HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Gameday Thread: New York Islanders vs. New York Rangers (8:00 PM)

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2003, 05:50 PM
Tom Liodice

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
Official Gameday Thread: New York Islanders vs. New York Rangers (8:00 PM)

New York Islanders vs. New York Rangers

8:00 PM Start Time
ESPN (Nationally Broadcasted), 1050 AM ESPN Radio (NYI), 660 AM WFAN Radio (NYR)
Rangers Lead Series (1-0-0-0)

I'd figure I'd start the GameThread a little early so everyone can discuss tomorrow night's events, and I'll put the previews up when NYI.com posts them. Remember everyone, it's a special 8 PM start time since it will be on ESPN. Take care

Last edited by Tom Liodice: 12-17-2003 at 05:53 PM.
Old
12-17-2003, 06:03 PM

The ESPN TV crew is God awful. I can't take listening to Gary Thorne and Bill Clement or even worse that Ranger$ lover the incompetent Steve Levy although I like Darren Pang.

Old
12-17-2003, 06:04 PM
Tom Liodice

$20 Gary Thorne pronouces Radek Martinek as Martin-ek...and not the proper way Mar-Ti-Nek :p

Old
12-17-2003, 06:58 PM
Islanders4Cups

I expect this to be a tough, hard fought game. The Islanders appear to have righted the ship since their 4-2 defeat to the Rangers earlier in the season. You can point to this game as the turning point to ending their 7 game losing streak. Since then the Isles are 4-0-0-1 and have outscore their opponents 20-8.

Folks on the Ranger$ board are anticipating retaliation to an unfortunate collision between Lundmark and Peca last game.

A key to the game is for the Islanders to stay out of the box and try and contain Brian Leetch who has literally beaten them single handedly lately. Going back to last year, in his last 4 games, Leetch has 5 goals and the Islanders are 1-3-2 vs. the Rangers. I see this as a close game for sole possession of 3rd place in the division.

I think the Ranger$ are going to come out banging, so our guys better take care not to retaliate and to stay out of the box. Let's not let Leetch beat us for a change, because he's the only one who seems to score against us lately.

Any chance they leave Goddard home and let Weinhandl play with Ash and Toft?

Old
12-17-2003, 07:46 PM
Pecalicious

NO Chance - Goddard a Must!

Weird how we have come to this game with the two teams having switched roles completely...........

Last Time - Rangers rolling along, Isles Limping in crushed.........

This Time Isle rolling along - Rag$ floundering............

even if they trade Lindros for Jagr I have a feeling it could be a see saw battle like this all year so head to head is crucial.......

Let's Go Isles!!!!!

Old
12-17-2003, 08:45 PM
Tom Liodice

New York Islanders vs. New York Rangers

Battle of New York (8:00 PM)
ESPN (Nationally Broadcasted), 1050 AM ESPN Radio (NYI), 660 AM WFAN Radio (NYR)
Rangers Lead Series (1-0-0-0)

http://newyorkislanders.com/gameday/pregame.html

(Dec. 18) It's December, the Islanders are undefeated in regulation in their past five games and the team is hitting the Big Apple to take on the Rangers Thursday. It doesn't get much better than that. Except, of course, for coming back to the Island with a win.

The Isles enter Thursday's game with their metro rivals on several rolls, the biggest being their increased goal-scoring. In four of their past five games, they've picked up four or more goals, including three five-goal games. The sole smudge on the sheet is the overtime loss suffered in New Jersey last week.

The Insider
New York Islanders @ New York Rangers
8:00 PM, December 18, 2003 @ Madison Square Garden

http://newyorkislanders.com/gameday/insider.html

(Dec. 18) The Book on the Rangers
A busy November that saw the Rangers play 16 games in 30 days may have taken the wind out of their sails. The Blueshirts have gone 2-4-0-0 to start the month, dropping their record to one game below .500. They seem to have found their kryptonite in the form of Toronto, who has defeated the Rangers three times in New York's past seven games.

The Rangers' offense is spearheaded by Alexei Kovalev and his 24 points and 19 assists. Mark Messier paces the team in goals with 10 on the season, while Martin Rucinsky tops the crew with a +18 rating. On the rougher side of the game, Chris Simon's been a Broadway Bully with 131 penalty minutes on the season. Along the blueline, Brian Leetch gets the most ice time seeing over 24 minutes a night, while leading the defensemen with 12 points.

Who's Hot
He's not exactly hot, but at least Alexei Kovalev is consistently putting up points. That's more than the majority of his teammates are doing. He's currently working on a two-game point streak, with four points in his past five games. Picked up in a firesale last season from Pittsburgh, Kovalev was expected to goose the team's offense, but hasn't had the desired effect yet.

The Scoop on the New York Rangers

http://newyorkislanders.com/gameday/scoop.html

Where They Stand:
With their recent skid, combined with the Islanders recent surge, the Rangers have fallen behind their archrival in the standings. The Blueshirts are now in fourth place in the Atlantic Division with a record of 11-12-5-2. In their last 10 games, they have played sub-.500 hockey with four wins, five losses, and a tie. On home ice at the Garden this season, the Rangers have recorded six wins, five losses, two ties, and two overtime losses. MSG hasn't been kind to their hockey residents in recent years when they host the Islanders as the Isles have gone 6-2-2 over the past four seasons at the world's most famous arena.

Opponent Rumblings:
With his team faltering as of late, President/General Manager/Head Coach Glen Sather is flat out mad. He finds it inexcusable for his team to be playing below par after a decent start to the 2003-04 season. Although his club is still in the early Eastern Conference playoff hunt, Sather feels that his team is not executing his gameplan properly. The multi-tasking Sather is pointing his finger on his players for not following through with their set agenda.

"We're not here to soothe somebody's hurt feelings, we're here to play," Sather said Newsday. "I don't think there's any flaw in the system, it's a flaw in the execution. The games we've lost, it's been the same kinds of little things that happen to us."

Last edited by Tom Liodice: 12-19-2003 at 09:10 PM.
Old
12-17-2003, 10:16 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4Cups
Any chance they leave Goddard home and let Weinhandl play with Ash and Toft?
If you do not dress Godard for this game, you may as well put him on waivers. Tough retribution talk from a couple of blood-hungry, playoff-deprived NYR fans doesn't worry me. However, I want my enforcers on the ice in an inter-conference game. Frankly, I'd line up Godard on the Captain's flank for the first shift or two to send a clear message: "if you want a piece of him, you have to deal with me."

Last edited by Trottier: 12-18-2003 at 11:45 AM.
Old
12-18-2003, 04:05 AM
NYIsles1*

Folks, whoever wants to come here to talk about the game tonight is welcome on both sides, but were looking for hockey, not trolling.

Anyone who has to troll will have their messages deleted and if it continues will have their accounts given a ban. Were looking for quality hockey discussion not members looking to make problems.

That said, enjoy the game and Thanks.......

Old
12-18-2003, 05:25 AM
NYIsles1*

I'm going tonight. Should be a lot of fun.

As for the game itself, it's Islanders-Rangers but unlike two weeks ago, the situtation is not as desperate as it was. The winner of this game is two points behind the loser, the Islanders have a game in hand and more wins. Win, lose or draw, life goes on and they play four more times.

Neither team is in a playoff spot.

The story is from here until the end of the month.

I expect Dunham-Snow. DiPietro can play the Caps unless Snow struggles beforehand, the Isles have not been traveling at all.

If Sather starts Markkanen it could really bother Dunham, he does not seem to like the competition even though the goals against are more about coverage than goaltending. Sather may not want to take the chance of hurting his confidence even more.

Can the Isles stop Leetch? Will the Rangers worry more about Peca and take some penalties to hit him?

Hopefully all that infighting on the Rangers keeps them guessing over their roles some more.

I just want points.

Old
12-18-2003, 05:49 AM
Moosie

Rangers 12/18

This is one of those games the Isles have to win if they expect to make the playoffs. The Rangers are slumping, so the Isles have to take advantage. Dunham was awesome the last time around, just like Marty was before Tuesday night. Let's get some early goals and ride the wave.

Old
12-18-2003, 07:08 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 521
Isles have to avoid retalitory penalties,stay of of the box.
And I expect Sterling to stick with Snow,he's been playing well.

Old
12-18-2003, 07:16 AM
JR#9*

Any of you guys heading over to MSG for the game?

Should be a real battle tonight.Don't think anybody is going to go out of their way to target Peca but I think the NYR's will come out with a real physical effort in an attempt to get out of the slump similar to the way Peca tried to lead the charge for the Isles when they were struggling when we came to LI.

Look for Holik to be a menace tonight.

I also like having Simon-Lindros-Barnaby as a line.I think they will be very effective down low on the cycle and in getting to the net which seemed to have a effect on Little Ricky last time we met.

Dunny needs a strong game and of coarse for both teams it will be vital to avoid stupid penalties.

Should be a great battle and it's graet that it is getting shown on national TV for everybody to watch.

Old
12-18-2003, 07:31 AM
Tom Liodice

If Stirling goes to DiPietro tonight I'd be really shocked. Go with Snow tonight! (Hey, that rhymes :p)

Old
12-18-2003, 08:20 AM
disles1

Should be an exciting game tonight! Another big game for the isles who have to improve their lousy road record (next three on the road!) Expect lots of hitting and scoring---a 5-3 isles win!!
Lets go isles!!

Old
12-18-2003, 09:32 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

oh i cant wait. drop the puck already.

Old
12-18-2003, 11:28 AM
Plan 9

Seems like DiPietro hasn't been playing as much lately. Any particular reason for this?

Old
12-18-2003, 11:32 AM
Islanders4Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov71
Seems like DiPietro hasn't been playing as much lately. Any particular reason for this?
Islanders were in a terrible funk and although it was not Rickys doing, Stirling changed things up, Snow and the team got on a good roll and it is Snow-balling.

Old
12-18-2003, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov71
Because Snow has been on fire and has stolen the Isles some points.

Old
12-18-2003, 12:03 PM
Tom Liodice

Your referees tonight apparently are Kerry Fraser and Blaine Angus

Old
12-18-2003, 12:08 PM
Jones23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
Should be a great battle and it's graet that it is getting shown on national TV for everybody to watch.
Not only national in the States but up here in Canada too!

Hopefully both teams live up to the hype and put on a great show for North America and beyond.

Go Isles!

Old
12-18-2003, 12:39 PM
Dugi Otok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeca
Not only national in the States but up here in Canada too!

Hopefully both teams live up to the hype and put on a great show for North America and beyond.

Go Isles!

Which really sucks for me. One of the rare times I get to watch them and I have my own hockey game to play in 2nite.
Isles 3 (Peca,Parrish,Kvasha)
Rags 1 (Leetch

Old
12-18-2003, 01:48 PM
Dartmouth 02

cant wait for the game tonight. shame though that its been way too long since one of these games had a real buzz about it, mostly because for years now a majority of ranger fans just dont LIKE their team (this is happening with the isles too now). nonetheless, always a fun time and ill be at MSG with my Kromm jersey hoping for a big game.

Old
12-18-2003, 03:17 PM
PECAhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartmouth 02
ill be at MSG with my Kromm jersey hoping for a big game.
Anyone with a Richard Kromm jersey should be an automatic entry into the Isles Diehard fan - Hall of Fame :p

Old
12-18-2003, 04:52 PM
blitzkriegs

ah...after the 1st:

i didn't realize Santa was playing tonight and giving out the 'gifts' ...

ok, how long did it take Clement to realize that Hamrlik got his stick on the puck to deflect Kovalev's shot???? It was pretty noticeable LIVE and every replay they showed...

and the referee cam? ... ESPN had the perfect chance to pounce on the NHL referring when the 'ref with the cam' called a penalty against Blake that looked more like he was brushing lint off of the NYR player's shoulder...but they elected NOT to show it...Instead we later saw a FACEOFF at center ice...ooohhhhhhh...that was really special...

for some reason, i'm glad we do not get a lot of nationally televised games....

Old
12-18-2003, 04:52 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 521
Isles are lucky to be trailing only 2-1 at the end of the first.

Dunham came into the game struggling and the isles barely tested him.Blake took an undisciplined penalty and then the isles got called for to many men on the ice.

Closed Thread