HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philly gets Comrie

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2003, 10:43 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Philly gets Comrie

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...63&hubName=nhl

Scratch one small center off your Ranger wish list :p

Old
12-16-2003, 11:05 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...63&hubName=nhl

Scratch one small center off your Ranger wish list :p
I'm suprised.I don't think he's what Philly needs and with JR-Prims and Handzus down the middle who gets moved to wing or traded.

They already had Langkow who is a very similar player and I just don't see why they'd make this move.I'd have used assets in a trade to upgrade the defense with a legit offensive d-man if I wer them.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:16 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
I'm suprised.I don't think he's what Philly needs and with JR-Prims and Handzus down the middle who gets moved to wing or traded.

They already had Langkow who is a very similar player and I just don't see why they'd make this move.I'd have used assets in a trade to upgrade the defense with a legit offensive d-man if I wer them.
Actually, I think Comrie is exactly what Philly needed at forward (they STILL need a goalie, but that's been true since the last time we made the playoffs). Primeau and Handzus are both very good 3rd liners, but they cannot be relied on to create offense. Primeau hasn't scored 20 goals or 50 points in the last 2 years, and has 11 pts in 29 games this year. Hanzus scored 50 points once, and 20 goals twice in his career, and he has 16 pts in 30 games this year. 20 goals and 50 pts is what Comrie put up in a bad year. He'll be a good 2nd line center and allow Gagne to slide back over to LW, where he belongs.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:17 PM
Fletch

I guess that package's similar to...

Tjutin, Rangers' #1 pick (a high pick, no doubt) and a #3. Would anybody have done that? If the Rangers turned around and got something for Nedved, like a decent defenseman, perhaps. If they then traded Poti for a decent prospect and pick, perhaps. But that's too much to ask for...

Old
12-16-2003, 02:15 PM
King Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
Actually, I think Comrie is exactly what Philly needed at forward (they STILL need a goalie, but that's been true since the last time we made the playoffs). Primeau and Handzus are both very good 3rd liners, but they cannot be relied on to create offense. Primeau hasn't scored 20 goals or 50 points in the last 2 years, and has 11 pts in 29 games this year. Hanzus scored 50 points once, and 20 goals twice in his career, and he has 16 pts in 30 games this year. 20 goals and 50 pts is what Comrie put up in a bad year. He'll be a good 2nd line center and allow Gagne to slide back over to LW, where he belongs.

Actually, it is exactly what the Rangers NEEDED. That is WHY it didn't happen. He fit what the Rangers needed except for one small detail that couldn't be overlooked by the Rangers brass. He is under the age of 31. That IMMEDIATELY disqualified him from become a Ranger. So we move on. Maybe we can talk Doug Gilmore out of retirement.

Old
12-16-2003, 06:46 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Tjutin, Rangers' #1 pick (a high pick, no doubt) and a #3. Would anybody have done that? If the Rangers turned around and got something for Nedved, like a decent defenseman, perhaps. If they then traded Poti for a decent prospect and pick, perhaps. But that's too much to ask for...
Wouldn't have made sens for the Rangers to make that move.

Rangers need defenseman more than centers. Flyers, even with dealing Woywitka still have Johnsson, Pitkanen, Vandermeer, and Seidenberg 27 years old and younger, as well as a few other prospects.

Also the Rangers #1 pick is likely to be in the 12-18 range, where the Flyers will be in the 25-30 area.

Old
12-17-2003, 12:12 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Wouldn't have made sens for the Rangers to make that move.

Rangers need defenseman more than centers. Flyers, even with dealing Woywitka still have Johnsson, Pitkanen, Vandermeer, and Seidenberg 27 years old and younger, as well as a few other prospects.

Also the Rangers #1 pick is likely to be in the 12-18 range, where the Flyers will be in the 25-30 area.
Your right, It wouldn't have made much sense for us. Granted Comrie is young, but I wouldnt give up a guy like Tyutin because were so short on defensive prospects and I wouldnt have wanted to part with that pick. Adding to that smaller players usually arent as consistent in the Eastern Conference and he supposedly has a lousy attitude so I'm glad Sather restrained himself on this one.

Old
12-17-2003, 12:06 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Your right, It wouldn't have made much sense for us. Granted Comrie is young, but I wouldnt give up a guy like Tyutin because were so short on defensive prospects and I wouldnt have wanted to part with that pick.
Well that's true but John's correct in pointing out the value of the pick. If the Rangers deal their #1 they don't deal Tyutin because their pick has considerably more value than the Flyers' pick. It'll probably be the difference between the 15th pick and the 26th.

If you're allowing your trading partner to jump 11 selections in the first round, you don't have to give them your top defensive prospect.

Old
12-17-2003, 12:17 PM
Davisian

While I do think its a good move for the Flyers, I give the Comrie/Clarke relationship about a year..

Anyone else like these odds?? John???

John, if Comrie dons the Flyer jersey into next November, I owe you a twelve pack of Yuengling...

Old
12-17-2003, 12:25 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
While I do think its a good move for the Flyers, I give the Comrie/Clarke relationship about a year..

John, if Comrie dons the Flyer jersey into next November, I owe you a twelve pack of Yuengling...
I'm wondering about Hitchcock and Comrie.

I know a lot of Edmonton posters weren't enamored of his defensive responsibility.

If they're still getting along, Davisian owes John 2 twelve packs.

Old
12-17-2003, 12:31 PM
dedalus

Holy crap, Davisian! Is that Arwen Evenstar's pendant you have as an avatar?????

Man, you've REALLY got your nerd on!!!! :p

Old
12-17-2003, 01:10 PM
Slats432

Quote:
And the Oilers probably would have taken it from you too...

Old
12-17-2003, 02:59 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Well that's true but John's correct in pointing out the value of the pick. If the Rangers deal their #1 they don't deal Tyutin because their pick has considerably more value than the Flyers' pick. It'll probably be the difference between the 15th pick and the 26th.

If you're allowing your trading partner to jump 11 selections in the first round, you don't have to give them your top defensive prospect.

I disagree, Oilers would have wanted Tyutin & Rangers #1. Flyers had to add a 3rd round pick because their #1 is 10-15 picks later than the Rangers.

Old
12-17-2003, 03:01 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:

I'll gladly take that bet.

Old
12-17-2003, 03:08 PM
Barnaby

I dont know.... life is funny. Hitchcock and Comrie may be at each others throats in a month or maybe Hitchcock will be able to toughen up and inspire Comrie and get his best hockey out of him..... only Bilbo Baggins knows

Old
12-17-2003, 03:14 PM
dedalus

Quote:
I disagree, Oilers would have wanted Tyutin & Rangers #1. Flyers had to add a 3rd round pick because their #1 is 10-15 picks later than the Rangers.
That's sort of my point. The Rangers pay less somewhere along the line. Either they offer a lesser prospect with the 3rd rounder or they offer Tyutin and keep the extra pick (or give up a significantly lower one).

Old
12-17-2003, 03:56 PM
Fletch

John...

you're a glutton for punishment. Yuengling? I would've held out for the Stegmeier 1857. I can still remember those kegs of Yuengling, which sot $14 a pop!

Old
12-17-2003, 04:05 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
you're a glutton for punishment. Yuengling? I would've held out for the Stegmeier 1857. I can still remember those kegs of Yuengling, which sot $14 a pop!

Yuengling is goooooooooooooooooooood

Old
12-17-2003, 05:52 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
That's sort of my point. The Rangers pay less somewhere along the line. Either they offer a lesser prospect with the 3rd rounder or they offer Tyutin and keep the extra pick (or give up a significantly lower one).
Like it or not the Rangers were not in a situation to make a deal. They just dont have the depth. The little they have they should keep unless a top d-man comes along.

Old
12-18-2003, 03:58 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Man, you've REALLY got your nerd on!!!!
Are you suggesting that it was ever off??

Arwen.. Undomiel.. Elelome.. Evenstar..

While I always was and still remain a dork, I'm sure you can guess why "Arwen" is a focal point these days..

And John-

Yer ON!!

Old
12-18-2003, 04:29 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:

And John-

Yer ON!!
We could change the bet if you'd like.

How about

I get the number of goals Comrie scores for the Flyers during the playoffs this year.

You get, the number games the Rangers win in the playoffs this year.

Old
12-18-2003, 05:10 AM
Davisian

Quote:
How about

I get the number of goals Comrie scores for the Flyers during the playoffs this year.

You get, the number games the Rangers win in the playoffs this year.
While the former could be zero, the latter is very much more likely to be zero..

And two zero's would leave BOTH of us with no beer..

No goals for Comrie + no playoffs for the Ranger=No beer.. THAT is a lose lose my friend..!!..

Old
12-18-2003, 12:00 PM
dedalus

Quote:
While I always was and still remain a dork, I'm sure you can guess why "Arwen" is a focal point these days..
Ummm ... for her ability to steal parts from more deserving characters like, say, Glorfindel?

Anyway you know what I always say: "She ain't no Luthien Tinuviel, daughter of Elu Thingol, Elwe Singollo of the Sindar!"

Old
12-18-2003, 02:12 PM
Davisian

Quote:
"She ain't no Luthien Tinuviel, daughter of Elu Thingol, Elwe Singollo of the Sindar!"
"Among the tales of sorrow and of ruin that come down to us from the darkness of those days, there are yet some in which amid weeping there is joy and under the shadow of death, light that endures."

Check your PM's Beren the one hand..

Old
12-18-2003, 03:33 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Check your PM's Beren the one hand..
Hmm ... I was always partial to Turin myself.

And please let's not have any sister jokes.

Closed Thread