HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

OT: All other playoff series talk

Old
04-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Ferley

vCash: 500
i stayed up to watch it but i had to find something else to watch at the same time because if i hadn't of i would have fell asleep before the 2ndOT was over

Ferley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

I watched the whole thing, fell asleep twice but woke up cause Jim's voice was slightly higher when someone had a chance. My girlfriend came by around 2:45am asking me all pissed off why I was watching hockey rerun at that time.. " no sweety it's still in OT, I'll be right there when it ends".... "I love you."....? (no answer) oh well! back to the game

The guys looked exhausted especially defensmen who played around 50 mins. Canucks lost Cooke early and Burrows in OT so they had to play with 10 forwards for the rest of the game. I think they would have been devastated if they'd lost that game because they had a 4-2 lead and lost some players to injuries as well. The stars looked fresher and dominated the play from the 3rd until the end but Luongo came big every time. The Sedins looked great and so as Cowan who was runing everybody but other than that it was mostly Dallas. I feel bad for Turco cause he played great too but someone had to lose.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Polansky

I woke up at 3:45 and just missed the winning goal.

Polansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Air

Makes me wonder how we'd fare in a game like that. Would Emery be able to handle it? Oh the playoffs.

Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 11:42 PM
The_Heat_Is_On_15*

What a first night of the playoffs , I was watching the game and during the OT intermissions waching a movie to keep me up and kill the time. As they game kept on dragging for what seemed like forever ...I was able to watch from the first OT till somewhere in the middle of the second before finally falling asleep. Luckily the hockey fan in me woke me up and I remebered right away about the game , was stunned to see it was 3:30 and the game was STILL on. So....got to see the last 8 minutes and that crazy goal.

Should be a real slow start to Game 2 , than eventually they will get their legs back.

The_Heat_Is_On_15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 03:22 AM
SoulPatch

I watched the whole thing. I'm a night hawk (as you can see), i'm used to staying up late. As others said, the game was quite enjoyable.

I found myself careless of the outcome; I like Vancouver, but wasn't really rooting for them to win. When Henrik Sedin scored I was slightly dissapointed. Maybe it's the whole "Turco's a choker" label that I want to see broken, cause I have a soft spot for players/teams that get labelled as chokers .

SoulPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 09:07 AM
discostu

I changed the title, so that we can put all other playoff series not involving the Sens here.

Did anyone watch the Atlanta game last night? I was watching highlights last night, and saw that Hossa was listed as one of the scorers, so, I thought Marian got his first playoff goal in an Atlanta uniform, until I saw that it was his brother. From the box scores and stats (no points, -1, 1 SOG), it doesn't appear that Hossa was effective, but, he's dominated games where he didn't register a point before. Did anyone see how he did?

I figure it's a pretty pressure filled series for Hossa. He's still trying to eradicate playoff demons from his time in Ottawa. He had some great years, but, everyone else here still deals with the choker label, so he will to. The fact that Atlanta emptied their pick and prospect cupboard for this run means they have a lot on the line for the franchise.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Papa Lazarou*

Anyone catch the games last night (Thursday)? Holmqvist gave up some really weak goals against Noo Joysee, and Calgary were atrocious, if it wasn't for Kipper, Detroit would have hit double figures.

Papa Lazarou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 09:13 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I actually watched 3 of the games last night, thanks to Picture in Picture and some nifty switching.

Atlanta - NYR

Probably the most entertaining game of the lot. I had picked the Rangers to win the series because I thought they had a more experienced and well-rounded team. It was end-to-end at times and Jagr was impressive.

Atlanta may try to up the physical ante but their defence may not match up all that well and I'm convinced Lehtonen is a tad overrated or at least inexperienced compared with Lundqvist.

Detroit - Calgary

Watching this game brought back the horrible nightmare of our game against Detroit (aside from the outcome, yay Spezza and Emery). Detroit is a juggernaut, playing swift offence and defence, with a dash of physicality that I was surprised with.

They get their sticks in the way of EVERYTHING, forecheck and backcheck with incredible speed and have a very swift transition game.

I don't think Calgary is going to pull this one out. This isn't the same Detroit team. Like Ottawa, they've basically rebuilt themselves WHILE posting good regular season results. People call them chokers, when in fact, they've been undergoing a transition which appears to be in the final stages.

Buffalo - New York Islanders

Buffalo didn't play all that well, in my mind. But it was enough to beat the Islanders, who were valiant at times but woeful in actually putting the puck on the net. The Sabres ended up playing sloppy because the Islanders were unable to take advantage.

They simply looked slow and half a step behind the entire game.

Obviously Drury impressed and Afinogenov can skate like nobody's business.

Buffalo will take this one in a walk, but we'll see if massacring a weak opponent is a good step for them on their road to the Cup.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Roy G Biv*

All I hope is for more 4-OT games for all the other teams.. let them them beat the crap out of each other.

Last edited by Roy G Biv*: 04-13-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 10:26 AM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Buffalo - New York Islanders

Buffalo didn't play all that well, in my mind. But it was enough to beat the Islanders, who were valiant at times but woeful in actually putting the puck on the net. The Sabres ended up playing sloppy because the Islanders were unable to take advantage.

They simply looked slow and half a step behind the entire game.

Obviously Drury impressed and Afinogenov can skate like nobody's business.

Buffalo will take this one in a walk, but we'll see if massacring a weak opponent is a good step for them on their road to the Cup.
This is so true. NYI worked hard in their game but this series is just a case of one team not being in the other's league. Drury played very well. I think the Isles' only chance is DiPietro's return, otherwise Buffalo takes this and takes it quick. Even then, the Isles are in deep trouble.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 10:33 AM
vdB

Game 1 of Tampa/NJ was MUCH more entertaining than I thought it would be. Hopefully that series keeps that pace.

vdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 10:36 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdudley View Post
This is so true. NYI worked hard in their game but this series is just a case of one team not being in the other's league. Drury played very well. I think the Isles' only chance is DiPietro's return, otherwise Buffalo takes this and takes it quick. Even then, the Isles are in deep trouble.
I think the Islanders will end up making a bit of a series out of it. They won't win, but, I don't think a Nolan coached team will ever fade quietly into the night. I was flipping back and forth last night, and, the fact that the game was still tied about halfway through.

If they get DiPietro back, it could be enough to give them some momentum. I can see this series going to 6 games at least.

I think I'm the only person though that's even giving the Islanders that much credit though.

Old
04-13-2007, 10:50 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I think I'm the only person though that's even giving the Islanders that much credit though.
Well, I found that the Islanders were doing the little things well, but the big things (like shooting, and passing around the net) terribly.

It's very odd to watch.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Sentient

Hubris

Like many devoted hockey fans, I spend some time surfing varous hockey sites looking for new insight on the Senators and their rivals. A recurring problem at most sites is what I term "signal to noise ratio". In this context, I am referring to the number of "good" posts (provide new information, clarify or persuade on relevant issues and are generally well-reasoned, informative and entertaining) compared with the number of "bad" posts (emotionally incontinent, hopelessly biased, pathetically misinformed and generally just useless poo). On many sites you can be compelled to sift through a lot of poo to grab the diamond.

Site areas that deal with other teams can be particularly informative. As Sens fans we watch more Sens games and pick over the Senators strengths and weaknesses in infinitely more detail than the fans of any other team would. We, therefore, tend to have the greatest expertise about the Senators. Obviously the same is true for the fan bases of any other team. If you want to know more about the Penguins, cruise through the archives of a Pens board. Once you filter out the hopeless homers and the terminally witless that must be endured on any message board you will find a depth of information that you just cant get elsewhere.

With this as background, the real point of this message concerns what I have just turned up on the hockey buzz site with the post game emission of the Sabres afficionado and blogger, the infamous Garth. I think the Sabres have a great team this year and would have to be considered a favorite to win the cup this time out. However, having said that, I simply don't understand the psychology behind a post like Garth's providing his post game 1 "analysis". Let me provide a few quotes:

"The Buffalo Sabres proved their mettle last night.They are a four headed monster up front. They attack until they make their opponents submit."

"The Sabres should be issued a cease and desist letter by the NHL for their icing a fourth line of Adam Mair-Tim Connolly-Drew Stafford. Are you kidding me? Fourth line- No. Second line on most teams, yes. Two young studs and a gritty banger"

"I've said it before. I'll say it again. The Sabres have an embarrasment of riches. They have a stockpile of young talent, and they are using it in a gratuitous fashion."

"The Sabres are the Indianapolis Colts on ice. Too much speed. Too many weapons. Too many stars."

I think you get the picture. Is it simply the age we live in? Has any semblence of modesty, humility, or restraint become passe? Are we to be inundated by a boundless, fetid ocean of trash talking hyperbole?

Am I the only one who thinks an in-your-face pimping of the Sabres (or any team) like this constitutes practically begging for the great Karmic wheel to roll over and crush you like a bug? Would anyone else experience blissful schadenfreude if Garth were left stammering to explain a playoff exit for his beloved Gods among men (we as Senators fans should know better than most how easily things can slip away for a favoured team of admitted talent)? The Sabres are an excellent team and beyond not wanting them to win if the Sens face them,I hold no ill-feeling towards them but this sort of cockiness in the fan base is hard to take without engendering feelings of resentment and contempt. I think Senators fans would do well to avoid similar expressions of hubris (should be easy to do with the Senators record in years gone by).

Sentient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 11:56 AM
discostu

Apparently the buzz is that Atlanta won't be starting Lehtonen in game 2, and are going to put Hedberg in nets. Soemone posted it on the main boards.

That's a sudden move. I didn't see the game, so, I don't know how Lehtonen played, but, giving up four goals on a night when Jagr is on his game shouldn't be shameful enough to warrant being yanked. I can't see Hedberg being the solution.

Old
04-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Roy G Biv*

You're right Sentient, and if you've been on the NHL board in the last few months, you'd notice Senator posters amplifying the Sabres-hubris, and restraining from expressing any of their own.

But then again, if I was a Sabres fan, I'd call for their fellation too. They are that good. Anything less than the cup will be viewed as a complete failure.

Old
04-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
Apparently the buzz is that Atlanta won't be starting Lehtonen in game 2, and are going to put Hedberg in nets. Soemone posted it on the main boards.

That's a sudden move. I didn't see the game, so, I don't know how Lehtonen played, but, giving up four goals on a night when Jagr is on his game shouldn't be shameful enough to warrant being yanked. I can't see Hedberg being the solution.
Interesting. The situation is very similar to that concerning the Pens. Fleury and Lehtonen are comparable through age, experience, and hype. And Hedberg = Thibault.

I would have stuck with Lehtonen, just like I'd stick with Fleury. As a goalie, you probe your greatness in your ability to bounce back from a bad game.

Old
04-13-2007, 12:23 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentient View Post
Am I the only one who thinks an in-your-face pimping of the Sabres (or any team) like this constitutes practically begging for the great Karmic wheel to roll over and crush you like a bug? Would anyone else experience blissful schadenfreude if Garth were left stammering to explain a playoff exit for his beloved Gods among men (we as Senators fans should know better than most how easily things can slip away for a favoured team of admitted talent)?
Karma for me would be the Sabres losing to us in 5 games because their starting goalie got injured, their backup cost them the series and they were called chokers all summer long.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 01:04 PM
spoon*

Chris Drury really is Captain Clutch.He worked so hard in the Sabres/Islanders game.And i think he passed JR for most game-winning goals by and American in the playoffs.

Still in the Sabres/Islanders game, Smyth was on a break-away and Jesus poked-checked the puck.When he went to the bench, he slammed the stick and cut it in half.It's always the sticks' fault

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Papa Lazarou*

Anybody watching SJ vs NAS on TSN right now? What a game, is an absolute bloodbath. Radulov go 5 and a game for boarding. SJs power play and 5 on 3 is worse than ours. NAS bagged a shortie to lead 3-1.

Old
04-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Lazarou View Post
Anybody watching SJ vs NAS on TSN right now? What a game, is an absolute bloodbath. Radulov go 5 and a game for boarding. SJs power play and 5 on 3 is worse than ours. NAS bagged a shortie to lead 3-1.
YES!!! The game is awesome.

Watching this I don't feel so bad about our 5 on 3...Nashville scored on theirs with only 4 seconds left! I was just about to say both of their 5 on 3's were useless.

Jennifer 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 08:44 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Lazarou View Post
The speed in his series is incredible. I think Nashville might be the fastest team in the league.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Papa Lazarou*

Cheechoo has missed 2 open cages now, I don't think he should be playing with that knee injury, it's not helping his team one iota. Rest it up and be 100% later in the series, SJ have the depth to cope.

Old
04-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Tobias Funke

Stars are taking it to the Canucks 2-0 after 2.

Vancouver came on late in the last period, but it looks like they'll split 1-1.

I'd also like to see Turco shake the choking label which is pretty harsh for a young goalie just entering his prime.

Tobias Funke is offline   Reply With Quote