HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers win Stanley Cup 2013

Old
04-10-2007, 03:34 PM
TheCaptain11

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to TheCaptain11 Send a message via AIM to TheCaptain11 Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain11
Rangers win Stanley Cup 2013

Sanguinetti, Rangers beat Storm for first Stanley Cup title

New York, N.Y. (AP) -- Rob Sanguinetti lifted the Stanley Cup above his head, tears of joy streaming down his face. This one was for the captain and all those New York old-timers whose names are going on hockey's most revered trophy for the first time.

Of course, they couldn't have done it without the kid.

Rookie goalie Frosty Messier stopped nearly everything that came his way, finishing off a brilliant playoffs with a rock-solid performance in Game 7. The Rangers skated away with the Stanley Cup, beating Seattle 3-1 in the winner-take-all finale Monday night.

"It's just surreal," said Sanguinetti, the team's 35-year-old captain, his eyes still red after he left ice. "The guys on this team have been through years and years of heartache. After Game 6, I knew there's no way we were letting this go. Too many guys on this team deserve it."

A couple of low-scoring defenseman, Fifi Berard and Aaron Leetch, put New York ahead. Veteran Ryan Callahan finished off the Storm, scoring an empty-net goal with 1:01 remaining after Seattle playoff star Bork Bourque broke up Messier's shutout early in the third.

Storm defenseman Reggie Ozolinsch, a stalwart throughout the playoffs, gave up the puck in the New York zone and wound up making a helpless dive to block Leetchs' gimme into the goal that had been vacated by Phlan Bonk in favor of an extra skater.

Alex Bourret leaped in the air after Leetchs shot went in. The crowd of nearly 24,000, which stood throughout the game, went into a frenzy.

"I can't describe it," said Dubinsky, who lost in two previous trips to the finals while playing for Anaheim before being resigned by the Rangers as a free agent. "Both times were gut-wrenching. I've got the scars. But tonight, all that work, all that hard work, and our team winning, it all paid off."

It paid off, too, for Dane Byers, Hugh Jessiman and Clyde Graves. Along with Sanguinetti and Callahan, they had been in the league for a total of 78 seasons without winning the Cup.

Now, they'll all get their names on it. Jessiman, who didn't play because of an injured right shoulder, put on his uniform and came out to hoist the Cup. It tilted a bit to the right side, but he didn't come close to dropping it.

He and the others waited too long to slip up now.

"I still can't believe it," said Staal, a 37-year-old defenseman who might retire now that he has his title. "It honestly feels like a dream to me."

Messier, the Conn Smythe Trophy winner as the most valuable player in the playoffs, wasn't even New Yorks' No. 1 goalie at the beginning of the postseason, but the 22-year-old rookie got the call when Al Montoya struggled in an opening round against Montreal.

The young star wound up winning more games in the playoffs (15) than he did backing up Montoya during the regular season (14).

"The kid came in when we were down and out," Sanguinetti said. "He brought us to life. Goaltending wins championships, make no mistake about it. We had the best goalie in the playoffs."

TheCaptain11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 03:38 PM
fob

hahahaha that was hilarious.

Very well done.

fob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 03:44 PM
broadwayblue

Sanguinetti is going to be 35 in 6 years? Wasn't he just drafted?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I think this is another bad EHM joke.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 03:46 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain11 View Post
Sanguinetti, Rangers beat Storm for first Stanley Cup title

New York, N.Y. (AP) -- Rob Sanguinetti lifted the Stanley Cup above his head, tears of joy streaming down his face. This one was for the captain and all those New York old-timers whose names are going on hockey's most revered trophy for the first time.

Of course, they couldn't have done it without the kid.

Rookie goalie Frosty Messier stopped nearly everything that came his way, finishing off a brilliant playoffs with a rock-solid performance in Game 7. The Rangers skated away with the Stanley Cup, beating Seattle 3-1 in the winner-take-all finale Monday night.

"It's just surreal," said Sanguinetti, the team's 35-year-old captain, his eyes still red after he left ice. "The guys on this team have been through years and years of heartache. After Game 6, I knew there's no way we were letting this go. Too many guys on this team deserve it."

A couple of low-scoring defenseman, Fifi Berard and Aaron Leetch, put New York ahead. Veteran Ryan Callahan finished off the Storm, scoring an empty-net goal with 1:01 remaining after Seattle playoff star Bork Bourque broke up Messier's shutout early in the third.

Storm defenseman Reggie Ozolinsch, a stalwart throughout the playoffs, gave up the puck in the New York zone and wound up making a helpless dive to block Leetchs' gimme into the goal that had been vacated by Phlan Bonk in favor of an extra skater.

Alex Bourret leaped in the air after Leetchs shot went in. The crowd of nearly 24,000, which stood throughout the game, went into a frenzy.

"I can't describe it," said Dubinsky, who lost in two previous trips to the finals while playing for Anaheim before being resigned by the Rangers as a free agent. "Both times were gut-wrenching. I've got the scars. But tonight, all that work, all that hard work, and our team winning, it all paid off."

It paid off, too, for Dane Byers, Hugh Jessiman and Clyde Graves. Along with Sanguinetti and Callahan, they had been in the league for a total of 78 seasons without winning the Cup.

Now, they'll all get their names on it. Jessiman, who didn't play because of an injured right shoulder, put on his uniform and came out to hoist the Cup. It tilted a bit to the right side, but he didn't come close to dropping it.

He and the others waited too long to slip up now.

"I still can't believe it," said Staal, a 37-year-old defenseman who might retire now that he has his title. "It honestly feels like a dream to me."

Messier, the Conn Smythe Trophy winner as the most valuable player in the playoffs, wasn't even New Yorks' No. 1 goalie at the beginning of the postseason, but the 22-year-old rookie got the call when Al Montoya struggled in an opening round against Montreal.

The young star wound up winning more games in the playoffs (15) than he did backing up Montoya during the regular season (14).

"The kid came in when we were down and out," Sanguinetti said. "He brought us to life. Goaltending wins championships, make no mistake about it. We had the best goalie in the playoffs."
Link?

04-10-2007, 04:25 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

meh. waste of a thread IMO.

There are enough out there as it is.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Choice

20 seconds I will never have again....

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 04:56 PM
kovalev27hf

jesus bobby pasta will be 35 in 6 years as opposed to 26? damn playing in new york can age you fast

kovalev27hf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 11:23 PM
cheifshockey23

hmmm very creative writing ill give you that , but according to the mayans this could never happen being that the world will end December 21, 2012 ,anyways lets go rangers cup in 2007-2012

cheifshockey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Kashew*

Send a message via AIM to Kashew* Send a message via MSN to Kashew*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Link?
you can't link to the future, silly goose.

Kashew* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
LOL.

This is an article that appeared after the Hurricanes won last season. He just substituted the names.

Sanguinetti is Brind'amour. Messier is Cam Ward. Aaron Leetch is Aaron Ward. Jessiman is Doug Weight.

etc. etc. etc.

Funny you guys didn't catch it.

I like it, it was funny.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 12:11 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
LOL.

This is an article that appeared after the Hurricanes won last season. He just substituted the names.

Sanguinetti is Brind'amour. Messier is Cam Ward. Aaron Leetch is Aaron Ward. Jessiman is Doug Weight.

etc. etc. etc.

Funny you guys didn't catch it.

I like it, it was funny.
O0o0O0o yea, Now I get wait, wait a sec, let me laugh now...........
NOT!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Block More Shots

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

(Billy Madison....couldn't resist)

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 08:06 PM
hlundqvist30*