HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holik and Sather Differ on Rangers' Postseason

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2003, 03:50 AM
KING

vCash: 500
Holik and Sather Differ on Rangers' Postseason

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/18/sp...ey/18RANG.html

Old
12-18-2003, 05:03 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
"I've seen a lot more good games this year," Sather said. He added that some of the team's misfortune was a result of not getting enough lucky bounces or breaks.
Compare that to Holik's assessment:

Quote:
"It's like in a best-of-seven series: the better team wins," he said. "After 30 games, you can't say we are where we are because of bounces. That's just an excuse.
Every day, it becomes more clear to me how out of touch Sather is with the problems that prevent the Rangers from finding success. Truly frightening.

Old
12-18-2003, 05:10 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.

Every day, it becomes more clear to me how out of touch Sather is with the problems that prevent the Rangers from finding success. Truly frightening.
honestly what is sather going to say? we suck and we arent going to make the playoffs again? i dont think sather is out of touch with reality. i think anybody that takes what sather says to the press as what he really feels is out of touch with reality

Old
12-18-2003, 05:14 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:

Makes you yearn for the day of Blowzo the Clown and His "I don't know what to do, I just don't know"...At least he was honest about it...Instead we got this smug, delusional, arrogant for no reason ******** guiding this team to the 11th draft pick on a shoe-string budget of, what, 80 million...

Well, at least tonight should be interesting..

Old
12-18-2003, 05:33 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar jar links
i dont think sather is out of touch with reality.
Then you need to sit down and watch a Rangers game. The fact that this guy is " perplexed as to why the Rangers are in 10th place in the Eastern Conference after 30 games" blows my freakin' mind. Aren't you a little alarmed that Sather is blissfully complacent, even optimistic about this team's hopes despite the fact that they've been ***** slapped by all but the league's bottom feeders?

Old
12-18-2003, 05:40 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Then you need to sit down and watch a Rangers game. The fact that this guy is " perplexed as to why the Rangers are in 10th place in the Eastern Conference after 30 games" blows my freakin' mind. Aren't you a little alarmed that Sather is blissfully complacent, even optimistic about this team's hopes despite the fact that they've been ***** slapped by all but the league's bottom feeders?
no i just dont think he is going to tell the media we suck. i think sather knows the sitaution he is in. how can he not. i watch 80% of the games. i see the same things you guys do. whats really annoying is that when the rangers are playing well they really look like a great team. but its the same things over and over again.

Old
12-18-2003, 06:09 AM
wasting time

Sather is just spin doctoring his ineptitude in being a GM and Coach.

Holik doesn't care. He'll say it like it is. He's a winner and he's making $9 million. Good for him.

Old
12-18-2003, 07:39 AM
NYR469

Quote:
honestly what is sather going to say? we suck and we arent going to make the playoffs again? i dont think sather is out of touch with reality. i think anybody that takes what sather says to the press as what he really feels is out of touch with reality
saying something and believing it aren't necessarily the same thing...so i agree that we shouldn't worry about what sather says and only what he does...heck he flat out said to the camera on the draft insider show on msg that the media wants to know everything, but you don't want them to know anything so you have to give them something without saying anything (or something to that effect)...

but the problem is when his actions indicate he isn't just saying it but believes it

Old
12-18-2003, 08:07 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
i just dont think he is going to tell the media we suck.
And that's my problem. His answer to deepening Ranger woes is yet another empty playoff proclamation.

Here's some examples of people who had the sack to call it like it is.

Ted Leonsis

Quote:
"We can't score goals, we can't stop goals, we aren't hitting, we can't play on special teams. . . we all stink".
Or how about Dallas owner Tom Hicks talking about a team that has ammassed 1 more point than the Rangers this season!

Quote:
My hockey team is playing like garbage. If they don't [improve], we're not going to sit here and have one of the highest payroll teams in the league and be way under .500. They'll either get better, or we'll make changes.
There are people who demand performance and aren't afraid to say it publically. Throw the fans a bone and tell them that at very least, you feel their pain and you demand the same thing they do. Considering the venemous environment of the Garden these days, a little PR could go a LONG way for Sather.

Old
12-18-2003, 08:13 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Considering the venemous environment of the Garden these days, a little PR could go a LONG way for Sather.
Funny that you should mention the environment. Tonight is going to be very interesting. If things do not go Sather's way tonight, there may be some very anti-Sather chants going.

Old
12-18-2003, 08:14 AM
Mark Pavelich

Send a message via AIM to Mark Pavelich
Bill Parcells said it best "You are what your record says you are"

Old
12-18-2003, 08:16 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Pavelich
Bill Parcells said it best "You are what your record says you are"
That's why Parcells is Parcells and Sather is Sather.

Old
12-18-2003, 08:18 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
And that's my problem. His answer to deepening Ranger woes is yet another empty playoff proclamation.

Here's some examples of people who had the sack to call it like it is.

Ted Leonsis

Or how about Dallas owner Tom Hicks talking about a team that has ammassed 1 more point than the Rangers this season!

There are people who demand performance and aren't afraid to say it publically. Throw the fans a bone and tell them that at very least, you feel their pain and you demand the same thing they do. Considering the venemous environment of the Garden these days, a little PR could go a LONG way for Sather.
i dont disagree with you. i just dont think sather was being truthful with his assesment of the team. i think sather knows he will not survive missing the playoffs. i know dolan gave him the vote of confidence but i think sather will either resign or get fired. just my thoughts

Old
12-18-2003, 08:37 AM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
i know dolan gave him the vote of confidence but i think sather will either resign or get fired. just my thoughts

I'll tell you one thing Sather would NEVER resign. His ego is too big to let him do that.

Old
12-18-2003, 08:43 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown
I'll tell you one thing Sather would NEVER resign. His ego is too big to let him do that.
i think his ego will not allow him to miss the playoffs for 5 years. he will not put himself in that postion

Old
12-18-2003, 08:47 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

My respect for Mr. Holik has grown. He tells it how it is, doesn't pull punches, and despite his lazy offseason a year ago, he's come back and is the workhorse of this team.

Did Sather vastly overpay for him? Of course, but I won't hold that against Holik. It's nice to see that if and when Slats leaves (please, please, PLEASE let it be soon) he at least got the right man to one day don the captaincy and spearhead this team's rebuilding phase.

Old
12-18-2003, 08:49 AM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
i think his ego will not allow him to miss the playoffs for 5 years. he will not put himself in that postion

I guess we'll find out who's right at the end of the season huh?

Old
12-18-2003, 08:59 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican
Did Sather vastly overpay for him? Of course, but I won't hold that against Holik. It's nice to see that if and when Slats leaves (please, please, PLEASE let it be soon) he at least got the right man to one day don the captaincy and spearhead this team's rebuilding phase.
I'm sorry, but that's not Holik. He loves to talk and spout off as long as somebody else is seen as the leader, but he admittedley doesn't want the pressure or to be the "man" on or off the ice...i wish that were not the case becasue as long as he's walking the walking, he needs to be the one realist who reminds the team of what is actually going down..WHo knows, maybe he will be so sick of what has happend the past two years that he will finally be ready to take on the repsonsibility of captain...

Old
12-18-2003, 09:29 AM
Laches

Quote:
i dont disagree with you. i just dont think sather was being truthful with his assesment of the team.
---And you don't have a problem with that? What possible benefit is there to him lying about it? You're telling me, essentially, that he, like everyone else, recognizes the problems (lack of effort, lack of dedication, lack of discipline, etc.) but instead of telling it like it is, attributes the team's woes to non-specific forces beyond its control? Realizing the problem and pretending it doesn't exist is in some ways even worse than being completely ignorant of it.

Old
12-18-2003, 10:57 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Was very interested to read this thread, as I wanted to see the reaction to Holik's comments. That is, is he a guy who can never shut up and is a habitual contrarian? Or a real leader? Not sure where I would come down if I were a teammate vs. an NYR fan vs. his coach/GM. That said, as none of the above, I find his take in this instance refreshingly honest and hard to argue. It applies to all teams in all sports: excuses are just that. Parcells nailed it with his often-quoted observation.

Melrose Jr.: your point about telling it like it is (shades of Howard Cosell :p ) is well taken. Worth noting, however, that Sather is coach/GM. Leonis and Hicks are owners, as you know.

Old
12-18-2003, 11:11 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

i think the problem is that the rangers stink. sather instead of acknowledging that improvements must be made is making a "we can work through this" type of stance. our mediocrity will not suffice! perhaps sather feels the team psyche is so fragile that he can't say anything bad. like a parent who uses only encouragement to push their children, the children become detached from reality and their problems. only holik seems to know the score. him and pascal rheaume

Old
12-18-2003, 11:28 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Melrose Jr.: your point about telling it like it is (shades of Howard Cosell :p ) is well taken. Worth noting, however, that Sather is coach/GM. Leonis and Hicks are owners, as you know.
True, but who fears Jimmy Dolan? Sather has total autonomy and everyone knows it. If someone's going to come out and challenge the team, it has to be the person who weilds the power.

Obviously, calling out the entire team, saying their playing like garbage or "we all stink" is an extreme. Jar jar's right ( ), I wouldn't expect that from Sather. But to chalk a losing record up to "bad bounces" and then uttering another hollow playoff guarantee, I mean, come on! Give the fans a little credit here Glen.

Old
12-18-2003, 12:09 PM
dedalus

Quote:
I mean, come on! Give the fans a little credit here Glen.
He does. He credits the fans for making his team miss the playoffs last year.

Closed Thread