HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tarik says 07-08 Playoffs or Bust

Old
04-11-2007, 06:37 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
I don't get why you're so certain on that front. I wouldn't be suprised if one of Green or Schultz was moved, or Fehr if the right situation presented itself. (I'd prefer it was Eminger on his way out but his value is in the crapper right now compared to those two defensemen.) Backstrom I'll give you, for all of the obvious reasons, but I wouldn't be so certain on the other guys. They would bring back more than their first due to them being closer to NHL ready and we all agree that the Caps are too young to win with the current roster anyway. Dealing them makes more sense from a simple numbers (and upside) perspective than their first.
Totally agree....

I would be shocked if Green was moved, and Backstrom isn't going anywhere, but Schultz, Fehr....hell pretty much anyone not named Alex is fair game. Let's be realistic here folks. You have to give good to get good.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 04-11-2007 at 06:44 PM.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 08:33 PM
txpd

If the Capitals are able to acquire a top pair defenseman that is also a proven first power play unit player, Green becomes expendable. If on the other hand the top pair defenseman is not a major power play contributor, a defensive defenseman, then Schultz becomes more expendable.

I think it all depends on who is available for them to add to the roster.

IF the Capitals brought in two defensemen like Scott Hannan and a Jiri Slegr type, Green would have to stay.

If on the other hand they traded for Wade Redden, then Green would lose a lot of his ice time and would very likely be in the trade.....Redden for the first round pick and Green, say.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
If on the other hand they traded for Wade Redden, then Green would lose a lot of his ice time and would very likely be in the trade.....Redden for the first round pick and Green, say.
I agree with what you wrote in theory but...holy overpayment, batman! If Ottawa were to sign Redden to an extension then that'd be more reasonable but the Caps could potentially only have Redden for a year and then lose him to free agency.

It's going to take a very aggressive and dogged McPhee to find deals that work for him and his trade partner(s). He's really got his work cut out for him. I think he'll end up having to overpay for at least one free agent over the summer (albeit not of the Gomez variety, odds are). There's just too many holes for him to shuffle around young players and prospects to add them all this summer via trades alone.

There is a premium around the league for each of his offseason targets--stability on the blueline & a PP QB, a scoring-line center and veteran character/leadership. I think the veteran character addition (at least) could be a mid-summer free agent addition after the team makes an offseason splash and shows their commitment to winning next year. GMGM's comment indicate that splash will most likely be a trade and could be very, very key in influencing free agent perception regarding what Washington's plans are next year and going forward in putting the right pieces in place in building a contender.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 10:36 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I agree with what you wrote in theory but...holy overpayment, batman! If Ottawa were to sign Redden to an extension then that'd be more reasonable but the Caps could potentially only have Redden for a year and then lose him to free agency.

It's going to take a very aggressive and dogged McPhee to find deals that work for him and his trade partner(s). He's really got his work cut out for him. I think he'll end up having to overpay for at least one free agent over the summer (albeit not of the Gomez variety, odds are). There's just too many holes for him to shuffle around young players and prospects to add them all this summer via trades alone.

There is a premium around the league for each of his offseason targets--stability on the blueline & a PP QB, a scoring-line center and veteran character/leadership. I think the veteran character addition (at least) could be a mid-summer free agent addition after the team makes an offseason splash and shows their commitment to winning next year. GMGM's comment indicate that splash will most likely be a trade and could be very, very key in influencing free agent perception regarding what Washington's plans are next year and going forward in putting the right pieces in place in building a contender.
Seems fairly obvious to me that the Caps wouldn't do a deal like that unless an extension was in place. I also don't think Redden brings anything that big in return at his $6.5 mill price tag unless that extension is at a much more reasonable price.

Old
04-12-2007, 06:11 AM
txpd

please dont hold me to the name that i used. its just an example. thats all i was saying.

Old
04-12-2007, 06:13 AM
octopi

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
The bust being that McPhee gets fired if the Caps fail to make the playoffs this next season and the franchise takes a major hit. Tarik said that a repeatedly in his last online chat session.

Who thinks that is accurate and who thinks its expecting too much?

Personally, my attitude is that if they miss the playoffs next season that I have better things to do with my time. If they don't make significant roster additions this offseason, I may not be buying center ice and may not spend on hockey til I see the Caps winning again. So, I agree with Tarik.
I say they should at least contend for the playoffs next year.
Kolzig isn't getting any younger.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 08:39 AM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSF76 View Post
I will be very surprised if the Caps don't trade at least one of their young defensmen this offseason, probably Eminger.

Critter, why don't we see Limekitty around the official boards anymore?
It does seem likely that Eminger is the one to be moved as I think he has the most value (for now).

And you've been to the official boards ...... that's why I'm here and not there (And LimeKitty's Lime Kitty avatar will return when the Caps play hockey next season)

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 08:48 AM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashCapsfan4life8 View Post
I dont think Laich would be traded. He will develop into a very good player, Fehr, probably the first to go out of the 6 you named, Eminger, 2nd, Green, nope prolly not because McPhee said that he was the whole reason to get rid of heward to give green playing time, Flash, questionable, and Gordon, nope, at least not next season if he plays as good as he played this season the caps will prolly keep him at least to see if he plays as good next season as he did this season.

The only 2 players I see the Caps trading are Eminger, we've given him enough time to prove himself, and Fehr. Others the Caps might trade not on that list would be Muir and/or Johnson(Prolly not but I want to get rid of him)

If it comes down to Laich or Gordon, I think the Caps would keep Gordon.

The Caps are going to have to move some of those "back six" guys. Brashear isn't going to be moved and I really think the team likes Bradley.

Gordon makes it easier to move Sutherby.

That's three of six spots filled. If you consider Clark a “back six” guy, that’s four spots filled with Pettinger penciled in for the fifth.

That leaves Laich, Clymer, Novotny, Sutherby, and possible Steckel fighting for that final spot.

I don't know how much Fehr would be worth as he's missed a good deal of time with a back injury. Right now I think Fleischmann is the more attractive commodity.

On the back line, Eminger and Green would be the most valuable commodities. I think McPhee would be reluctant to part with either of them. However, I also think he would be willing to do so for a solid return.

I also do not think it will be a player for player/pick type deal. I think there will one big, multi-player possibly multi-team trade involving the Caps.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 06:55 PM
txpd

I would not jump to the conclusion that Clark will ever again be a 3rd or 4th line player. I compare him to Mike Knuble and I don't see any reason to move him out of a top 6 job.

He provides responsibility, grit and leadership to a line with either Ovechkin or Semin.
He provides a level of both protection and stability for those young stars.
Since he has responded with 20 goals and then 30 goals mostly against the league's best defense pairs its hard for me not to give him credit.

Afterall he is not loading up on cheap assists. 30 goals is 30 goals. Since there are teams with even one 30 goal scorer I have a hard time with the idea of demoting and cutting the ice time of a guy that scored 30 while playing on three distinctly different lines and playing both pp and pk duty.

Old
04-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
If it comes down to Laich or Gordon, I think the Caps would keep Gordon.

The Caps are going to have to move some of those "back six" guys. Brashear isn't going to be moved and I really think the team likes Bradley.

Gordon makes it easier to move Sutherby.

That's three of six spots filled. If you consider Clark a “back six” guy, that’s four spots filled with Pettinger penciled in for the fifth.

That leaves Laich, Clymer, Novotny, Sutherby, and possible Steckel fighting for that final spot.

I don't know how much Fehr would be worth as he's missed a good deal of time with a back injury. Right now I think Fleischmann is the more attractive commodity.

On the back line, Eminger and Green would be the most valuable commodities. I think McPhee would be reluctant to part with either of them. However, I also think he would be willing to do so for a solid return.

I also do not think it will be a player for player/pick type deal. I think there will one big, multi-player possibly multi-team trade involving the Caps.
I fully expect the Caps bottom 6 to be made up of Gordon, Pettinger, Sutherby, Brashear, Laich and prob either Novotny or Clark (depending on which one plays a top 6 role, as I think both will be here next season).

That leaves Clymer and Bradley fighting for ice time.

I think the fact Clymer was scratched often twords the end of this season is very telling that his role with the club is as a depth winger. And why you think the team is so high on Matt Bradley I have no idea. He is a solid guy to have around and provides some depth but not much more.

My projected forward lines...

Ovechkin - UFA/TRADE - Novotny/Clark
Semin - Backstrom - Fehr/Clark
Pettinger - Gordon - Novotny/Clark/Fehr
Laich - Sutherby - Brashear

Clymer - Bradley

I think Clark could play any of 3 roles, he could either take back his spot on Ovechkin's RW (although I think the Caps will hope Novotny can play well there). He could play with Semin and Backstrom to provide some vet leadership on that line (what I want to see, as 3 young guys scares me. However Fehr did spend some decent time on Semin's RW this year and that is where I see his future). Or on the checking line with Gordo and Pettinger (as he spent a decent amount of time with Gordon tword the end of the season).

Last edited by Jasper17: 04-12-2007 at 08:49 PM.
Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 09:04 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
I fully expect the Caps bottom 6 to be made up of Gordon, Pettinger, Sutherby, Brashear, Laich and prob either Novotny or Clark (depending on which one plays a top 6 role, as I think both will be here next season).

That leaves Clymer and Bradley fighting for ice time.

I think the fact Clymer was scratched often twords the end of this season is very telling that his role with the club is as a depth winger. And why you think the team is so high on Matt Bradley I have no idea. He is a solid guy to have around and provides some depth but not much more.

My projected forward lines...

Ovechkin - UFA/TRADE - Novotny/Clark
Semin - Backstrom - Fehr/Clark
Pettinger - Gordon - Novotny/Clark/Fehr
Laich - Sutherby - Brashear

Clymer - Bradley

I think Clark could play any of 3 roles, he could either take back his spot on Ovechkin's RW (although I think the Caps will hope Novotny can play well there). He could play with Semin and Backstrom to provide some vet leadership on that line (what I want to see, as 3 young guys scares me. However Fehr did spend some decent time on Semin's RW this year and that is where I see his future). Or on the checking line with Gordo and Pettinger (as he spent a decent amount of time with Gordon tword the end of the season).
What?!!? Novotny as Ovechkin's RW? Based on what, 45 days of sub-par 3rd-4th line skill he's shown? I think you're WAAAAY off on that one. No way Novotny bumps Clark out of a spot unless the Caps management has an aneurism.

It's also hard to jump all over Clymer and point to him being scratched when we find out he was injured all season.

I can tell you exactly what I like about Bradley...he hits anything that moves and causes turnovers from it. Many more of the Caps bottom 6 need that type of mentality.

Old
04-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
What?!!? Novotny as Ovechkin's RW? Based on what, 45 days of sub-par 3rd-4th line skill he's shown? I think you're WAAAAY off on that one. No way Novotny bumps Clark out of a spot unless the Caps management has an aneurism.

It's also hard to jump all over Clymer and point to him being scratched when we find out he was injured all season.

I can tell you exactly what I like about Bradley...he hits anything that moves and causes turnovers from it. Many more of the Caps bottom 6 need that type of mentality.
I think McPhee wants Novotny to do something, and I really think they will try to use him with Ovechkin. Not saying it will work, not saying it will last, but I do think they will try it. And if it doesn't work, they are not going to take him out of the lineup.

As for Clymer and his injury maybe you are right, but I still don't see him as a regular in the lineup. And Bradley is just not that good, he shouldn't play over anyone.

Old
04-12-2007, 09:17 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I think McPhee wants Novotny to do something, and I really think they will try to use him with Ovechkin. Not saying it will work, not saying it will last, but I do think they will try it. And if it doesn't work, they are not going to take him out of the lineup.

As for Clymer and his injury maybe you are right, but I still don't see him as a regular in the lineup. And Bradley is just not that good, he shouldn't play over anyone.
Of course McPhee wants Novotny to "do something" otherwise he traded away the team's top center and a great team guy for a bag of pucks.....it would just be another nail in McPhee's coffin.

Bradley is a perfect 4th line guy. Laich is a skilled guy who doesn't hit. Not a 4th liner. If you plan on stashing skilled guys on the 4th line to rot away and not develop the type of game they have, why not move them instead?

In fact, I think at least 2 of the guys you have listed in your forward lines will not be here next season. Probably from the group of Fehr, Pettinger, Laich, Sutherby, Novotny, or Clymer (if they can find someone to take his contract which I doubt).

Old
04-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
Of course McPhee wants Novotny to "do something" otherwise he traded away the team's top center and a great team guy for a bag of pucks.....it would just be another nail in McPhee's coffin.

Bradley is a perfect 4th line guy. Laich is a skilled guy who doesn't hit. Not a 4th liner. If you plan on stashing skilled guys on the 4th line to rot away and not develop the type of game they have, why not move them instead?

In fact, I think at least 2 of the guys you have listed in your forward lines will not be here next season. Probably from the group of Fehr, Pettinger, Laich, Sutherby, Novotny, or Clymer (if they can find someone to take his contract which I doubt).
well we will just have to disagree with the skill level of Laich i guess, because I in no way see him as a top 6 talent. I do think eventually he can add some decent offense from the checking line, but I never expect him to be a top 6 forward and will never list him as a "skilled guy". But I guess we have much different standards.

As for Novotny, i think you are right. And that is why I expect him to play. I expect his situation this coming year to be like Beech's this past year. Put him with one of the stars and hope he can turn some of that talent into something usefull. Which is why I fully expect him to get a look on the top line next season.

As for at least 2 of the guys I have listed beying moved. I think that is what you may want, but I can't imagine that happening. What are they going to move those players for? they are not going to get anything in return for those guys. And since they all pretty much make nothing in terms of NHL salaries it would cost more to replace them than it would to keep them.

I mean I guess Fehr or Pettinger could bring back a #4/#5 defensman in return, but is that really what the Caps need?

I think this idea that the Caps are looking to move the 5th overall pick is because they don't want to deal anything they currently have. I mean nothing this team is willing to give up has much value anyway.

Maybe you are right though, i have no idea. What I have writen isn't what I want. As you should know from our many convo's about what players I want the Caps to go get. I am just saying what I expect.

I do think you could see Pettinger traded, for some reason I think he would have the most value out of any forward the Caps would be willing to move (not including the two alex's and Backstrom). But we will have to wait and see.

Last edited by Jasper17: 04-12-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old
04-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

Quote:
As for at least 2 of the guys I have listed beying moved. I think that is what you may want, but I can't imagine that happening. What are they going to move those players for? they are not going to get anything in return for those guys. And since they all pretty much make nothing in terms of NHL salaries it would cost more to replace them than it would to keep them.
At least two guys might not be moved, per se, but there won't be room for them all from a sheer numbers perspective.

Up front there are 15 guys, at least, battling for a spot on the roster (without taking into consideration the desired addition of a scoring-line center and a veteran winger):

Ovechkin, Semin, Pettinger, Brashear, Backstrom, Gordon, Sutherby, Clark, Fehr, Bradley, Clymer, Fleischmann, Steckel, Novotny, Klepis

Sutherby, Fleischmann, Steckel, Novotny and Klepis are all RFA this summer but I'd assume all are either qualified or moved before then.

In back, there are seven defensemen as possibilities for next year (not taking into consideration the likelihood of other additions):
Pothier, Morrisonn, Jurcina, Schultz, Green, Eminger, Erskine

Jurcina, Eminger and Erskine are RFA and I'd expect the same conditions that applied to the RFA forwards to apply here.

My point is that not all of these guys are going to fit on the 23-man roster at the start of next season, even if the Caps did nothing other than sign & bring over Backstrom and re-up their RFAs. I believe each of Fleischmann, Steckel, Novotny and Klepis will have to pass through waivers next season as well, to further add to the scarcity of roster positions if no trades are made.

Old
04-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
At least two guys might not be moved, per se, but there won't be room for them all from a sheer numbers perspective.

Up front there are 15 guys, at least, battling for a spot on the roster (without taking into consideration the desired addition of a scoring-line center and a veteran winger):

Ovechkin, Semin, Pettinger, Brashear, Backstrom, Gordon, Sutherby, Clark, Fehr, Bradley, Clymer, Fleischmann, Steckel, Novotny, Klepis

Sutherby, Fleischmann, Steckel, Novotny and Klepis are all RFA this summer but I'd assume all are either qualified or moved before then.

In back, there are seven defensemen as possibilities for next year (not taking into consideration the likelihood of other additions):
Pothier, Morrisonn, Jurcina, Schultz, Green, Eminger, Erskine

Jurcina, Eminger and Erskine are RFA and I'd expect the same conditions that applied to the RFA forwards to apply here.

My point is that not all of these guys are going to fit on the 23-man roster at the start of next season, even if the Caps did nothing other than sign & bring over Backstrom and re-up their RFAs. I believe each of Fleischmann, Steckel, Novotny and Klepis will have to pass through waivers next season as well, to further add to the scarcity of roster positions if no trades are made.
Well as you can see from my expected lineup Flash, Klepis and Steckel are no where to be found. I don't expect any of them to be in the Caps plans as guys they are going to rely on (Flash could be, its either him or Fehr). That doesn't mean they will get traded though, as all of them could sign 2-way deals and spend most if not all their time in Hershey (I would be surprised if Klepis and Steckel are offered anything but 2-way deals). The other guys you listed (including Laich who you didn't) will be a part of the 23 man squad next year IMO. That makes 13 out of the 14 forwards (Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom, Clark, Clymer, Bradley, Sutherby, Gordon, Laich, Pettinger, Brash, Novotny, Fehr/Flash), that last forward being the UFA/Trade addition.

As for the 7 D you mentioned I think everyone expects Eminger to be moved. That leaves only 6 D (Mo, Jurcina, Pothier, Schultz, Green, Erskine). Which leaves a spot open for a UFA/Trade additon on the defense.

Since Mcphee, Ted, and even captain Clark have all said they expect the same group with only a couple new faces I am not sure why so many people expect so many moves.

Old
04-12-2007, 11:25 PM
C-A-P-S

Novotny is not good for this team. We do not need another 3rd liner. And that what he is.

Look the return for Zubrus was the 1st rounder. Novotny was the throw in. Ala Nashville's 1st and Beech for Witt last season.

However, unlike Beech, there no more room next season for another bottom six forward. We have about 13 of them as is.

So my feeling - Novotny is moved.

You know its funny the more I think about it I think GMGM might move Greenie if its absolutely necessary to pull of a solid trade. Obviously Eminger is the primary trade bait, but I could see Greenie get move if it was absolutely necessary.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 11:29 PM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Well as you can see from my expected lineup Flash, Klepis and Steckel are no where to be found. I don't expect any of them to be in the Caps plans as guys they are going to rely on (Flash has an outside chance, its either him or Fehr). That doesn't mean they will get traded though, as all of them could sign 2-way deals and spend most if not all their time in Hershey (I would be surprised if Klepis and Steckel are offered anything but 2-way deals). The other guys you listed (including Laich who you didn't) will be a part of the 23 man squad next year IMO. That makes 13 out of the 14 forwards, that last forward being the UFA/Trade addition

As for the 7 D you mentioned I think everyone expects Eminger to be moved. And I would expect Erskine to be listed as the 7th guy going into next season. Which leaves a spot open for a UFA/Trade additon on the defense.

Since Mcphee, Ted, and even captain Clark have all said they expect the same group with only a couple new faces I am not sure why so many people expect so many moves.

I think Erskine will be the 7th as well.

Klepis is going to move on next season. The only way he stays is by owning the playoffs for Hershey.

Steckel will get a 2 way. I think they like him. But he'll get no rsoter spot next year. He's an injury call up at best.

Totally agree Flash/Fehr will get to fight for one of the top winger spots.

Old
04-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
Novotny is not good for this team. We do not need another 3rd liner. And that what he is.

Look the return for Zubrus was the 1st rounder. Novotny was the throw in. Ala Nashville's 1st and Beech for Witt last season.

However, unlike Beech, there no more room next season for another bottom six forward. We have about 13 of them as is.

So my feeling - Novotny is moved.

You know its funny the more I think about it I think GMGM might move Greenie if its absolutely necessary to pull of a solid trade. Obviously Eminger is the primary trade bait, but I could see Greenie get move if it was absolutely necessary.
Well anyone could get moved if it was absolutely necessary. But as I have said before I am pretty sure the reason why the Caps are apparently going to listen to offers for the 5th overall pick is so they don't have to move any of their current NHL ready talent.

As for Novotny, i think you are prob right. More than likely he is only another checking line center/winger. But I am not sure McPhee is going to be so quick to move him without giving him a look.

And I don't agree at all their is no room for him. Who's place is he taking? Klepis's? Steckel's? Or do you expect the Caps to sign/trade for multiple additions on offense?

I am not saying I expect much from him, but I do expect him to be here.

Old
04-13-2007, 12:11 AM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Well anyone could get moved if it was absolutely necessary. But as I have said before I am pretty sure the reason why the Caps are apparently going to listen to offers for the 5th overall pick is so they don't have to move any of their current NHL ready talent.

As for Novotny, i think you are prob right. More than likely he is only another checking line center/winger. But I am not sure McPhee is going to be so quick to move him without giving him a look.

And I don't agree at all their is no room for him. Who's place is he taking? Klepis's? Steckel's? Or do you expect the Caps to sign/trade for multiple additions on offense?

I am not saying I expect much from him, but I do expect him to be here.

I just don't see where he's going to fit. If he's in the lineup some regulars from last year are out the door.

Here my thoughts about the roster. Lets assume Backstrom is signed and Clark returns to the 1st line. Plus a center is acquired.

Ovy- FA/Trade Center - Clark
Semin - Backstrom - Fehr/Flash
Petty - Gordon -Clymer (big contract)
Brashear - - Bradley (under contract)

The way I see it. Fehr/Flash will get their shot for a wing spot in the top six.

Clymer won't get moved because of his contract - might be waived but doubt it. Ted doesnt eat contracts... only Jagr's.

Nor will Bradley because he's a cheap physical 4th liner. And he is under contract.

So what's left ... 1 regular spot. Who's not on the roster? Suts, Laich and Novotny.

Last time I checked... Novotny is a little bit lower on the depth chart than either Laich or Suts. Personally, I think the last spot will between Laich or Suts with Suts winning out. Unless he's traded which is also possible - but then that just opens the slot for Laich.

So I think it adios Jiri.

Old
04-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

Quote:
Well as you can see from my expected lineup Flash, Klepis and Steckel are no where to be found. I don't expect any of them to be in the Caps plans as guys they are going to rely on (Flash could be, its either him or Fehr). That doesn't mean they will get traded though, as all of them could sign 2-way deals and spend most if not all their time in Hershey (I would be surprised if Klepis and Steckel are offered anything but 2-way deals). The other guys you listed (including Laich who you didn't) will be a part of the 23 man squad next year IMO. That makes 13 out of the 14 forwards (Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom, Clark, Clymer, Bradley, Sutherby, Gordon, Laich, Pettinger, Brash, Novotny, Fehr/Flash), that last forward being the UFA/Trade addition.
Toss in a veteran winger addition, as has been mentioned by the front office as a desired offseason target as well. That'll bump someone else up front.

I disagree that everyone expects Eminger to be moved. Sure, he could certainly use a change of scenary but will the Caps sell low on a former first round pick of theirs? Seems out of character, imo, given that other of their young defensemen will be both more highly sought after and hold more value.

Based on your expectations, you only expect the Caps to move Eminger, their top pick and maybe some prospects to fill their roster holes? With the way McPhee has emphasized the primacy of going the trade route in making roster additions, he's going to have to give up more than that to land the type of players he's looking for. The only way to really guarantee that there's not large roster turnover while filling a couple of holes is to go the UFA route. Given that free agency will be their last resort, I think you'd have to expect more turnover than that.

Old
04-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Toss in a veteran winger addition, as has been mentioned by the front office as a desired offseason target as well. That'll bump someone else up front.

I disagree that everyone expects Eminger to be moved. Sure, he could certainly use a change of scenary but will the Caps sell low on a former first round pick of theirs? Seems out of character, imo, given that other of their young defensemen will be both more highly sought after and hold more value.

Based on your expectations, you only expect the Caps to move Eminger, their top pick and maybe some prospects to fill their roster holes? With the way McPhee has emphasized the primacy of going the trade route in making roster additions, he's going to have to give up more than that to land the type of players he's looking for. The only way to really guarantee that there's not large roster turnover while filling a couple of holes is to go the UFA route. Given that free agency will be their last resort, I think you'd have to expect more turnover than that.
Well you are right that other defensman hold more value, and that is the exact reason why they won't be moved.

And there is a big difference in the type of players he's looking for, and the type of players your looking for. I don't think McPhee has any intention of bringing in mulitple star players. I think if he can add on major impact player he would be very happy. And the Caps should be able to get a very good player for a package of the 5th overall pick, Eminger, and a player like Flash or a pick.

The vet leadership guys he is looking to add prob can be added for picks / mid-level prospects. If he does add a vet winger, than someone will get bumped out of that lineup. But like I said I am not going to hold my breath. If they can add a good defensman and a quality top 6 center this offseason I would be very happy.

Just because McPhee said he wants to add players through trades, doesn't mean he wants to make 2 or 3 big trades. Even if he does want to add a couple vet's to the lineup those guys are not going to cost much in a trade. I would expect the plan to add the vet guys would be more of the Clark/Friesen type moves than anything big.

Old
04-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
I just don't see where he's going to fit. If he's in the lineup some regulars from last year are out the door.

Here my thoughts about the roster. Lets assume Backstrom is signed and Clark returns to the 1st line. Plus a center is acquired.

Ovy- FA/Trade Center - Clark
Semin - Backstrom - Fehr/Flash
Petty - Gordon -Clymer (big contract)
Brashear - - Bradley (under contract)

The way I see it. Fehr/Flash will get their shot for a wing spot in the top six.

Clymer won't get moved because of his contract - might be waived but doubt it. Ted doesnt eat contracts... only Jagr's.

Nor will Bradley because he's a cheap physical 4th liner. And he is under contract.

So what's left ... 1 regular spot. Who's not on the roster? Suts, Laich and Novotny.

Last time I checked... Novotny is a little bit lower on the depth chart than either Laich or Suts. Personally, I think the last spot will between Laich or Suts with Suts winning out. Unless he's traded which is also possible - but then that just opens the slot for Laich.

So I think it adios Jiri.
Well I would be surprised if Novotny is moved, as it would be strange for McPhee to unload a guy the org is trying to say/pretend they are high on. I am not 100% sure where he will play, but I have a strange feeling he will be somewhere.

And I just don't know what Laich or Suts is going to bring back in a trade. I think those two mean more to this team than anything they could get back. As I can't imagine anyone giving up more than mid round picks for those guys. And I know people are going to say, "well we can package them". But that isn't going to do much either.

Old
04-13-2007, 09:45 AM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Well I would be surprised if Novotny is moved, as it would be strange for McPhee to unload a guy the org is trying to say/pretend they are high on. I am not 100% sure where he will play, but I have a strange feeling he will be somewhere.

And I just don't know what Laich or Suts is going to bring back in a trade. I think those two mean more to this team than anything they could get back. As I can't imagine anyone giving up more than mid round picks for those guys. And I know people are going to say, "well we can package them". But that isn't going to do much either.
Well the thing is there are only so many spots. If they want to add some 2-3 new forwards, whether that be via FA/Trade/Prospect - someone has to go.

If Laich and Suts have no real trade value - or at least a low market value - imagine how much value one will be able to get for Bradley or Clymer.

The bottom line is the team has managed to collect too many prospects that have only turned into 3/4 line guys. Some have to go in order for this team to improve.

That why I point to players like Laich, Suts and Novotny.

Old
04-13-2007, 10:31 AM
txpd

I think the reason they are going to listen to offers on the 5th pick is because they always listen to offers on their first round picks. They listened last year and didnt get an offer that they thought was better than drafting Backstrom for the plan they were working on.

This offseason with a year advanced in developement in the Caps roster of assets AND a year passing in the contract calender the Capitals needs and the needs of those offering are going to be different. The chances of a deal for the pick are greater in my opinion because most of what the Capitals need is not available thru any draft....experience.

They certainly need skilled players for the two scoring lines and the top two defense pairs(skilled would include a high quality defense first defenseman), but if they could draft all four of those players in this year's draft, they would continue to stink for lack of experience.

On defense the Caps have Morrisonn, Jurcina, Green, Schultz, & Eminger. Morrisonn is a quality top pair defenseman when paired with a defenseman that is an offensive threat that keeps opponents honest. Schultz is not far away in the same area. Green could be an offensive weapon and a playmaker if he were partnered with load bearing defensive stalwart. The Caps could be very good choosing three of the youngs guys to pair up with Pothier and two acquisitions.

Keeping all 5 of them makes no sense in the short or long term.

Same is true of the abundance of checking forwards like Gordon, Laich and Sutherby.
Gordon has shown that he can check anyone. If the Caps can find a veteran with a winning background to add stability at crunch time to that group, one of Laich or Sutherby would be expendable.

The same follows at top 6 RW. If Clark remains there, then Fehr or Fleischmann are extra.

The bottom line is that most say there will be 5 new players next season. If you count Zubrus, Zednik and Heward as 3 of the replaced, then you still have two more that have to go and that does not include the roster spots Novotny & Jurcina took. I think there will be two forwards and two defensemen plus the scratched players that will be out.
You choose who it will be. IMO Jurcina has taken Eminger's roster spot and so Eminger goes. I dont think Novotny, Fleischmann or Fehr won a roster spot. I think Gordon has left Sutherby and Laich on thin ice.