HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Souray?

Old
04-11-2007, 10:28 AM
LesHabs66

vCash: 500
Souray?

As much as I like Sheldon Souray I do not want to see the Habs invest $6 million in him. While he has that amazing shot from the blueline he is a disaster on D. His passing and puckhandling are sketchy. He rarely seems to use his size and bulk to pound players. Don't get me wrong, Souray is a great guy but not worth mortgaging the future over. The Habs need a guy that can play D minus the mental lapses that Souray has displayed year after year in his own end. It is time to move on and gather new talent. I am sure that I will be flamed for these comments but be realistic about his ability away from the PP.

Who would be available as a UFA to replace Sheldon?

LesHabs66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 10:32 AM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Habs View Post
Who would be available as a UFA to replace Sheldon?
Anyone (in terms of on-ice play), IMO. The Habs have more than enough skill to compensate for the absence of Souray's cannon and pretty much anyone except Bryan McCabe, Aki Berg and Mancis Dandouillon can play better defense. Trying to replace his presence in the locker room, however, would likely warrant guys like Higgins, Komisarek and a new veteran face stepping up, big time.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

I would prefer to sign Scott Hannan, he would be a better investment.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 10:44 AM
guest1467

I cant believe you guys dont see how much of an impact Souray makes on this team. He is a great leader, second best defensive defensemen(this year), almost our leading scorer and was first in defensemen scoring. At 5.5 million I would sign for sure, only two years though.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Slick Nick

two solid 3M$ D would be better than Souray IMO.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 10:49 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Anyone (in terms of on-ice play), IMO. The Habs have more than enough skill to compensate for the absence of Souray's cannon and pretty much anyone except Bryan McCabe, Aki Berg and Mancis Dandouillon can play better defense. Trying to replace his presence in the locker room, however, would likely warrant guys like Higgins, Komisarek and a new veteran face stepping up, big time.
Dont forget his ability to drop the gloves. He's our best in that domain. One of the best in the league.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Dark4ng3l

Souray is half our powerplay right there. When he is on the defending team needs to stop hikm from shooting and this opens up other players. If they fail to cover him then he will just bury the puck or at least get a nice rebound. You guys need to look at more than just his stats. Give him a serviceable defensive guy and his + - will be better(not to mention a team that is not the worst team ever 5on5).

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 10:50 AM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I cant believe you guys dont see how much of an impact Souray makes on this team. He is a great leader, second best defensive defensemen(this year), almost our leading scorer and was first in defensemen scoring. At 5.5 million I would sign for sure, only two years though.
I didn't discount his impact on the locker room, as evidenced in my post, but I still believe that the Habs can more than make up for the loss of Souray's shot with their skill and the not-too-shabby shot of Andrei Markov or even Mark Streit.

With each passing day, even I (my sig used to say "Sheldon Souray sucks.") am hoping Souray sticks around just so we still have his shot but $5.75 million+ is just not worth that when you consider his absolutely, atrocious defense.

Old
04-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Dont forget his ability to drop the gloves. He's our best in that domain. One of the best in the league.
I think the last two times I remember him dropping the gloves he got ejected from the game in one (equipment failure) and a penalty in the other.

I like the way he protects the goalie though, and doesn't take crap from crashing forwards. That's one thing that Andrei Markov doesn't bring at all.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 10:56 AM
greatlakeshab

Quote:
I didn't discount his impact on the locker room, as evidenced in my post, but I still believe that the Habs can more than make up for the loss of Souray's shot with their skill and the not-too-shabby shot of Andrei Markov or even Mark Streit.

With each passing day, even I (my sig used to say "Sheldon Souray sucks.") am hoping Souray sticks around just so we still have his shot but $5.75 million+ is just not worth that when you consider his absolutely, atrocious defense.
If we lose Souray they better sign a respected goon otherwise the small Montreal forwards may see liberties taken towards them. Remember Koivu getting smashed and Souray sending a message that you don't do that to Montreal players.

greatlakeshab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Guillemin

Quote:
You shoulda stuck with that as your sig. Gawd I hate the Red Sox.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 11:04 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:

I'm absolutely AMAZED that so many fans here think they are all so much SMARTER than the NHL's GMs.

Why on earth do you think that Sheldon Souray displays glaring, obvious, egregious, absolutely atrocious defence, yet at the same time think that he is going to command close to $6M per year from an NHL GM.

Phillips just signed for $3.5M and most of the posters here seem to prefer Phillips.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 11:13 AM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I'm absolutely AMAZED that so many fans here think they are all so much SMARTER than the NHL's GMs.

Why on earth do you think that Sheldon Souray displays glaring, obvious, egregious, absolutely atrocious defence, yet at the same time think that he is going to command close to $6M per year from an NHL GM.

Phillips just signed for $3.5M and most of the posters here seem to prefer Phillips.
Well there are a few angles to be explored here, a) most GMs confided in Michael Landsberg ( lol) that a guy like Pavel Kubina would never have commanded more than $2 million from any other GM and b) I don't see the Leafs in the playoffs this year nor do I see a resounding applause for JFJ Jr. from Leaf fans or NHL pundits alike for signing Bryan McCabe to his monster contract and finally c) Chris Phillips is an absolute monster in his own zone while also possessing a great skating stride and an improved ability to move the puck and shoot. So just because a few GMs may be willing to sign Sheldon Souray at a contract closing in on $6 million per, doesn't mean I have to agree nor does being a GM automatically make them right.

Old
04-11-2007, 11:16 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Well there are a few angles to be explored here, a) most GMs confided in Michael Landsberg ( lol) that Kubina would never have commanded more than $2 million from any other GM and b) I don't see the Leafs in the playoffs this year nor do I see a resounding applause for JFJ Jr. from Leaf fans or NHL pundits alike for signing Bryan McCabe to his monster contract and finally c) Chris Phillips is an absolute monster in his own zone while also possessing a great skating stride and an improved ability to move the puck and shoot.
Are you saying that ALL UFAs get overpaid, or are you saying that only Sheldon Souray will be worth more to a real life GM than he is to the fans in the city where he has played his heart out?

Old
04-11-2007, 11:18 AM
brownman*

Quote:
Are you saying that ALL UFAs get overpaid, or are you saying that only Sheldon Souray will be worth more to a real life GM than he is to the fans in the city where he has played his heart out?
I'm saying that it's silly to sign Sheldon Souray to a contract worth $6 million (give or take a few paltry hundreds of thousands) per season.

Old
04-11-2007, 11:21 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
I'm saying that it's silly to sign Sheldon Souray to a contract worth $6 million (give or take a few paltry hundreds of thousands) per season.
Do you think he will get $6M from another team? If so, why?

If Phillips is worth $3.5M and is as good as you say he is, and yet the NHL GMs don't see things the same way, should the NHL owners just replace their GMs with HF posters?

Old
04-11-2007, 11:38 AM
brownman*

Quote:
Do you think he will get $6M from another team? If so, why?

If Phillips is worth $3.5M and is as good as you say he is, and yet the NHL GMs don't see things the same way, should the NHL owners just replace their GMs with HF posters?
I don't even know what you're talking about. Some NHL GMs will be willing to offer Souray $6 million because he has the NHL's best point-shot, is well-spoken, has the right attitude and put up 60 pts this year.

That doesn't mean Sheldon Souray is actually worth the money, Christ, if he's worth $6 million, than Chris Pronger is worth $12 million ($7.8 million by default) yet is making a mere $6.25 million.

Why do you keep harping on Chris Phillips? He's one of the best defensemen in the NHL and there are likely a few GMs who would've been willing to offer him upwards of $4.5-5 million. But since I'm a lowly HF poster (who doesn't deserve to live) I'm not allowed to provide my opinion simply because I'm not a General Manager.

Old
04-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Artyukhin*

i want souray back and i belive he will be back .

AND he said yesterday that 6 million dollar a year for him is TOO MUCH .

lets make it 4.5-5.0 area and call it a deal.

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...ae62d8&k=18816

Souray, the player considered most likely to jump at a big-money offer, said he would be willing to take less than market value to stay in Montreal as long as the team made him a fair offer.

Souray, who earned $2.28 million this past season, wouldn't say what it would take to keep him here,but when someone suggested that he might be looking at a contract offer of $6 million a season, he said that would be too much.

"I've enjoyed playing here and I think this team could win a Stanley Cup and I'd like to be a part of that," Souray said. "But there are two sides to any negotiation and the Canadiens have to want me."

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 04-11-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 11:49 AM
brownman*

Souray is a class-act and saying all the right things. Do I believe he is genuine in those comments? Absolutely. Do I think he'll likely think twice when his agent gets a call from Dean Lombardi offering $6 million and life in L.A.? Absolutely. Would I like Souray on this team at a generous hometown discount? Absolutely. But how often does that actually happen?

The Oilers and Ryan Smyth couldn't even come to terms...

Old
04-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Subban Fan

If we sign Souray at more than 4M ithink i'll ...

Subban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Penalty Killer

I still think if he's signing here, he'll do it be fore July. Once July hits and he's not signed, he's not going to be by us. If he wants to resign with the Habs, he will. If he wants to test the market, buh-bye.

Penalty Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
two solid 3M$ D would be better than Souray IMO.

Your right....2 defencemen for around $3 million each would be perfect.
If Souray will sign for no more than $4 million a year, then I say sign him....but if he wants anymore than that....let him go and we'll find some better defencemen to replace him for less money.

As good as Souray's upside is, his downside proves that he isn't worth anymore than $4 million....if he is even worth that.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 12:02 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
I don't even know what you're talking about. Some NHL GMs will be willing to offer Souray $6 million because he has the NHL's best point-shot, is well-spoken, has the right attitude and put up 60 pts this year.

That doesn't mean Sheldon Souray is actually worth the money, Christ, if he's worth $6 million, than Chris Pronger is worth $12 million ($7.8 million by default) yet is making a mere $6.25 million.

Why do you keep harping on Chris Phillips? He's one of the best defensemen in the NHL and there are likely a few GMs who would've been willing to offer him upwards of $4.5-5 million. But since I'm a lowly HF poster (who doesn't deserve to live) I'm not allowed to provide my opinion simply because I'm not a General Manager.
It's not that you're not allowed to utter an opinion.

I'm trying to demonstrate some people here, maybe not you, are too quick to write Souray off as "unaffordable". Some even seem to show some hostility and are almost saying something like, "Walk, you overpaid prima donna!"

These statements are uttered without even knowing what Sheldon or his agent are asking for. I think I have shown that Souray is very unlikely to command $6M. Like you said, PRONGER who is AWESOME went for $6.25M and Phillips, who is very, very good went for $3.5M but maybe this was a bit of "hometown discount" and he COULD HAVE gone for $4-4.5M.

Personally, I don't think Sheldon will cost us more than $5M, maybe a bit less.

Old
04-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:

The Oilers and Ryan Smyth couldn't even come to terms...
thats because Ryan Smyth took home town discounts his entire career in edmonton .

now he wants to get paid (no more discounts)

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2007, 12:29 PM
znk

Quote:

Phillips did not lead his team in game wining goals.
Did not lead the league in Goals by a defensemen.
Did not break the record for most powerplay goals by a D.
Did not lead his team in Shots.
Did not lead his team in penalty minutes.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote