HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Just curious

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2004, 04:15 PM
Theoren Fan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Just curious

Over here in the city, I've become pretty restless over the continuing performance of Mike Dunhum in goal. Backup Jussi Markkanen has been clearly outplaying Mike over the past month, however he can't handle playing too many games at a time. Other Ranger fans may not agree over giving up on Dunny yet, but I'm tired of waiting for him to wake up.

So, I'm here to ask about just how "on the market" Martin Biron actually is, and what it would likely cost the Rangers to make a trade. From what I understand, Noronen and Ryan Miller are both playing well and are ready for more playing time.

Old
01-01-2004, 05:36 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

i would say VERY on the market
keep in mind that noronen is injured so any trade may have to wait until after noronen comes off IR

i have trouble seeing any players/prospects on nyr that fit the sabres needs/salary capabilities
lundmark is very tempting, but i'm guessing ranger fans would think that is too much to give for biron
murray maybe?
picks may be the solution

Old
01-01-2004, 05:40 PM
BG43

Well, Miller's played well in Rochester.. In Buffalo.. err not so much (see 5.06 GAA)

Mika has played pretty good. His numbers are nice. Although, he does have a tendency to give up bad goals. But now he's out with a groin injury.

Sadly, I think Biron is available and people are willing to give up on him for what they can get.. *tear*.. but you can't have him.. have a nice day

Old
01-01-2004, 05:40 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Dale Purinton and a 2nd round pick for Marty Biron.

This would be a little overpayment for Biron, but he is still young and I still think he could be a really good starter.He has had a 30 win year.

Old
01-01-2004, 06:29 PM
Takeo

Biron for Lampman would be a great deal. And the Rags might be a team to go for something like that. I'd also be more than satisfied with Jake Taylor + late pick.

Old
01-02-2004, 08:46 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
to Buf. Mike Dunham and Anson Carter

to NYR. Marty Biron and Miro Satan

Old
01-02-2004, 09:36 AM
Kruschiki

Now would be a great time of year for any team to aquire Biron is that he is a second half goalie.

That said his salary is pretty high for someone who stuggles through the first part of the season.

Old
01-02-2004, 09:44 AM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Over here in the city, I've become pretty restless over the continuing performance of Mike Dunhum in goal. Backup Jussi Markkanen has been clearly outplaying Mike over the past month, however he can't handle playing too many games at a time. Other Ranger fans may not agree over giving up on Dunny yet, but I'm tired of waiting for him to wake up.

So, I'm here to ask about just how "on the market" Martin Biron actually is, and what it would likely cost the Rangers to make a trade. From what I understand, Noronen and Ryan Miller are both playing well and are ready for more playing time.
i can tell you for pretty much fact his pretty much left. his not playing at all, miller gets backup minutes and biron can play backup. his a starter, the more he plays the better. somthing that doesnt happen in a rotational goalie system.

we would HAPPILY take dunham, but more likely poti.

biron + delmore

Lundmark

others you could include imho: A.Carter, Poti, Satan, Pyatt, Hecht (his highly valued), dunham.

Old
01-02-2004, 11:34 AM
jpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY
Explain to me the rational for that trade?

Dunham represents no upgrade over Biron, and Carter for Satan is a complete loss. No, no, no.

Buffalo needs young talent, preferably on defense. The rags don't have any. That means someone like Lundmark (as mentioned above) so some spare forward parts can be shipped for a blue line upgrade.

Old
01-02-2004, 11:34 AM
KillToronto

vCash:
Quote:

ewwwww.

Old
01-02-2004, 02:52 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb
Explain to me the rational for that trade?

Dunham represents no upgrade over Biron, and Carter for Satan is a complete loss. No, no, no.

Buffalo needs young talent, preferably on defense. The rags don't have any. That means someone like Lundmark (as mentioned above) so some spare forward parts can be shipped for a blue line upgrade.
Your right Biron is better than Dunham, Marty is younger as well. However with Miros inconsistent play and lack of defense I would rather see somone(carter) with two-way skills and can score you 20 goals.
I also would like to see Miros contract leave so we could bring in a solidified #1 D-man.

Old
01-02-2004, 06:41 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Your right Biron is better than Dunham, Marty is younger as well. However with Miros inconsistent play and lack of defense I would rather see somone(carter) with two-way skills and can score you 20 goals.
I also would like to see Miros contract leave so we could bring in a solidified #1 D-man.
Lack of defense? Yes, his +/- is down from previous seasons, but you're making things up about his defensive responsibility. The guy takes care of his own end and is a pretty good penalty killer too. You overrate Carter as some sort of physical presence, or that his combo of offense and defense is somehow better than Satan, a player who out scores him with fair regularity and is the same age. For a man of his size, Carter does little with it and is a definite down grade on the scoresheet.

As for bringing in a "solidified" #1 D-man... find one that is available in trade because if any are available as UFA, they wont be coming to Buffalo until after the CBA situation clears up. Since the Sabres have almost no one under contract after this year beyond Miro, Drury and a couple of the kids, they're in a great fiscal position regardless of Satan's contract.

Old
01-02-2004, 06:49 PM
djhn579

Quote:
Ummm, Satan was a -3 last season, and while he is having a bad year so far at -12, he hasn't been a negative since 96/97, overall he's a plus 45 and has had more than 60 pts the previous 5 years. Carter on the other hand, was a -11 last season and is -6 so far this season, overall he is a +2 and has had 2 seasons with 60 pts (that's not more than 60, just 60...). While Satan hasn't been lighting the lamp too much in the early part of the season, he's generally not a defensive liability and once he gets going (like now) he will be a hell of a lot better than Carter. And while this slump has been longer than many of his previous slumps, he has always been a streaky scorer.

Old
01-02-2004, 10:19 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Anson Carter is definitely not worth nearly as much as Miro.Carter is just as inconsistent, and cannot score in bunches like Miro can.

Last edited by TVanek26*: 01-03-2004 at 02:43 AM.
Old
01-04-2004, 02:37 PM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Dunham for Biron straight up.

Old
01-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
Dunham for Biron straight up.
Why? Dunham is older and more expensive and has the same numbers as Biron.

Closed Thread