HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tarik says 07-08 Playoffs or Bust

Old
04-11-2007, 11:44 AM
LSF76

vCash: 500
I will be very surprised if the Caps don't trade at least one of their young defensmen this offseason, probably Eminger.

Critter, why don't we see Limekitty around the official boards anymore?

LSF76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 12:24 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSF76 View Post
I will be very surprised if the Caps don't trade at least one of their young defensmen this offseason, probably Eminger.

Critter, why don't we see Limekitty around the official boards anymore?
Cuz it's the OBs?

I wouldn't mind seeing Emmy moved in a package, heck there isn't many of our young guys I wouldn't mind seeing shipped out if it improves the club.

<Cept maybe Green and Schultz>

EYEuhFRAYtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 01:24 PM
txpd

"Originally Posted by Japser17
The Caps are not trading any of their key young players (Green, Schultz, Fehr, Backstrom). And guys like Sutherby, Laich, Gordon, and other young players who have already solidified spots in the lineup prob won't be moved and even if they were wouldn't get much if anything back.

What else do the Caps have that they will/could move that would get any kind of return?"

We have a basic disagreement on the value of experience in NHL hockey. The Caps have Kolzig and Clark. After that, they have no experience in any key position. Their defense is ALL young guys. Their offense is ALL young guys except for Clark.
Their defensive forwards are ALL young guys again except for Clark.

Since experience is in many ways more important than even ability when it comes to defense, the Caps are just about bare in that area. The same is true of the offense on the team.

In my view the Capitals would be better by trading Brian Sutherby for a 10 year veteran with quality experience of equal skill. Since they have 5 quality young defenseman at the NHL level any 3 of which could be part of a winning defense corp where they mixed with the right veteran defensemen. As a group they are a losing defense corp because they are each prone to young player mistakes that tend to compound because the player next to them or the players on the next pair are also prone to the same problems and without the confidence that experience brings to stabilize these situations.

But thats my view.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Chokingdogs

all this talk and scuttlebut over mcphee being, "on a short leash", is merely window dressing and hollow.

his extension is up after next season, "firing" him then really isnt a bold move, its basically joe reekieing him, letting him wither away until the bitter end.

if they get off to a rough start in say, the first 15 games, then booting him, thats another story.

i fear this team, and mgmt, will not make the right moves this summer. i envision something along the lines of inking greg devries and handzus, then spinning it out of control.

thats what i fear. I HOPE its different, I HOPE that mgmt makes better moves, and shakes the conservative nature theyve shown, just about forever, save for lang.

at least we know one thing, there is currently one unemployed nhl GM out there now, who is ripe for the picking.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 02:12 PM
CapsChemist

Would you consider Semin+1rounder for Pitkanen?

CapsChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Chokingdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoholyca View Post

the way this season has gone for timmah!

the flyer would be wont to trade their 1st, AND joni, to the team taking him.

Old
04-11-2007, 02:28 PM
WashCapsfan4life8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
I quite disagree with that … I think it very, very likely that the Caps will be trading one of their young prospects/players and that does include the likes of Green, Eminger, Fehr, Fleischmann, Gordon, or Laich.

I think unless you're named Alex or Olie or Backstrom (and maybe Clark) you might want to keep a bag packed, just in case.
I dont think Laich would be traded. He will develop into a very good player, Fehr, probably the first to go out of the 6 you named, Eminger, 2nd, Green, nope prolly not because McPhee said that he was the whole reason to get rid of heward to give green playing time, Flash, questionable, and Gordon, nope, at least not next season if he plays as good as he played this season the caps will prolly keep him at least to see if he plays as good next season as he did this season.

The only 2 players I see the Caps trading are Eminger, we've given him enough time to prove himself, and Fehr. Others the Caps might trade not on that list would be Muir and/or Johnson(Prolly not but I want to get rid of him)

WashCapsfan4life8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I am waiting for the "let the young guys develope" section to comment.
That would be me.

I will not be surprised or upset when the Caps miss the playoffs in 07-08. And I'm very confident in telling you right now that the Caps WILL miss the playoffs next year.

The way I see it, the Caps are 5-10 players away from competing for the Cup. IMO that's too much to address in one offseason. Some of those holes will be filled by players already in the organization (possibly Sgt., Green, Flash, Fehr, etc) but a lot of them won't.

So the Caps have three options.

1. Do nothing, like last offseason, and let the kids develop.

2. Make some noise, but don't break the bank (AKA the PothierX10 plan)

3. Go balls-to-the-walls and try to win now.

I think everyone agrees that option 3 is out. Ted won't spend that kind of money, and it didn't work for the team in the past.

Option 1 is very unpopular, and even I have a hard time supporting it. The kids on D could (and I stress could rather than will) develop into a solid core that the team could rely on for a decade. Or 4 of them could flame out. Who knows? I think not adding a veteran D man would be irresponsible, but adding three would probably limit the growth of the team. It's a difficult balancing act.

As far as the forwards go, this team clearly needs help from outside of the organization. Backstrom is unproven at this level, #5 this year could take years to mature, and the Bears haven't done much to claim those top two line jobs for themselves.

In the end my expectations are lower than most other regulars here, and I wouldn't mind a little more development time for the young guys on D. But man, the Caps need help up front NOW.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 02:44 PM
C-A-P-S

Look I am not a McPhee fan. He's been here 8 years and I think his time should have been up this year.

That said. He'll be fired/let go if this team is a bottom rung team next year.

As for trade bait - Ovy, Kolzig, Semin, Backstrom, Clark, Gordon, Brashear, Jurcina, Morrissionn, Schultz and Potheir (solely because of his contract) are the only guys I think whose jobs are safe next season.

The rest of them - are all up for grabs. In these areas:

All those 3rd/4th line guys. There's just too many. Clymer, Bradley have contracts into next year to go along with their poor performances last season - Good luck moving them. I expect them to be back. That brings us to the RFAs Laich and Suts. One will be packing their bags, because Clymer, Bradley's contracts won't be moving. My best guess is Laich is qualified and sent out.

The defensemen - one has to be moved. They have six guys: Pots, Jerky, Mo, Green, Schultz and Eminger and we have even added anyone yet. It will be interesting - my guess see ya Emmy.

Finally the prospects - Fehr, Klepis and Flash. I think Klepis is a goner, but the other two will get one last shot.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 02:48 PM
WashCapsfan4life8

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
Look I am not a McPhee fan. He's been here 8 years and I think his time should have been up this year.

That said. He'll be fired/let go if this team is a bottom rung team next year.

As for trade bait - Ovy, Kolzig, Semin, Backstrom, Clark, Gordon, Brashear, Jurcina, Morrissionn, Schultz and Potheir (solely because of his contract) are the only guys I think whose jobs are safe next season.

The rest of them - are all up for grabs. In these areas:

All those 3rd/4th line guys. There's just too many. Clymer, Bradley have contracts into next year to go along with their poor performances last season - Good luck moving them. I expect them to be back. That brings us to the RFAs Laich and Suts. One will be packing their bags, because Clymer, Bradley's contracts won't be moving. My best guess is Laich is qualified and sent out.

The defensemen - one has to be moved. They have six guys: Pots, Jerky, Mo, Green, Schultz and Eminger and we have even added anyone yet. It will be interesting - my guess see ya Emmy.

Finally the prospects - Fehr, Klepis and Flash. I think Klepis is a goner, but the other two will get one last shot.
IMO like i said before, Laich stays, 1 because he can become a great player but no one will give him chances and i mean more than 3 chances. If a player messed up 1 season everyone thinks we have to trade him. Thats what Chicago did with Hasek, and look at what hasek became.

Old
04-11-2007, 02:52 PM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
That would be me.

I will not be surprised or upset when the Caps miss the playoffs in 07-08. And I'm very confident in telling you right now that the Caps WILL miss the playoffs next year.

The way I see it, the Caps are 5-10 players away from competing for the Cup. IMO that's too much to address in one offseason. Some of those holes will be filled by players already in the organization (possibly Sgt., Green, Flash, Fehr, etc) but a lot of them won't.

So the Caps have three options.

1. Do nothing, like last offseason, and let the kids develop.

2. Make some noise, but don't break the bank (AKA the PothierX10 plan)

3. Go balls-to-the-walls and try to win now.

I think everyone agrees that option 3 is out. Ted won't spend that kind of money, and it didn't work for the team in the past.

Option 1 is very unpopular, and even I have a hard time supporting it. The kids on D could (and I stress could rather than will) develop into a solid core that the team could rely on for a decade. Or 4 of them could flame out. Who knows? I think not adding a veteran D man would be irresponsible, but adding three would probably limit the growth of the team. It's a difficult balancing act.

As far as the forwards go, this team clearly needs help from outside of the organization. Backstrom is unproven at this level, #5 this year could take years to mature, and the Bears haven't done much to claim those top two line jobs for themselves.

In the end my expectations are lower than most other regulars here, and I wouldn't mind a little more development time for the young guys on D. But man, the Caps need help up front NOW.

I think this team is going to go with Option 2 - but with a little more publicity about the "efforts" they made to sign people.

First off, I think they will keep the pick. Unless some blockbuster comes their way a talent that good and cheap is hard to trade away. However, if the #1 is what they need to bring a real talent in at either center or defense I think they will do it.

Second, I think a combination of Eminger, Green, Fehr, Flash, Klepis, Laich, the 2nd #1 and the two #2s will be the most likely bait used to bring in a top line defenseman or center.
Ultimately, at least 1 trade will be made and one of the two holes at center or defense will be filled.

The remaining hole will be filled in FA. Whoever it is it will be a second tier guy. No way we end up being the top bidder in Free Agency.
TH

Old
04-11-2007, 02:54 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I like Brooks... but his upside is Pettinger. You either trade Petty or him, whichever gives the most value (which I believe is Petty).

Of course, what does that say to your team when you sign a young player to a 3-yr deal then trade him after year one?

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 02:58 PM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashCapsfan4life8 View Post
IMO like i said before, Laich stays, 1 because he can become a great player but no one will give him chances and i mean more than 3 chances. If a player messed up 1 season everyone thinks we have to trade him. Thats what Chicago did with Hasek, and look at what hasek became.
Well my feeling is this is a numbers game and i just interested to see where you think every one is going to fit. lets just assume they bring in backstrom and another center via trade/fa. I'll even go as far to say they won't even sign a rw, although they need to, to give their youngsters a shot.

Look at the roster and you'll see the glut of thrid liners. Who goes where?

ovy-fa/trade-clark
semin-backstrom-flash (rfa)
petty-gordon-laich (rfa)
brash-suts(rfa)-clymer

People not in the lineup

Novotny - RFA
Bradley - Under Contract
Fehr - Under Contract
Klepis - RFA

My feeling is that laich gets moved because suts is more of a leader and more physical than laich. that allows bradley back in the lineup who is under contract.

Then novotny is a goner as is klepis and Fehr and Flash will likely get one last shot to make the team.

Old
04-11-2007, 03:02 PM
WashCapsfan4life8

Quote:
Well my feeling is this is a numbers game and i just interested to see where you think every one is going to fit. lets just assume they bring in backstrom and another center via trade/fa. I'll even go as far to say they won't even sign a rw, although they need to, to give their youngsters a shot.

Look at the roster and you'll see the glut of thrid liners. Who goes where?

ovy-fa/trade-clark
semin-backstrom-flash (rfa)
petty-gordon-laich (rfa)
brash-suts(rfa)-clymer

People not in the lineup

Novotny - RFA
Bradley - Under Contract
Fehr - Under Contract
Klepis - RFA

My feeling is that laich gets moved because suts is more of a leader and more physical than laich. that allows bradley back in the lineup who is under contract.

Then novotny is a goner as is klepis and Fehr and Flash will likely get one last shot to make the team.
I see what you are saying but i think in the years to come Laich will outlast Sutherby because maybe its me being stubbon, but i see laich becoming a great player, maybe im wrong but hey if the caps want to get rid of him and keep sutherby who is yes more physical then go ahead.

Old
04-11-2007, 03:14 PM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
I see what you are saying but i think in the years to come Laich will outlast Sutherby because maybe its me being stubbon, but i see laich becoming a great player, maybe im wrong but hey if the caps want to get rid of him and keep sutherby who is yes more physical then go ahead.
Yeah it not that he isn't a decent player, but they just have collected SO many 3/4 line guys.

Its ridiculous. I mean Chris Clark is our 1st line RW. The 30 goals were great, but really he is a 3rd line RW.

Maybe they work something out. Who knows. But they have to start moving some of these guys.

Old
04-11-2007, 03:23 PM
WashCapsfan4life8

Quote:
Yeah it not that he isn't a decent player, but they just have collected SO many 3/4 line guys.

Its ridiculous. I mean Chris Clark is our 1st line RW. The 30 goals were great, but really he is a 3rd line RW.

Maybe they work something out. Who knows. But they have to start moving some of these guys.
I got 2 ppl to get out

Brash and Muir.

Brashear, because he takes to many dang penalties and he is an !@#$%^&* when you want to get his autograph, I live in Richmond, Va. I go to practices alot and everytime i go up there and i see brash i ask for his auto but he just walks right past me. Once these to little kids, mustve been about 7 years old, wants his auto but he just walks past them 2. He also just dont got the talent to be on this team, we dont need a fighter we need a star

Muir, injury prone and he aint that good

Old
04-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Chokingdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by heshootshescores View Post
I like Brooks... but his upside is Pettinger. You either trade Petty or him, whichever gives the most value (which I believe is Petty).

Of course, what does that say to your team when you sign a young player to a 3-yr deal then trade him after year one?

nothing good, thats for sure.

brooks vs princess - id agree that matt has more value, but at this point, i wouldnt trade matt. ill qualify that by adding, unless he's part of a bigger deal to land a top 3 forward or top 2 D-man.

i think his drop off this season had everything to do with the shoulder injury and no real center to play with.

Old
04-11-2007, 03:41 PM
bonzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
Well....Leonsis is certainly painting himself into a corner. The chances of them making the playoffs is pretty slim unless we see some drastic imports of talent on the blueline and the top-6 forwards (Center/RW). Many here swear that the Caps won't spend on quality players, but that's the only way I see them being able to get the team into contention next season.

If McPhee does get fired, he will likely be able to point at ownership (rightly so), and contend that they didn't want to spend wisely when the time was right and when they did spend it was foolishly on players he never wanted in the first place.

What was Parcell's line about cooking dinner and letting the cook buy the ingredients?
At this time I intend on getting tickets again (the wife and I have too much fun at the games), but if they don't make several impact offseason moves, I will reconsider. I enjoy watching at home almost as much, especially when the on-ice product is below par and I'm not spending $250 a night for tickets, dinner and drinks.
Sticking with shanwon's cooking analogy...

I think where McPhee will ultimately fail in the next leg of the rebuild, is by expecting his "recipie" to produce a playoff "stew" this year. Adding too many new ingredients into the "pot" at one time is not really a time honored NHL formula. See: "Cooking with Glen Sather and Don Wadel".

"Playoffs or bust" = "Soup's on!" and this simply,IMO, is not going to be the case, by the time "Your new and improved Washington Capitals" are introduced next October.

GM doesen't even know if the ingredients he needs/wants are even available, much less compatible with the what's in the stew pot already!

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 03:43 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
nothing good, thats for sure.

brooks vs princess - id agree that matt has more value, but at this point, i wouldnt trade matt. ill qualify that by adding, unless he's part of a bigger deal to land a top 3 forward or top 2 D-man.

i think his drop off this season had everything to do with the shoulder injury and no real center to play with.
I agree. That boys a gamer. Great speed and not afraid to rip it!

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Monty

On Wash Post Live yesterday, Tarik reiterated that he thinks GM and Hanlon could both be gone by January if the Caps aren't playing significantly better.

He further stated that he was very confident that GM would trade the No. 5 pick along with a player, like Eminger, for a quality veteran.

I tend to agree with Tarik that GM will trade the pick if he obtains reasonable trade value in an area of need for the Caps. My reasons include the following:

Drafting a prospect who in all likelihood will not be, if ever, a quality NHL player for two to four years, will not help GM keep his job. GM is not Poile, but I recall back in February 1997 when the rumors started growing that Poile would be canned if the Caps did not make the playoffs, Poile immediately traded the future for the present, i.e., Carey, Allison and Carter for Ranford, Oates and Tocchet. Will GM have the same reaction as Poile. I think he will.

The rebuilding is over. While Ted says a lot of things, that comment to me underlies a change in course by him that the Caps should now start parlaying some of their prospects and other assets into vets who can help the Caps win more now. And as others have mentioned, the No. 5 pick is one of the better assets that the Caps have, and unlike a young prospect that GM drafted himself, GM hasn't invested anything in a draft pick yet, and it may be easier for him to trade (i.e., it is often said that GM overrates his prospects and so is less inclined to trade them for players he thinks are of lesser value).

Ted has realized that a lot of prospects don't pan out, or to the extent they do, it may take far too many years than he prefers to wait. I think the second half collapse of the Caps is the primary reason why Ted has appeared to change his tune and has now authorized GM to wheel and deal this summer. But I think the secondary reason was a clear realization by Ted that he thought the prospect development game would garner much better results more quickly, and now realizes it won't, and it is unclear how many more years it may take without a significant infusion of veteran talent.

What's red, white and blue and plays golf in April? A change is coming, and Ted and his happy band of promoters wants the change to red, white and blue to be remembered as the season the Caps' fortunes on the ice changed for the better too. A 5th pick playing in juniors next season won't help that scenario play out.

AO and Olie are not happy. AO was more vocal than Olie about being upset that the Caps' path to progress is no longer smoothly trending up, but like the fans, Ted was listening to. He realizes that without an infusion of quality vets on the team, AO's complaining will only get worse next year, and resigning AO and Olie may not be a pleasant exercise.

Enter the 5th pick in the draft, the sort of asset that may be tradeable for one or more of the sort of quality vets that will help GM keep his job, mark a change in course from rebuilding to building a contender, get the team possibly in the playoffs in April, and keep AO and Olie happy.

Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 04:23 PM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
I got 2 ppl to get out

Brash and Muir.

Brashear, because he takes to many dang penalties and he is an !@#$%^&* when you want to get his autograph, I live in Richmond, Va. I go to practices alot and everytime i go up there and i see brash i ask for his auto but he just walks right past me. Once these to little kids, mustve been about 7 years old, wants his auto but he just walks past them 2. He also just dont got the talent to be on this team, we dont need a fighter we need a star

Muir, injury prone and he aint that good

Well Brash is resigned. And autographs aside he is a good enforcer for the team. (Side note - Brash did a flip a practice puck over to my wife prior to a Thrash game this season. We didn't ask for an autograph )

Muir is a goner as is Beech both are UFAs wont be resigned.

Old
04-11-2007, 04:31 PM
txpd

Quote:
I dont think Laich would be traded. He will develop into a very good player, Fehr, probably the first to go out of the 6 you named, Eminger, 2nd, Green, nope prolly not because McPhee said that he was the whole reason to get rid of heward to give green playing time, Flash, questionable, and Gordon, nope, at least not next season if he plays as good as he played this season the caps will prolly keep him at least to see if he plays as good next season as he did this season.

The only 2 players I see the Caps trading are Eminger, we've given him enough time to prove himself, and Fehr. Others the Caps might trade not on that list would be Muir and/or Johnson(Prolly not but I want to get rid of him)
This would be right on target if the idea of most trades is to pawn off your waste/junk on another team for a quality player.

Reality is you usually have to give up something to get something. Laich is something that the Caps have a lot of. A young, inexpensive 3rd/4th line forward who is young enough to possibly get better. They have Gordon, Sutherby, Laich and Steckel how have shown no real offensive production to go with their defense/penalty killing qualities. They have Pettinger who has produced something.

A ten year veteran with the same skill history of Laich and Sutherby might well cost twice to three times as much depending on his intangibles and some teams with a veteran laiden 3rd and 4th lines may be looking to save some payroll and change one or two of those expensive players for a younger/cheaper player. There is value there with players like Laich and Sutherby.

If you are of the thinking that the Caps are going to win with a defense made up of these 5 young defensemen currently on the roster plus another two that are in the system, I think you are just mistaken. Experienced is always better than inexperienced. An older player with deteriorating skills is almost always a better defenseman that an inexperienced highly skilled player. That is why a mixture of youth and experience is required. Since the Caps have more young defensemen than they could possibly use at the same time, trading the excess is good business.

Old
04-11-2007, 04:43 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
On Wash Post Live yesterday, Tarik reiterated that he thinks GM and Hanlon could both be gone by January if the Caps aren't playing significantly better.

He further stated that he was very confident that GM would trade the No. 5 pick along with a player, like Eminger, for a quality veteran.

I tend to agree with Tarik that GM will trade the pick if he obtains reasonable trade value in an area of need for the Caps. My reasons include the following:

Drafting a prospect who in all likelihood will not be, if ever, a quality NHL player for two to four years, will not help GM keep his job. GM is not Poile, but I recall back in February 1997 when the rumors started growing that Poile would be canned if the Caps did not make the playoffs, Poile immediately traded the future for the present, i.e., Carey, Allison and Carter for Ranford, Oates and Tocchet. Will GM have the same reaction as Poile. I think he will.

The rebuilding is over. While Ted says a lot of things, that comment to me underlies a change in course by him that the Caps should now start parlaying some of their prospects and other assets into vets who can help the Caps win more now. And as others have mentioned, the No. 5 pick is one of the better assets that the Caps have, and unlike a young prospect that GM drafted himself, GM hasn't invested anything in a draft pick yet, and it may be easier for him to trade (i.e., it is often said that GM overrates his prospects and so is less inclined to trade them for players he thinks are of lesser value).

Ted has realized that a lot of prospects don't pan out, or to the extent they do, it may take far too many years than he prefers to wait. I think the second half collapse of the Caps is the primary reason why Ted has appeared to change his tune and has now authorized GM to wheel and deal this summer. But I think the secondary reason was a clear realization by Ted that he thought the prospect development game would garner much better results more quickly, and now realizes it won't, and it is unclear how many more years it may take without a significant infusion of veteran talent.

What's red, white and blue and plays golf in April? A change is coming, and Ted and his happy band of promoters wants the change to red, white and blue to be remembered as the season the Caps' fortunes on the ice changed for the better too. A 5th pick playing in juniors next season won't help that scenario play out.

AO and Olie are not happy. AO was more vocal than Olie about being upset that the Caps' path to progress is no longer smoothly trending up, but like the fans, Ted was listening to. He realizes that without an infusion of quality vets on the team, AO's complaining will only get worse next year, and resigning AO and Olie may not be a pleasant exercise.

Enter the 5th pick in the draft, the sort of asset that may be tradeable for one or more of the sort of quality vets that will help GM keep his job, mark a change in course from rebuilding to building a contender, get the team possibly in the playoffs in April, and keep AO and Olie happy.
i generally agree with the above. I don't think the rebuilding is over though. The foundation building can only go on so long before your start filling the structure in with the other requisits.

The Capitals have a very strong foundation of young players. Big offensive talent in Ovechkin, Semin and quite possibly Backstrom. They have two quality top 4 young defensemen to choose from among the 5 on the current roster. They have quality young character players like Gordon. They have a pipeline of replacement players like Fehr, Bourque, Finley, Varlamov being readied.

They need to fill in the rest of the roster with experienced players that fill the holes and can show the young players how to win and how to best focus their skills. At present all they really have in that area is Kolzig and Clark.

Should the Caps add a Kolzig caliber defenseman to the team and a Clark level offensive center to the team plus a couple of old salts with a winning resume for the checking line and the defense, the team will finish what it starts a lot better.

Old
04-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
LOL, how about Semin for Pitkanen and a 1st?

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 05:31 PM
txpd

Quote:
Actually, that makes no sense at all for the Capitals. The Capitals have a pile of young defensemen. Some more developed than others, but all young. The Caps don't need another young defenseman.

Pitkanen had an unfortunate season and may well need a change of scenery in order to find his game and his confidence again. The Caps have a highly thought of young defenseman that has the same sorts of confidence and consistancy problems and who also might need a change of scenery to find his game and his confidence.

Since Pitkanen was more highly regarded than Eminger the Caps would have to throw something else of quality in the make it work....Eminger and your choice of current Hershey prospects for Pitkanen. That I could see.

A struggling Pitkanen for a Semin who would be the Flyers leading scorer AND a top 5 pick doesn't make any sense. Maybe it was just a joke that I missed.