HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev not invited to the WHC

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-12-2007, 10:22 PM
  #51
tiredman
Registered User
 
tiredman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ville de Québec
Country:
Posts: 4,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Sorry if it's already been posted, took a quick look around and didn't see anything so...

Accrording to Gazeta.ru which refers to a SovSport interview that I didn't find yet, Kovy was not invited to the WHC, which is very strange since Kovy is the Captain of the Russian national team.

AK: I wasn't chosen on the national team.

Q: why?

AK: I didn't try to search for reasons. Yeah, I'd like to play for Russia infront of russian supporters. What can I do about it."
He was probably not invited because he had a mediocre season.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 10:26 PM
  #52
brownman*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kost46! View Post
^^ Kovalev's gonna get 1000+ points in his career by playing 1 game out of 4. That sais a lot.
I'm not a Kovalev hater but it seems less and less likely he's gonna get another 200+ points in the NHL.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 10:29 PM
  #53
tiredman
Registered User
 
tiredman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ville de Québec
Country:
Posts: 4,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
I'm not a Kovalev hater but it seems less and less likely he's gonna get another 200+ points in the NHL.
Well, if he continues to do nothing like this year and averaging 50 pts/season for the rest of his carreer, he will do it.

Personnaly, I think (hope) he will bounce back next year and have a very good season.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 11:19 PM
  #54
Vlad The Impaler
Registered User
 
Vlad The Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
I'm not a Kovalev hater but it seems less and less likely he's gonna get another 200+ points in the NHL.
I agree.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 11:23 PM
  #55
kovahab
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
He's 34.

If he plays till 38 and averages 50 points a year he will do it.

If he plays till 40 and averages 33 points a year he will do it.

If he plays till 37 and averages 65 points a year he will do it.

I'd say its very likely he does it. 400-1000 for him.

  Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 11:24 PM
  #56
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,727
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidcells View Post
is emelin making the team?
I think so, he's on their camp roster as far as I know. Markov, Emelin and Korneev.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 12:15 AM
  #57
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kost46! View Post
He's 34.

If he plays till 38 and averages 50 points a year he will do it.

If he plays till 40 and averages 33 points a year he will do it.

If he plays till 37 and averages 65 points a year he will do it.

I'd say its very likely he does it. 400-1000 for him.
If he plays like he did last year, he won't be in the league at 37.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 12:51 AM
  #58
brownman*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
If he plays like he did last year, he won't be in the league at 37.
Have to agree, it wouldn't be so much that teams won't be knocking on his door but a proud man such as himself likely wouldn't want to continue a career like this. I hope as much as anyone that he bounces back next year (in a Hab uniform or not), but it's all "ifs" and "ands" at this point.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 01:03 AM
  #59
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut
 
Ice Poutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ____
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,702
vCash: 500
Kovalev's just a freakin' diva! Seems to think all should be in awe before his 'talent'.

Well, talent with no work is nothing and it seems others than MTL fans have realised that!

Have a good golf season, Kovy, and may you be elsewhere in september...


Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 01:21 AM
  #60
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
I've never been a fan of Kovy (well exept for the playoffs), but I find people are quite harsh with him.

He played with the toupie for 3/4 of the year, then with Lapierre and Latendresse....... 1st year rookie, and 1st year 4th liner rookie.. and people go bla bla bla he didn't show up against the Leafs, hey, how are you supposed to play when the two other guys are about 5 seconds late on every play? and when you get less icetime than Bégin?

I mean he sucked big time this year... but Samsonov, Latendresse, Lapierre aren't the best players to match him with.

Streit played more games with Koivu than Kovy.. there's a serious problem with that, IMO.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 01:33 AM
  #61
Astaroth
Registered User
 
Astaroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal,Qc
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
I've never been a fan of Kovy (well exept for the playoffs), but I find people are quite harsh with him.

He played with the toupie for 3/4 of the year, then with Lapierre and Latendresse....... 1st year rookie, and 1st year 4th liner rookie.. and people go bla bla bla he didn't show up against the Leafs, hey, how are you supposed to play when the two other guys are about 5 seconds late on every play? and when you get less icetime than Bégin?

I mean he sucked big time this year... but Samsonov, Latendresse, Lapierre aren't the best players to match him with.

Streit played more games with Koivu than Kovy.. there's a serious problem with that, IMO.
I have to agree with this. I'm not that big of fan of him (though his sticks are quite excellent) but fact of the matter is, you have to maximize your assets especially when most of them are pretty mediocre.

For the final drive, Carbo just should have stuck him with Koivu and live and die with his best players. Instead he put him with two journeymen who were useless besides 2 games agaisnt St-Louis and WSH.

I think this off-season will do alot of good for a veteran like Kovalev, he's a physical specimen (if you ever met him in person you would know how impressive he is) but his body is battered. A long summer off will do wonders, especially with his off-ice regimen.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 01:55 AM
  #62
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
I have to agree with this. I'm not that big of fan of him (though his sticks are quite excellent) but fact of the matter is, you have to maximize your assets especially when most of them are pretty mediocre.

For the final drive, Carbo just should have stuck him with Koivu and live and die with his best players. Instead he put him with two journeymen who were useless besides 2 games agaisnt St-Louis and WSH.

I think this off-season will do alot of good for a veteran like Kovalev, he's a physical specimen (if you ever met him in person you would know how impressive he is) but his body is battered. A long summer off will do wonders, especially with his off-ice regimen.
I saw him once on the street... the guy is just huge.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 02:06 AM
  #63
Astaroth
Registered User
 
Astaroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal,Qc
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
I saw him once on the street... the guy is just huge.
Not only that but he's built like a soldier. Not the ridiculous bodybuilding mass but the latent strength built. Of course the fact that he does a plate of 45 for wrist twisters helps too.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 02:51 AM
  #64
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
I've never been a fan of Kovy (well exept for the playoffs), but I find people are quite harsh with him.

He played with the toupie for 3/4 of the year, then with Lapierre and Latendresse....... 1st year rookie, and 1st year 4th liner rookie.. and people go bla bla bla he didn't show up against the Leafs, hey, how are you supposed to play when the two other guys are about 5 seconds late on every play? and when you get less icetime than Bégin?

I mean he sucked big time this year... but Samsonov, Latendresse, Lapierre aren't the best players to match him with.

Streit played more games with Koivu than Kovy.. there's a serious problem with that, IMO.
I have to agree on this. Our best center played with Begin and Streit(not together) for the last 10 games of the season and Kovalev played with Lapierre.

That remind me of the only smart thing Michel Bergeron said this year was: they cant score goals on 5 on 5 and they were looking for a winger for Koivu and a center for Kovalev.


Last edited by Stradale: 04-13-2007 at 03:28 AM.
Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 12:20 PM
  #65
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"
 
TheDamned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montréal
Posts: 9,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
I've never been a fan of Kovy (well exept for the playoffs), but I find people are quite harsh with him.

He played with the toupie for 3/4 of the year, then with Lapierre and Latendresse....... 1st year rookie, and 1st year 4th liner rookie.. and people go bla bla bla he didn't show up against the Leafs, hey, how are you supposed to play when the two other guys are about 5 seconds late on every play? and when you get less icetime than Bégin?

I mean he sucked big time this year... but Samsonov, Latendresse, Lapierre aren't the best players to match him with.

Streit played more games with Koivu than Kovy.. there's a serious problem with that, IMO.


AMEN TO THAT!

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 03:47 PM
  #66
Reuben
Registered User
 
Reuben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
I've never been a fan of Kovy (well exept for the playoffs), but I find people are quite harsh with him.

He played with the toupie for 3/4 of the year, then with Lapierre and Latendresse....... 1st year rookie, and 1st year 4th liner rookie.. and people go bla bla bla he didn't show up against the Leafs, hey, how are you supposed to play when the two other guys are about 5 seconds late on every play? and when you get less icetime than Bégin?

I mean he sucked big time this year... but Samsonov, Latendresse, Lapierre aren't the best players to match him with.

Streit played more games with Koivu than Kovy.. there's a serious problem with that, IMO.
back to reality at some point please. if Kovalev was playing with such sub par players all season, you would at least expect him to be the best payer on his line wouldn't you? well sadly that isn't or wasn't the case. ya Kovalev get less icetime than Begin that's so far from the truth it's laughable. Kovalev was second out of our forwards in icetime he only played 5 seconds less per game than Koivu. Kovalev also plays on the 1st pp unit if you haven't noticed. he played a good portion of the season with plekanec btw. as soon as plekanec got moved of that line he started producing.

the serious problem is the fact that no one seems to be able to mesh with him,for whatever reason. and to blame Kovalev's line mates is weak, you say the other players on his line are 5 seconds late one every play well no wonder Kovalev spends half his shift stickhandling in a stationary position, so if anything his linemates are 5 seconds ahead. strange how it works no one seems to be able to play effectively with Kovalev, yet it's always his linemates fault.
maybe if Kovalev skated and worked harder with more frequency
people could forgive his sub standard play.

the best statemant of all from above is this

I mean he sucked big time this year... but Samsonov, Latendresse, Lapierre aren't the best players to match him with.

ya he sucked big time this year but i'm going to make every excuse i can possibly find for his play. from your argument above sounds more like your making excuses for his play to me.
Kovalev didn't play well but....insert excuses here........

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 03:52 PM
  #67
Vlad The Impaler
Registered User
 
Vlad The Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
how are you supposed to play when the two other guys are about 5 seconds late on every play? and when you get less icetime than Bégin?
The numbers don't lie. Kovalev had more icetime per game than any other Habs forward.

The only players who had less icetime per game than Begin were Perez, Lapierre, Downey and Murray.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 04:00 PM
  #68
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
The numbers don't lie. Kovalev had more icetime per game than any other Habs forward.

The only players who had less icetime per game than Begin were Perez, Lapierre, Downey and Murray.
I was refering to the last game vs the Leafs:

Kovy 13:14
Bégin 13:26

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 04:01 PM
  #69
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
back to reality at some point please. if Kovalev was playing with such sub par players all season, you would at least expect him to be the best payer on his line wouldn't you? well sadly that isn't or wasn't the case. ya Kovalev get less icetime than Begin that's so far from the truth it's laughable. Kovalev was second out of our forwards in icetime he only played 5 seconds less per game than Koivu. Kovalev also plays on the 1st pp unit if you haven't noticed. he played a good portion of the season with plekanec btw. as soon as plekanec got moved of that line he started producing.

the serious problem is the fact that no one seems to be able to mesh with him,for whatever reason. and to blame Kovalev's line mates is weak, you say the other players on his line are 5 seconds late one every play well no wonder Kovalev spends half his shift stickhandling in a stationary position, so if anything his linemates are 5 seconds ahead. strange how it works no one seems to be able to play effectively with Kovalev, yet it's always his linemates fault.
maybe if Kovalev skated and worked harder with more frequency
people could forgive his sub standard play.

the best statemant of all from above is this

I mean he sucked big time this year... but Samsonov, Latendresse, Lapierre aren't the best players to match him with.

ya he sucked big time this year but i'm going to make every excuse i can possibly find for his play. from your argument above sounds more like your making excuses for his play to me.
Kovalev didn't play well but....insert excuses here........
Read more carefully.. I wrote about people over citicizing him for the last game in Toronto. Lats didn't touch the puck once in that game and Lapierre was on the ice for 5 of the 6 goals. So I can't blame him for that... can't blame Kovy for playing on fourth while Perezhogin who was far from being ready for that game played on first.. stupid decisions by Carbo, again.

I don't like the fact that Kovy often seems to be blaming his centrman.. but in Lapierre's case, I absolutelty support him... that kid is a fringe fourth liner that can't pass the puck... how is he supposed to fed guys like Kovy.


Last edited by Slick Nick: 04-13-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 04:07 PM
  #70
Reuben
Registered User
 
Reuben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,816
vCash: 500
All i know is i've never seen so many excuses for a player's on ice performance than with him. at some point you'd expect the player to be responsible for his own on ice performance, well apparently not in here.

i guess Souray has legitimate excuses for his poor defensive play then, he has had a bum shoulder since day one of the season(this is the reason why Ninimma was aquired). no one noticed Souray wasn't nearly as physical as he normaly was in the past? but of course you'd never hear Souray use this as an excuse because he takes responsibility for his own play without making excuses. I guess since folks on here are so big on excuses i guess Samsanov has a few to use including getting stuck playing with kovalev for 40 plus games.
ya it's real easy to make excuses but very few are legit.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 04:20 PM
  #71
Reuben
Registered User
 
Reuben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Read more carefully.. I wrote about people over citicizing him for the last game in Toronto. Lats didn't touch the puck once in that game and Lapierre was on the ice for 5 of the 6 goals. So I can't blame him for that... can't blame Kovy for playing on fourth while Perezhogin who was far from being ready for that game played on first.. stupid decisions by Carbo, again.

I don't like the fact that Kovy often seems to be blaming his centrman.. but in Lapierre's case, I absolutelty support him... that kid is a fringe fourth liner that can't pass the puck... how is he supposed to fed guys like Kovy.
hey all i know is Kovalev is supposedly a greatly talented player and should be making his teamates better when he plays with them not make them worse(pleks is one example). as for complaining about Lapierre playing with him, i bet you thought it was great idea after Kovalev scored 4 goals in 2 games with them. and theres a key word in your statemant about Lapierre.....KID. i acutally understand the concept of putting Laps with Kovalev, someone needs to go to the front of the net and bang in the corners to make more room for Kovalev. in fact Laps may have rubbed off on him for a couple games Kovalev scored a couple gritty goals while on that line.
funny how you bring Kovy always blaming his centreman, i loved Carbo's response to this as well. you want to keep blaming your centreman well let's put you at centre and then at least you can't blame the centre anymore.

let's face the facts with Kovalev here, his main problem isn't his linemates. it's the fact that he doesn't bring it everynight and commits far too many turnovers at the worst time or worst spot on the ice. he can complain all he likes untill he looks in the mirror and sees where the real problem lyes, we are most likely going to be having this same conversation next off season or before.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 04:24 PM
  #72
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!
 
ROCKZO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 1,684
vCash: 500
On Kovalev I'll always remember when they asked Ovechkin if he'd like to play with him ...

It's the first time I ever saw Alex turn white ... he just stammered and said ... errr. ... he's very talented ... and walked away

ROCKZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 05:21 PM
  #73
mitchmagic
Registered User
 
mitchmagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Iceland
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
I miss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceRGhrsacVk

Mitchell

mitchmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 05:31 PM
  #74
kovahab
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmagic View Post
Its hilarious how in that shotoout vs Hasek he just looks like hes taking a walk in the park and then he snaps one by Hasek with such ease.

I'll never forget that night. Its perhaps why people criticise him all the time because they saw what he was capable of that night.

  Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 06:17 PM
  #75
Reuben
Registered User
 
Reuben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kost46! View Post
Its hilarious how in that shotoout vs Hasek he just looks like hes taking a walk in the park and then he snaps one by Hasek with such ease.

I'll never forget that night. Its perhaps why people criticise him all the time because they saw what he was capable of that night.
people criticise Kovalev because he doesn't work everynight anyone who watches the bulk of the habs games knows this and it cannot be denied. I bet if people saw Kovalev working hard from game to game and then if he was still not being productive they would be willing to give him a break. i know i would.

I'd rather have a player with less skill that works hard everynight, then someone super talented that doesn't. even better... a skilled player who works hard everynight.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.