HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you think the "Change in 07" means?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-10-2007, 11:14 PM
  #1
WashCapsfan4life8
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
What do you think the "Change in 07" means?

What do you think? Players? Jerseys? Team? I'm thinkin jerseys.

And its good to be back here

WashCapsfan4life8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 12:31 AM
  #2
Chimaera
same ol' Caps
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: La Plata, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 22,352
vCash: 500
it has been said they're getting new jerseys.

they're going back to the red white blue scheme. But no word on the design.

Borro is that you?

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 03:18 AM
  #3
LadyIce
Registered User
 
LadyIce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: DC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,551
vCash: 500
I'm guessing the new uniforms. The only question is when do they unveil it...before the Draft so the new picks can put on the new colors, or a few weeks later when/if they introduce a new FA.

As a last resort they could also hold off until around the MLB All Star game when nothing else is going on so that they get all the press.

LadyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 07:34 AM
  #4
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 30,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Borro is that you?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 08:34 AM
  #5
The Viking Fury
Registered User
 
The Viking Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,646
vCash: 500
Means new jerseys... but they better also mean some good players.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 11:20 AM
  #6
HockeyCritter
Registered User
 
HockeyCritter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,656
vCash: 500
Jerseys.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 12:30 PM
  #7
The Dude
Registered User
 
The Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 380
vCash: 500
I read it to refer not only to the jerseys, but also to the on-ice product. I think the team is trying to combine the new jersey plus the anticipated new players into a "fresh start" marketing approach.

The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 12:31 PM
  #8
bottleCAPS
Registered User
 
bottleCAPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,493
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
definitley jerseys but could also mean McPhee is gonna spend the cash.. if the cap goes up then WSH will have to spend SOME money just to hit the floor.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 01:33 PM
  #9
HckyFght*
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 442
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HckyFght*
After the last game of the season, Leonsis was in the locker room saying that the team has spent the last two years acquiring and evaluating what he calls "assets." That evaluation period wil end when the Bears season ends and now, knowing we have the 5th over-all and a later first rounder, there are plenty of "assets" to make any manner of combination deals for tried and true players. I have a hard time being cynical and saying the "Change" the team is referring to is merely the uniforms. That being said, we will now see if GMGM is truly our man. He's got a lot to work with and a great big league full of wiley GM's and owners with which to contend. It is my opinion that a few well placed players, and prospects we have yet to hear from, could give this team a lot of jump, excitement, and pizzaz next season. We've suffered enough. That's for sure. But Owner and GM have grown together through lotsa big stake gambles and had their hat handed to them often enough, they ought to know by now how to get it done. Oddly enough I have faith. Why I'm not sure. But ruthless self-appraisal does eventually, bring rewards.
-HckyFght!
"Proud Resident of Section 417"

HckyFght* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 02:14 PM
  #10
WashCapsfan4life8
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HckyFght View Post
After the last game of the season, Leonsis was in the locker room saying that the team has spent the last two years acquiring and evaluating what he calls "assets." That evaluation period wil end when the Bears season ends and now, knowing we have the 5th over-all and a later first rounder, there are plenty of "assets" to make any manner of combination deals for tried and true players. I have a hard time being cynical and saying the "Change" the team is referring to is merely the uniforms. That being said, we will now see if GMGM is truly our man. He's got a lot to work with and a great big league full of wiley GM's and owners with which to contend. It is my opinion that a few well placed players, and prospects we have yet to hear from, could give this team a lot of jump, excitement, and pizzaz next season. We've suffered enough. That's for sure. But Owner and GM have grown together through lotsa big stake gambles and had their hat handed to them often enough, they ought to know by now how to get it done. Oddly enough I have faith. Why I'm not sure. But ruthless self-appraisal does eventually, bring rewards.
-HckyFght!
"Proud Resident of Section 417"
I agree. I was also thinkin that the big change was that McPhee is going to be busy with the FA this year and hopefully bring some new good players in.

WashCapsfan4life8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 02:32 PM
  #11
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,648
vCash: 500
Ask yourself this:

Question: If the Caps weren't changing uni's would they have this "change is coming" banner without the RWB colors shining through???? I'm sure most would say a resounding no.

Question: If the Caps were changing uni's but were a Buffalo-type team would they have a "change is coming" promotion after the Stanley Cup?? I'd say yes.

This team is a business and operates as such. It will send out press releases and promotions only when they are about to officially annouce something ie new uniforms. When they make roster changes later, you'll be hearing promotions about "new and improved Caps" and all that BS then. No organization in their right mind is going to start "campaign promising" about a new roster now.

Is there a hint of roster changes... sure. But its only due to the confluence (yes I know its a Pittsburgh term) of the expected roster changes within the larger, and more concrete uniform changes.

That is all.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 02:42 PM
  #12
WashCapsfan4life8
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heshootshescores View Post
Ask yourself this:

Question: If the Caps weren't changing uni's would they have this "change is coming" banner without the RWB colors shining through???? I'm sure most would say a resounding no.

Question: If the Caps were changing uni's but were a Buffalo-type team would they have a "change is coming" promotion after the Stanley Cup?? I'd say yes.

This team is a business and operates as such. It will send out press releases and promotions only when they are about to officially annouce something ie new uniforms. When they make roster changes later, you'll be hearing promotions about "new and improved Caps" and all that BS then. No organization in their right mind is going to start "campaign promising" about a new roster now.

Is there a hint of roster changes... sure. But its only due to the confluence (yes I know its a Pittsburgh term) of the expected roster changes within the larger, and more concrete uniform changes.

That is all.
Anything could happen you never know, unless you work with McPhee and/or Leonsis, or any other person inside the caps know then you can know, nut only time will tell eh?

WashCapsfan4life8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 03:01 PM
  #13
C-A-P-S
Registered User
 
C-A-P-S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,031
vCash: 500
It means they're moving to the Sacagawea 1 Dollar Coin.

Brace youself...

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 03:04 PM
  #14
WashCapsfan4life8
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
It means they're moving to the Sacagawea 1 Dollar Coin.

Brace youself...

WashCapsfan4life8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 07:29 PM
  #15
Bananas
****
 
Bananas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,681
vCash: 500
Change is coming means no one on the roster is safe except Ovi, Semin, and Kolzig. I'm all for it as long as they get some change done without sending away their top 5 pick. I see absolutely no need to mortgage that player for anyone currently on another teams roster unless we're talking a serious young talent. We have plenty of other assets to trade away. This should be our last top ten pick for a while... hopefully.

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 07:38 PM
  #16
The Viking Fury
Registered User
 
The Viking Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,646
vCash: 500
No it only means the unis. The fact that they also need turnover on the roster t omake this a playoff team again is coincidental.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 07:55 PM
  #17
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 29,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeesBestIce View Post
I'm all for it as long as they get some change done without sending away their top 5 pick. I see absolutely no need to mortgage that player for anyone currently on another teams roster unless we're talking a serious young talent.
Yup....I feel the same. A top 5 pick in this years draft isn't bringing an instant star, so it shouldn't need to be dealt, and I would prefer it wasn't.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 08:44 PM
  #18
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 44,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeesBestIce View Post
Change is coming means no one on the roster is safe except Ovi, Semin, and Kolzig. I'm all for it as long as they get some change done without sending away their top 5 pick. I see absolutely no need to mortgage that player for anyone currently on another teams roster unless we're talking a serious young talent. We have plenty of other assets to trade away. This should be our last top ten pick for a while... hopefully.
I see no reason to discount the trading of the top 5 pick. The player that the Capitals get with that pick is not projected to have a roster impact for between 2 to 4 seasons out.

That means that player may not be on the roster worst case, beyond his rookie season best case before Ovechkin reaches UFA status.

The clock is ticking on this rebuild, like it or not. They have three years maximum with Kolzig before they enter the crapshoot of trying to replace him. Then the countdown on OV starts.

I think its fair to say that the base foundation of a winning team already is on the roster. What they lack is what they can not draft and develope themselves. Experience.

If this draft offered them a player that was capable of jumping right into the lineup and having a real impact, I would say use the pick. It doesn't and the clock is ticking.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 09:08 PM
  #19
Cush
Winny!
 
Cush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 10,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
If this draft offered them a player that was capable of jumping right into the lineup and having a real impact, I would say use the pick. It doesn't and the clock is ticking.
did anyone think Jordan Staal would be playing in the NHL, let alone have 29 goals? Also. look at Patrice Bergeron a few years back. Does this mean someone from this class would make the jump next season? No, but you can never count it out.

Edit: Not saying anyone that Caps would draft would be playing next year. I just think there is more risk with trading it, near term and long term.


Last edited by Cush: 04-11-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 10:38 PM
  #20
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 29,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I see no reason to discount the trading of the top 5 pick. The player that the Capitals get with that pick is not projected to have a roster impact for between 2 to 4 seasons out.

That means that player may not be on the roster worst case, beyond his rookie season best case before Ovechkin reaches UFA status.

The clock is ticking on this rebuild, like it or not. They have three years maximum with Kolzig before they enter the crapshoot of trying to replace him. Then the countdown on OV starts.

I think its fair to say that the base foundation of a winning team already is on the roster. What they lack is what they can not draft and develope themselves. Experience.

If this draft offered them a player that was capable of jumping right into the lineup and having a real impact, I would say use the pick. It doesn't and the clock is ticking.
I think it's time to accept that Kolzig isn't going to be here when this team challenges for a Cup.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 10:39 PM
  #21
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 29,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
did anyone think Jordan Staal would be playing in the NHL, let alone have 29 goals?
I think the answer is yes...many thought he would play this season beacuse he already had an NHL body. I don't think many predicted his goal scoring success.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 09:34 AM
  #22
HockeyCritter
Registered User
 
HockeyCritter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
I think the answer is yes...many thought he would play this season beacuse he already had an NHL body. I don't think many predicted his goal scoring success.
The only reason Staal even got a shot at the NHL roster is because Recchi injured Malkin just before the season began. If that didnít happen, Staal gets sent back to juniors and the Pens have a different season.

Credit the boy for making the most of an opportunity.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 10:12 AM
  #23
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
That means that player may not be on the roster worst case, beyond his rookie season best case before Ovechkin reaches UFA status.
While I agree it could go, your statement here is all the more reason to keep the pick IMHO.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 10:18 AM
  #24
Jasper17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
The only reason Staal even got a shot at the NHL roster is because Recchi injured Malkin just before the season began. If that didnít happen, Staal gets sent back to juniors and the Pens have a different season.

Credit the boy for making the most of an opportunity.
I think your wrong here, i think most fully expected Staal to make the club this year. No one expected him to be the player he is so quickly, but I am pretty sure it was always in the Pens plans to have him at least as the 4th line center.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 10:34 AM
  #25
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
I think your wrong here, i think most fully expected Staal to make the club this year. No one expected him to be the player he is so quickly, but I am pretty sure it was always in the Pens plans to have him at least as the 4th line center.
I have no data points or articles that state such plans one way or another, I don't agree with this statement. If you have anything please show or let us know what brings along this thought.

I followed Staal last year about as closely as I could from my computer . He was the one I wanted all last year and I was really disappointed when things started coming together along the end of the season that Pitt liked him #2. Never during that time did I hear one person say he was NHL-ready. All I ever heard was no one was for sure and maybe, just maybe Kessel and Backstrom.

Second, all I heard was surprise when he made the team but, enjoy your 10 days kid. I remember hearing Jordon mention that his brother just told him to enjoy his time and work hard, cause that's all he could control.

Then, when the 10 game keep or reassign decision point was coming up for Staal and Letang, people said it was pretty gutsy of the Pens to keep him up cause its early in the season, no one expected the Pens to compete, and here they are burning one of his RFA years early especially given that now Malkin and him will hit UFA together a year after Sid.

Now this is just my recollection. Not trying to jump on you but would like to hear why you remember opposite.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.