HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

OT: All other playoff series talk

Old
04-18-2007, 03:10 PM
The_Team_Nurse

vCash: 500
If Atlanta gets eliminated this could actually be really good for the Sens. If they beat the Pens it means we won't have to face Buffalo in the second round. Cuz lets face it, the longer Buffalo plays, and the more beat up they are, the better for the Sens. So go Rangers go. (proceeds to go wash mouth out)

The_Team_Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 03:22 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Team_Nurse View Post
If Atlanta gets eliminated this could actually be really good for the Sens. If they beat the Pens it means we won't have to face Buffalo in the second round. Cuz lets face it, the longer Buffalo plays, and the more beat up they are, the better for the Sens. So go Rangers go. (proceeds to go wash mouth out)
That's part of my motivation for cheering for the Rangers as well.

At the start of the playoffs, I wouldn't have imagined that there would be a chance the winner of the Pittsburgh-Senators series could have home ice advantage in the second round, but, with Tampa leading their series, and the Rangers on the verge of winning, it is becoming more and more likely.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 03:33 PM
jamiebez

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Team_Nurse View Post
Is everyone writing off the Devils already? I haven't seen any of that series - how bad had Brodeur really been?

I'm planning to watch tonight - I have loads of Devils in all my pools.

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 03:56 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I'm so nervous thinking about the one more game we have to win that I can't even think about the possibility of who we'd be playing the next round.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez View Post
Is everyone writing off the Devils already? I haven't seen any of that series - how bad had Brodeur really been?

I'm planning to watch tonight - I have loads of Devils in all my pools.
Let's put it this way: It's an absolute travesty that the Ligthning are not up 3-0 right now. If wasn't for their goaltender gift wrapping the first game to the Devils that's where this series would be.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Martin

the Rangers have finished off the Thrashers... so it'll be either the Devils or Rangers for us next round (assuming we win).

and if the Devils somehow win this series the way they're currently playing, it'd probably be better than playing the Rangers!

Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 08:50 PM
ISensFanI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
the Rangers have finished off the Thrashers... so it'll be either the Devils or Rangers for us next round (assuming we win).

and if the Devils somehow win this series the way they're currently playing, it'd probably be better than playing the Rangers!
Parise has been amazing for the Devils so far, if Brodeur can find his game ( I doubt he'll be off it for much longer), they will be a scary scary team.

ISensFanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 08:54 PM
The Fuhr

Avery was a monster.

He just so happens to be one of my favorite players. I remember when I proposed we should pick him up and a lot of people here crapped on that idea. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=avery

Now everyone sees his awesomeness. Would love to have had him.

Look what he did to Kovalchuk that guy was way off his game.

The Fuhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Atlanta.

Hossa.

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:12 PM
moz
Gute Post

Of all the series I thought could be a sweep... not NYR-ATL.

1 point, Marian?

04-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Lexicon Devil

Yeah, yeah, I know we haven't advanced yet.

But who would you rather play? The Rangers or the Devils?

Personally, i'm a big fan of the fact that if we do advance it'll be against a NY-area team.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:20 PM
moz
Gute Post

I've mapped out the following possibilities, assuming an Ottawa victory:

1Buff
4Ott
6NYR

7TB

1BUff
2NJ
4OTT

6NYR

2NJ
4OTT
6NYR

8NYI

4OTT
6NYR
7TB
8NYI

So should we advance, it will 100% be against a NY team, and most likely against NYR although scenario 2 (Ott v. NJ) is also a possibility. Just based on expectations and current performance, scenarios 3 and 4 are unlikely. We would have home ice in 3 of the 4 situations.

(and though it's unlikely the thought that we could be the top remaining seed in the east in scenario 4 is pretty cool)

moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:22 PM
rban*

I have stated since the beginning that there are three teams I wanna avoid in the first round: NJ, Sabres, and Rangers.

And now, I am quite confident of one thing: NJ vs Sens is better for Sens. Rangers scare the heck out of me, I've been saying that since February.

Devils look beatable. Their D isn't great, Brodeur looks human, and they have only two scoring lines: EGG (elias-gomez-gionta) and Parise-Zajak-Langenbruuner. Their checking line (Madden-Pandolfo) can kick goals in once in a while, but not consisitently.

I am quite secure about one other thing too: The Rangers have the best chance of beating up the Sabres. Best case scenario'd be if Avery pounds the heck out of the Sabres.

For these matchups to happen, we need NJ to beat Tampa. Otherwise it'll be Sens vs Rangers, and TB vs Sabres. This would be BAD BAD BAD all the way around. The Rangers WOULD hurt us more than NJ would, and Sabres will handle TB easier than they' handle RAngers. It'll make it hard on Sens and easy on Sabres. I want the opposite!

(this assumes that Sabres will win but I think we can assume that)

Last edited by rban*: 04-18-2007 at 09:32 PM.
rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:27 PM
moz
Gute Post

I'd rather play NJ too. I wouldn't have said this a month ago.

Buffalo will walk over TB for an easy route to the ECF. NYR can at least wear them down, possibly defeat them.

I think we can beat NJ and NYR, but the whole "great goaltender" thing has always been our bane and I don't want to go through it again. But if we could make it past NJ, exorcising some serious demons... it could be very good for the club.

There are no easy routes, unless NYI and TB manage to win somehow.

moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:28 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I refuse to say anything until the 4th game is won.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:28 PM
rban*

Tell ya one thing: I watched the NJ-TB game tonite. For reasons I have outlined, I am madly cheering for NJ to win this series...but I am not sure they can do it:

1. I know Lecavalier and St Louis are two of the best forwards on earth, but they play so much and seem to be on the ice all the time. Seems liek TB cant get anything going without these two, and they havent even tried to split them up to spread out their offense. So....why is NJ having such a hard time controlling these two guys? If it was us, we'd sic our shutdown pair on them and that'd do it.

2. Used to be if NJ got a lead on ya going into the third, you're toast. In this game, NJ went ahead 3-1 in the mid 2nd, but TB tied it up! That shouldn't happen, and seems very un-Devilish.

3. Seems like TB goalie s playing better than Brodeur. NJ will not, cannot win this series unless Brodeur plays like Brodeur.

The two big goals for me this first round are:

Sens win next game
NJ beats TB in series

If that happens I'll be happy!

Last edited by rban*: 04-18-2007 at 09:34 PM.
rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Gesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
I refuse to say anything until the 4th game is won.
I'm with you %100.

Can we choose to play the flyers?... please!

Gesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 08:24 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Atlanta - NYR

Probably the most entertaining game of the lot. I had picked the Rangers to win the series because I thought they had more experience and a more well-rounded team. It was end-to-end at times and Jagr was impressive.

Atlanta may try to up the physical ante but their defence may not match up all that well and I'm convinced Lehtonen is a tad overrated or at least inexperienced compared with Lundqvist.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 08:36 AM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
I'm not very good at this, but I'll try:

Rangers over Atlanta in 4 games. The Thrashers' forwards will disappear, and Havelid will be exposed on D

Vancouver over Dallas. There will a couple of OT games in which Vancouver will prevail

San Jose over Nashville. San Jose is the complete package.

Anaheim over Minny. Minny won't generate any offense against the Ducks' D, and they'll get into penalty trouble.

Buffalo over New York. New York will manage a win, but will be no match for the powerful Sabres.

Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 08:54 AM
discostu

It's not even something we can really think of right now (especially since it can't happen until the third round), but, watching the Tampa Bay-Devils game, I can't help but wonder how we'd match up against them.

I know we played them last year, but, both teams are different, and, Lecavalier and St. Louis are playing incredible. How would the shut down pair be able to handle them versus shutting down Crosby.

But, we still need to shut down Crosby for one more game, and, that hasn't been an easy task, so, back to conservative-thinking mode.

Old
04-19-2007, 09:03 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Of all the series I thought could be a sweep... not NYR-ATL.

1 point, Marian?
Some in Atlanta are figuring he's hurt. That's probably the only explanation, but, even so, you'd figure that Hossa would probably feel the heat to show what he can do in the playoffs like Alfie has. I have only watched bits and pieces of the series, but, the entire lack of effort by the team in game 3 was inexcusable. Their season ended right there.

Hurt or not, a guy like Hossa should have been contributing something in a game like that. Finishing a -6 for the series is especially bad for a guy that often makes a case for being the best two-way forward in the game.

Old
04-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
Some in Atlanta are figuring he's hurt. That's probably the only explanation, but, even so, you'd figure that Hossa would probably feel the heat to show what he can do in the playoffs like Alfie has. I have only watched bits and pieces of the series, but, the entire lack of effort by the team in game 3 was inexcusable. Their season ended right there.

Hurt or not, a guy like Hossa should have been contributing something in a game like that. Finishing a -6 for the series is especially bad for a guy that often makes a case for being the best two-way forward in the game.

He took a knee-on-knee against the Habs in the end of the season, on the knee that he had a previous surgery on. Not that it excuses his play, however.

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:07 AM
OgieO

Rangers are a dangerous team. Lundvist is a very good goaltender and they can score. I think we'd potentially match up well with them (physical forwards on their defence) but no team would be wise to take them lightly.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:13 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I'm glad we're up 3-1 but there's that final win to go.

It's agonizing at this point.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 09:38 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCup View Post
He took a knee-on-knee against the Habs in the end of the season, on the knee that he had a previous surgery on. Not that it excuses his play, however.
I had heard that. It'll be interesting to see if he goes for off-season surgery now that the playoffs are done. I admire the guy if he's playing hurt, but, it still takes away one more opportunity to demonstrate what he can do in the playoffs.

The thing is, when he was in Ottawa, you can always look forward to the next year, to prove yourself in the playoffs. In Atlanta, IMHO, it's much more questionable year to year if they'll make it there. Atlanta becomes a bubble team over the next few years, IMO. Not that Ottawa provides you a guarantee on that (see earlier this season), but, you know the chances are good, and, that you have a solid supporting cast to help you through. For Atlanta, they only get in if things come together in the regular season. They're much more suscepitable to one or two injury problems throwing things into disarray.

All the former Sens that have left where they can be paid their market value have gone to teams that have much less surrounding casts (Havlat, Chara, Hossa). You can't begrudge them for wanting it, but, all of them have the same playoff demons to slay that the team here does, but, all of them will get less chances to prove themselves over the next few years. Chicago's chances at a playoff spot are pretty slim next year. Boston can only really hope to be part of the mix fighting for the last playoff spots.

I hope that it does play into the minds of some players, when they look at what's important for them going forward; being in an organization that puts them in a position to compete, or take their chances elsewhere.