HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues Have The 9th Pick; Chicago Picks 1st

Old
04-10-2007, 05:17 PM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
Blues Have The 9th Pick; Chicago Picks 1st

Here it is boyz.

Let the games begin. Who goes #1?

The Blues pick 9th. IMO the Blues should take the best player available, regardless of position. Or trade up for a targeted player.

1. Chicago
2. Philadelphia
3. Phoenix
4. Los Angeles
5. Washington
6. Edmonton
7. Columbus
8. Boston
9. St. Louis
10. Florida
11. Carolina
12. Montreal
13. Toronto
14. Colorado
15-30 To be determined at playoffs' conclusion

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 05:20 PM
elicw10

hmmm

This draft has 8 guys who could go #1. get into at least the 8th slot and take the leftover player.

elicw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 05:25 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicw10 View Post
This draft has 8 guys who could go #1. get into at least the 8th slot and take the leftover player.

Agree about the top 8. My plan - hope one of them falls to 9 or else trade down.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Bluester

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Agree about the top 8. My plan - hope one of them falls to 9 or else trade down.
With all our draft picks if one guy stands out to Jarmo, say in the 5-8 range, why not move up to get him?

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 06:51 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluester View Post
With all our draft picks if one guy stands out to Jarmo, say in the 5-8 range, why not move up to get him?
Jarmo knows best. But I'd rather have two first round players instead of just one.

Old
04-10-2007, 07:32 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Notwithstanding the knowledge that Jarmo uses his own (obviously strong) system to rank players, I am interested to see the April rankings from the different services. While there is kind of a "top 8" (with Gagner and Couture kind of always being on the bottom end of that) for the moment, these things are still in flux as these guys still have important games left in the season to establish where they deserve to go.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 11:30 PM
fan in oregon

Hey Chicago do you think the Hawks would be interested in deal for the pick
say how about the pick for T.J. Oshie Then you would Oshie And Toews. You
probably get Duncan too. Iknow Blues fan might think its crazy but we could get
Patrik Kane and then with 9 we could get Sam Gagner. opinions?

fan in oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 12:09 AM
milieu bluez

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan in oregon View Post
Iknow Blues fan might think its crazy
yep!

milieu bluez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 12:31 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Keep in mind that trading for an earlier pick isn't guaranteed. A lot of people like to talk about trading up/down like it's no problem. But the teams who pick ahead of the Blues want their earlier picks for the same reason the Blues would want them. So unless they find the perfect trading partner, it might not be possible to trade up without overpaying. I know that if I were the GM of a team with one of the top 8 picks, if I perceived a significant drop-off after #8, I'd want a high quality prospect in return instead of a package of worse picks.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 08:55 AM
blueshead

Quote:

I might be crazy too, but knowing what I know about Oshie and what I don't know about Kane, I would not trade Oshie and a high pick for Kane. I am not sold on Kane being the sure fire thing. primarily based on his size. And I have alot more confidence in Jarmo knowing what he is doing with a pick later in the first round. If Chicago trades the number 1 pick I would bet that either the berlin wall or Aucion has to be part of it. So since this is a message board where every idea has to be crazy, how about Cajanek for all three....that's a cash flow deal that could warm Wirtz's heart

blueshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 10:58 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshead View Post
I might be crazy too, but knowing what I know about Oshie and what I don't know about Kane, I would not trade Oshie and a high pick for Kane. I am not sold on Kane being the sure fire thing. primarily based on his size. And I have alot more confidence in Jarmo knowing what he is doing with a pick later in the first round. If Chicago trades the number 1 pick I would bet that either the berlin wall or Aucion has to be part of it. So since this is a message board where every idea has to be crazy, how about Cajanek for all three....that's a cash flow deal that could warm Wirtz's heart
Ummm...

Uhhhh...

are you actually suggesting Cajanek for #1 pick in 2007, Khabibulin AND Aucoin as a fair trade?
The same Cajanek who we WAIVED near the end of this very season (READ: Only months ago)

wow.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 11:02 AM
2ForRoughing*

Quote:
the less said about your post the better. Handing the Hawks Oshie and Toews is simply asinine, at best.

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
Ummm...

Uhhhh...

are you actually suggesting Cajanek for #1 pick in 2007, Khabibulin AND Aucoin as a fair trade?
The same Cajanek who we WAIVED near the end of this very season (READ: Only months ago)

wow.
Saving $8 million a year for '07-08 and '08-09 is an idea that would warm whatever was left of Bill Wirtz's heart. Chicago's GM would never go for it, but Wirtz would probably get giddy at the thought of hoarding even more cash instead of spending it on the team if Blackhawks fans aren't going to show up for games.

Read: the premise was that "here's a crazy idea", that one certainly was.

04-11-2007, 12:16 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Sure Wirtz is a cheapskate but that would be the death knell you gotta figure. Khabibulin was supposed to be the franchise goaltender. Aucoin is pretty much the heart and soul of the team. AND the #1 overall pick.

For Cajanek

I mean I'd want to offer a reach around for that at least. Its just unrealistic, saving money be damned. Crawford is waiting in the wings, but he's not ready.

Lets not even get on the topic of the deadweight salary that would be a millstone around the Blues neck after the trade.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 12:54 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
Sure Wirtz is a cheapskate but that would be the death knell you gotta figure. Khabibulin was supposed to be the franchise goaltender. Aucoin is pretty much the heart and soul of the team. AND the #1 overall pick.

For Cajanek

I mean I'd want to offer a reach around for that at least. Its just unrealistic, saving money be damned. Crawford is waiting in the wings, but he's not ready.

Lets not even get on the topic of the deadweight salary that would be a millstone around the Blues neck after the trade.
Was that post not obviously a joke to you? The poster was using hyperbole to illustrate his point that trading Oshie to Chicago would be a horrible idea, just like from Chicago's point of view, trading those guys for Cajanek would be horrible. It makes some sense for Oshie and Toews to land on the same team, and it makes some sense for the Blues to want the top pick, just as it makes some sense for Wirtz to continue to hurt his franchise by making stupid penny-pinching moves. That post was comparing those tiny slivers of sense and saying they're about the same size.

Old
04-11-2007, 01:45 PM
MU_Beerman

Spectors has a rumor that Philly would be willing to move down for the right package, file this post in the duh category but it is food for thought...

MU_Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 01:49 PM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
IB, who are you liking at no. 9?

coolhandluke2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 02:38 PM
2ForRoughing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue44 View Post
IB, who are you liking at no. 9?
yeah, and where da baby daddy be at? huh?

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Plager05

What about the Blues 2nd rounder and our number 9 for the the #2? Would that deal be fair? It would hopefully net Jarmo the number one guy one his list, assuming its not the same as Chicago's.

Plager05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Rush11

Anyone else get the feeling that the Central Division will be a battle between the Blues & Hawks in about 4 or 5 years?

Shouldn't Columbus be better by now?

Rush11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 04:11 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush11 View Post
Anyone else get the feeling that the Central Division will be a battle between the Blues & Hawks in about 4 or 5 years?

Shouldn't Columbus be better by now?
Nashville will still be in there. They still have a strong stable of youngsters. Even though the Hawks will have a pile of top quality prospects, it's likely that their management will find a way to mess it up. And Detroit is going to decline with the eventual exit of Chelios, Hasek, Schneider, and maybe Lang, but they draft well. The Central will be tough overall, not just a couple of teams duking it out.

And yes, Columbus should be better. Nash and Zherdev weren't as dominant as they have shown they can be. Their goaltending has been up and down. It seems like they've drafted well, but have not grown their players and built around them properly. But hey, they set a franchise record in points and were only one win behind the Blues this year. They will continue to improve, but not as quickly as St. Louis and, theoretically, Chicago.

Old
04-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Irish Blues

So everyone knows where we're picking:

1st: 9th, 24th* (Atlanta), 26th* (New Jersey)
2nd: 39th
3rd: 69th, 79th (Minnesota)
4th: 95th (Chicago), 99th
5th: no pick
6th: 159th
7th: 189th

Notes
1. Atlanta's 1st and Minnesota's 3rd obtained in the trade for Tkachuk
2. New Jersey's 1st obtained from San Jose in the trade for Guerin
3. Chicago's 4th obtained from Carolina in the trade in 2006 for Weight
4. Our 5th traded to Boston for Yan Stastny.
5. Draft positions for picks other than the #9 overall are tentative depending on
-- Final playoff results for the two 1st-round picks,
-- The awarding of any compensatory picks for unsigned 1st round selections from past drafts (those picks would fall in the 2nd round)

Current positioning of picks 15-30 (teams who have advanced in blue, teams eliminated in red, teams currently playing in purple)
15. Edmonton (acquired from NY Islanders)
16. Anaheim (acquired from Tampa Bay)
17. NY Rangers
18. Calgary
19. Minnesota
20. Pittsburgh
21. Phoenix (from Dallas)
22. Montreal (from San Jose)
23. Nashville
24. St. Louis (from Atlanta, division champion)
25. Vancouver (division champion)
26. St. Louis (from New Jersey, division champion)
27. Edmonton (from Anaheim, division champion)
28. Washington (from Buffalo, division champion)
29. Ottawa
30. Detroit (division champion)

-- Spots 15 through 26 are locked in; additionally, Buffalo will definitely pick 28, putting the loser of the WCF at 27th.
-- The Atlanta pick will be 24th, the New Jersey pick will be 26th.
-- Detroit's pick is conditional to Florida depending on team progression in the playoffs and what Bertuzzi does in the playoffs; other than that, I don't know any more details on this.

Last edited by Irish Blues: 05-20-2007 at 11:01 PM.
Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 01:50 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
I didn't realize it was Minny's pick we obtained in the 3d round. That will come no higher than 76 and no lower than 79 though. 79 right now. Calgary in the conference finals nudges it a spot and any of NYI, NYR or Tampa in the conference finals (2 max) edge it further.

And, I am sure you know this but for some others, there is no difference being eliminated in round 1 or 2. For example, the Rangers (94 pts) don't move past the Penguins (105 pts) if they lose in the next round.

For Blues self-interest, as many low seeds getting into the conference finals as possible is what we want. That would shove Atlanta back to 21 and NJ back to 23 (the best we can hope for from those picks).

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Irish Blues

If the Rangers make the conference finals, they'd move back to at least 27th. A lot of this will be more clear after the 2nd round. You're right on Minnesota, I was still counting Atlanta in front of them and they won't be.

Jayzin Smith is indicating that we got Minnesota's pick from Atlanta, I'll check for a 2nd source to confirm that.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 03:58 PM
execwrite

What is the highest (closest to number one) the Atlanta and New Jersey first round picks could be? Doesn't look like they will be much higher than 25th? Is that true?

thanks