HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey History Books

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2003, 06:57 AM
GoM

vCash: 500
Hockey History Books

Right now, the only one I have is Ultimate Hockey...which is a good, big book, covers alot of stuff, but only a general overview of what happened in each decade.

If anyone could recommend me some great 'all purpose' and specific hockey history books, It'd be much appreciated

Oh god I hope I don't come off as too nubish o

Old
12-18-2003, 07:47 AM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoM
Right now, the only one I have is Ultimate Hockey...which is a good, big book, covers alot of stuff, but only a general overview of what happened in each decade.

If anyone could recommend me some great 'all purpose' and specific hockey history books, It'd be much appreciated

Oh god I hope I don't come off as too nubish o
Well, if you got a general overview of each decade, I would recommend the "The Great Book of Hockey" by Stan and Shirley Fischler which gives you a general overview of each season in the NHL up to 95-96 and a chapter on what went before the formation of the NHL. It gives you a few pages on each season and has some small profiles of signifcant players. It's good for increasing your general knowledge of the NHL's history, although the authors do tend to carried with following a storyline sometimes.

Old
12-18-2003, 10:26 PM
dirt

The NHL had a 75th anniversary book worth looking for. The photos from the early years were great (IMHO).

"Forever Whalers" by Jack Lautier. Bios of every player in Whaler history and any stat you would want to know.

Old
12-19-2003, 01:41 AM
Lard_Lad

Total Hockey. If you thought Ultimate Hockey was big, TH has four times as many pages. It's definitely the most comprehensive hockey history book out there.

Old
12-20-2003, 08:17 AM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loose Cannon
Total hockey first and second editions, Total NHL that just came out this year are great books. They are by Dan Diamond and his staff who work on the NHL Official Guide and Record book.

I definitely would not read and believe anything by Stan and Shirley Fischler (Are they one and the same person?)
I'm not a big fan of their writing style either, but in a book like the one above, they more or less have to just give the facts.

Old
12-20-2003, 08:01 PM
Daryl Shilling

A must-have for hockey history buffs is also The Klein and Reif Hockey Compendium. There are editions for 1986, '87, and 2001.

Daryl

Old
12-20-2003, 08:33 PM
Lowetide

Both editions of Total Hockey are just wonderful, include massive stats info including junor and minor league totals.

Punch Imlach was a dreadful man but both of his books are exceptional and offer insight into the NHL from the early 60s through the early 80s (The titles are "Hockey is a Battle" and "Heaven and Hell in the NHL").

Ultimate Hockey by Glenn Weir, Jeff Chapman and Travis Weir is another fine book with the NHL's history by decade. Very accurate descriptions of NHL's big stars complete with comparisons of yesterday's stars to today's stars (they compare Eddie Shack with Claude Lemieux for instance, and that's an incredibly good comp).

Roy MacGregor's ROAD GAMES ia a nice book about the beginning of the Ottawa Senators. Although Mel Bridgman probably hates it, this book gives insight into the Sens during the expansion process.

MIAMI ICE by Dave Rosenbaum is a similar book to the one above, except they take you through the Panthers expansion and their initial success. Better written that Road Games, or at least more interesting content.

The Official National Hockey League 75th Anniversary Commemorative Book is one of my prized possessions. It contains the complete protected and draft lists from the 1967 expansion, as an example. This is of interest of few, but I spent YEARS looking for that list. Great, great book.

Rand McNally published a book called THE STANLEY CUP in 1976, it had every Cup from the beginning through 1975. Pitcure and detail heavy, doubt it's available in any but the most obscure book shops.

Another book along that line comes from the NHL and is called YEARS OF GLORY, 1942-1967, THE SIX TEAM ERA. Those years are covered in great detail, and is the source of thousands of interesting facts.

Two new books that caught my eye this year are PLAYERS, The Ultimate A-Z Guide, from Doubleday Canada and written by Andrew Podnieks. Very interesting reading, and at least one item on every player who ever played an NHL game.

PIL has a new book called HOCKEY CHRONICLE out this year, mostly a picture book but some interesting items scattered here and there. Page 26 has a picture of Hobey Baker, for instance, I'd never seen one before.

My favourite hockey book is Scotty Bowman, A LIFE IN HOCKEY, and would suggest that particular book as a solid choice.

Old
12-21-2003, 03:49 PM
GoM

Thank you for that list..UH is the only one I have, but several of those look to figure into my future

Old
12-29-2003, 08:08 PM
devilsfan26

Send a message via AIM to devilsfan26
What is the difference between the first and second editions of Total Hockey?

I have the first edition, so would it be a waste to buy the second edition?

Old
12-30-2003, 04:14 AM
Lowetide

I found the first edition better to be honest, they detailed the early entry drafts with more detail.

The second book does have some nice articles, and of course, updated stats.

Honestly, though, if the bindings hadn't blown out on the first one I probably would have saved my money.

Closed Thread