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
It is becomming very obvious that lowe is building for post-2004. He has said this in the past but the proof is quite clear now (trading comrie for prospects). Woywitka does make smith somewhat expendable if smith can't be signed to a 3 year deal. Lowe has tied up a few guys (smith, staois, and cross) to long term deals and traded away others (weight, janne, carter) who were on the verge of becomming too expensive.

The comparable for smith is boucher and hatcher. All three play a similar game and were the best dmen available in their ufa year. Smith will be ufa at the end of next year so lowe has to work his deal this year.

As for what we can get for him, he would be a very valuable commodity at for any team making a push for the cup. IMO, Toronto, New Jersey, Philly, Tampa, Col, Dallas, STL, and maybe detroit are all teams who would love to have him. If any of these teams suffers a late season injury to one of their top dmen, then smith's value goes through the roof. Lowe may be able to get a similar return as Oates garnered when roenik got injured.
Well I agree that if he doesn't think he can sign him long term then maybe you deal him. Tampa Bay would love to have Smith I think. Maybe make a package for Svitov.

Old
12-18-2003, 07:50 AM
Mr Sakich

right now, there are 5 very ggod teams in the eat - ott, tor, philly, new jersey, and tampa. If one makes a move just before the deadline, there could be a lot of activity. In the west, it looks like a dog fight between van, det, and col.

This is the last run at the cup before armageddon so it may be the last time a team can "buy" a cup. Smith's contract is up at the end of this year so the team could walk away from an arbitrator's decision. He is ufa at the end of next so it won't be expensive for a team to carry him into the next cba.

Old
12-18-2003, 08:10 AM
Big T

I'd hate to see Smith gone. He is one of those role playing defensemen needed to win a cup in the future. (Like Hatcher as someone mentioned) I believe he will only get better. Very important for Lowe to sign this guy before the deadline.

T

Old
12-18-2003, 08:26 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T
I'd hate to see Smith gone. He is one of those role playing defensemen needed to win a cup in the future. (Like Hatcher as someone mentioned) I believe he will only get better. Very important for Lowe to sign this guy before the deadline.

T
Well, sure, but at what price? If Gator figures he can get $3.5M from an arbitrator, you'd have to think he wouldn't settle for less from the Oilers based on past experience. If he won't sign for a reasonable longer-term deal before the deadline, I'd say Lowe has to trade him & get some good return for him. It's really up to Smith on this one...is he going to be more like Smyth, Moreau, and Staios & sign for 'reasonable' money to stay here longer term, or go for the bigger bucks in arbitration?

Right now my bet would be on him NOT taking less to sign a longer-term deal with the Oilers, but if he would, then he'd be an important part of a Cup run.

Bart

Old
12-18-2003, 08:36 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
Jason is a RFA at the end of the year. The concern is that he's going to take the Oilers to "school" at the arbitration hearings... and the way he's been playing lately, the Oilers won't be able to afford what he gets awarded.

Old
12-18-2003, 10:10 AM
t0mf00lery

Gator has been our best d-man this season and he has really surprised me with his offense too. I'd say he is in for a big raise and as bad as I hate to see him go, I can imagine that he will be moved by the deadline. Especially if the Oilers are out of the play-off picture by then.

If they are poised to make a good run into the play-offs, then I can see K-Lo hanging on to Jason.

Closed Thread