HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Vancouver vs. Dallas (Bulis vs. Ribeiro)

Old
04-12-2007, 11:50 AM
brownman*

vCash: 500
OT: Vancouver vs. Dallas (Bulis vs. Ribeiro)

Now I know many of you are following this series closely as it's no secret that the Habs' former premier playmaker (Ribeiro) and perennial 70-pt first-line winger (Bulis) were fan favorites through all their historical seasons with the team so I'm curious to see how everyone graded their first playoff performances for another team following their many cup runs in a Hab uni.

All kidding aside, Ribeiro was completely invisible which was the total opposite of Bulis who seemed to play all night and did, literally, nothing right. I didn't see the 70-pt man make a single routine play whether it be getting the puck deep or taking a pass. It was, in a word, hilarious.

*disclaimer: this isn't aimed to be a bash Ribs/Bulis thread, just a discussion of two former Hab whipping boys dueling it out

Any thoughts?

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I watched the game until the after the first ot.

Watching the start of that game seeing the crowd waiving the towels like that,I was so depressed.We need playoff hockey here

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Now I know many of you are following this series closely as it's no secret that the Habs' former premier playmaker (Ribeiro) and perennial 70-pt first-line winger (Bulis) were fan favorites through all their historical seasons with the team so I'm curious to see how everyone graded their first playoff performances for another team following their many cup runs in a Hab uni.

All kidding aside, Ribeiro was completely invisible which was the total opposite of Bulis who seemed to play all night and did, literally, nothing right. I didn't see the 70-pt man make a single routine play whether it be getting the puck deep or taking a pass. It was, in a word, hilarious.

*disclaimer: this isn't aimed to be a bash Ribs/Bulis thread, just a discussion of two former Hab whipping boys dueling it out

Any thoughts?
Well I still like Mikey's abilities to find his teamates, which he did on the Morrow goal. He still has a great vision, and he's a great passer. As far as Bulis, who's Bulis.....Again, anyone who keeps saying that our ex-players are always doing better elsewhere...#38 is not the only example....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Habsfan18

I'm glad that Ribs is gone, but it does seem like he can be a decent 50/60 point center.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 12:02 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I thought Ribeiro was pretty good but Bulis was awful...he took a penalty leading to a 5-on-3 for the Stars in OT, though they obviously didn't get scored on.

(edit: I only saw up to the second OT btw)

Last edited by hototogisu: 04-12-2007 at 12:28 PM.
hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 12:23 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Bulis was one of the good forwards in O.T.... Ribeiro, well I think he touched the puck once or twice...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Stradale

Bulis was fast and everything but he sucks at one on one. this guy need some muscles

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 12:46 PM
PERPETUALSMILEZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Bulis was one of the good forwards in O.T.... Ribeiro, well I think he touched the puck once or twice...
Which game were you watching? Ribeiro had the puck a lot more than just touching it once or twice. He played a lot behind the opposing net passing it to the front trying to create those great scoring chances. IMO he's a great play maker and I think Montreal could really use a player like that. Bulis pretty much lost the puck everytime he touched it.

PERPETUALSMILEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Catch-22

Anybody notice how similar Vancouver's off-ice entertainment is to Montreal's?

The players come on to Streets, as Montreal has been doing since 2001.

Their goal song is Elevation, ours is Vertigo.

Try to get the crowd to sing Ole Ole.

I wonder if it's giving Bulis and Ribeiro nightmares? Of course the one difference is the crowd.

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Quiet Robert

Like I said in the SC thread, two our ex-losers who get a chance to compete for the Cup, life's unfair but what can you do.

In the end though good for both of them to be able to contribute on Stanley Cup teams.

But let's not forgot our other heros, Linden is also playing well the Nucks (better than Bulis), Zubrus is contributing for the Sabres, Asham and Zednik playing well in Long Island, Vokoun is helping Nashville, Recchi is playing well in Pittsburgh, Conroy is helping Calgary etc...

The ex-Habs are taking over the league! It's our secret plan to win the cup via ex-Habs!

Okay well I'm bored, so here's a quick lineup of ex-Habs currently in the playoffs. Add as many as I missed.

Zednik-Zubrus-Recchi
Linden-Conroy-Asham
Bulis-Ribeiro-Ward
Hossa-Dowd-xxxxx

Beauchemin-Rivet
Chelios-Robidas
Schneider-S.Hill
-
Nasreddine-Fitzpatrick

Vokoun
Thibault

We totally rule. Would our current Habs team beat this team in a 7 game series?

*Thanks Whitesnake. Also added Sean Hill. We need some better forwards though, but we have good depth on defence. Added Jimmy Dowd, haha this team is coming together.

Last edited by Quiet Robert: 04-12-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post

Okay well I'm bored, so here's a quick lineup of ex-Habs currently in the playoffs. Add as many as I missed.

Zednik-Zubrus-Recchi
Linden-Conroy-Asham
Bulis-Ribeiro-Ward
Hossa-xxxxx-xxxxx

Beauchemin-Rivet
Chelios-Robidas
Schneider-Fitzpatrick

Vokoun

How dare you miss T-BO in net....

And Alain Nasreddine on D.....

Old
04-12-2007, 01:22 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERPETUALSMILEZ View Post
Which game were you watching? Ribeiro had the puck a lot more than just touching it once or twice. He played a lot behind the opposing net passing it to the front trying to create those great scoring chances. IMO he's a great play maker and I think Montreal could really use a player like that. Bulis pretty much lost the puck everytime he touched it.
miss him huh ?

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Ross MacLochness

I can't believe I watched that whole game. Well, just the 4 overtimes really. At least I had nothing to do today.

Ribeiro leveled Cowan with a nice check, somewhere around 2:30 am. It was weird, Ribs didn't look like he put much of his 115lbs into the check, but Cowan went flying.

Bulis is useless.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 01:38 PM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim View Post
Ribeiro leveled Cowan with a nice check, somewhere around 2:30 am. It was weird, Ribs didn't look like he put much of his 115lbs into the check, but Cowan went flying.
Haha yeah, I remember seeing a Star (no pun intended ) fly into the screen leveling Cowan and then Jim Hughson says, "and Ribeiro runs over Cowan" and I'm like what...the....****?

Old
04-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
Like I said in the SC thread, two our ex-losers who get a chance to compete for the Cup, life's unfair but what can you do.

In the end though good for both of them to be able to contribute on Stanley Cup teams.

But let's not forgot our other heros, Linden is also playing well the Nucks (better than Bulis), Zubrus is contributing for the Sabres, Asham and Zednik playing well in Long Island, Vokoun is helping Nashville, Recchi is playing well in Pittsburgh, Conroy is helping Calgary etc...

The ex-Habs are taking over the league! It's our secret plan to win the cup via ex-Habs!

Zednik-Zubrus-Recchi
Linden-Conroy-Asham
Bulis-Ribeiro-Ward
Hossa-Dowd-xxxxx

Beauchemin-Rivet
Chelios-Robidas
Schneider-S.Hill
-
Nasreddine-Fitzpatrick

Vokoun
Thibault

*Thanks Whitesnake. Also added Sean Hill. We need some better forwards though, but we have good depth on defence. Added Jimmy Dowd, haha this team is coming together.
That team is pretty bad and I even think we could take them.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 01:52 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Haha yeah, I remember seeing a Star (no pun intended ) fly into the screen leveling Cowan and then Jim Hughson says, "and Ribeiro runs over Cowan" and I'm like what...the....****?
lol, that's just too funny. I think it's the 'Ribs hit me? bah, whatever' syndrome. If you can't imagine Ribs hitting anyone hard, you surely wouldn't keep your eye on him so when he DOES hit you, you are so totally unprepared for it you are just totally leveled.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 01:54 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
That team is pretty bad and I even think we could take them.
Ouch, if the habs can't take that team we really do have no business in the playoffs...(sniff)

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Habsfunk

Alain Nasreddine is still in the NHL?

Habsfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 02:09 PM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfunk View Post
Alain Nasreddine is still in the NHL?
Well yeah, he's the prototype for a "new NHL" player.

Old
04-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
lol, that's just too funny. I think it's the 'Ribs hit me? bah, whatever' syndrome. If you can't imagine Ribs hitting anyone hard, you surely wouldn't keep your eye on him so when he DOES hit you, you are so totally unprepared for it you are just totally leveled.
Probably what happened to Alexeev in preseason too....anybody remember that one....memories.....

Old
04-12-2007, 02:11 PM
GoHabs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Bulis was fast and everything but he sucks at one on one. this guy need some muscles

muscles? Have you ever seen this guy in person? I had to respond to this and I wish the pic of him I have was with my digital. It was with my old camera. The muscles popping out from his tshirt is really surprising. I don't think "muscles" is what he needs...try again.

Now where is the Zednik vs Zubrus thread?

GoHabs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 02:25 PM
greatlakeshab

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabs20 View Post
muscles? Have you ever seen this guy in person? I had to respond to this and I wish the pic of him I have was with my digital. It was with my old camera. The muscles popping out from his tshirt is really surprising. I don't think "muscles" is what he needs...try again.

Now where is the Zednik vs Zubrus thread?
Okay I'll take the Zednick one. I admit Zed would be better with his one hand on the stick cut to the net then the floppy little Samso going in circles

greatlakeshab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 02:28 PM
GoHabs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakeshab View Post
Okay I'll take the Zednick one. I admit Zed would be better with his one hand on the stick cut to the net then the floppy little Samso going in circles

don't diss the 1 handed man.
Samsonov will be an upgrade on Zednik and Bulis payroll upgrade?

GoHabs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 03:41 PM
westcoast habsfan

I stayed up and watched the whole freakin' thing. I'm no longer living on the westcoast (seriously considering changing my name) so I didn't get to bed until 4 a.m.

I'm a poster who was glad to see Ribeiro go, not a fan.

Two things that stuck with me:

Ribeiro is way better than Bulis (not a surprise really).

Bulis has a lot of speed, and that's about it. He took a dumb penalty on a penalty-kill in overtime to hand Dallas a 5-on-3 for about a minute and 30 seconds. He hooked Modano in the Dallas zone, almost 200 feet from his own net. It was so obvious even I saw it and normally I never catch hooking penalties when watching the game on T.V. because they are so dubious.

He did bring a physical element, but offensively he's useless, basically he just gives the puck away. Defensively, he's average. In other words the player we saw in Montreal.

Ribeiro was Ribeiro. He's very good at moving the puck through the neutral zone and breaking the trap with one pass. (Plekanec breaks the trap with sheer speed, and agility like Koivu.) That's his forte. He rarely gets his passes picked off in the neutral zone. Because he's playing with Morrow and Mietennen (?) that pass gets dumped in and those two get in on the forecheck and start the cycle. (With Montreal that pass would go to Kovalev who would then start a rush.).

He still has good vision and still is an excellent passer.

However, he also is easily pushed off the puck especially down low at both ends of the ice. Vancouver did a good job of taking away his behind the net move, which pretty much everyone is aware of as his one big move, and were able to trap him and get the puck off him along the boards. His puck protection skills are not that great (IMO, this is one area that Plekanec is better than him and why Pleks is a better defensive player.). There is little physical play, and rarely does he venture into high traffic areas. He was able to make a hit on Cowan because Cowan didn't see him coming...in other words a vintage Ribeiro hit.

Basically, he was the same player he was in Montreal only now he's in Dallas. There is absolutely no upside to Ribeiro. He is what he is...useful at times, a liability at other times. I seriously believe that Bulis is regressing though.

I also watched the S.J. - Nashville game and I have to say Rivet looks a whole lot better as a player in a Sharks uniform than he did in Montreal. I think the move revitalized him...either that or he just stopped being sick.

westcoast habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 11:18 PM
habs-stars2006

GO STARS GO!!! i watched the first 3 OT, then gave up. thk g-d cause it would have been devastating to watch my stars lose after 6 periods of hockey. All i can say is that vancouver is luongo, luongo is vancouver. I'm confident dallas will come back cause while turco isnt as good as luongo, dallas has amazing defense and superior offense.
I loved watching turco last nite. that guy is made of iron. when they killed the penalty in OT, he was incredible. The clearing attempts were daring and succesful.
I like ribeiro and he had a great season, but he was horrible last night. He needs to be a bigger presence. if they want to score on luongo, ribs has to set up plays.
Bulis is crap and always has been, both on the habs and on vancouver. hes no better than a 4rth line player. he takes dump penalties all the time and whines. Hu needs him.
GO STARS GO!!( my adopted team after my habs betrayed me)

habs-stars2006 is offline   Reply With Quote