HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Gameday Thread: New York Islanders vs. New York Rangers (8:00 PM)

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2003, 03:54 PM
blitzkriegs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Isles are lucky to be trailing only 2-1 at the end of the first.

Dunham came into the game struggling and the isles barely tested him.Blake took an undisciplined penalty and then the isles got called for to many men on the ice.

well, ESPN said NYR have lost 7 games when scoring 1st ... so we got hope b/c NYI have actually been coming from behind to win lately...

Old
12-18-2003, 06:26 PM
Dartmouth 02

sigh...

such a disappointing effort. isles defined 'flat'. did not pursue pucks/men with any regularity. i couldnt be any more dissatisfied with peca. he was brutal. yashin needs to be more visible. just an overall lackluster performance in a game where they had no excuse to be so blah. on the plus side, isles fans represented themselves well and were out in numbers. snow was not that bad but obviously the adventures with the puck were completely unnecessary.

this team is just destined to battle for the 8th seed all year- and that may be a best-case scenario. oh well. kromm goes back in the closet...

Old
12-18-2003, 07:54 PM
blitzkriegs

one noticeable thing about our goaltending thus far this season:

neither goalie can sustain a high level of performance for more than 4-5 games.

Old
12-18-2003, 08:59 PM
NJDevs430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Liodice
$20 Gary Thorne pronouces Radek Martinek as Martin-ek...and not the proper way Mar-Ti-Nek :p
I heard that, and I also heard "Martinique" (like the island).
But nothing Thorne could butcher matches what I heard when the girl on FSNY tried to pronounce the name of the Sharks' Niko Dimitrakos as they showed footage of him getting clocked by Dallas Drake of the Blues.
<)-:{

Old
12-19-2003, 02:24 AM
Moosie

Isles vs Rangers

Note to Steve: Start last-ditch effort two minutes earlier next time.

Old
12-19-2003, 04:15 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Liodice
$20 Gary Thorne pronouces Radek Martinek as Martin-ek...and not the proper way Mar-Ti-Nek :p
And who was that guy wearing #21 for the Isles? Zerkawski?

And for the Rangers #26 Rusinky.

12-19-2003, 04:15 AM
NYIsles1*

Thorne and Clement called this game as if they were showcasing their resumes to work for Msg or hype only one team. Even Sam and J.D make more of an effort to seem neutral.

As for the game seemed like the last game against the Rangers, two bad teams, neither really wanted the game and kept trying to give it back to the other team. Lot's of huge mistakes and poor calls by the officials.

Dunham was one goal better than Snow.

Martinek had his second goal rushing at the net in the last week, that's more than all of the other defenders.

Peca gets's a close in chance at the net in the third and a two minute penalty for slashing that I did not see? Blake's call against Leetch (who went down pretty easily) gave them a two man powerplay and the call against Blake in the first was terrible.

MacDonald got enough of Snow to be called for interference.

Isles had some chances, Peca seemed to have great jump and his rush down five on three almost got them a goal. Scatchard, Kvasha had some good shifts.

All in all the Isles gave the Rangers too much and Snow for every good save he made was out of position or mishandled the puck for other shots.

Isles were due for a bad game after 4-0-0-1 and did not have a good night on the special teams, they did not deserve to be in this one.

They have to play much better against Philadelphia. No hiding in this schedule.

Old
12-19-2003, 04:21 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1118
I disappointed in the lack of intensity the isles showed.

Grossman's article this morning describes their play perfectly:soft and intimidated.

These are the games that our $8m player needs to step up for.
For all of Blake's hustle and energy,his undisciplined retalitory penalty in the first is what makes him such a bonehead.What is he a 19 yr old rookie or a 29 yr old vet?
Is there a player on the team who blows more breakaways or partial breakaways then Peca?

:mad:

Old
12-19-2003, 04:31 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
As for the game seemed like the last game against the Rangers, two bad teams, neither really wanted the game and kept trying to give it back to the other team. Lot's of huge mistakes and poor calls by the officials.
C'mon, the Rangers completely dominated the Isles for the 1st 55 minutes and then had the 2 defensive lapses to make the score seem alot closer then the game actually was.

Old
12-19-2003, 05:17 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
C'mon, the Rangers completely dominated the Isles for the 1st 55 minutes and then had the 2 defensive lapses to make the score seem alot closer then the game actually was.
No doubt the Islanders were badly outplayed for most of the game, they did not work for any breaks and did not earn any. As for the Rangers, either the Islanders woke up in the last five minutes or they had a very hard time closing them out.

The better team won last night, Isles did not do enough to get points and somehow/someway, they almost did.

Not sure it says anything too positive about either team. We'll see what both teams do from here.

Old
12-19-2003, 05:56 AM
Brentfax

Who is the one player on the rangers that seems to have a great game every time against the isles. LEETCH. Well it happened again tonight and the 3rd goal which was the killer, who was it that was skating down the left side with the puck and nobody around him, LEETCH. This was a missed assignment by Godard, who I don't think saw anymore ice time after this but the fact is he should not even be put on the ice when Leetch is out there. Chow shouldn't be either. The other two RW's should be told to stick to Leetch like glue when the rangers have the puck. I don't think the coaching staff put enough emphasis on this especially when you see Godard out there with Leetch.

Old
12-19-2003, 06:14 AM
AgentOrange*

Why cant the Isles get up for the games vs the Rag$? :mad:

They should be hitting Messier and Leetch too! :mad:

Old
12-19-2003, 07:25 AM
Moosie

Isles vs Rangers

Why can't the team get up for the Rangers? They probably thought they had completed their task on earth by beating the Devils in the previous game. I just hate it when Lindros looks good against the Isles. I thought the officiating was kind of one-sided. The Isles really didn't accomplish much in the first 55 minutes. I can think of 3 losses year (and there are probably more) - both Rangers games and the Columbus game - where the Isles staged a stirring, last-minute comeback to almost tie the game. How about kicking in the emotion a little sooner, so we have time to get the tying goal? Or better yet, how about playing the whole game at that level?

Old
12-19-2003, 12:44 PM

What a complete yawner. Two mediocre .500 teams playing mediocre hockey. Isles were sloppy most of the game and Rag$ were sloppy at the end. No major hits, no fights, no passion. The games vs. the Devs were more interesting. Hard to believe the Isles could be so flat but it looked like they were too pleased with themselves from beating the Devs. Janne "cough up give away" Niinimaa and Snow had lapses. As for the bogus phantom "roughing" call on Blake, I've been hit harder than that on the subway at rush hour. These type of games are why the Isles are basically a .500 team. They always play down to their level of competition especially on the road.

Old
12-20-2003, 05:28 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19
What a complete yawner. Two mediocre .500 teams playing mediocre hockey. Isles were sloppy most of the game and Rag$ were sloppy at the end. No major hits, no fights, no passion. The games vs. the Devs were more interesting. Hard to believe the Isles could be so flat but it looked like they were too pleased with themselves from beating the Devs. Janne "cough up give away" Niinimaa and Snow had lapses. As for the bogus phantom "roughing" call on Blake, I've been hit harder than that on the subway at rush hour. These type of games are why the Isles are basically a .500 team. They always play down to their level of competition especially on the road.

If both teams are mediocre, .500 teams (and they are), how is that the Islanders played down to the level of their competition?

Old
12-20-2003, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
If both teams are mediocre, .500 teams (and they are), how is that the Islanders played down to the level of their competition?
Let me 'splain it to you Lucy. Isles often play bad vs. bad teams, weak to average vs. average teams and good vs. good teams. Seems they rarely play well vs. bad to average teams and often beat good teams. It's been their M.O. for 2 years.

I'd think the question(s) you'd be more concerned with is -

Why are the $80 million Ranger$ a mediocre team?

(And why has the Ranger$ M.O. been that even with a top payroll they've been a bad to average team for 7 years?)

Closed Thread